Prologue

My First Love Story; Diary of a MMA Fighter (Short Hiatus)

"Are you really going to audition for this?" Asked Moonhong oppa, who was holding on to the audition poster for the upcoming reality television show called Roommate by Seoul Broadcasting System (SBS). 

"Yea, why not?" I asked rhetorically.

It was a bright and sunny Monday morning in the middle of March. Spring has official begun but the temperature was still cold as hell. We were both waiting for the lift in the lift lobby of the SBS building in Yangcheon-gu estate. Moonhong oppa had kindly volunteered to accompany me for my first broadcasting audition.

This will be my first and my last. I made a little promise with myself.

It had been nearly a year and a third since I signed a contract with Road FC to join their new MMA warrior team named Team One in 2013. Moonhong oppa was my boss and my manager. He was truly an angel sent from heaven, who came into my life and helped me out during the lowest and darkest point of my life. He was the one who suggested that I try out for this casting audition to get my name out to the world. It was nothing but a new marketing tactic to introduce myself to the people of South Korea before my official debut match set in August 2014.

To become a media sensation. That should be your aim. I whistled as I recalled what Moonhong told me a few days back.

Most of my oppas at my agency had encouraged to go for the audition because they said that it would help me and would help my agency to get more sponsorships to support our matches. Don't get me wrong, I do love my oppas and they are like my second family in Seoul. I understood exactly where they were coming from and I really wanted to do this for their sake because they are my family. 

Moonhong oppa sighed as we both entered the lift that had arrived to bring us up.

"Why, oppa? You were the one who told me to do this." 

He threw his hands up as if to surrender. "Well, but I never expected you to agree! This-" He pointed to our surroundings, the shiny mirrors on all four sides of the lift interior, "is so not you, Gayeon-ah."

"Oppa, I am a fighter but I am still a girl. I like to put on make up and look pretty too!" I argued. I had woken up an hour earlier this morning to specially prepare for the audition - Banila.co's CC Cream, 3CE's Cream Foundation, Clio's Eyeliner, Etude House's Honey Red Blusher and Innisfree's Tinted Lip Balm. It was true that I enjoyed putting on make up but I had never actually bothered to waste time doing so because it usually get ruined in less than 5 minutes into my daily trainings.

He laughed. That was the Moonhong oppa that I remembered. The Moonhong oppa had a hearty laughter and wide smile plastered on his face everyday. Despite his intimidating size, he was actually a warm-hearted boy at heart. That was the Moonhong oppa that I liked. 

"Ya, let me take a good look at you." He said as he stared at my make up, making me feeling very self-conscious suddenly. "Mmmm, you actually do look prettier with it. You should put on more."

I blushed at his compliments. For a very long time since I began training in Hapkido and Kickboxing, nobody actually complimented on my beauty anymore. Most of the time, the people I met would say, "Wow, Gayeon-ah. You have such a... such a... grand body for a girl your age."

It wasn't because I was very buffed or very big. I was just slightly more muscular than most girls my age, especially at my thigh areas since I am trained in Kickboxing when I was very young.

Ding! Level 8. Doors are closing!

There was a female secretary sitted at the receiption counter. She looked up when we got out of the lift. 

"Good morning, how may I help you?"

"Uh, I-I am here for an audition. For Roommate." My voice trembled slightly from my nervousness. 

"Oh yes! Our producers are expecting you. Please follow me, I will bring you there!" 

"I will wait for you at one of these sofa." Moonhong oppa gestered at the brown leathered seats near the full-glass windows. 

I nodded before turning around to follow the receptionist down the long corridor with many doors on both sides of the walls. Her heels were making loud clicking sound against the marbled floor tiles.

I guess they don't use carpets everywhere in this building.

"My name is Kim Jiyeon. I am one of the producers for Roommate. The other producers are waiting for you at the casting room. We have a lot of meeting rooms here on this level and the casting room is right at the end of this corridor." She said while trying to conjure some form friendly conversations. I felt small and tiny as I walked beside her. She was taller than average but her heels made her seem even taller than normal average girls. She was wearing a girlie ivory bodycon dress, which emphasised her slim and long body figure, with a while structured blazer thrown across her shoulder. Her wavy long hair fell perfectly behind her back. 

She's so pretty. And skinny. I thought to myself as I looked down at what I was wearing - my favourite white camisole with navy blue skinny jeans and a leather jacket that my team had got for me during my 19th birthday.

Nothing special or pretty about my outfit.

"We are here!" She announced finally as we stood outside a big tinted glass door. 

"Ready?" She asked with one hand holding the metal handle of the door. She smiled as if she was really expecting an answer from me.

"Ever ready." I replied nervously.

"Good!" She cheered before opening the door. The strong while light shone brightly in contrast to the cozy and warm corridor. I was blinded for a second as I attempted to walk in as gracefully as I could manage.

Jiyeon, the lady who brought me here, had left me standing confusedly at the door and went over to join her team of producers behind the long wooden table. There was a long mirror covering the walls behind the producers. 

This must have been a convertible dance studio.

"Good morning Gayeon-ssi. How are you feeling today?" Asked one of the guys behind the table. At that moment, I realized that Jiyeon was the only female producer on the team.

"Uh, goo-good morning. I feel great!" I attempted to greet enthusiastically with a plastered smile on my face. 

"Awesome! Why don't you give us an introduction of yourself." The same guy said.

"Okay. My name is Song Gayeon and I am a trained MMA fighter. Uh." I paused for a moment, unsure of what else to say about myself. "I am 19 years old and I am from Jeju-do."

"So, Gayeon-ssi. Tell us why you want to join this reality TV show?" Jiyeon asked.

"Well, I have been living by myself in Seoul for quite some time already. It gets kind of lonely and boring to be by myself all the time. So I thought that joining this TV show would be an interesting experience for me. My oppas encouraged me to do it too." 

"Oppa? You have an oppa? How come it is not reflected in your application?" Jiyeon questioned.

"Oh, uh. They are my oppas from my Road FC team. We are not blood-related."

The first guy who spoke laughed loudly. "Oh, I see. Great great. Seems like you have some good companies."

"Uh, yeah. I guess so?" 

"Are you nervous, Gayeon-ssi?" The guy beside Jiyeon asked.

"Yes. I am."

"Don't worry. We are not here to eat you up. Now, please face the camera on your left. I want you to pretend that you have just woken up." 

Huh? You want me to act in front of the camera? But I can't act! I nearly cried out loud upon hearing his request.

I turned to face the camera, awkwardly shifting my body. I stretched my hands out in the air and stiffled a fake yawn. I covered my mouth immediately, remembering that I have to act gracefully. I looked back at the producers and smiled.

"Go on. Show us what you do after you wake up." The second guy instructed.

Okay, this is definitely very so awkward.

I pretended to throw my blanket aside and walked closer to the camera. I pretended to pick up my toothbrush and toothpaste from the basin and started unscrewing the cap on the toothpaste. I squeeze the toothpaste tube with much strength and pretended to fill the surface of my toothbrush with the toothpaste. Then, I began brushing my teeth.

I know, this is awkward. Please ask me to stop already. I prayed as I silently brush my teeth. I looked into the camera, pretending that it was a mirror instead, and started to admire my morning self on the mirror as I brushed my teeth.

I the tap and began rinsing my mouth. I gaggled the water in my mouth and spitted it out. I washed the toothbrush and put it back by the basin.

"Cut. Okay, Gayeon-ssi, you may stop now." 

"Thank you!" I replied more than gladly as I walked back to the center of the room.

"Alright, I think we have seen enough. We will call you once we have confirmed your casting." Jiyeon said before standing up. "I will send you out."

"Uh okay. Thank you for the audition." I gave a 90-degree bow in front of the producers before exiting. 

I opened the tinted glass door and ran right smack into somebody outside the casting room. 

"Ow." Both the stranger and I groaned as I held my head in my hands. I rubbed my forehead while trying to relieve the pain.

"Ar-are you okay?" The stranger coughed loudly. He was rubbing hard against his chest from the impact. 

"Ye, I am okay. Sorry about it." I replied as I looked up to see his face. 

He was very tall. Almost one and a half head taller than me, which explained why my head ran right smacked into his chest and not his shoulder nor his face. My neck felt strained as I tried to look up at his face. He had a pretty face. He had a black Chrome Heart snapback on his head. The ends of his hair were exposed and I could see that he had his hair dyed red. His ears were big and they were sticking out proudly at the sides of his head. He had a big wide smile plastered on his face. 

"Ah, you must be Gayeon-ssi! I heard a lot about you from my manager hyung. He said he saw a few of your matches at the Road amateur events and he was very impressed by your capabilities. My name is Park Chanyeol. I am from EXO." He grinned as he extended his hand for a handshake.

"Uh, hello. Nice to meet you!" I said as I grabbed his hand a little bit too tightly I think because I thought I saw him wincing slightly. The momentary pained expression on his face disappeared quickly in a flash. 

Maybe your mind is playing tricks on you. Song Gayeon-ah.

"Are you done with your casting?" He asked happily, not showing any signs of injury.

"Yeah, I think they are waiting for you now." I pointed back at the room.

"Okay, I guess I hope to see you at our new house!" He laughed before entering the casting room.

He looked kind of cute. Wait. Since when are you into cute guys? Never.

"Are you ready to go?" Jiyeon asked impatiently as I stood there staring at the empty door.

I jumped a little as I bounced back into the reality. "Ye!"

Finally done with my prologue! :D It is a pretty long one for my standard. HEHE. Hope you guys like it! The following chapters will all be in a diary format from Gayeon's POV! I'm gonna rewatch every episode of Roommate before I start writing, which means I get to see my Chanyeol oppa again! Today's EXO second concert in Seoul! Did you guys watch it? I didn't because I am not in Seoul currently. *Sobs* CALL ME DADDY, I CAN'T WAIT FOR MY OPPA'S COMEBACK STAGE!

Please subscribe, upvote and drop your comments if you like the story so far! I will make it more exciting for you to enjoy it :D