Tomorrow

Tinker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter
 

The next morning, it’s  breakfast of eggs and coffee courtesy of Jiwon. There’s a brand new spring to his step and a song to his every movement, like he’s been renewed, like he’s undergone a software update. Jinhwan pretends to help Jiwon set up the table, all the while bantering with the droid. Hanbin is already seated at the dining table with this uncharacteristically carefree smile on his face, occasionally pitching in some dad jokes that Jiwon can’t help but laugh at because they’re just so unfunny. Laughter echoes in the walls of their little home like it never did, and it feels quite like the dream. If Jinhwan has not yet let go of how strange the past night has been, he’ll gladly pinch himself on the arm to wake himself up. But he knows that’s not happening.

Jiwon did give him a heads up of how much things are about to change. It’s just so bizarre having to let go of all the things he’s ever known, but at the same time, it’s also liberating. Jinhwan can’t say he doesn’t like it because he’s enjoying every moment of it. He only wishes it happened sooner.

“You really should have come with us last night,” Jinhwan interjects when there’s a break in the conversation.

Jinhwan feels his heart swell seeing his two closest people just being in the same space without trying to kill each other that he can’t help but voice it out. “See, I’d always known you two would get along together. We really should have done this sooner.”

“Yeah we should have,” Jiwon agrees, bobbing his head up and down, smiling.

“You can just go with us next time,” Jinhwan pipes up, then, with less excitement and more doubt, he adds, “I mean, there is a next time,” he turns to Jiwon and then to Hanbin, asking for confirmation, “Right?”

Hanbin picks up his glass and drinks from it, throwing Jiwon a glance before putting his glass back down.  He turns to Jinhwan and tells him, “Yeah, sure.” He smiles a timid smile, the corners of his mouth barely lifting up. “We can do that.”

The effect is immediate on Jinhwan: he breaks out into a grin, hands hopeful and clasped together in front of him. “Really?”

“Of course,” Hanbin humors him, before distractedly glancing at his wristwatch. He alternates between Jiwon and Jinhwan. “Why don’t you two start planning that? I have work to finish,” he suggests.

“Right now?” Jinhwan asks, already sad that Hanbin is leaving the table.

“Yeah…but if you need me, I’ll just be in the lab.”

And if Jinhwan doesn’t have eyes only for Hanbin, he’ll notice Jiwon swallowing a lump in his throat, and with it the flickering look of unease on his face before he’s pasting a smile back on just in time for Jinhwan to turn back to him after watching Hanbin disappear into his room.

“What was that?” Jinhwan mutters to himself, but Jiwon’s android ears pick up on the sound.

“What do you mean?” Jiwon asks.

“He changed in like a blink.”

“But hasn’t he always been like that?”

Jinhwan turns to Jiwon and blinks at him as if willing him to elaborate.

“He’s always been dismissive. I haven’t seen him smiling like that since I stayed here. Think about it: it’ll be easier for him to revert to his old ways than maintain a sociable personality. People don’t change that easily.”

Jinhwan stares blankly at Jiwon, his mind elsewhere.

“I think you should manage your expectations,” Jiwon tells him, and Jinhwan understands what he’s trying to say.

“Right?” It’s just the second time that day that Jinhwan says the same word, but the sound is now without the excitement and urgency it had the first time. He’s asking, but the way he says it tells Jiwon that he already has his answer.

Jiwon knows better than to let Jinhwan dwell on that, so he tells him, “Why don’t we plan that trip to the rooftop now?”

“Tomorrow. Let’s do it tomorrow!”

And it’s effective in alleviating Jinhwan’s thoughts. It’s like he has a one-track mind, only able to manage one emotion at a time. Jiwon would really hate to break his heart.

“Yeah, let’s ask Hanbin later,” and Jiwon tries to match his enthusiasm.

Jinhwan smiles brightly at Jiwon as if nothing happened.

“By the way, do you remember when I told you I’d give you something? I think it’s time we do that.”

Jinhwan alternates between both of Jiwon’s eyes, racking his memory. His eyebrows meet on his forehead when he doesn’t arrive with the answer. “What is it?”

“Let’s go to your room first,” Jiwon tells Jinhwan.

“What about the dishes?” Jinhwan asks, but Jiwon is already on his feet, already has his hand around Jinhwan’s wrist.

“Later. We can do that later.”

 

 

When they arrive at Jinhwan’s room, Jiwon stops and studies every part of Jinhwan’s room like it’s the first time he’s been inside. He takes his time as he walks to the wall where Jinhwan’s collection of computer memory is plotted. Jinhwan is not even a step behind; Jiwon is still holding his wrist.

He draws in a deep breath and sighs. When he turns to Jinhwan, there’s a smile on his face, small but bright nonetheless.

“Do you take tenants?” Jiwon asks, and with a swift move, he points to the wall. “Let me live here.”

Jinhwan gives him a puzzled look. “What are you talking about?”

The smile on Jiwon’s mouth falters; Jinhwan doesn’t notice. Instead, his attention is on his own hand that Jiwon is leading to his chest.

“Take my heart. I told you you could take my heart, too.”

And, as if on cue, Jiwon’s chest whirs loudly, and Jinhwan feels the vibration. It’s not the same whirring he’s used to encountering with the droids that Hanbin let him look at. Jiwon’s whirring has always been heavier than usual, but this time, it sounds frantic, like it’s trying to recover its lost rhythm.

Jinhwan can’t tear his eyes away from Jiwon’s chest. “Y-you want me to open you up?”

Jiwon smiles again. His gaze is soft on Jinhwan. He looks at peace with his decision. He’s made his mind up.

“Yes.”

“What if something goes wrong?” Jinhwan asks, and he looks up at Jiwon.

“Silly, I trust that that won’t happen with you. Besides, Hanbin is just a call away,” Jiwon reassures Jinhwan, giving his hand a squeeze.

Jinhwan stares intently at Jiwon as if he’s trying to decide. Then, after a moment, he resolutely nods at Jiwon and gives him a smile. “Okay. Let’s do this.”

 

 

Jiwon lies on Jinhwan’s bed and makes himself comfortable while Jinhwan lays out his tools on his nightstand. Jiwon sighs and imagines it’s night-time. In his mind’s eye he sees the stars that litter Jinhwan’s night sky. And he imagines what’s it will be like to lie down with the boy, to be there with him for the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter