Home

Tinker
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

 

 

Jiwon finds Hanbin’s house a bit empty. The walls are mostly just white and the carpeted floors a similar color. The windows are an optical illusion, since they’re really just the lights, and Jinhwan has told him they can modify the weather and night-and-day settings from Hanbin’s room but Hanbin has been the only one to do so. Jiwon guesses that the boy has never seen the sky, not that there’s something to see seeing as it’s always too bright out.

Jiwon wonders how Jinhwan knows the time and date since he hasn’t seen a single calendar or clock around the house and he unknowingly voices that out.

Jinhwan replies after a second by saying, “I don’t need to know.”

And Jiwon realizes then that it is Jinhwan himself that makes the house home.

 

 

Jinhwan sits on the couch in front of the television, while Jiwon fiddles with the electronic device because he isn’t contented with the program showing, which looks more like a slideshow of colors, and sometimes candid pictures of Jinhwan that he guesses are taken by Hanbin.

Jiwon reminds Jinhwan of himself, considering he likes to fiddle with things as well. He has given up on the television though. He just chuckles, the sound empty. “Hanbin says that that TV is hopeless.”

Jiwon stops what he’s doing and turns to Jinhwan, a hand on his hip. “You sure?”

 “Yep.”

“We have androids and he can’t fix a mere TV?” Jiwon is incredulous of the situation.

Jinhwan just shrugs.

“Have you never seen a proper TV show? I mean, your face is pretty but it’d be much more interesting than this, no offense.” Jiwon motions to the device.

“I watch Titanic with him sometimes,” Jinhwan replies, missing Jiwon’s innuendo.

“Titanic? That’s really old!”

“It’s a good one.”

“I can’t argue with you on that,” he gives Jinhwan a smile as he switches off the TV. He then crashes next to Jinhwan and their shoulders brush, not that Jinhwan minds. Jiwon has learned over the days the smaller guy plays it safe, and is both innocent and wide-eyed, figuratively. He’s always eager to listen to Jiwon’s stories from the ‘outside world’. Jiwon wants to bring him someday if time—and Hanbin—permits, which isn’t likely.

“Do you know why I can’t stay at one place for too long?” Jiwon asks, and Jinhwan turns to him in anticipation.

“Because it’s a crime,” Jiwon says. “I’m one of the first droids and I’m not supposed to be here. I should be gone a long time ago, because I’m faulty in more ways than one, and really, I do nothing but harm to the ones around me. That’s why people are looking for me, and you can turn me in if you want to.

 “I was kicked out when you found me, and then I shut down.”

“I won’t do that to you.” Jinhwan places a hand on top of Jiwon’s, much like how the latter did some days ago and it surprises them both. Regardless, Jinhwan smiles at him, and he finds that it is all kinds of beautiful he forgets to breathe, not that droids usually need to, but Jiwon is a special case in the way that he’s an experiment more than anything and that he needs to oxygenate his body.

He has never really thought about it since his life has always been fast-paced, but he thinks as he watches Jinhwan from the corner of his eyes that just maybe he wants to settle down. He wants to let Jinhwan see the world, wants to see the expression on his face as he absorbs everything. His heart swells at the thought of it. What heart though, he wonders inwardly.

He has never spent so much time with the same person before. The others—both humans and droids like him—treated him arrogantly, like he’s less than everybody else, which is probably the

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter