Finding a reason for tomorrow

When You Saved Me

The moment I woke up, I saw a man sitting a foot away from me. His eyes were dark brown; they were almost black. He had really red lips against his tan skin. Just by looking at how broad his shoulders were told me that he is a man not to mess with.

“Hi! How do you feel? I found you along the River of Infinite. You’ve been unconscious for three days now,” said the man.

I tried getting up, but I ended up on the ground since I was very weak. The man held out his hand and offered to help me up, but I shoved his arm away and yelled,” I don’t need your help!” and ran out the hut.
    
The outside world is a lot worse than what I had imagine. The last time I was around commoners was when I sneaked out of the palace with my servant, Na Young when I was thirteen. We disguised ourselves as boys and everyone around us were dressed properly. Here, many people had holes on their clothing, their faces were dirty, their hair were messy, and some were bared chest. There were beggars almost everywhere and some were eating off of the ground. Many people were shopping but more were looking at me. I tried walking away but more and more people came to me. They said nothing, but the looks on their faces told me that something was on my face. I ran to the nearest river and took a look at my reflection. There, I saw not just my face, but also a long scar traversing across my face. I screamed.

I couldn’t find a reason for me to live anymore. My entire family died before my eyes, I have no money, no place to stay at, and my face... I shall end my life myself so that monstrous emperor could not find me and kill me in a cruel way. I jumped into that river and started to think about my life. I guess this is what people do before they die. As I close my eyes, something was wrapped around my right wrist. I thought it was seaweed so I tried flicking it away. I did not succeed so I opened my eyes to see what it was. It was a hand pulling me. I used all my strength but it didn’t come off. After all that pulling and the lack of air, I fell unconscious. 

When I woke up, it was already dawn. I realized my clothes were changed and there I saw the man again and I slapped him. And my palm throbbed with every pulse.

The man turned his head towards me, his face not looking like it hurt at all. “So, this is how you repay your saviour? Did your parents teach you manners or what?” asked the man.

“Don’t ever talk about my parents in that disrespectful manner. But I don’t think your parents taught you much either. I don’t think a man is supposed to help a woman change her clothes without her permission,” I said.

“Oh, sorry about that. You were all wet and I worried that you would catch a cold, so…,” explained the man, “Also, you got a scratch on your face. I don’t think it is infected but it might leave….”

“A scar, I know. Thank you for your concern but next time, don’t stop me from doing anything.”

“Life is far too precious to end it like that. I know it might be hard for you now, but it will get better.”

“I wish that worthless emperor knew how precious a life was too, before he killed my family!”

“King Lu killed your family?”

“Didn’t  you know? In order to take over my father’s throne, he killed every single one of my family. He thinks I’m dead, but what does that stupid emperor know. An eye for an eye. I swear I’m going to do the same he did to me. I shall avenge for every single one he killed.”

“Um, Princess, I know you must be furious with King Lu  right now, but his family is innocent. You know how it feels like to lose a family member, but what about the mothers who loses their sons?”

“You think I don’t know the pain of losing a child? I watched my children die. Three are dead because of this monster who calls himself king!” I ran into the forest and the man ran after me, “You know what day today is? Today is my second son’s  birthday and the day when my first son died. If this cruel man didn’t want to rule the kingdom, we would’ve had a joyful birthday party and my son would be able to rest in peace!” I started crying.

“Well, three days ago was when my father passed away. He died in the palace too. It was painful to hear the news, but it is what it is. My mother is at her hometown now, trying to leave her sadness there and bring back their happy memories. She won’t be back in a while, so if you want to stay here, you can. At least I can take care of you,” the man tried to sound indifferent. But it didn’t work. I didn’t miss those red rimmed eyes.

I plan to leave the very next night after this man is asleep. I should not tell him since he would stop me from avenging.

But what if someone tries to stop me, or kill me? I should learn a few tricks for protection. 
    
At noon, when he finally wakes up, I ask him to teach me a few moves to protect myself. He hesitated a bit, then taught.

That night, when I heard him snore, I got out of bed, lit up a lantern, got a knife and started to make my way out the door.

Suddenly, a hand was on my shoulder. I turned around and saw the man. The man had a look on his face that was not normal. He looked like he was in pain so I examined his body and found out. 

I stabbed him.

I looked at the ground and there was a pool of blood. Soon, the man was there too. Now would be a perfect time for me to leave when no one can stop me. 

But I couldn’t move.

This stranger, had his hand around my ankle.