Chapter 2: Fateful Letter

Empty Note

 

Rustling paper. Howling wind. Dark sky. Cold weather. And Friday the 13th. 

 

Friday the 13th. The day she received the piece of paper that identifies her as a widow. The day she couldn't see colors. The very day that her husband was supposed to be home. 

 

And instead? Amber Lee got a handful of her broken heart. 

 

Red liquid seeping down her shirt as she sat by her balcony, she considered the value of life. It was almost impossible to love life as it was. But how could she become a murderer? She wasn't a cold-hearted killer on the run. No, Amber Lee is just a normal woman who had married the man she loved for five years. Five long and beautiful ears. 

 

Now, he had left her. The only man who had accepted her for who she is and love her without questions. He left her. Alone in this cold, brutal world where everybody tried to get the highest social position. Where no one can understand the importance of love. 

 

Pondering silently about how she should live from now on, Amber sighed and carefully get up from her chair. Accepting the loss of her loved one with bittersweet memories, she now has to decide how she should live her life. For both her and her unborn baby. It was as if fate has decided to abandoned her. Or maybe it did give up on her. After all, she was already three months pregnant. Her stomach was bulging slightly and it was no longer possible to hide the child anymore. He left it for her, and she would never kill his last present to her. 

 

It was supposed to work out. She was supposed to surprise him. They were supposed to raise their baby together. Their family was supposed to be complete, with all three of them smiling happily. 

 

Instead, she was left without a husband, and the poor unborn child will no longer have a father to guide it alone the way. There was no one to teach the baby how to protect itself, and a mother alone isn't enough. Amber knew she was powerless against pressure, and she couldn't bare the thought of raising her baby up without a father. She knew her child would be tease by its peers, and there was nothing she could do to stop it. 

 

As fresh tears once again trailed down her face, Amber felt her whole world spinning and spinning. Her head felt like a hammer was hitting it every five seconds, and she could barely kept herself upright. As her vision got blurry, she cupped the small bulge of her stomach protectively and collapsed onto the floor. 

 

It was the start of her journey, and yet the mother-to-be felt lost. She didn't know the way out of this maze, and without her guardian star to guide her, she knew she wouldn't be able to find the way out. However, will a miracle happen and will she get to see her guidance constellation again? Will she be able to get over him, and really start living her life as her own while protecting her child? 

We don't know what will happen. Nobody does. Fate and destiny are two intertwine factors, but can they find each other to produce the miracle that is happiness? We don't know, but sometimes, God has a way of playing jokes on us, and this is one of his many star-crossed stories.