Chapter 1

Empty Note

The world shattered around her. The glasses crashed against the ground, flying off in all directions and piercing her legs. 

But she didn't care. Not anymore. The pain that overtook her whole body was too much for her to bear. It was like having her heart shred into pieces while she was alive. She could imagine fingers ripping her body apart as she lie still, shocked but motionless. She could feels poisonous nails grabbing her exposed heart and squeezing the life out of it. She could hear the screams that erupted from that was not meant to be a mean of rescue. 

It was too late. She was dead. Emotionally and mentally. There was no one to catch her. No one to hold her and tells her it was alright. Not anymore. 

Her vision became blurry as she watches droplets of water dripped onto the blank note she had in her hand. She had grabbed it and tear it apart. It was suppose to be a lifeboat. It was suppose to save her. It was suppose to make her feels love. But instead, all it did was pulled the one she love away from her. 

 


Wiping the tears off of her face, she repeated the words on the letter out loud. It was unbelievable. The letter was supposed to be from HIM. He had promised that he would make it back alive. He was supposed to surprise her at their share home with a goofy grin on his face, saying "I'm back!" And she was supposed to jump into his arms and kissed him to celebrate the reunion. Instead, a piece of paper that meant nothing to her was now in her hand. An empty note, she reminded herself. It was nothing. No words of regrets was written on it to be mail to her. It was just a piece of paper someone must have drop while picking up their mail, and by accident, it had ended up in her mailbox. 

And yet, as she stared at the cursed letter, she could clearly see the outline of his name. Lieutenant James Lee. Her husband. Her beloved. Her whole world. Here it was. The moment she knew her life was of no more use.