oo2

Day by Day

 

 

 

 

 

Ji Eun's POV

 

 

"Gikwang, you'll help me out, right?"

 

Gikwang was being quiet, ignoring my question. He looked like he was thinking about something, but when I looked deeply into his eyes, I could see that he was worried.

"Ji Eun," he called. I immediately sat beside him on the bench. "Yes?"

Gikwang looked down to his shoes. "How did you actually...get together with him?" he asked, ruffling his hair before he turned to me. I bit my lips right after I heard his question. How? I didn't know. It happened too fast.

"I don't know," I replied, heaving out a sigh. I honestly didn't know. Sooyeon was Joon's girlfriend. She was there when Joon 'accepted' me. She was there, and she looked so angry. I didn't want this to happen. Not if someone special to Joon was involved. I knew that she was Joon's girlfriend. Why did Joon break her heart? For me?

Gikwang saw me. He knew that I was dumbfounded.

"I'll help you," he said and I looked up. "I'll help you anytime you need me. I'm here," he said it again, tapping my head.

What he said made me smile. Lee Gikwang; I really liked to be with him, because he is my best friend forever. He was always there for me, help me. I gave him my brightest smile, trying to comfort myself and him. Gikwang was smiling too but then he looked down again, slowly sighing.

"What's wrong?"

Gikwang shook his head innocently. "Nothing, why?"

"You look depressed. Are you sure about helping me?" I said and Gikwang let out a chuckle. "No, I'm absolutely fine. Why worry about me? You should think about what you have to do with Joon."

I gasped. Oh no. I looked at my watch.

I'm so dead!

Then I realized that I was already 30 minutes late to meet Joon at the school gate.

"Meet me at the school gate, okay, Ji Eun? I'll be waiting."

I stood from the bench, grabbing my backpack on the ground within seconds. I started to run, leaving Gikwang behind. Gikwang was left baffled on the bench. He took his backpack as well and ran after me. "Yah, Ji Eun, wait for me!"

I didn't hear him. Instead, I ran faster and faster. I searched for Joon at the school gate. Then shortly afterwards, I found him leaning his back against a big tree, staring at his watch. He looked so angry. "LEE JOOOOOOON!!!"

"Lee Ji Eun!" yelled Joon, folding his arms against his chest. He motioned me to come nearer to him, which made me gulped in response. I slowly approached him step by step, continuously swallowing the leftover saliva in my mouth, hard.

 

No One's POV

 

 

Gikwang was still running, searching for the girl he liked. He saw her and right after that, he smiled while approaching her. He was standing about few meters away from her when he stopped, clearly stunned from what he saw.

"Don't ever be late again, understand?" asked Joon, holding Ji Eun's hand. Ji Eun looked so innocent that she didn't know what to do. She slowly nodded her head, giving him no reply.

Gikwang felt like trembling to the ground. He stared at the couple from afar, trying not to hurt himself. He saw Ji Eun, looking at her hand in Joon's grasp. Joon led her out of the school compound, probably walking home together. Gikwang stared at Ji Eun. Ji Eun was smiling. She smiled as she stared at Joon that was walking ahead of her. Seconds passed by and Joon turned to her and saw her. He did nothing but smiling back at her, holding her hand even tighter. 

Gikwang remained speechless. He didn't know what to think anymore. He didn't even know what to do. The image seemed so hurtful. He hated Joon so much. He hated Joon for a reason, and that was for taking Ji Eun away from him.

He was still standing there, unable to think of anything. He then rode his bike home, silently crying his heart out on the inside.

 

 

Ji Eun's POV

 

Joon was still holding my hand and I felt like screaming behind him. All these years I waited and now my Prince was holding my hand. I tried not to over react. Instead, I happily smiled, not noticing that Joon turned to look at me. He smiled back. "What are you so happy about?" he asked and I startled to death. I instantly turned away, and cleared my throat.

Joon let out a chuckle, shaking my hand. "So how long have you been stalking me, hmm?" His question made me gasped. What the-? He knew about me, stalking him? Noooo!

"I haven't stalked you before." I lied.

Joon ignored me. "Liar."

"No, I haven't!" I regretted it. No!

Joon let go of my hand and turned to me, walking backwards so he could face me. "Suit yourself, then. But remember this: every time you tend to stalk a guy, you have to make sure that you are not standing or sitting at an open place that seems so obvious for that guy to see you. It was your mistake that you were watching me from the school gate during my detention month where I could see you straight from the windows and the rooftop. From my point of view, you looked like a desperate fangirl."

 

OH. MY. GOSH. His words were like punches hitting my bare face. What a good start to a good relationship, Ji Eun! So stupid of you for doing that!

"But it's cute, though," he whispered with a small smile before facing the front again. I couldn't do anything other than being quiet. Although what he said sounded like the sweetest thing ever, I couldn't believe myself anymore. So careless of me, I thought.

"Hey, Joon..." I called. Joon turned to me, still walking. He widened his eyes.

"Hmm? What is it?"

I stuttered, "Are...are you sure about...about-"

"About what?"

"About... Me, being your... Uh..."

Joon seemed to know what I was asking. He then held my hand tight. "Yes, I'm sure. Why do you ask?" I pulled my hand out of his grasp and tucked my long front hair behind my ear. "Nothing. I was just wondering...about you...leaving Sooyeon...for me."

Joon stopped walking and I was surprised. "Don't mention her name anymore. I don't want you to have a connection with her. I have you now and you have me. That's all there is to it." Joon's words made me speechless.

He sounded angry, and serious. Not long after that, I instantly grabbed his arm. He turned to me, confused. "What?"

"We're here now. This is my home," I whispered, pointing to a house beside us. Joon looked at my house, and he shrugged. It seemed like he was examining it. "This is your house?" he asked. I nodded in return. "I'll be going now, okay? Go now, before my mom sees you. Go." I pushed him gently but Joon didn't move an inch. His face looked so blank like he didn't think of anything. Suddenly, Mom opened the main door.

"Ji Eun, you're home! And...who is that?" asked Mom as she had her eyes focused on Joon. I gulped hard, hitting Joon's arm. "Go now or I'll be dead! Please!" I whispered. Joon stared at me, then he pinched my cheek. When he turned to face Mom, I could see that clueless look on Mom's face.

"Hi! I'm her schoolmate and I feel like walking her home. Take a good care of her, okay? She can be too careless at times. Please make sure that she wakes up early tomorrow so that I can walk her to school. Thank you!" He waved at the speechless Mom. She was like a robot, nodding without saying anything. Joon turned to me. I was staring at him with my jaw dropped.

"Bye, Ji Eun. I'll call you tonight. See you tomorrow," whispered Joon before walking away. I was left dumbfounded at the gate, until Mom came to me.

 

"Is that your friend? He's handsome!"

I ignored Umma, heading straight to the door. I couldn't believe everything I saw today. Everything.

 

Meanwhile...

 

 

 

Gikwang slammed his bike to the ground. He felt like knocking his head to the walls, regretting everything that just happened. Why was his heart hurting too much?

 

'Tell me why, Ji Eun. Please tell me why.'

 

"LEE JI EUN!!!"

 

 

Ji Eun's POV

 

30th March.

Gikwang's birthday.

 

What will I give him? Socks? No, he had more than a dozen of it.

 

A necktie? Bingo!

 

"Gikwang, please open the door."

 

That was odd. I knew Gikwang never left the house. It was still early. I opened the small cupboard beside the door and saw that his shoes were still in there. He must be in the house, so I knocked again.

"Gikwang, I know you're in there! Please open the door. It's me, Ji Eun," I pleaded. Again, there was no reply. I took out my phone, yearning to call him. As I was browsing for his number, I received a phone call.

"Hello?" I answered.

I heard Joon's groan. "Where are you? You promised to meet me at the cafe. If you make me wait again this time, I swear that I will-"

"Alright! Alright! I'm sorry! I'll be there. Wait for me, okay?"

Joon hissed. "Wait? Did I just hear you say 'wait'? Lee Ji Eun, you get here NOW and I mean it. NOW-"

The call ended. I pushed the red button so hard that I didn't want to hear his nags anymore. I knocked the door again. This time, I knocked harder, and quicker. Like before, there was no reply from the guy inside the house. I heaved out a sigh. Where was he? Before I left, I placed the small black box on the shoe cupboard, still waiting for him to open the door. I planned to sing him a birthday song while handing him the box. I really wanted to see his smile. But clearly those won't happen. For now.

Suddenly, my phone vibrated. I checked it, there were four messages from Joon.

Oh gosh, this guy.

 

By: Joon

I am counting, here. 1,2,3,4,5,6...

 

By: Joon

Yah! Stop playing hide and seek with me! I mean it!

 

By: Joon

Where the Hell are you!?

 

By: Joon

Lee Ji Eun, please don't make me wait. I want to see you.

 

I laughed under my breath. This guy was really funny. I always liked it when he babbled ridiculous things. He could be really fierce but at the same time, he could be really... soft. I kept my phone back in my pocket then I walked to the city. Things were going beautiful, or so I thought.

 

 

Gikwang's POV

 

 

I looked at her from the upstairs' window. She was always pretty, dressed in her white blouse and pink skirt. I couldn't take my eyes off of her, not till the face of Lee Joon appeared in my mind. Why did he have to take away my girl? I know that I am better than that guy. Why couldn't Ji Eun see that? Why couldn't she see that all this time, I had been trying to make her mine?

My eyesight suddenly went blurry. Oh, man. I couldn't believe that I actually cried for this girl. But that's not the point here.

I saw that she received a phone call. She looked angry at first. But after she ended the call, she smiled. I knew it. It must be a phone call from that idiot. I could see that she knocked the door again. I didn't want to move away from my seat. I would rather watch her from the windows, looking straight at her. She was the broken piece of my heart.

Right after she left, I rushed to the door. I slowly rummaged through the shoe cupboard, searching for the small box she left me. I took it as soon as I caught the glimpse of it, grasping it hard. Feeling nervous, I read the sticky note glued on the box.

"HEY SLEEPYHEAD! HAVE A HAPPY BIRTHDAY OKAY? I HOPE YOU WILL GO THROUGH A GREAT YEAR. LEE GIKWANG, FIGHTING!"

I looked inside and there was a black necktie. When I took a closer look at it, I noticed that there was a small white carving that wrote,

 

Lee Gikwang is the best

 

I smiled. Lee Ji Eun, the wise, innocent, understanding, pretty, smart girl that I liked...was then with the guy I hated.

Lee Joon, if you ever treat my girl badly, I will be there for you to teach you a lesson.

 

 

Ji Eun's POV

 

"Ji Eun, is that your friend again?"

I was eating breakfast when Mom asked me. "Who? Gikwang?" Mom looked outside from the window. "No...he's your other friend. What is his name, again?"

I rushed to the window immediately. I gasped in return. Joon was waiting at the gate, kicking rocks on the dusty road. I was shocked to see him. Not to mention that he actually waited for me in front of my house, he even wore a black leather jacket on!  What was he trying to show my Mom? Did he want to show that he was a gangster? I freaked out.

"No!" I whispered, covering my mouth with my hands. Mom looked confused but she smiled anyway.

"Both of you are so close. What's going on with you two?"

I stuttered again, "Nothing!"

Mom raised an eyebrow. "That, is no nothing," she said as she pointed towards Joon. I groaned in defeat. "We're just friends, okay? He just wanted his files back. I borrowed them from him last night and I have to give them back to him today."

Oh dear. Please kill me now.

"Can't he just ask for them at school?" asked Mom in a teasing way. This time, I felt like fainting.

"No, he's Gikwang's classmate so it will be better if I give the files back to him now rather than facing dirty rumors at school, with people saying that I'm his..."

"His what?" asked Mom as she eyed me suspiciously.

I gulped in response. "His...girlfriend." Before Mom could ask another question, I instantly grabbed my backpack, heading to the door. "I'll be going now, bye!"

Joon saw me, smiling brightly. "Come on, let's go!"

I pulled him closer to me and I fiercely glared at him.

"What."

"Are."

"You."

"Doing?"

I spelled the words one by one that Joon almost laughed hearing them. Seeing my angry look, he ruffled his hair uncomfortably then he slowly nodded.

"Okay, I am sorry. I won't do it again. Let's go."

He took my hand then he walked me to school.

 

 

 

 

 

preview for the next chapter

 

 

"Lee Joon, who's going to be your cooking partner during the camping trip?"

 

"I choose Lee Ji Eun to be my partner, sir."

 

No. Things didn't turn out well. Everything turned upside down. What just happened?

 

 

"Gikwang, please don't leave me."

Lee Ji Eun

 

"Can't you see that Joon was just pretending to love you?"

Park Sooyeon

 

"Ji Eun, let's end this now."

Lee Joon

 

"You better take a good care of Ji Eun, Joon. She loves you, not me."

Lee Gikwang

 

"Ji Eun is missing!"

Song Jisook

 

 

 

 

CHAPTER 2: END