Chapter 8

Café Story

“So what are you gonna do about it?”

 

That was the sole question that had been running around ruthlessly in Dongwoon’s brain ever since that conversation with Mir.

 

The only helpful advice that Mir offered was that he either take action and do something about it or do nothing and suffer from the fact that he couldn’t get what he wanted.

 

If Dongwoon thought about it properly, it was quite true but it wasn’t as if Mir was doing any better in that particular area, which he pointed out to the boy as well.

 

He sighed, lounging on the couch as he watched the flickering screen. His pile of books lay on the table exactly where he left them a few days ago.

 

They had about a week off as a study break before exam week officially started next Monday. The first paper was one of the languages which Dongwoon figured he could ace easily. It was the memorizing subjects that really posed more of a problem, like History.

 

A familiar song played from the television set and Dongwoon raised his head in curiosity. It was a re-run of one of the dramas his mother used to watch.

 

The girl was laughing happily as the lead male surprised her at her doorstep and dragged her out to have fun. The scenes of them eating together and going to the beach were all sweet and fluffy, just the way his mother liked it.

 

Which would all be fine and innocent had Dongwoon not been wondering the entire time if Kikwang would enjoy that kind of thing.

 

Dongwoon's face met the cushion with a soft thud when he realised. He glared at the happy couple for good measure.

 

Now that he had been enlightened to his own feelings by Mir, it seemed to him as if Kikwang was invading his thoughts every so often.

 

As much as it made his heart flutter, it was beginning to scare him as well. Maybe as the saying went, ignorance was truly bliss after all. Maybe Dongwoon was just going insane. Maybe this was all Mir’s fault.

 

“Oh damn you, Mir.”

 

Dongwoon grabbed his phone and sent Mir a text saying just that with an added angry emoticon behind.

 

A few seconds later, his phone buzzed.

 

He figured Mir was probably slacking off as usual. The boy could probably do well if he tried but he was just too lazy to.

 

One look at the sender’s name was enough to make Dongwoon want to jump for joy and throw his phone against the wall at the same time.

 

From: Kikwang

Are you coming down today?~

 

Great.

 

Now he was thinking of his hyung again.

 

"Lee Kikwang, who are you and what did you do to me?" Dongwoon muttered into the cushion.

 

At times like this, he would just love to run to the nearest piano to calm himself down and sort out this jumble of thoughts in his head. It was what he usually did if he didn’t know what to do or was really frustrated with something. Music, always managed to soothe him without fail.

 

The only probably was that, this wasn’t his house (it was his Aunt’s) and the nearest piano happened to be… At the café.

 

Which was where the source of all his conflicting thoughts and feelings was, Kikwang.

 

So what if he really did like-like his hyung?

 

What if this was just some mere crush and idolization? The kind that will fade away after a few months. That would mean it would be horribly irresponsible of Dongwoon to act on it. 

 

He frowned.

 

What if Kikwang didn’t share the same feelings as him? There was a high possibility the guy was just really friendly and not interested in other males. So what if he was, why would he like someone younger than him? Dongwoon was still studying. Kikwang was working. He could definitely support himself, unlike Dongwoon who still had to get through university and he didn’t even know what he wanted to do then.

 

Even if they did go out, he would have to hide it. Dongwoon definitely couldn’t let his parents know. What about Kikwang’s family? They probably wouldn’t approve either. How would they end up in the future?

 

Wait, hang on.

 

Why was he even thinking this far?

 

Dongwoon sighed.

 

In the end, it all came back to the question of what was he going to do about it.

 

To chase or not to chase?

 

That was the ultimate question.

 

Dongwoon forced himself to his feet and grabbed his MP3 player. He needed to get out of his house to sort his head out. It had been some time since he had walked the streets alone to think but that might just be what he needed now.

 

---

 

Junhyung poked at his untouched glass of iced coke, glancing up every so often to search for a certain orange-haired waiter. His target was talking to another guy at the counter and they seemed to be close.

 

Every time Hyunseung looked up, Junhyung would look back down and pretend to stir his drink with his straw.

 

“He’s coming over,” Yoseob raised his head suddenly. “Behind you.”

 

“W-what?”

 

Junhyung’s eyes widened as he let go of his straw and attempted to leap to his feet which would’ve succeeded had he not been bending over the table closely. The only reward he came away with was his knee banging loudly against the table and a splash of coke on his shirt.

 

He sat back down immediately, rubbing his knee as he tried to ease the pain. There was going to be a huge bruise on it, of that he was very sure.

 

Just to make sure, Junhyung looked behind him and breathed a sigh of relief. Hyunseung wasn’t glowering at him like what he did previously. In fact, he barely even spared a glance over and was still at the counter talking.

 

Junhyung shot a glare at Yoseob who was attempting to conceal his laughter by covering his mouth with his hand.

 

“Well, thanks for that,” Junhyung muttered drily and grabbed a tissue to dab at the stain on his shirt.

 

“Anytime old friend,” the blond smiled angelically.

 

Junhyung rolled his eyes.

 

“Now really. As admirable or probably freaky as it is, in your case, trying to stalk him,” Yoseob advised slowly, as if talking to a small kid. “I think it’s best if you just went ahead with it instead of sitting here trying to be inconspicuous when he clearly can see you and is choosing to ignore you.”

 

Junhyung took a swig of whatever remained of his coke sulkily. “Shut up. You dragged me here.”

 

Yoseob had once again turned to him after class and announced that he felt like drinking coffee at the café. And for obvious reasons, Junhyung had declined to accompany him.

 

But the combined power of emotional Yoseob-style blackmail and the fact that the blond had probably anticipated his answer and hence, stolen his wallet somehow, had proved too much for Junhyung to take. Not that he could’ve gone home or anywhere else without his wallet anyway.

 

“True,” Yoseob shrugged. “But deep inside you wanted to come anyway and sitting in is better than trying to peer through the windows every time you walk pass. You’re gonna scare some people away like that you know and then he’ll really hate you.”

 

He raised his iced mocha and took a sip before putting it back down on the table, giving his best friend the raised eyebrow.

 

Yes, so Junhyung felt bad. Truly bad about what had happened.

 

Hyunseung’s outburst that day was a great shock to him. It was only after Yoseob had explained it to him, then he understood. If Junhyung had known, he would’ve been more considerate… Mindful. But alas, it was probably too late for that.

 

It was bad enough he felt guilty but he had a horrible habit himself of mulling over things. As a result the image of Hyunseung’s hurt expression had been playing itself over and over in his mind for the past few days.

 

The boy was strange. His way of thinking was strange. He was also insanely talented and stubborn and liked to push himself. But beneath that exterior, was a fragile Hyunseung. And Junhyung got a glimpse of it that day, no thanks of course, to himself.

 

Junhyung winced again in guilt at that thought.

 

He really needed to apologise.

 

“Yes, you do,” Yoseob nodded. “So what are you waiting for?”

 

Other people at this point would be wondering how the heck did Yoseob read their minds. It was quite disconcerting especially considering how he looked liked the epitome of innocence (which Junhyung knew he was anything but with Doojoon around).

 

Junhyung on the other hand, knew him well enough and long enough to just accept that this was the way he was. He also knew that Yoseob usually had a reason for doing things. And by dragging Junhyung here, Yoseob was probably showing his concern for his best friend in his own way.

 

Junhyung took a deep breath and stood up.

 

He was going to do it.

 

With Hyunseung in his sights, Junhyung began to walk over.

 

---

 

Kikwang checked his phone for what must be at least the tenth time in the past one hour.

 

Nope.

 

Still no reply from Dongwoon.

 

Perhaps the boy was busy?

 

Kikwang knew that he had the upcoming week off to study for the exams and he was hoping to at least see more than a glimpse of the other. To be honest, Kikwang was hoping to see Dongwoon chilling in the café everyday like last time, before the majority of the assignments started to pile up and he only came about three to four times a week. He kind of missed having someone to talk to while working.

 

He could be out with his friends too?

 

Kikwang sighed.

 

It was no use worrying either. Since when did he get so attached to this dongsaeng of his? It wasn’t as if he was his mother or something.

 

The boy could take care of himself after all. He was only a year younger than Kikwang.

 

A jingle from the door caused him to look up in time to see (no, not Dongwoon sadly) Hyunseung returning into the café with Junhyung behind him. The orange-haired male looked like he was having a battle between hiding a smile and bursting out in laughter, the end result being this quirky expression on his face.

 

Kikwang stared.

 

He knew Hyunseung wasn’t normal but this was… Beyond his normal self.

 

“H-hyunseung-ah.”

 

The other didn’t seem to hear him.

 

“Hyunseung!” Kikwang called, a bit louder this time.

 

Hyunseung jumped in shock and spun around, wide-eyed. “Y-yes?”

 

“Are you,” Kikwang gestured at him. “Okay?”

 

Hyunseung nodded. “Completely fine. Why?”

 

There was something wrong with him. Definitely.

 

“No, just. Concerned. That’s all.”

 

Hyunseung’s face lit up as he thought of something. “By the way, how much coke do we have left?”

 

Kikwang blinked back at him. “Erm, a lot? Why?”

 

Hyunseung smiled a little too brightly. “Great.”

 

God help him. What was wrong with Hyunseung?

 

Unless…

 

“Hyunseung,” Kikwang placed a concerned hand on his shoulder. “You should take a rest. I think you may be coming down with something too.”

 

“No, it’s alright,” The taller male brushed his hand off. “I’m okay…”

 

“Wait.”

 

Hyunseung turned around in horror.

 

“Don't tell me it was contagious?!”

 

Kikwang could only stare back openmouthed.

 

“WHAT?!”

 

 

 

“See you tomorrow!” Kikwang waved to the other staff just before he stepped out the door.

 

He checked the time. They had managed to finish cleaning up quickly today after Gina had suddenly breezed into the kitchen and announced a surprise inspection causing everyone to start scrambling around.

 

Kikwang decided to take a walk to the convenience store. Since he had the free time, he might as well take the chance to stock up on the stuff he needed at home.

 

He sighed.

 

Dongwoon didn’t show up at all today.

 

Not like he could make the boy come everyday and as and when he wanted him to.

 

Kikwang wasn’t even sure why he felt slightly disappointed. But he just, expected him to be there. Had he gotten so used to the other’s presence that it felt weird without him being there?

 

He pushed the thought to the back of his mind as he entered the store to make his purchases.

 

Ten minutes later, he was back out on the streets again with his phone in hand.

 

To: Dongwoon

Were you busy today? ^^

 

Kikwang sent it.

 

He stared at the blank screen waiting for a reply as had been doing for most of the day.

 

This time he wasn’t disappointed.

 

From: Dongwoon

Yeah. Kinda?

Sorry I didn’t come over today. How was work?

 

Kikwang let out his breath slowly. At least Dongwoon was alright. Well of course the boy was just busy.

 

To: Dongwoon

Where are you at now? Out with Kibum and the rest?

 

From: Dongwoon

No actually…

Hyung, I’m in front of you.

 

Kikwang blinked and looked up.

 

True enough, a familiar figure was seated on the bench a couple metres in front of him. The blond took off his headphones as Kikwang approached.

 

“Hyung, you really should watch where you are going,” Dongwoon prodded lightly once he came nearer. “You almost walked into a pole just now though how you avoided it without looking up is really beyond me.”

 

Kikwang was still in slight shock at finding the person whom he was thinking about the entire day appear right in front of him.

 

“Oh. I did?”

 

And Dongwoon laughed, covering his mouth with the back of his hand, leaving Kikwang staring at him with a baffled expression.

 

“Please sit down before you injure yourself.” He felt the younger boy’s hand curl around his wrist and tug him to the empty space on the bench next to him.

 

"Was it busy today?"

 

Kikwang shrugged. "Normal? Though noona was being her noona self again. How about you? Got any studying done?"

 

Dongwoon who had been staring at him throughout suddenly looked away.

 

"Not really."

 

What was up with people today? First Hyunseung and now Dongwoon.

 

Kikwang placed a concerned hand on his arm, sensing him tense up for a split second. "Is something the matter?"

 

The blond was silent, appearing to be deep in thought. That was no problem for Kikwang. He was willing to wait as long as it took.

 

Finally, Dongwoon spoke up. And when he did, his voice was quieter.

 

"Just wondering if it's all worth it...If I should carry on."

 

Ah. So something was bothering him.

 

Kikwang gripped his arm harder and Dongwoon whipped his head back in surprise at the sudden reaction.

 

"Don't give up."

 

Dongwoon's eyes widened further.

 

"Don't give up," Kikwang repeated himself. "If it's something you really want. Chase until you get it."

 

From the look on his face, Kikwang guessed that he had hit the nail on the head.

 

"I mean well," he scratched his head. "You could say I wanted to set up the café and I just went ahead and did it. Even though a lot of people said it was a crazy idea considering my situation back then.”

 

"Speaking of which, you should come by and play more often," Kikwang continued.

 

Dongwoon nodded. "I would like to. Perhaps after the exams or something."

 

The blond paused.

 

"It must be nice to have something you want to do in life," Dongwoon mused, tilting his head to the side to look at him. "I'm not sure what I want to do really. And it's not as if my parents actually cared as long as I get into a good university."

 

Kikwang smiled as their eyes met.

 

"Come on, there must be something you love."

 

Dongwoon blinked, glancing away hurriedly.

 

And Kikwang continued on, oblivious. "I mean, you're good at the piano. And you love music so why not study that instead?"

 

"Oh. Yeah. I suppose?" Dongwoon nodded his head slowly as he thought about it.

 

Kikwang patted him on the back. "If you want, I could ask Hyunseung's bunch about it, since they're studying in an arts university now."

 

"That would be great."

 

"Good," Kikwang stood up, proud that he was of some help. "Now we need to get you home so you can study."

 

Dongwoon stood up, catching a hold of Kikwang's wrist and pulled him into a light embrace before letting him go.

 

"Thanks for the help, hyung. I think... I know what to do now."

 

Now if Kikwang's heart sped up or thudded any more louder or faster, he was sure it was gonna thud a hole through his chest and fall out.

 

He let out a breath he didn't know he had been holding as Dongwoon walked in front.

 

---

 

And if Kikwang had paid attention, he would've seen the triumphant smile on Dongwoon's face.