Chapter 2

Light of Hope

CHAPTER II

Taeyeon’s Point of View

 

Taeyeon - “W-what?”

Kai - “As I said, your honor… I have NOTHING to say.”

Taeyeon - “K-kai…!”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Not you, I want to hear it from Mrs. Hwang. Say it again Mrs. Hwang. I couldn’t hear you.” The lawyer asks so that she repeats it. And according to his wish,

Tiffany - “Please take her away. She… killed Nic Hun.” Tiffany really does repeat again.
Taeyeon - “Y-you… T-tiff…”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “If I may say so, we too should haste no more from giving the GUILTY, the sentence she deserves.”

Taeyeon - “T-tiffany… w-what are you… SAYING?!”

 

My voice rises at the last part, in disbelief of what she just said.

Taeyeon - “T-this is a mistake! S-she must be joking, right? Tiffany?”

The judge looks at her.

Tiffany - ‘“No I am not joking.” She says calmly, with a clenched jaw.

Taeyeon - “Have you gone INSANE?! I-I didn’t kill him, and you know it!”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Shut up, Mrs. Taeyeon. The truth had to come out and YOU should have known it!”

Taeyeon - “It is NOT the truth! S-she knows it! She herself came yesterday and said that! Kai…!”

Judge - “Kai? Who is that?”
Taeyeon - “I… mean Jongin! Tell them!”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Your lawyer…? He told that he has nothing to say just now.”

Taeyeon - “That’s a lie!”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Everyone is lying and only you are telling the truth?! You expect me to believe that??”
Taeyeon - “But THAT IS THE TRUTH! WHY DON’T YOU LISTEN TO ME?!” I yell.

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Because you have no proof!” He yells back at me.

Tears come to my eyes.

Taeyeon - “I didn’t do anything! I am just a teacher! What… what… will I achieve killing him?!”
Prosecutor Lawyer - “It seems Mrs. Hwang and your relationship was getting weaker day by day. And when she fell for Mr. Hun, you couldn’t bear with that and kill him!”
Taeyeon - “But our relationship was NOT… weak! It never was!”

Judge - “How will we know that? I do not live in your house!”

Taeyeon - “A-ask the… police chief! T-tiffany came there yesterday! A-ask what she and Kai said there! H-he will tell you!”

Judge - “Really?”
Taeyeon - “Yes! I-I don’t know what they are saying these here. M-must be a cruel joke… but if you ask him, you’ll know what she said to him about us. Our relationship was NOT getting weak!”


Tiffany - “It WAS.” Tiffany cuts me off.

 

Taeyeon - “W-what…?”

Tiffany - “There was never a relationship Taeyeon. I am fed up with you.”
Taeyeon - “T-tiffany. H-how could you… joke at a time l-like this?!”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “I do not think I need to ask the police chief anymore, Mrs. Taeyeon.”

Judge - “Mr. Jin. Stop and let her talk.”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Sorry my lord.”

Taeyeon - “Y-you… Y-you have to! She is ly… She is NOT telling the truth! Kai too! For… for… some… OH!”

Judge - “What?”

Taeyeon - “I know what is going on here!”

Judge - “What do you mean?”

Taeyeon - “I get it now!”

Judge - “Mrs. Taeyeon. If you know something, then I demand you tell it in front of the court.”

Taeyeon - “I-It’s Nic Hun’s family! T-they were the one who accused me in the first place. They MUST be terrorizing Tiffany… FORCING her to say these!”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Oh, what a story!” He says sarcastically.

Taeyeon - “No! I know that is the case! That explains their sudden change!”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Oh, do you think so?”
Taeyeon - “YES I DO! And Kai too, is forced not to tell the truth because of Tiffany! If you investigate, you will surely find that their family must be-”

Tiffany - “Your honor!”

Taeyeon - “T-tiffa…”
Tiffany - “There is nothing like that. Still, if you want you can investigate. The truth is what I told, and I have no intention of repeating it a million times.” She says plainly.

My vision blurs, still I try to stay logical.

Taeyeon - “T-that’s because she is forced not to-”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Load of bull crap, Mrs. Taeyeon. No matter how much you try to deny the truth, you cannot!”

Taeyeon - “I am NOT-!”

 

Judge - “Mrs. Taeyeon!”

 

I become quiet as the judge calls my name.

Judge - “Whatever the reason may be, I will let it to be investigated further by the police force. But as of now, seeing the proof in front of me… you are GUILTY.”

Taeyeon - “B-but I… couldn’t even support my…myself! I-I…”

Judge - “These two people… Mrs. Hwang and Mr. Jongin. They are here to do just that, aren’t they?”

Taeyeon - “T-they…. N-no. I want to… I want some time.”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Your lawyer isn’t saying anything like that.” The lawyer speaks up.

Taeyeon - “N-no… I-I don’t have any lawyer. I-I am on my own!”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “My lord, she is wasting both the court’s and your time. I request to sentence him as soon as possible.”

Judge - “Mr. Jin! That is not for you to decide.”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Yes, my lord…”

Taeyeon - “Y-your honor. I-I need some time. I-I have been framed! A-and they too… are… surely under pressure…!”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Sorry. Your hearing is today. You will be taken in custody now. If you can ‘investigate’ from inside the cell, then you are welcome to do so.”

Taeyeon - “I-I didn’t know that it would happen like this!”

Judge - “I can only hear your story all day. But unless you have some proof, I can do nothing.”
Taeyeon - “P-please!”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Sorry Mrs. Taeyeon. Too late. Truth has been spoken. Now it’s time for you to pay for your crimes.” The lawyer comes to me and says in a whispering tone.

Judge - “Mr. Jin. For the final time. It’s not your place to talk.”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Apologies, your honor.”

Judge - “Anything else you want to add in your defense?”

Taeyeon - “I-I will… just give me some tim-”

Judge - “So, at the moment, you have nothing.”

Taeyeon - “P-please!!”

Judge - “Depending on the severity of crime AND the past contribution to the society… Mrs. Kim Taeyeon, I hereby sentence you to serve three years of time in the Correction facility of YeoSu.”

Taeyeon - “C-correction? ...T-three years?” I ask in disbelief.

Judge - “Yes. And that’s due to your clean records before. Or else it would have been more.”

I will be a prisoner?

For THREE years?

I-it is a nightmare…

Someone wake me up.

I look at Tiffany and Kai.

They are looking away from me. Tiffany is doing something with her phone while Kai is packing his bags.

Are they really under pressure from Hun’s family or is it that they….

 

…just don’t care.

 

Judge - “Court dismissed.”

The voice of the judge takes me back to my senses.

I see the officers coming towards me.

Taeyeon - “Youre Honor! Please! I-I am a teacher! I-I didn’t…! T-this is all a lie! Someone’s framing me!”

The officers grabs both my hands.

Officer #1 - “Come’on Mrs...”

Taeyeon - “Please! Ask the Chief! This is all a lie!” I scream frantically. “Tiffany! Kai!”

But they don’t say a thing. “Tiffany!!! Please!! Y-you cannot do this!”
Officer #1 - “Come’on.” They pull me away while I frantically struggle.

Taeyeon - “T-they are taking me to a prison! Please! Y-you cannot leave me alone like this!”

Kai - “Come’on Tiffany.” Kai pulls her hand and takes her out of the court room.

Taeyeon - “Tiffany!”

Officer #2 - “Useless to struggle, Mrs. Taeyeon! We will use force if you keep doing this!”

They warn, but I keep on doing this. It was outburst. No logic and senses were working then.

I was being taken to a prison. It was scary enough.

Taeyeon - “Ti-ffa-ny!!”

I scream, but nothing happens. She doesn’t turn back. Not even once.

Taeyeon - “Tiffany!!!!!!!”

 

They go out of my sight.

The officers take me to a hallway.

Taeyeon - “P-please!” I say with tears in my eyes. “Y-you know… I-I cannot do this.”

Officer #1 - “And how will we know that?”
Taeyeon - “L-look at me! I-I can’t kill someone even if I want to! I-I am a teacher… for god’s sake!” I start to sob.

Officer #2 - “No use crying. The hearing is done. You have to serve time.”

Taeyeon - “P-please. I am begging you! I swear to GOD I didn’t do it! Y-you can’t… I-I cannot stay in a prison!”

Officer #1 - “Most of the criminals say the same.”

Taeyeon - “I-I am not a criminal…” My throat gets heavy.

Officer #2 - “Nothing to do Mrs…”

 

They take me outside to the back gate.

A black bus was standing there. And a few other girls were standing there, in a queue.

What are they waiting for?

What else? They are waiting to be taken to the prison. Just like me.

I didn’t know that honesty will conspire with my destiny like this.

 

Officer #3 - “Get up, all of you convicts.”

I am made to stand there.

That’s what I am now. Convict.

All of the girls… yes, there are only girls there. Probably they kept the guys separately. But we are not better off than them.

We get on the bus one by one.

I am the only one who is crying.

The other few are so… calm. As if they are going to school.

They are full of tattoos… and piercings and stuff.

The hardened convicts… yes these are them.

But I am not them.

I do not belong there.

But cruel fate has put me with the ones I teach my students to not be.

 

Now I have to get up, eh?

I so want to wail loudly now. But who will hear and be sorry for me? No one.

I want to run away, so badly. But if I do, they will catch me, may even shoot me.

And I CAN’T let that happen.

Because I want to know WHY Kai and… Tiffany did that.

I want to know the reason why they betrayed me.

I want to know the reason why this happened with me.

And I won’t rest until I do.

That is… IF I survive… this hell I am going.

I won’t survive a year. More so three.

I have to get out early. I have to call my parents… Except Tiffany, only they can help me now.

If they can lessen my sentence somehow… pay bail or SOMETHING… then… then…

 

Taeyeon - “Ouch!”

One of the girls behind me knocks me down on the ground while I was getting on the bus.

I get up on my knees, as my hands are handcuffed.

I look at my right knee. As I thought, the sharp pain… it’s a cut.

Officer #3 - “Get up convict!” A lady officer orders.

Taeyeon - “S-she…”

Officer #3 - “Pushed you? I know. What do you expect?! We will kiss you?!”

Again, once again… tear comes to my eyes.

What did I do to deserve this?

Officer #3 - “Now get up on the bus!”

 

I get up. More like pushed up. The officer gets up after me.

Officer #3 - “What’s up with you? Can’t wait to reach there?”

Taeyeon - “I…”

Officer #3 - “Take a god damn seat, then.”

She pushes me down on a seat. Beside another convict.

She was chewing a gum.

Officer #3 - “Okay. All on.” The officer signals the driver, who starts the engine right away.

 

I couldn’t even….

Yesterday, I was in the school. Teaching my students all the good things I can teach.

And look where I am now.

I am in a prison bus, going towards a hell I never imagined I will be even in my worst nightmare.

But here it is… and it’s real.

 

Convict #1 - “Hey, sweetie. Looks like you are a good girl.” The girl beside me nudges me.

Taeyeon - “I… yes.” I manage to say with a broken voice. The tears again threaten to fall.

Convict #1 - “Ooo… so bad for you.”
Taeyeon - “I…I…”
Convict #1 - “Well, I have one thing I can say to you, which may… what does they say…? CONSOLE you.”

Taeyeon - “W-what…?”

She moves closer to me.

 

Convict #1 - “ you.”

And right away she bursts into laughter.

Officer #3 - “Hey ginnie! Stop laughing! We are not going to your DEAD husband’s house.” The officer shouts.

Convict #1 - “You cannot anyway, as you said… he’s dead! I killed him. HAHAHAHAH!!!”

She nudges me. “Get the joke, girl? Hahahahaha!!”

 

So, this is what I fall in the same category with?

Fate sure is cruel.

 

We slowly leave the familiarities of the city that I have grown so fond of. Instead we start to enter the unfamiliar grasslands… which will eventually take me to a hell all like us dread of.

Yeosu.

It is said to be a place full of natural beauty.

I never visited. I wanted to do that someday.

But I didn’t thought I will get the opportunity… this way.

 

Finally we reach the place.

A huge compound. More like a castle.

This is a girl only prison it seems. Obvious. No one wants to risk 50 a day keeping them with boys.

There are tall watch towers…

Ah, man.

And AGAIN, I felt like crying… seeing the place.

I have no intention of analyzing the structure of the facility or seeing who are staying here.

I have only one thing in mind right now.

How… unfortunate my fortune is.

 

SCREETCHHH!!

The van stops abruptly.

I see the big gate opening in front of us while two armed guards says something to the driver.

I honestly cannot and don’t want to hear or even feel anything right now.

I just want to wake up… from this nightmare.

 

Officer #3 - “Get down and get in a line, Convicts.” The officer orders.

Convict #2 - “Oh boy, get into drills girls… we are going to be scolded otherwise.” One of them comments.

The rest of the girls laughs like they don’t care.

These are the kind of people I will be staying with now.

Wow.

 

Officer #3 - “I said get in the line!”

I look to my right. I am the one out of the line, the officer is screaming at ME.

I keep looking at her as if I am in a trance.

Convict #3 - “Ooooh. The new fish is feisty.” I hear someone comment

“Ooohhh.” And voices follow.

Convict #4 - “Hey, girl!” Someone pushes me harshly, which makes me spin around and face the source of that push.

Convict #4 - “Do you know where you are?”

Taeyeon - “I…” It came as a whisper.

 

THUD!

Taeyeon - “O-ouch….!!!”

A knock makes me fall down.

It was a lady officer. But this one is different. She has a baton in her hand.

I start to cough due to the blow. Never have I been knocked down that hard. It is hard to even breath properly for a few moments after that knock in my abdomen.

Taeyeon - “*Cough… *cough…. W-what…”

 

Officer #4 - “You are in MY world now. If you do not obey me, I will put you down.”

I look at her in terror.

I am in hell. And she is the devil.

 

Officer #3 - “Okay, Officer Im. You will handle it from here I hope.”

Officer #4/ Officer Im - “Assured.”

Officer #3 - “Okkay.” The other officers smirks. “Give them a good welcome.”
Officer Im - “And… a really good experience.”

Officer #3 - “Right, right. Okay, I’ll leave now.”

Officer Im - “Yes, sure. See you later.”

She gets back in the van. Which leaves within moments.

And as soon as it gets outside the gate, it closes making a loud metallic sound.

The gates of Hell is now closed. And I am trapped.

 

Officer Im - “Get up you .”

I look back at that… ‘Im’. She is referring to me.

Officer Im - “It’s not your kitty party. Get up and get into line.” She says before raising her voice. “All of you convicts.” Even though there weren’t many.

Officer Im - “Get into queue and move forward step by step as the officers tell you. If you try to do something funny or miss a step, I will drag you down and make you regret it.”

 

A drop of sweat goes down my neck.

It is just the beginning, and every cell of my body is crying to get out.

I look around. Even though there aren’t many convicts with me, there are a lot… and I mean a LOT of them in the prison.

And they are gathered all around me….

Gazing… like vulture… or wolves.

They don’t feel like girls. As if they are waiting to ravage me.

Weird, but that’s exactly what it feels like.

I know what. They are not girls… they are prisoners. Hardened, cold blooded… darkness of the society.

NO. Not even that.

They are the devil’s minion.

Waiting to burn me.

I know it. I just know it.

 

I walk along like a mindless zombie.

Officer Im - “Here, you will get your uniform. And you will give away whatever you currently possess. You will get it back… someday. Also…”

Someone smacks me in the . I yelp in reaction. It’s another prisoner behind me.

I look at her in fear.

Convict #5 - “The boss is lookin’ at ya.”

I turn back. The ‘boss’ or ‘Im’ IS looking. She indeed is.

Officer Im - “As I was saying… you will also get your number here. Here, from now on… it will be your identity. No matter who you es were outside, here, you will be prisoner Number XXXX. Is that clear?!”

Silence ensues. A few smirks as well.

Officer Im - “I said, is that clear you ??”

Convict #6 - “Yes, headmaster.” One voice is heard. With a few giggles.

She pauses for a second.

Officer Im - “Who is the smartass?”

Convict #6 - “No body.” The same voice is heard. Another few giggles.
Officer Im - “Oh, okay. I see.” She smiles.

 

She snaps her fingers. Officer Im - “Vic.”

An officer comes forward. Officer Vic - “Yes Boss?”
Officer Im - “Take the ‘nobody’ to my room.”
Officer Vic - “Yes boss.”

 

The lady officer called ‘vic’ goes past me and…

Convict #6 - “Unfff!!!!” A scream is heard.

I look back.

She has knocked someone down with the baton in her hand. Judging from the scream, I think it really is that ‘smartass’ ‘nobody’. But what now?

 

Officer Im - “Good job Vic. But that’s not all. I will ‘coach’ her personally now. Tomorrow, you will see what happens when someone tries to be a smartass here. But for now, the rest of you follow the fellow officers here, and take your respective rooms. Make it home, feel comfortable, meet your roomies. Because… you are…”

 

Officer Im - “Our beloved guests, aren’t you?” She smirks.

 

By that smile only, she reminds me where I am, once again.

Fires of hell.

I can feel it’s waiting to burn me.

 


ENJOY GUYS,

AND THANKS TO ALL THOSE WHO READS THIS,

ALSO READ 'MY J' WHEN YOU GET SPARE TIME