Chapter 1

Light of Hope

CHAPTER I

Taeyeon’s Point of View

 

“Ms. Taeyeon, you have to come with us.”

“B-but… I didn’t… I didn’t… d-do anything.”

“Ms. Taeyeon, I don’t want to use force on you. Come with us peacefully.”

The police officer says, in a warning tone.

Taeyeon - “I-I… s-someone… accused me. I-I am just a… teacher! How can I… kill someone?!”

Officer #1 - “All the proof says you did.”

Taeyeon - “Please listen to me… I…”

Officer #1 - “Talk after we go to the police station. Now you HAVE to come with us.”

Taeyeon - “But… I-I…”

 

All the students look at me as if I am really guilty and they haven’t imagined I will turn out to be so.

Taeyeon - “…y-you can’t take me like this… i-in front of all these people.”

All the society had known… till now that I am a good person, I earn honestly, live a happy life with my family. Heck, I was going to propose to the love of my life pretty soon. I even talked to her parents the last week. What will they think? What will she think of me when this goes out??

And all for the wrong reason.

Officer #2 - “Nothing we can do Ms. Taeyeon, we have warrant.”

Taeyeon - “W-who…?”

Officer #2 - “Mr. Hun’s family.”

Taeyeon - “B-but I didn’t!”

Officer #1 - “Talk how much you want after we go to the police station.”

 

With that the officer puts me in the car while the whole school looks on. There were all kinds of looks…

…How can she do that?...

…I didn’t think she did it…

…They all are same, all have their dirty secrets…

…I always knew she had to have something like that when I spotted her with …that Hwang…

All I could do was to hold back my tears and watch through the car glass.

Silence was not that strong of an answer.

 

They take me to the police station.

My friend lawyer, whom I affectionately call Kai, was there. I called him there cause he is the person at the moment who can save me from this… unexpected trouble.

Taeyeon - “K-kai… they are…”

Kai - “I know it Taeyeon… but I will get you out surely.”

I am taken to the chief’s room.

Police Chief - “Ms. Taeyeon, have a seat. I am sure you know why you are here.”

Taeyeon - “C-chief… sir, I didn’t do that! I COULDN’T possibly do that!”

Police Chief - “And why not?”

Taeyeon - “Because! I-I am not a murderer! I am teacher! I cannot even think of murdering somebody!”

Police Chief - “But the proof say you can. The murder weapon… has your fingerprints all over it.”

Taeyeon - “T-that cannot be! Someone must have planted it!”

Police Chief - “I am not satisfied.”

 

Kai - “Sir!”

Police Chief - “And you are?”

Kai - “I am her lawyer.”

Police Chief - “Oh, you have anything to say in her support?”

Kai - “Yes sir, though I haven’t gone through the proof and crime yet, I can vouch for her as I am her friend from the high school. She CANNOT do this.”

Police Chief - “Sorry Mr…”

Kai - “Kim Jongin, sir.”

Police Chief - “Yes… Mr. Jongin. Say something that is substantial. You knew her till now does NOT mean situations and circumstances cannot force her to do this.”

Taeyeon - “But sir! What will I achieve by doing this?!”

Police Chief - “As the family informed… it’s about your wife, Ms. Tiffany Hwang?”
Taeyeon - “Tif… my wife is Mrs. Tiffany KIM. But what that have to-?”

Police Chief - “That IS the motive. Mr. Nichun was winning her over. And you couldn’t bear losing her to him. So you removed him from the way.”

Taeyeon - “What!? He was NOT winning her over!”

Police Chief - “He was. The family and your neighbors spotted them hanging around a little TOO much lately. It was obviously not to your liking.”

Taeyeon - “Yes, they were because they are colleagues, and they attend meetings together!”

Police Chief - “Really? I heard that he was going to even propose Tiffany today, as his sister said. But you too knew it, and had to stop it.”

Taeyeon - “NO! That isn’t the truth. He never liked Tiffany in THAT way. Neither did Tiffany like him in that way! And even if she did, I couldn’t have murdered him. I would’ve talked with her about it!”

Police Chief - “Why not? Murderers always take the first step just like this. You two are married. You obviously couldn’t keep your head when you found them cheating on you.”

Taeyeon - “They were NOT cheating one me! Why are you making things up?!”

Police Chief - “That’s what their family said. Ms. Tiffany wasn’t happy with you which is why she was going out with Tiffany. Naturally you couldn’t tolerate that and retaliated.”

Taeyeon - “What?! I…”

Police Chief - “And besides, girl-girl relationships… often leads to dissatisfaction… I still wonder why they pass that damn bill five years ago, if you don’t mind me saying.”

Taeyeon - “Yes sir, I do mind! It’s not always about satisfaction! I love her! And she is satisfied too for the information! Girl-girl or petty things like that doesn’t matter because we love each other!”

Kai - “Sorry to interrupt sir, but just look at her! Does she look like a murderer to you?”

 

Police Chief - “Talk in the court Mr. Jongin. But let me tell you, a murderer doesn’t always look like one. He or she just has to ACT like one.”

 

Kai - “Listen to me, sir! I knew Tiffany for more than a year. We are married for ten months now! And she met Nichun only a month ago. Nichun is just her colleague and there never was any conflict between us.”

Police Chief - “Well, maybe your relationship had started to weaken since long. Is there any way to prove what you are saying?”

 

“Yes there is!”

I turn around to find the owner of the voice.

 

Taeyeon - “Tiffany!”

She enters the office and slams her hands on the table.

Tiffany - “Good thing I heard and could come as soon as possible. How can you bring an innocent person to the police station like this?!”

Police Chief - “It doesn’t seem that innocent at the moment, Ms…?”

Tiffany - “MRS. Kim, Tiffany Kim.”

Police Chief - “So… you are reason?”

Tiffany - “No! That is what Hun’s family is saying. I… am sad for his demise… but that doesn’t mean they can falsely accuse just anyone!”

Police Chief - “So what Ms. Taeyeon is saying, is the truth?”

Tiffany - “Exactly. We are married and living happily together! I do NOT love Nichun and he was NOT going to propose to me! Nichun too, never tried to approach me in that way. He was just a colleague and I was helping him to get things arranged in the office. I don’t know why his family is saying all these things, but it is clearly NOT the truth. There has to be some other reason behind this.”

Police Chief - “Hmm…”

Tiffany - “If I am… the ‘reason’, then is it not enough to prove her innocent when I, myself is saying it??”

Taeyeon - “Thank you Tiffany.”
Tiffany - “Hey! No need to thank me. You are innocent and I will help you wherever and however I can. I am your wife for god’s sake!”

 

Police Chief - “Okay… if you are saying the truth, you will be free in no time. But the hearing is tomorrow. I am sorry to say, but Ms. Taeyeon has to stay here for the night.”

Tiffany - “What?? No way.”

Police Chief - “The rule is a rule.”

Tiffany - “Then I will stay with her.”

Police Chief - “You cannot. Because she has to stay in a cell until the hearing.”


Taeyeon - “What?!”

A cell! All these time of honest work and living… all gone in an instant. I can only imagine how I will look to my friends now, irrespective of my innocence.
Tiffany - “You cannot possibly-!”

Police Chief - “I cannot change the rule Mrs. Kim.”

Tiffany - “You sure as-“

Kai - “Tiffany!”

Tiffany - “What?!”

Kai - “It has to be like that. Not even I can bail her before the charge is taken off her… I mean she is proved innocent.”

Tiffany - “She IS goddamn innocent!”

Kai - “That I know. But it has to be proved in front of the jury.”

Tiffany - “So until then she has to rot here?!”

Kai - “yes… unfortunately so.”

Tiffany - “I cannot-!”

 

Taeyeon - “Fany-ah!”

Tiffany - “Tae…?”

Taeyeon - “It’s just for a day. Heck, a few hours.”

Tiffany - “It’s not about ‘a day’ or ‘few hours’! Why would an honest person, an innocent person like you would stay in a cell?! How does it look?!”

Taeyeon - “I know… but nothing you can do now.”

Tiffany - “I will complain!”

Taeyeon - “Even that will take at least a day.”

Tiffany - “I… I…”

Taeyeon - “I will be… at least I’ll try to be… fine.”

Even for a day… staying in a prison cell… is something I never hoped to do.

 

Tiffany - “And besides, is there ladies only cells here??”

Police Chief - “No, nothing like that… because we don’t keep prisoners here for more than a week. But I will keep her in an empty cell for the night. No one will bother her until the hearing tomorrow.”

Tiffany - “I don’t believe you cops!”

Taeyeon - “Fany…”

Tiffany - “I…” she holds my hand. “Taeyeon, I’ll surely get you out tomorrow. Just hold on for the night.”

 

 

Kai - “She is right, Taeyeon. Just hold on for these few hours, and you’ll be out in no time.”

Taeyeon - “Yes.”

Tiffany - “Then… stay safe.”

Taeyeon - “I will.”

Tiffany - “If any of the prisoners… or… the police… misbehaves in ANY way with you, remember tomorrow… because afterwards, I will KILL them!”

Taeyeon - “I will be fine, Fany.”

I sure hope so.

Only few hours.

I have to spend a few hours…

Tiffany - “Anything at all-!”

Taeyeon - “I know. I will tell you.”

Tiffany - “Okay…” she takes a deep breath and hugs me. “Just a few hours.”

Taeyeon - “Yes.”

Tiffany - “Love you.”

Taeyeon - “Love you too.”

 

Officer #3 - “Come on Mrs. Taeyeon.” One of the police officers tell me.

Tiffany and Kai are forced to stay there. Tiffany waves me and utters that she will get me out tomorrow.

I nod, in hope before answering the officers.

Taeyeon - “Y-yes.” I gulp.

 

The police officers take me to the prison cell.

This is the first time I am seeing them.

Iron bars… separating us from the darkness of the society…

Now… I have to cross the line.

Even though I have always strived for the welfare of the society. But it rejected me instead.

I only hope it will be for only tonight.

 

I enter the cell. It was empty.

Thank god.

I have heard stories about prison cell.

Most of them are not good.

And this is just of the police station. Usually they don’t keep major crime prisoners here. They soon transfer them to penitentiaries around the country.

Yet I am still scared out of my mind.

Only a few hours, Taeyeon.

Then I too, will be transferred.

To my sweet home.

 

Not only that, I will have to investigate why Hun’s family suddenly accused me like that.

I met them before. Never did they seem like they could do this. Hun too, never seemed a bad guy.

Tiffany and Hun never had anything between them. So why this story out of nowhere?!

And who killed Hun?!

Maybe that is the guy behind all this.

Maybe someone from Hun’s family!? Yes!

Maybe he is behind… but what will he achieve by framing me?? I don’t know…

I have to know as soon as I get out.

Or else who knows what they will do next.

But for now, first thing first, I have to spend the hours. Try not to realize that I am in a prison cell. Just try to pass the time until tomorrow-

The police officers closes the door and goes away. The sound of steel echoes throughout the hall stating the fact that I am truly inside a prison cell now.

 

Though this police station cells are not like the ones they show in TV.

It’s really quiet in here. But thanks to the city’s hustle and bustle, you feel that you are still connected to the outside world somehow.

There are two bunk-beds. All neatly folded.

I sit on one and lean on the wall. A lot is going through my mind now. But if I continue to do that, it will just keep me awake.

So let’s just try to… relax… keep my mind calm… get rid of the thoughts… And try to get some sleep. That’s the best way to pass time.

They will wake me up tomorrow. The cell is empty too, so there shouldn’t be any unexpected troubles…

 

I am sure Tiffany and Kai… will get me out… tomorr…ow…

 

Taeyeon - “Ump!” A little shriek comes out as I wake up.

Taeyeon - “Who… where!” I panic a little as there is darkness all around me.

Then I remember where I am. The lights are out. Is it night?

I look at the window.

Yes it is. So I have slept the day.

I don’t like darkness, more so, here.

What time is it??

I look at my watch. 12:30 am. It’s tomorrow. Only a few hours.

I look in front of me. A plate is kept in front of me, with bread and… some vegetables. Probably the police officers have kept it for me to eat. But I don’t feel like eating in this situation. I just want to pass the time somehow.

If I sleep again, it will pass quickly.

But it’s harder than it looks.

I try to close my eyes and sleep. But cannot seem to do so. This bed… this whole environment is not that suited for me to sleep.

Only a few hours…

Only a few hours…

 

 

Finally the time comes.

 

It’s almost 11. Time for my hearing.

The police officers open the cell gate.

Officer #3 - “Come on Mrs. Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon - “Yes!”

They put on a handcuff on me. It feels really… bad. I feel ashamed. But only an hour or two at most.

I couldn’t sleep yesterday night even after trying so hard. I only waited and waited for this time.

Now I cannot wait to get outta here.

 

The police officers take me to their car.

We drive to the court. We reach their within 15 minutes.

 

I enter the court. A lot of people are gathered there. The Jury has arrived as well.

I see Hun’s family on one side, with their lawyer… and Tiffany and Kai on another side.

I go and sit on the chair beside them, while my handcuff stays on.

 

Jury - “Now we will start the hearing of the case of murder of Mr. Nic hun. Those in defense and in support of the accused may start to present their cases.”

 

Taeyeon - “So everything is fine, right Kai?”

But he doesn’t answer… instead he looks at the paper in his hand, ignoring me.

Taeyeon - “Kai?”

He still doesn’t answer.

Taeyeon - “Tiffany?” I look the other way.

She too, doesn’t answer.

Taeyeon - “Tiffany? Why are you not answering me??”

She stands up.

Taeyeon - “Tiffany?...”

 

Tiffany - “I am sorry Taeyeon.”


Taeyeon - “…What?”

 

The prosecutor side lawyer gets up.

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Honorable Jury, I will present such a witness in front of you that the case will be decided within seconds. If you don’t believe me… then just watch.”

The gathered crowd starts talking amongst each other hearing his claim.

What is he saying?? What witness?!

Prosecutor Lawyer - “My witness is…” he points at-

 

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Mrs. Tiffany Kim.”

Who?...

I think I misheard…

 

But it is… her.

She steps up on the witness box.

The lawyer comes up to her.

 

Prosecutor Lawyer - “So Mrs. Tiffany, what is your take on this?”

Taeyeon - “Tiffany… what are you…? Kai? What is she…”
 

Tiffany - “My wife... Kim Taeyeon… she… MURDERED Nic Hun.”

 

Taeyeon - “Tiffany… What are you-?! Kai! What is she?!” I stand up in utter disbelief.

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Calm down Mrs. Taeyeon. Let the truth unfold.” The prosecutor side lawyer smirks.

Taeyeon - “That is NOT the truth! I don’t know what she is saying! She doesn’t know it either. Kai-!”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “So does the defense have anything to say in for of his client?”

Taeyeon - “Yes. She is in shock I think-!”

Prosecutor Lawyer - “Not her, Mrs. Taeyeon. I think it’s YOU who is in shock because you thought she won’t testify against you. And besides, it is not your turn to speak now. Mr. Jongin?”

 

Kai stands up.

Taeyeon - “Tell him Kai. I-”

 

Kai - “I have nothing to tell, your honor.”