Unbroken (jongyu)

Once Upon A Time
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

 

Prompt: Beauty and the Beast, JongYu

 

 

 

He walked deeper and deeper, holding onto the trunks to maintain his footing, panting as he pushed his haggard and muddy body step by step, closer to the hope he had glimpsed. The more he neared, the brighter the lights got, and he collapsed at the doorstep, trying to contain enough energy to be able to speak.

 

A cloaked figure helped him in, gave him some water and a warm spot near the fire, before taking the armchair, their sleek fingers tapping the armrest.

 

“You have come looking for a blessing, boy.” Her calm voice came, making the boy halt his chugging and look to her with grave interest.

 

“I have,” He answered.

 

She sighed, dropping the hood of her cloak to reveal a beauteous countenance marred by age, a smile as warm as the fire that illuminated the room, but a smile sad as well, “Magic is just like our world, my child. Ruthlessly fair. There is misfortune latched to every fortune. Every wish has a consequence. Every blessing brings forth a curse.”

 

“I fear not this world, I fear no curse.” The boy answered softly, placing the goblet down, “If a curse is the price, I will let myself be cursed for my entire life.”

 

The woman stared at the young boy a while, “...I shall grant you what you came here for.”

 

The boy looked to her with wide eyes, “I had heard you were impossible to convince.”

 

“Yet, you came to me.”

 

The boy breathed harshly, looking down to his clenched fists, “What will the curse be?”

 

“I have no knowledge of it, nor any control over it.” She replied, “The only I can say is, the greater is what you desire, harsher your curse will be…” She paused, “Do you still wish for it, child?”

 

“...yes.”

 

 

 

The clocks of the palace chimed at an aberrant time of the evening, a time and chime now everyone was accustomed to. It marked the end of the day, the time for every worker to retire from the palace. The young King watched the hustle and bustle leave his domain and retire to their own, leaving the palace in groups. He watched the soldiers close the gates and leave, to be at guard further away, for it had been his wish to not have any man within his senses when the skies would darken.

 

His odd ways were talked of, yet none ever questioned him.

 

He had sought solitude ever since he had returned from the woods he had once gotten lost in, running away from the palace into the woods before dusk, returning haggardly at dawn.

 

When his father had died and he had taken the throne, he nullified every relation with other kingdoms, sent his army to protect and serve his people, had changed laws to distribute his burden amongst the able nobility.

 

He had rendered himself into a passive, eccentric monarch, uncaring of what his actions brought, shutting himself away from the aftermath of it all.

 

There came no night the palace was occupied and lit, there came no occasion he celebrated. He lived quietly, doing his share of work; and was kind to everyone he interacted with. But when the chimes of the clocks would fill the palace air, his mien would stiffen and his kindness would depart. The palace would then be emptied with his harsh usherance, with him watching gravely as everyone left.

 

After making sure the soldiers were away, he turned away from his window and took the path he had been taking reluctantly every evening.

 

Into the dark dungeons he walked, his steps duller. Halting before the biggest cell at the end of the hallway, he parted the doors to open, stepping inside and closing the doors. Numerous locks hung on the doors, locks of every size. Closing his eyes, he swirled his fingers, a golden beam arising with every swirl, heading towards the locks and locking them with a click. He walked in and turned to the wall, where enormously thick chains laid, chains made to contain a beast.

 

He swirled his fingers again, the chains flying towards him and locking themselves around every part of his body. He sat down and took a glance at a crevice in the thick walls, from where the rays dripped in, their faintness hinting that they were bidding goodbye.

 

He turned away from the sliver of light and glanced woefully at the chains that bound him.

 

He blinked finally, the woe leaving his eyes and he rested back with a huge sigh, waiting for the beast the chains were made for, to arrive.

 


 

“We made sure every notice went after suitable time intervals, Your Highness.” The Archduke informed, taking a seat in the King’s study one morning. “It took us years, but we have revoked every political relations we had.”

 

The King nodded, signing the sheets the Archduke had brought him.

 

“King Jinki.” The Archduke called, making the King look to him, a question in his dull eyes. The Archduke cleared his throat, “We have revoked every political relation. When His Highness ordered every link to be broken...did he imply the betrothal as well?”

 

Jinki’s palm clenched around his quill and he looked back to the documents, blinking as he framed a reply, “...yes.”

 

 

 

His hand traced canvas after canvas, his eyes roaming the portraits that covered every inch of his chamber walls, portraits he painted in memory, portraits he painted in anticipation, in desire, in hope. He halted in front of the very first one he had painted, the only one he had painted in company of his muse, in company of his betrothed, who was far more handsome than what he could paint him to be.

 

It had been years since he had seen him last, years that he had waited, painting portrait after portrait, expressing his imagination, his heart onto the canvas, wondering how much his uncountable portraits can match the man he will soon see.

 

He moved ahead, smiling at the most recent painting he had based on his imagination, his expectancy of how he had grown during their time apart. He had captured every little thing he had expected to change with time, every little expression he could imagine that handsome face to wear. It brought his tiresome wait console and spirit.

 

“Prince Jonghyun.” A man called out from the door, who Jonghyun looked to, reluctantly tearing his gaze away from the portraits, nodding to let him approach.

 

The man handed him a scroll and departed with a bow, closing the door quietly as Jonghyun begun to glance at it in perplexity.

 

Jonghyun moved towards his window and undid the scroll, his eyes scanning the contents with care, halting in disbelief only to read them again and again, his eyes gaining fury and dismay. He finally closed his eyes, trying to calm his breathing which had gone erratic, and opened them after a moment to read the scroll again, hoping it to not convey what he had just read.

 

But no word, no sentence had changed and Jonghyun seethed, his eyes b with tears as he threw the scroll in rage, turning to glare at the image of the man he had given his heart.

 

He had been so sure, so sure from the loving eyes he had once seen and had always painted, that he had captured everything that had changed with time.

 

But in truth, there was no love in those eyes, no warmth in that smile. Not anymore.

 

In his portraits he had captured nothing, nothing at all.

 

 

 

Jonghyun sat at the conference table, hearing his father, the King and his nobles discuss the matter of the scroll he had received with the representative that had arrived with it. His attention was not on the flow of words but on the flow his thoughts, which were ablaze, thinking why.

 

He stood up all of a sudden, making the hall quieten, his eyes settling on the representative, “What reason is behind this?”

 

“Pardon me, Prince?”

 

“Why has he revoked the betrothal?”

 

“He has spoken no reason to me. I have accompanied the scroll to not have his decision speak adversely. We hold no enmity for your Kingdom...hence, I pray you accept his decision.”

 

Jonghyun remained silent a while before storming out of the hall, leaving the matter to be resolved by the men that sat. He entered his chamber and stood amidst the portraits, trying not to look at them, trying not to be affected. But he gave in to the perturbation of his heart and approached the very first one he had painted.

 

It was the only portrait that vouched for his sentiments and mindset. It was the only portrait that had still kept a fraction of his belief, his desire, his hope intact despite the cruel words the scroll conveyed.

 

He trailed his fingers along the fair face, deciding to find a reason, deciding to give his shaken heart one last chance.

 

 

 

A lone horse rode into a the Lee Kingdom, bearing a crest of a kingdom another.

 

Jonghyun had been unshaken at the words he had been presented with, evidence his father had lain before him, all pointing to the credibility of the King’s actions. The King had not visited Jonghyun when he was bedridden with a raging sickness, the King had not accepted any invite to his Birthday celebrations, the King had not accepted their condolences when his father had passed away. He had been distant for a long while and the nullification could have been expected. But Jonghyun had decided to believe otherwise.

 

“I am here to see King Jinki.” He announced to the soldiers at the gate, who exchanged glances, not knowing what to do for no one but the Dukes visited the King, and no one, absolutely no one visited without prior notice.

 

“Let him in!” A soldier called from inside, hurrying into Jonghyun’s view, making him look from him to the palace, spotting a figure leave the balcony, a figure he could easily guess was his betrothed.

 

With a slight jerk to the reins, his horse ambled forward slowly, the sound of the lone hooves resonating in the quiescent gardens. He got down and handed the reins to a soldier before entering the palace, being guided by another soldier to where the King was presently at- the throne room.

 

Jonghyun excused the soldier and took a step inside, his view filling with the symbolic colors of the Kingdom, colors Jinki forever dressed in, colors Jonghyun had been painting for the past five years. Clad in those very colors sat a handsome man on the throne, composed and in wait; and Jonghyun’s breath hitched, for he had grown well, far better than he had attempted to paint in his portraits.

 

He took a few more steps, modest and cautious, his heart fluttering in excitement. But it stung when he grew close enough to sight his semblance properly.

 

Despite his grand attire, his face wasn’t bright, his eyes weren’t astral nor was their a smile- nor of love, nor of welcome.

 

“What business may you have with me, Prince Jonghyun?” Jinki spoke in a dreary voice, a voice that stung Jonghyun more.

 

Jonghyun heaved harsh breaths, stepping forward and bowing in courtesy, rising to begin, “I have come here to ask for a reason.”

 

“A reason?”

 

“The reason behind the annulment of our betrothal.”

 

Jinki sighed, “The betrothal disagrees with me.”

 

“How?”

 

“I no longer wish to be betrothed.” Jinki replied, “Specifically to a Prince I have not met more than twice.” He got up, “I hope that is ample. I apologise to have missed adding this sentence to my notice; my negligence caused you to travel this Kingdom. Hence, you are welcome to rest. My soldiers will lead you out the Capitol before dusk.” He stepped off the platform and walked past Jonghyun, who stood frozen, devastated, for Jinki had made sure to shatter his heart thoroughly, leaving him no reason to piece it back together.

 

 

 

He was led to a chamber, he was offered refreshments, he was left to rest and a soldier came knocking a couple of hours later, speaking the order of his King. Jonghyun swallowed his argument, swallowed the flare of his wronged, broken heart, following the soldier to his horse. His satchels had been refilled, his horse groomed and a few soldiers stood in wait, ready to guide him out.

 

He walked to his horse, its mane and bending his head, glaring at his boots with tear-filled eyes, blinking hurriedly to let them not fall. He took a deep breath and spoke words of gratitude, telling the soldiers that he knew his way out quite well. He then hurriedly took off on his horse, not waiting for a reply, nor waiting to be seen off.

 

Out of the palace, he halted right before the town, taking a detour into the woods, not wanting to be unsightly with the emotions that were slowly breaking his composure. He ventured out deep enough before resting the reins and letting his tears fall.

 

The more he cried, the more he reminisced, the more he regretted, the more he ached.

 

It began to darken and he finally looked up, wiping his tears and slowly treading his way out of the woods.

 

Noticing the palace staff leave the palace in groups, Jonghyun halted and stayed by the edge of the woods, watching the soldiers seal the gates and leave as well. When the path was clear, Jonghyun got off his horse and tied it to a tree before walking towards the gates discreetly, halting right before them to glance at the towering palace that stood unlit and quiet against the dark orange sky.

 

He blinked, memories flashing before his eyes, memories of the last time they had met- the night the kingdoms had rejoiced in their betrothal. Jinki had coerced him to sneak out into the gardens, showing him the golden magic beams he could manipulate, illuminating the darkness they had sat within.



 

- “I hate darkness.” Jinki said, “It obscures everything, it is cold, it is fearful.” He let the wisps of gold leave his palms, his fingers delicately making the gold spiral around the water that fell in the fountain.

 

Jonghyun watched him speak, watched him adorn their ambience, his heart catching a modest pace at the view he made, standing handsome against the glittering water and air. He was ethereal. “Will you let me paint you?”

 

Jinki smiled, "With pleasure.”

 

Jinki tried to stay still, watching Jonghyun get busy in his canvas, smiling guiltily when he realized he may have moved too much. But Jonghyun was patient, glancing at Jinki furtively, trying to capture the beauty before him.

 

It was then when Jonghyun had begun to lose his heart to Jinki, slowly, in every glance...in every . -



 

Jonghyun shook his head, calming himself off his memory. He turned and found the workers to have long gone and then turned back to the palace, “Why would he…”

 

He stood thinking a while before impulsively deciding to climb over the gates. He felt no guilt when he landed on the other side, for he knew his love was strong and with all the time he had spent keeping it burning within him, it would shamelessly rebound, relentlessly grasp onto every sliver of hope.

 

In a matter of seconds he had gained immense courage, the courage to question Jinki harshly, the courage to listen to his words...and the hope of them being different devoid of the light and company of the day.

 

He walked ahead but found every door and window meticulously locked. He kicked one of the smaller doors open, breaking the lock on the fifth kick and got in, stumbling in the dark to find his way to Jinki. Fortunately he found the kitchen first and lit a lamp before proceeding to search the chambers. He found them either locked or vacant and gave up after an hour of searching. He took the narrow staircase down from the terrace and halted on reaching the lower landings, finding a faint noise fill his senses, a noise which when he recognised, filled him with fear.

 

Jinki.

 

It had definitely been Jinki’s scream and Jonghyun descended the stairs with haste, the cries of agony getting fiercer step by step, turning hoarser and louder second by second. He halted in front of the alley and took cautious steps, glancing to the cells on his either side, finding them vacant. He continued to move forward, flinching and speeding up at every scream he heard.

 

He finally reached the huge cell at the front and raised his lamp, finding numerous locks sealing the door. He raised the lamp further, trying to illuminate the dark room that lay beyond the bars.

 

The moment the light of the lamp fell into the cell, a swoosh and a growl filled the air, making Jonghyun’s eyes dilate in fear.

 

For illuminated in the light of the lamp, stared back at him a ferocious, large creature, struggling with chains that binded him, trying to near the bars of the cell.

 

Jonghyun stood frozen, paling with fright, his gaze involuntarily stuck at the monstrous countenance, the large fangs, the ruthless, dark eyes.

 

The beast grunted, slowly nearing the bars that were out of its reach, trying to break free from the chains. Jonghyun whimpered, finding his feet heavy, closing his eyes as he shivered, in wait for the beast to destroy the chains and bars and attack him.

 

Instead of a violent crash, a soft whine met his ears, making him fearfully open his eyes to find the beast still, looking at him with calm on his face.

 

Jonghyun breathed heavily, blinking and taking a hesitant step ahead, raising the lamp to clearly see the beast’s face.

 

The beast whined in annoyance at the light and retreated swiftly, out of Jonghyun’s sight, leaving J

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter