Cut & Dry

The SHINing Diamonds Salon

”Tae..I don’t….how do you…wahhh?” Jonghyun stammered as the group continued their wondrous stares. Taemin only blushed and shied away. He dared a glance at Minho, only to quickly turn once he saw the elders heated gaze.

“I used to go to school for dance.” He mumbled as he shut the stereo off. 

“Use to?” Key questioned. Taemin never turned back, he only hung his head low, tears threatening to spill once more. Suddenly he felt a warm hand resting upon his shoulder. He turned in surprise to see Onew smiling warmly down at him.

“I-“ He began only to stop when Key held up his hand up to hush him. 

“We get it. You don’t wanna talk about it. But Tae…we’re here for you. All of us.” He simply stated while motioning to the others who had gathered closer together. For the first time in a long time, Taemin cried, but not cold tears of self-hatred. No, this time his tears were warm as his walls started to come crashing down. Minho stepped forward and wiped away the linger tears. Taemin’s eyes shined as he looked at the elder, a small but warm and gentle smile finally spread across his lips. 

 

~

 

The following day Taemin, Minho, and the rest of the salon employees were back to work. The events that transpired over the weekend still resounded in everyone’s mind; more so in Minho’s than the others. His questions surrounding the younger had increased as well as his curiosity and affection. He was determined to know more about what exactly made Taemin feel insignificant. He was sure now that Taemin had once been a bright and bubbly student who was capable of loving not only others but himself as well. 

Minho sat close by as Key offered countless suggestions and opinions on how to style the boys’ hair. Each offer was of course immediately shot down by Taemin. His lack of patience exhausted all parties involved, until Jonghyun nonchalantly remarked that the less hair Taemin had, the less he had to style and maintain it. 

There was a brief pause before Taemin enthusiastically agreed. Minho chuckled to himself as Key emitted a sigh of relief. Minho watched from his manicurist station as Taemin laid himself back against the wash basin. Key was already lathering shampoo in his hands as the younger sighed in contentment. Minho smiled warmly before turning away from the pair to receive his next customer.

 

~

 

“Okay Tae. You ready?” Key asked as he buttoned a large black apron around Taemin’s neck.

“As ready as I’ll ever be.” The younger sighed out. Key could tell the younger was nervous; from the way he vigorously tapped his fingers on the arms of the swivel chair to his knee bouncing up and down. His gaze rarely met the older’s but when it did, he quickly turned away.

“You have to be still Tae. It’s not gonna hurt.”

“I know that! I’m just…”

“Hey. Remember what we said yesterday? We’re here for you. You trust me neh?” The younger paused before nodding slowly. “I promise I’ll be careful.” He offered Tae a reassuring smile before setting off to work. After much discussion, Key convinced Taemin to dye his fading and unnatural auburn hair back to its original dark chocolate color. They decided to cut Tae’s hair short, t it just above the tip of his ears but leaving long bangs in the front and sides. Tae could keep it flat like a bowl cut or if he was feeling adventures, he could spike it up or style it back. Key knew that the ladder options would take some time for the younger to get use to. So when he blew Tae’s hair out, he kept it straight and fluffy. 

Taemin kept his eyes closed the entire time, dreading to see what he would look like. He kept himself calm by focusing on how Key’s hands felt. The way they moved quickly through his hair and the soft caress of his finger tips. Suddenly his thoughts began to wander to the owner of the shop. He thought of Minho’s long slender fingers holding him tightly as they danced just the day before. He thought of his touch and how close they were; how easily they fit together as they danced. Tae had to wonder if Minho took lessons or if he was a natural. 

How would his fingers feel now? Would they be as gentle as Key’s? Would they be as soft but just as hurried? Would he take his time? Sweet and slow? He let out a breath he didn’t realize he was holding. A shiver ran down his spine as he felt the heat from the blow dryer brush the back of his neck, goose bumps rippled down his covered arms. 

“You okay?” He heard someone ask, but he couldn’t tell if he was Key or another employee. He hummed in contentment as he felt Key fluff his hair. All too soon Tae felt the apron being unsnapped and torn away from his body, even though he was fully clothed, Taemin felt exposed. Suddenly all of his insecurities came rushing back. He felt Key’s hands on his shoulders, encouraging him to open his eyes. 

When he did his lips parted and his breath became stuck in his throat. He couldn’t recognize himself in the mirror. His eyes widened as his hand unconsciously strayed to his hair. He ran his fingers through the freshly cut strands. He slowly rose from the chair and moved closer to the mirror as Key stood behind him with a large smile, the smock folded neatly in his arms. 

“That…That’s me?” 

“Do…do you like it?” Key whispered. 

“Its…different. But yeah. I think I like it. It doesn’t look weird…does it?” He asked as his eyes slid to look at his friend through the mirror. Key smiled gently and shook his head. 

“No Tae. It doesn’t.” Taemin returned his smile before going back to inspecting his new hairstyle. “Come on, you’ll have time to look at it all you want at home. Minho will want to see this!” Taemin was reluctantly pulled away from the mirror and shoved out into the main room. Minho was sitting at his manicurist table sorting the days receipts. He glanced up when the two walked in. His eyes were immediately drawn to the youngest and he swiftly stood up, his heart pounding in his chest. 

Crap…

Taemin remained frozen, his gaze glued to the floor. Minho moved cautiously around his table to stand in front of the boy. His gaze remained locked on Taemin as Jonghyun and Onew bounced happily up to the others. Taemin heard the various compliments from them but didn’t listen as he shyly looked up at Minho. The older hadn’t said a word since he entered the room. Panic struck him hard. Did Minho not like the new look? Did it make him look fatter? Uglier? Oh God. What if Minho stopped helping him?! What if he thought he was a lost cause? Taemin bit his lip in anticipation. Then Minho leaned in making Taemin jump back, not knowing what to expect from the owner. 

“I like it. A lot.” Minho whispered with a smile. Their eyes met and Taemin’s heart skipped a beat. He blushed madly before turning away, dark thoughts tugged at the the back of his mind. He tried to rebuild the walls back around him, but one look from Minho had them crashing down again. 

“So. Should we tan him!?” The silence was broken by Onew who had mysteriously moved from the center of the circle to the tanning beds towards the back of the salon. Taemin’s head snapped up with fearful eyes. He looked at the other three who were staring at each other. Minho’s gaze fell back on the younger before all four of them yelled out. 

“NO.” Dejected, Onew returned to the group and offered the next service. A facial. Taemin froze and immediately wrapped his arms around his body.

“I…um. I don’t…” He began stammering when he felt a strong arm wrap around his shoulder. The younger glanced up to see Minho’s affectionate gaze. The younger blushed as he felt the owner’s arm slide down and around his waist, pulling him closer. 

“You know what guys. I think Tae did awesome today. Let’s wait until tomorrow okay?” Minho smiled as he felt Taemin immediately relax. 

“Sure boss. No problem.” 

“Alright. I’ll leave you guys to lock up alright?”

“Where you going?” 

“Well.” Minho looked down at the boy on his arm. “If its alright with everyone, I was gonna make sure Taemin got home alright.” The rest of the staff looked at Minho wide-eyed. 

“You don’t have to do that…” Minho heard Taemin’s quiet whisper before turning to face the younger. 

“What if I want to? Come on.” Minho grabbed Taemin’s hand and led him out the front door before he could even begin to protest. 

“Jeeze! He didn’t even give us time to answer!” Jonghyun shouted. “I better get paid overtime for this!” Key and Onew just laughed as they watched their boss and their cute client walk out the front door. 

 

~

 

Outside Minho opened the passenger side door to his black Lexus and motioned for Taemin to sit. 

“You can’t be serious. This is your car?” Taemin’s eyebrow raised as Minho smiled proudly. 

“It was a gift from my parents for successfully opening my own shop.” Taemin nodded awkwardly before taking a seat on the plush black leather. Minho shut the door with a soft thud before moving around the car to slide into the drivers seat. 

“You really didn’t have to drive me home…” Tae kept his eyes down, terrified to even look at the elder. 

“I know. But I wanted to, plus you haven’t eaten today. So I was thinking we could get a bite. I know this pretty decent—” 

“Why are you being so nice to me?” Taemin murmured. “I’m not special. I’m not handsome. I’m not…anything…” Minho looked at him and felt his heart break. Surely Taemin couldn’t believe that. 

“Taemin. Listen. I…I don’t know what happened to make you feel this way, and…I know its pointless to ask, but I want you— no I need you to understand that none of us see you that way. You’re not nothing Taemin.” Minho gently placed a hand on the younger’s shoulder.

“I don’t believe you…” Minho sighed and brought his hand to lift the younger’s chin, turning his head to look at him. They locked eyes for a few moments, neither wanting to break away. 

“You should.” 

 

~

 

The next day Taemin showed up to the shop later than normal. His now freshly cut hair still slightly messy from oversleeping. He yawned as he stood in a corner, once again in a pair of baggy jeans and t-shirt. His head bobbed from the lack of sleep, so much that he didn’t notice the small employee pow-wow taking place on the opposite end of the shop. 

Minho and the rest of his staff stood in a circle. Each one offering up suggestions as to what they should attempt next. However, that wasn’t the only topic of discussion…

“So…how was your date last night hyung?” Key whispered teasingly. Minho’s face turned cherry red as he recalled the previous night before. Everything happened so fast that it practically blurred in his mind. He remembered leaving the shop with the younger in a whirlwind, he recalled sitting with him in his car and talking, trying his best to make Taemin understand that he was worth something, even if the boy didn’t see it himself. 

“It wasn’t a date Kibum. We just went to dinner and then I took him home, that’s it.” Minho tried to hide his smile as he thought of the dinner they shared. It was just a small dinner. It was just a burger and fries. It was just a shared banana milk shake. It was just a small step closer to breaking down Taemin’s walls. But it wasn’t the dinner or the late night conversation about Taemin’s love of music and dance, or how Minho met the rest of his friends and hired them that made Minho adore Tae more. It was the way he spoke, the finality of his voice, the passion and musicality of it. The way Taemin held himself when he walked, without any degree of intimidation, or the way Taemin would hold the other’s gaze, confidence exuding off him in waves. Only when the pressure and cares of the world faded away, did Minho see who Taemin really was. Yet the minute the youngest felt anyones judgmental stare, he would shrink back into himself. Last night Minho got closer to Tae than probably anyone ever had in a long time, yet he also felt the furthest. For all the amazing conversions they had, Minho still had yet to figure out what happened in Taemin’s past nor discover the truth of Taemin’s self-destructive behavior. 

The night had passed seemingly well, and Minho felt his heart beginning to calm…until Taemin fell asleep on the way home. Minho bit his bottom lip as he recalled the feeling of the younger’s head landing on his shoulder, the weight of his slim dancers body resting lightly into the others. Minho’s hand gripped the steering wheel tighter as he fought the urge to put an arm around his sleeping client. 

Minho looked at Taemin now and smiled warmly as the boy shuffled closer to him. “Hey sleepyhead. Took you awhile to get here.”

“Yeah…” Tae’s head dropped down and landed against Minho’s chest. Minho chuckled and guided the boy into the next room where he was to have his first facial. 

“Come on Tae.” The boy grumbled as he slid into the reclined chair that was placed in the center of a small room. The room was decorated in the same lavish earth tones and paradise feel as the rest of the shop. There was a long counter filed to the brim with various bottles, creams and serums. Minho rolled up a chair and sat down as Onew stood over Taemin and gently brushed his hair from his forehead. Onew glanced at Minho who nodded cautiously.

“Taemin. We’re going to give you a facial now okay?” At that phrase Taemin’s eyes shot open and he bolted straight up in his seat. Minho and Onew were on the boy in a flash, both grabbing his arms to hold him down.

“Tae. Tae listen to me. Calm down. It’s gonna be okay.” 

“Minho…I really really don’t wanna do this.” Taemin’s eyes shied away from the elder s he struggled in their grip.

“Tae…” Minho moved in close as Taemin continue to fidget in the chair. Onew sat helpless by his side, exfoliating products in hand and ready to go. Taemin’s gaze met Minho’s and there was a moment of silence in the room. “Do you trust me?” Minho whispered. 

“No.” 

Onew chuckled behind his hand at Tae’s response before chiming in. “Taeminnie. What if I’m super gentle and Minho or I tell you everything we are doing before we do it? Neh? We’ll even tell you what each product does for your skin. That way if there is something that makes you uncomfortable, then we’ll stop right away.”  Taemin looked back and forth between both males before sighing and nodding slowly. 

Minho pressed Taemin back to lay in the chair as Onew stood over his client. “Okay Tae, I’m gonna pin back your bangs alright?” Taemin bit his lip and nodded as Onew took bobby pins and gently slid them into place. Next he wet his face with a warm wash cloth. Taemin hummed at the sensation, goosebumps emerging as they did before. He recalled the first time he had his hair washed with Key. 

Soon he heard Minho whispering in his ear, and blushed. The low bass of the owners voice set vibrations through his entire core. How could I man sound so y just talking about exfoliating wash? He didn’t have time to think about his answer as he felt a soft plush pad rubbing delicate circles on his forehead, working its way down to his cheeks and then chin. The floral scent paired with the scrubbing beads in the wash made Taemin feel like he was scrubbing away his pain and worry. 

Soon another warm wash cloth caressed his face. Once the scrub was completely washed away, Onew set to work applying a mask on Taemin’s face. The mask was thick and sticky, the only plus side was when he laid a pair of fresh cucumbers over his eyelids. When the youngest questioned it, Minho smiled and stated that it would rejuvenate the skin around his eyes…whatever that meant. 

However as soon as the mask had set and was ready to be removed, Taemin immediately reached for the fresh veggie and popped them both in his mouth. Minho couldn’t help but smile, taking comfort in the small victory. Onew removed the masked and Taemin in a breath. His skin felt tingly. When he asked, Onew explained that  it was perfectly normal, and that’s how he knew his skin was clean. 

Finally Onew added a faint drop of moisturizer and then unpinned Taemin’s bangs. The younger’s hands shot up to his face to touch his cheeks, desperate to feel the new found smoothness. He glances over at Minho who sometime durning the process moved dangerously close to Tae. Minho’s eyes traced every curve of his face, grazed over his lips and then settled back on Taemin’s bright eyes. 

“You’re beautiful.”

Suddenly the tension snapped and Taemin violently pushed Minho away. He jumped up and headed for the exit. Onew, however blocked the door as Minho repeatedly called out for the younger. Taemin dipped around Minho and shoved Onew out of the way, causing him to fall to the floor. Taemin paused for only a moment to look back and whisper his apologies. Minho still completely in shock by what was happening, noticed Taemin’s eyes rimmed with tears. He called out to Taemin one last time before the younger stormed out the door, leaving the shop employees in a state of shock.