The After Party

Life in High School
Please log in to read the full chapter

Donghae was twenty-one; at least that was what his driver's license was telling the clerk at the store outside of Mokpo. Her attention flicked between him and his license as she inspected it, before she handed it back to him, seemingly satisfied that he was legal. This was all a game to her. They did this every Friday night and sometimes Saturday. Each week it was the same silent stare down as she pretended to calculate his birthday in her head. 

She did not tell him the total, she just held out her hand for the cash. Donghae handed her the wad that was waiting for him after the game and smiled. She shook her head as she bagged up the cases of beer. 

"Are you ever going to tell me your name so I can thank you properly?"

"Nah, I don't know you and you don't know me. This way when you get busted I can deny everything."

He nodded and gathered the four bags that she had given him to hide the beer. No one needed to fill him in on the consequences he would suffer if he got caught; it was the reason he volunteered. Donghae wanted to see just how far this town was willing to go to protect their golden boy. How far will his father go to make sure the local police turn a blind eye? He had a feeling he could rob a bank and would walk out of the police station with nothing but a slap on the wrist. Donghae's father owned this town and it digusted him. 

He set the bags in the back and hopped into his Mustang. It was the only thing he owned, besides his guitar, that was his. No, that was not even correct. His father owned this car, because Donghae was too young to have any assets of value. His father just wanted Donghae under his thumb, wanted him to be dependent on him. Donghae was. He didn't have a choice. He was a two-sport varsity athlete. He could quit playing baseball and get a job, but his father would never allow him. No one is going to hire him to work during the winter and summer. That did not made him very dependable. His father liked to monitor his cash flow and Donghae knew he hated that he spent the majority of it on Jessica. Knowing that pissed his father off just meant he was going to spend more. 

Donghae pulled into the field where their water tower was located. Only a few cars and trucks were lined up, most with their lights on to give them enough light to party. Music was low so people could talk without yelling and a bonfire had been started. He saw a few couples walking off into the dark. No need to try to figure out what they were going to do. From the looks of it, they would be here a while. Normally he would not care, but he needed some time with Jessica. He had this ache that he could not describe, but knew that she was the reason for it. 

The second he threw his Mustang into park, Siwon was there to get the beer. He pulled a bottle out, popped the top and downed the beer before Donghae was even out of the car.

Please log in to read the full chapter