Not Again

Antiques

  “Have a good evening, thanks for your work today!”

            “You too, Hyuna. I’ll see you tomorrow!” Hongbin turned to walk away down the street towards his apartment before Hyuna called out to him.

            “Oh hey, your little elf friend, what’s his name? He seems nice, maybe you should try to socialize for once, maybe make some friends.”

            Hongbin rolled his eyes.

            “Thanks for the advice,” he intoned, and waved goodbye. The walk to his apartment wasn’t long, maybe fifteen minutes or so, and it was nice enough outside that he was comfortable in his light jacket. There was a park to his left, and there were parents herding their children into groups to go home, fussing about coats and messy hair. He was hungry, Hongbin realized, feeling his stomach rumble around. He hadn’t eaten a lot for lunch, choosing instead to doodle in his little notebook he carried with him, it was never anything big or elaborate, just little sketches of various subjects. He decided to stop by a small shop on his way home, one that he frequented. The owners knew him, and were always ready to get his order of kimbap started. Today was no different. Hongbin waved at the man at the counter, and went to take his regular seat in the back corner next to the window.

            As he sat there, waiting for his food, he overheard a gruff voice arguing with someone. Turning his head, he saw a satyr sitting a few tables over, leaning on his elbows with his phone between his ear and shoulder, shoveling food into his mouth as, apparently, he tried to have a heated conversation with someone.

            “I swear it’ll look good I promise I know,” he paused, chewing. “What I’m doing. You’re one to talk about ridiculous hair colors so you hav-“ The satyr stopped, apparently listening to the voice over the phone.

            “Orange will look great, it’s not like you- Yes!!! I’m not cutting it all off, im just dying it! What shade? Bright orange. Yahh, don’t yell like that, my ears are delicate! I have to listen to your screeching enough wh- you’re insufferable! I’m dying my hair orange, Hakyeon, and there’s no stopping me!” The satyr huffed and threw down his phone. He had neglected to hang up, however, so there was a tinny voice still coming from the phone. He rolled his eyes and tapped on the screen to end the call.

            He looked over to see Hongbin watching him, and loosely grinned.

            “Sorry about that, you know how elves can be.”

            Hongbin sighed. Today was just full of surprises, awesome.

            “Did you say Hakyeon?”

            The satyr blinked at his question.

            “Yeah, he’s my friend, why?”

            Hongbin dropped his head into his hands.

            “Nothing, nevermind.”

            He was too late in his neverminds though, and the table shifted as the half-goat half-tall, rough faced man with round yellow eyes sat down at Hongbin’s table.

            “Do you know Hakyeon?”

            Hongbin wondered what would happen if he just said no, got up and left. His mouth was not as thoughtful, however.

            “Yeah, he comes into the store I work at all the time and bothers me.”

            The satyr grinned.

            “What a coincidence! Yeah, me and Hakyeon go way back. I’m Wonshik, by the way.”

            Hongbin nodded. After a few awkward moments, he remembered that he was also supposed to introduce himself.

            “Lee Hongbin.”

           

            Wonshik ended up staying at Hongbin’s table while he ate, something that Hongbin grudgingly accepted, his want for food overriding his want to tell Wonshik to leave him alone. The satyr was definitely less talkative than some of the other creatures that Hongbin had met up to this point, something he appreciated while he ate.

            When Wonshik’s phone rang again, he looked at the caller and leaned back in his chair.

            “It’s Hakyeon, isn’t it?” Hongbin asked.

            “Yep.”

            “You might as well answer.”

            Wonshik eyed him and nodded, accepting the call.

            “Yah, Hakyeon-ah, I’m eatin-“ he held the phone away from his ear, rolling his eyes.

            “I told you not to yell at me over the pho- Hakyeon! Shut up about my hair oh my gods it’s not even- I can just dye it a different color if I don’t like it- No, it won’t wreck my hair, I know what I’m doing, I swear you’re such a hypocrite sometimes I-“ He paused, rolling his eyes.

            “Well since I’m ignoring you anyways, I thought I would tell you I ran into that guy you’ve been bothering at the antique store for weeks he- What? No, I didn’t follow him, I’m not a stalker unlike you who- No I didn’t invite myself over, you were arguing with me and he overheard you and agreed with me about you being annoying. Eh? Yeah, whatever, I made that up. It’s true anyways. No, I’m not goin- Hakyeon I swear I’m hanging up on you if you keep yelling at me. I can’t even understand what you’re saying, you are talking way too fast. How does your mouth even move that-“ Wonshik stopped again, glaring at a spot on the table.

            “Okay, I’m being rude to Hongbin at this point, what was it you were even calling me about because if it was my hair I’m hanging up right now.”

            Hongbin could hear the voice on the phone quiet and slow down. Wonshik’s eyes widened, and then he mouthed, “I have to go” at Hongbin, who nodded and watched him leave.

            The day just kept getting weirder and weirder, and Hongbin idly wondered if he would even make it home in one piece. He’d met a fairy and a satyr today, when most days he went without meeting a single creature. And the conversation that Wonshik had been having with Hakyeon- he didn’t even want to think about how everything seemed to be happening because of Hakyeon, not yet- and what it meant. Aside from the hair part, coloring his curly pale hair, apparently bright orange, the end of the conversation seemed… odd and out of place. And then him having to leave so fast. Hongbin sighed and left a tip on his table, standing.

            He stepped outside, and yet again set out to get to his apartment, stomach now satisfied. As he moved to check the time on his phone and check his messages, he heard someone approach and then he felt an arm sling around and onto his shoulders. Startled, he jerked in the opposite direction, turning to face whoever, or whatever, was the reason.

            “Shh, just turn around and keep walking, we’re friends, okay? Just play along for a little while.” The voice belonged to a boy about as tall as Hongbin, with a baseball hat on and shades, grinning at him with… Hongbin stared at what appeared to be fangs poking out through his lips.

            “Do what?”

            “They’re right behind me, and I figure that if I look like I was already here they won’t be able to figure me out just yet. I’m Sanghyuk, by the way, and I’m running from some kids who decided to get in my way, so I scared them a little bit and then they chased after me, so just pretend for me for a little bit.” He laughed, pointedly shifting his head to the side. Hongbin followed his gaze, to see a group of three boys running towards them. Upon seeing Hongbin, Sanghyuk close by, they turned and ran off in another direction, talking excitedly about vampires and other spooks. He turned back, and shook his shoulders, dislodging the arm still resting there. Sanghyuk, still grinning, nodded to him.

            “Hey, thanks for that! I’m already running late to meet my friend, elves can be very impatient and Hakyeon is the least patient one I’ve met yet.”

            Hongbin stopped altogether, yet again considering just leaving. Maybe if he left, he could just get home and watch a movie and then sleep until his shift at the store tomorrow. He brought his hands up to his face, pushing them into his temples. He faced his options. He could leave, and pretend none of it happened, or he could stop and confront this Sanghyuk boy. His mouth went ahead of his brain, making his decision for him.

            “You know Hakyeon?”

            “Yeah, I live right by him and he’s known me since I was a kid. Why? Do you know him? What a weird coincidence! He’s always meeting new people, I swear. He’s already practically adopted me, and even convinced Taekwoon to be his friend. And no one is friends with Taekwoon.”

            Hongbin’s head hurt. That’s three new creatures that he’s met, just in the last two hours. He hesitated for a second.

            “I know him. He bothers me at work every day. Did those kids say something about a vampire?”

            Sanghyuk nodded.

            “Believe it or not, that’s me! Blahhhh,” he laughed, poking his tongue out between his teeth.

            Hongbin sighed.

            “You’re not aiming to my blood, are you?”

            “Nope, not today. You helped me out, after all, and I pride myself on being a pretty good guy, for a vampire at least. Where do you work? Maybe I’ll come visit too, you seem interesting. Not many people don’t freak out when someone runs into them, and then reveals being a vampire.”

            “To be fair, you don’t seem like much of a vampire.”

            Sanhyuk groaned.

            “I swear, hundred percent vampire. People always tell me that though. Should I act more vampire-like, maybe dress in all black and wear a cloak? It’s not like I’m crazy or anything.” He turned to face Hongbin, eyes just barely visible through the dark shades, face in shadow under the hat.

            “I gotta run, but thanks again for helping me, um,” he trailed off.

            Not for the first time today, Hongbin remembered the basics of interaction.

            “Lee Hongbin.”

            

 


hehe another short chapter sorry they will probably all be around this length it helps me separate my thinking

so now we've (almost) met everyone

wonshik is a satyr, and sanghyuk is a sassy ty vampire

thanks for reading!