Finale

Like The Wind, Propitious

 

Like The Wind, Propitious (Finale)

 

Jongin is taken by surprise at the language coming out from the mouth that did nothing but praying. Even Chanyeol looks shocked, though it is for an entirely different reason.

 

“W-we just met this morning, right? How did you know where I live?” Chanyeol leans against the doorframe, making no move to invite them inside.

 

“Well, yeah, about that,” the woman starts, and glances inside the house. “Are your parents in right now?”

 

“No.”

 

“Come, let’s chit chat inside.” The soul taking over Kyungsoo’s body pushes her way in and Chanyeol relents, but Jongin still notices the way his shoulders tense in a way of keeping his guard up.

 

As Chanyeol turns and sees Jongin, the latter smiles feebly. “I’m his friend.”

 

The taller quirks an eyebrow, but still lets him in and shuts the door behind him.

 

The female soul doesn't opt for the couch in the living hall, instead she stops at a row of framed photos along the cabinet, discerning each with a rather sorrowful gaze, contradicting her recent sassy demeanor.

 

Jongin comes from behind her and observes them as well. The photographs consist of Chanyeol and presumably his family, and some of them even spot only him with a lovely-looking girl around their age, laughing happily. Chanyeol looked so different in the photo.

 

They snap out of their little witnessing when Chanyeol suddenly turns the particular photograph down, clearing his throat.

 

“What business do you have with me?”

 

“See, this is probably why you’re never going to get a grip with your life.” The lady speaks up, looking pointedly at Chanyeol who looks too confused to even manage a retort.

 

“If you’re not going to let me go, how are you going to move on? It wasn't even your fault I got into that accident. Now you’re moping around like a lifeless doll when you have so much waiting for you in the future.”

 

“What are you talking about—” Chanyeol tries, but he is cut off.

 

“Chanyeol, I can’t cross that bridge if you keep holding me back.” Kyungsoo’s body closes the distance between them, bringing up his small hands and cups the taller’s cheeks. Jongin stays silent in the background, looking away because he deems it too personal to watch.

 

Chanyeol, eyes imploring the shorter’s orbs warily, blinks as he tries to put two and two together. The eyes look strangely familiar. “Y-Yura?”

 

‘Kyungsoo’ smiles softly at him. “I thought you’d never recognize me.”

 

“Y-you’re—”

 

“It’s Kyungsoo. You know that boy who can see ghosts and stuff? I asked for his help. You’ve got to thank him later.” He pinches the taller’s cheek. “It’s weird being in a boy’s body, you see. I have to make it worth it.”

 

“Y-you said you can’t cross that bridge?” Chanyeol asks reluctantly, still too shocked to apprehend anything at the moment. Maybe it’s because of his constant depression and delusion after her death, but he already considered the idea of kicking them both out because this is too insane. But the eyes he’s staring into definitely belong to his late lover, though the body doesn't. Chanyeol still has a hard time accepting her death; he just can't look at anything without being reminded of her. Sometimes, he believes she is still around, and he is too delusional to let it go no matter how much his parents convince him.

 

“I can’t. I looked for you and figured out why. Have you heard of when people die, their souls won’t be at ease until the people around them accept their death? It’s true. You’re holding me back.” Yura explains, never breaking eye contact with the taller because she will never see him again after this.

 

“But you’re here…” The taller murmurs desperately.

 

“Yes, but not for long. This body isn’t mine. I’ve got to return it.”

 

“Do you have to? You can stay. I promise I’ll love you better. I promise I’ll take care of you.” This time, it’s Chanyeol who cups the shorter’s cheeks, frowning dolefully.

 

“Look, Chanyeol, this is why I can’t be in peace. You’re not letting me go. I’m not going to stop you if you still want to love me, but at least, let me go. There are tons of people out there and you’ve got a life ahead of you. You can’t keep hanging on to me.”

 

“But I love you…” Sniffles are heard as Chanyeol lowers his head and touch their foreheads together, eyes downcast.

 

Kyungsoo’s face falls, on the verge of tears. “I love you too, Chanyeol. I always do. But you’ve got to move on. Someone out there will going to need your love too someday, and I can assure you that that person is worth it, maybe even more than me. And when the time comes, you will forget about me and move on. That’s all I could ever wish for.”

 

Chanyeol’s sobs grow louder, and Jongin at the back shifts uncomfortably. It’s awkward for him to just stand there since he has nothing better to do anyway. He’s only here because Kyungsoo – or more precisely, Kyungsoo’s body is here. He keeps his sight away from them to give them more privacy.

 

He makes a double when he notices that there is no more space between them, their lips connected. Jongin almost protests and even takes a step forward when he is reminded again of the fact that that is not Kyungsoo.

 

Still, that doesn't change the fact that it’s Kyungsoo’s lips.

 

With great reluctance, Jongin slumps and merely looks away, a tint of red dusting his cheeks. He didn't even get to kiss Kyungsoo yet. The chance never seems to come… or Jongin is just too much of a coward.

 

After a few more consoling and exchanged promises, Yura drags him back out and leaves Chanyeol alone in the house, weeping.

 

“He needs it.” Yura mutters, voice a bit broken as she grabs Jongin’s wrist and they both go back to where they first encountered each other. For the whole journey, the lady has been nothing but silent, and Jongin trails behind her, keeping his tongue in as he fights the urge to ask her when'll she return Kyungsoo.

 

“You know, I’ve been watching you two silently.” The lady admits at some point along the way, turning to face Jongin. “Kyungsoo’s too nice sometimes.”

 

“I’m aware of that.” Jongin agrees. It’s not the first time Kyungsoo has gone out of his way to fulfill a request of those who have disintegrated from their bodies. It is, however, his first time allowing a soul to temporarily possess his body.

 

“Take good care of him. Who knows if you’ll never be able to see him again.” She’s obviously referring to Chanyeol.

 

“I will.”

 

Then, the female soul sighs. “Ah, I feel so light now. It’s coming for me. Relay my thanks to Kyungsoo. I wish you two great of health together.”

 

Then, the leaves start to rustle, and breezes form melodies in the air as they both almost sway to the strong wind. Jongin winces as some of the wind got to his eye, rubbing at it with the back of his fist when he registers the sight in front of him. The boy is closing his eyes, hair being messed up by the breeze, and Jongin thinks he sees a hint of light coming out from the area of his heart.

 

The first thing that the boy does after the wind suddenly stops is to fall on his knees, and again Jongin finds himself barely catching him in his arms.

 

Jongin lets his knees give way too as he cradles Kyungsoo’s face, concern etched in his features. “Kyungsoo? Hey, can you hear me?”

 

He doesn't respond in the first few seconds, successfully making Jongin more alarmed as he gives a few more soft slaps on his cheeks. Kyungsoo then slowly blinks open his eyes, bleary. He shuts them back soon after as he whines. “Jongin… I’m sleepy…”

 

Ah, that’s my Kyungsoo.

 

For the first time that day, Jongin smiles as he brushes away the hair on the shorter boy’s forehead.

 

Willingly, he gives Kyungsoo a piggyback ride as he carries him home, loving the close proximity between their faces as Kyungsoo snuggles on his shoulder. The sun has already made its way down the horizon and the temperature lowers as night crawls in, even the night breeze starts blowing, but they are both nice and warm so long as they’re together.

 

Jongin sometimes bends his head to the side to steal a glance at the boy on his shoulder, dozing off. His eyelashes are so long and lips so plush and inviting, Jongin regrets never seeing him up close like this before. So pure, so innocent, just like his kind soul. He wonders what else will come the boy’s way. Maybe even more requests and inquiries, but just like the wind, full of promises of rain; propitious, Kyungsoo will make sure to tend to each desperate soul.

 

He finally makes it in front of the small house, treading his way to the opened door. Their house never seems to close the front door; always welcoming anyone to stop by at anytime, offering as much hospitality as they can. Jongin once asked Kyungsoo if he’s worried robbers could break in. The boy merely replied with: “We make sure to own nothing worth stealing.”

 

Fixing his position of holding Kyungsoo, he calls out: “Grandma! It’s Jongin!”

 

There is no response. Jongin walks a bit to the side and catches a glimpse of the old woman praying in the shrine, closing her eyes. Already a bit sore, Jongin decides to just enter the house, kicking his shoes off. He then slowly lowers the boy behind him, already limp from drowsiness, and he carefully takes off his shoes for him, tucking both pairs neatly at the side. Placing both of their backpacks down, he decides to help Kyungsoo in first. His back is hurting now so he settles for carrying him bridal style instead.

 

“Oh? Young Jongin!”

 

He nearly drops the boy altogether at the old lady’s voice behind him. “Grandma, you’ve finished praying?”

 

“I have. Is my boy okay?” She asks, poking at the sleepy boy’s shoulder mirthfully.

 

Jongin bites his lip, not sure if he could or could not tell the grandmother about Kyungsoo’s going around helping souls.

 

As if she could read his mind, the old lady merely smiles in understanding. “Just bring him to his room, if you don't mind.”

 

And Jongin does, careful as not to jolt the boy awake in his arms. He trudges through the small hallway and slides the wooden door open with his foot. Kyungsoo has never invited him to his room but Jongin tries not to pry even though he really wants to see how it looks like.

 

As the door opens, Jongin can’t seem to find the light switch, but the light from the hallway is more than adequate for him to see some details in the room. He catches a futon in his eye, conveniently splaying out in the middle of the room, and quickly goes over to kneel down before gently laying Kyungsoo down on it.

 

He sighs, looking around the room with purpose, until he sees a single light bulb attached to the ceiling, a lone string hanging out from it. Inquisitively, he pulls the said string and light illuminates the whole interior of the small room.

 

Thankfully, Kyungsoo doesn't stir from the intruding light. Jongin just wants to make sure Kyungsoo’s in good state before he leaves. He also wants to see the things that make up Kyungsoo’s little room.

 

There’s not even a closet to keep and hang his school uniforms after being pressed, but there are a few hooks on a wall to serve that purpose just fine. A small block of drawers is tucked nicely in a crook, probably to store casual clothes and undergarments along with other necessities. Near the open window, stones of various colour are arrayed in a neat way, and there are even some items Jongin recognizes as charms. It is so like Kyungsoo to keep them.

 

The entire room fits Kyungsoo perfectly; courteous and modest. Jongin finds himself falling more for the boy who’s sleeping so tranquilly, like a calm pond with koi fish swimming around.

 

He doesn't know why but tears suddenly pool in his eyes, and they stream down his cheeks without his consent. Jongin returns to his kneeling position beside Kyungsoo, the latter unaware of the overwhelming emotions knotting in Jongin’s chest.

 

The boy takes a moment to study Kyungsoo’s face, so serene and beautiful. Soon after, he lowers his head in a resigned manner, clenching his fists on his knees as he lets out a muffled sob.

 

Kyungsoo is perfect; too perfect for Jongin to have. Yet, his inner selfish screams for him to have the boy for himself. He wouldn't trade Kyungsoo for anything in this world.

 

His small sobs seem to have awaken the boy for he blinks his eyes open and turns his head to Jongin. The smaller boy frowns sadly at the sight.

 

He rests a palm on top of Jongin’s hand. “Why are you crying, Jongin?”

 

Jongin takes the lithe hand and squeezes it lovingly. “Nothing. I just…” He wipes at his tears, a blush rising up for appearing so weak in front of the elder.

 

He tries to put up a convincing smile, but then decides to screw it as he bends himself down and catches the beautiful lips with his own in a sweet, tender kiss. They stay that way for a long time and Jongin thinks the air stops still around them.

 

When he opens back his eyes, Kyungsoo is pink all over, eyes so wide they could practically bulge out, but he shows no sign of displeasure. Jongin knows it’s mutual, and he smiles down affectionately at him.

 

“I just love you too much.”

 

-

 

It’s been over a week since the incident, and Chanyeol seems to have taken a liking on both Kyungsoo and Jongin. He always hangs out with them at lunch or whenever they have gym together. He thought they wouldn't like his company at first, but Kyungsoo is more than glad whenever he approaches them, though he isn’t so sure about the other one.

 

He lets out a huge yawn as he strolls along the crowded hallway, trying to get to his class. The boy stayed up late last night to finish his adjourned math homework, and now it has taken its toll on him.

 

Hands tucked in his slacks pockets, Chanyeol maneuvers his way to the class, but just when he stops in front of the classroom, someone bumps into him with a muffled squeak, causing him to jolt forward.

 

Chanyeol peers behind him and meets with scruffy brown locks, delicate fingers covering his face as he lets out a faint whimper.

 

“Sorry, bud. You okay there?”

 

“Yeah, just—” The boy then uncovers his face, rubbing his nose a bit as he levels his head up to see the taller boy.

 

Chanyeol’s eyes couldn't have grown any wider than they are now. He can literally feel a new blossoming swell in his chest, but he can’t quite place what it means, or why it’s even there in the first place.

 

“I’m looking for class 2-C?” He hears him ask, looking around and up and takes note of the header above them. “Oh, here it is. Are you a part of this class too? I’ve just got transferred here.”

 

“Y-yeah…” Chanyeol is still frozen in his spot, eyes blinking stupidly at the boy in front of him.

 

“Cat’s got your tongue or what?” The boy chuckles playfully before holding out a hand. “I’m Baekhyun, by the way. Byun Baekhyun.”

 

 

 


A/N : /weeps this fic officially has a place in my heart. OTL

Sorry if there are any mistakes. /bows

All kinds of feedback are welcomed! Thank you so much for reading!