One

Like The Wind, Propitious

 

 

Like The Wind, Propitious

 

 

Jongin was 13 when he first saw Kyungsoo talking to… something. Something that wasn't visible in Jongin's eyes. 

 

He quickly hid behind a tree as he trailed his gaze on the shorter boy who was talking animatedly with the empty air. Jongin had half a mind to flee from there, but his feet remained as he observed how Kyungsoo was waving in the air, but not to him.

 

When Kyungsoo started walking in his direction, he still couldn't find it in himself to move. The boy saw him standing there, and he beamed, but Jongin didn't smile back to him.

 

“Jongin! What are you doing there?”

 

He didn't reply, instead he merely stared at Kyungsoo as if he was a ghost, too stunned to say anything. Kyungsoo blinked up innocently at him.

 

The next day, he saw Kyungsoo kneeling on the dirty ground, combing the grass and wide eyes searching. Jongin found himself behind a shady tree once again as he squinted his eyes when Kyungsoo finally cracked a triumphant smile, raising up an object in his hand.

 

The boy so suddenly shot up from his position and ran off, his pants covered in dirt and white uniform shirt stained, while clutching the item to his chest. Young Jongin withdrew from his hiding and quickly jogged to where Kyungsoo was running to.

 

He almost stumbled forward as his feet took him to the edge of the cliff, though it was nothing hazardous as it only met with the closest river bank. The sunset made the stream look as if it was shining, especially when the waves rippled. In the corner of his eye, he spotted a small figure crouching dangerously close to the flowing river.

 

Jongin shifted so he could see what the boy was doing. Kyungsoo seemed to be articulating, if the movement of his lips were any indication. He then held out his tiny hand and dropped the object he was holding into the stream. Jongin recognized it as a keyring – a very old-looking, rusty keyring.

 

Brushing his hands off, Kyungsoo rose to his feet and trailed the metal with his eyes as it went along the serene flow of the river. Jongin didn't realize he was following his gaze on the keyring too until Kyungsoo shouted his name, walking up to him.

 

“Hi, Jongin! Are you on your way home?” He asked, chubby cheeks slightly smudged with mud.

 

Jongin took two steps back and gulped. “What were you doing down there?” He motioned towards the river bank.

 

Kyungsoo turned his head to the stream, and he smiled so brightly when he chirped: “I was helping a friend!”

 

Young Jongin didn't need to ask about the ‘friend’.

 

But Jongin is seventeen now, and he is more than used to it when Kyungsoo pulls him by his sleeve and stops by a tree. The Jongin now doesn't need to ask why Kyungsoo brings his two hands together and closes his eyes. The Jongin now doesn't need to ask why Kyungsoo is praying to an old tree. The Jongin now doesn't need to ask why Kyungsoo suddenly pats the tree and croons something to it as if it was a pet.

 

Well, Jongin tries at least, but sometimes, curiosity kills and he found himself enquiring the elder. Of course, most of the answers were something that Jongin would rather not know and he regretted ever asking in the first place.

 

In this case, he merely stands a safe distance away from where Kyungsoo’s praying, staring at his feet as if it suddenly got interesting. It’s becoming a routine; Kyungsoo would stop at an old shady plant and pray while Jongin would wait until the elder is finished before they resume their way home.

 

Occasionally, Kyungsoo would stop by somewhere more than once, if only to chatter up something or giggle alone. Jongin thought it’s adorable, that was until he realized the real reason behind it.

 

He is taken out of his trance when Kyungsoo tugs at his wrist, heart-shaped lips forming the most dazzling smile Jongin has ever seen on anyone.

 

Jongin suddenly remembers why he doesn't mind.

 

“Grandma’s been wanting to see you. She said she missed you.” Kyungsoo says almost shyly.

 

Jongin lets out a soft smile. “You want me to come over?”

 

Kyungsoo spots an ecstatic beam before nodding vigorously, pulling Jongin’s hand as he lets the elder guide him.

 

Kyungsoo has been living with his grandmother at her almost run-down house beside a large shrine since forever. When asked where his parents was, he gave an innocent shrug. He said he never knew if his parents were still alive or not, but he was satisfied with how his life was going. Jongin didn't see the need to pity the orphan since Kyungsoo always looks like he’s living each day to the fullest. His lively smile and honest orbs prove it.

 

“Grandma! I’m home! And Jongin’s here too!” Kyungsoo yelled as he undoes his shoes, grinning up at Jongin in an inviting manner as he ushers him inside.

 

An old woman appears out of the corner and smiles crookedly. “Young Kim Jongin! What a pleasant surprise! Come in!” The old lady turns her slouched back as she walks away, her stick helping her along the way. “I’ve made some tea and sweet cakes for the evening!”

 

Jongin feels like an awkward guest as Kyungsoo makes him sit on a mat, the latter running off to the back probably to get something. There is no dining hall or chairs or anything alike, and Jongin has long since figured out that they live a thoroughly humble life. The old lady spends her time taking care of the shrine, sweeping the ground from fallen leaves and chasing out naughty boys who think it’s a good idea to fly their paper rockets there. She also loves making snacks and sweets, which she sometimes make Kyungsoo bring them to school so he could share with his friends.

 

The lady places a tray on the square table, colourful delicacies arranged neatly around the tray along with a teapot and a couple of cups. Jongin’s mouth waters and he never regrets coming here.

 

“It’s been a while since I receive young guests!” The lady says in her high-pitched hoarse voice. “I’ve gotten sick of seeing people my own age around here, you see.” She then cackles.

 

Jongin chuckles politely, taking some more sweet cakes from the tray as he swallows the first one. “How are you, grandma?”

 

“As old as can be. My back gets in the way sometimes.” As if to prove a point, she pats her own backbone, making disgruntled noises. She picks herself up and disappears again into the kitchen presumably.

 

At that moment, Kyungsoo’s footsteps thud on the floor as he nears them. He drops to his knees and sits right beside Jongin. The shorter boy timidly picks up Jongin’s free hand, turns his palm up and lodges a small object on it, curling Jongin’s fingers so he can clasp them around it. Jongin looks at him questioningly.

 

Kyungsoo’s lips are set into a thin, anxious line. He shyly glances up through his eyelashes and utters. “So luck would always be on your side.”

 

Curious, Jongin uncurls his fingers and his eyes land on an emerald stone, not smooth nor sharp, as it reflects the light that shine upon it. It takes nothing more than half the size of his thumb. He twiddles with it with his thumb and forefinger, raising it to his eyes.

 

“Do you like it?” Kyungsoo asks with hesitance, playing with his thumbs absentmindedly. “I found it near the shrine.”

 

Jongin clenches his hand and smiles warmly at him. He brings up a hand and ruffles the elder’s hair. “It’s beautiful. I’ll make sure to keep it safely. Thank you.”

 

Kyungsoo always makes sure to give him objects like these, the ones that can hold more sentimental values than any jewelry or easily discarded overpriced items could. Even though most of the time he doesn't understand the use of them, Jongin still finds it endearing in a way that he would tuck them in one safe place, so that looking at them would remind him of Kyungsoo.

 

He knows he couldn't ask for anything more than the bright smile that adorns Kyungsoo’s childlike face.

 

“Young lovers, I have to go and check up on the shrine now.” The old lady passes by the guest room. “Make sure to eat up the snacks!”

 

Both of them found themselves blushing at how the old lady addressed them. Flustered, Kyungsoo stuffs his mouth with one of the sweets, pink cheeks puffing out from the food as he turns away from Jongin.

 

Jongin pokes at one of his cheeks.

 

-

 

The next morning, as usual Jongin would wait for Kyungsoo in front of the shrine where the latter would normally perform his morning prayers. “For a blessed day,” Kyungsoo had explained some time ago.

 

Not even halfway to school, Kyungsoo halts his steps. Jongin, a little further than Kyungsoo, turns around when he notices that Kyungsoo is no longer beside him.

 

The boy is staring at the bushes, and Jongin directs his gaze there too but he doesn't have enough courage for his eyes to linger there. The morning breeze caresses their cheeks and even makes the leaves brush each other.

 

“What’s wrong?” He calls out to the elder.

 

Kyungsoo snaps his head forward and shakes it. “Nothing. Come on. We’ll be late for class.”

 

-

 

At school, Kyungsoo doesn't immediately go for his class, but instead he ventures somewhere along the hallway. Jongin can't fight the curiosity in him, and although Kyungsoo didn't ask for him to follow him, Jongin still does it this time.

 

They tread through a throng of other students; Kyungsoo’s eyes analyzing each class as they pass by. Jongin keeps a cautious eye on Kyungsoo as he too scrutinizes each class, some of the students recognizable.

 

Kyungsoo pauses at one particular class, and Jongin does the same. He almost tries to stop him from entering into the said classroom. Jongin barely recognizes anyone in there.

 

Since the school doesn't officially start until the bell rings, they have quite some time to spare. The students are scattering about, chattering and laughing with each other to kill time. They hardly notice the boy walking through.

 

Kyungsoo stops at a desk; occupied by a boy no older than he is as he slumps against the wood. When the student notices the presence of a guest, he looks up.

 

“Who are you?” The voice is deep and raspy, as if he has been doing nothing but crying. His swollen eyes give it away.

 

Kyungsoo blinks. “Are you Park Chanyeol?”

 

Jongin, still outside the class, simply watches them from afar. He can’t pick up any words exchanged between them as it is too noisy, but he also doesn't think it’s appropriate to walk into the class as if it’s his own. That’s why he kind of panics when Kyungsoo approaches the lanky guy with no aversion whatsoever. He’s a lot bolder than Jongin thought, or maybe it’s a rare case.

 

When Kyungsoo finally exits the classroom – still no one barely notices him – he’s frankly surprised to see Jongin there.

 

“Do you know that guy?” Jongin asks.

 

“No,” Kyungsoo replies. “It’s my first time meeting him.”

 

Before he could ask him for what reason exactly, the bell rings, and they go separate ways to their respective classes.

 

-

 

After school ends, Jongin waits for Kyungsoo at the main gates. The elder usually comes out late to help sweep the floor of his classroom and even water the potted plant on the teacher’s desk. “The plants, they’re living, breathing. If you take care of them, they will help pray for your well-being too.”

 

Jongin thinks there’s no one in this world that could’ve been more sincere than Kyungsoo.

 

When Kyungsoo steps out, his lips stretch outward in an honest smile as he takes in the sight of Jongin waiting for him.

 

“Hey,” Jongin returns the smile. “Ready to go back?”

 

“Actually, I have something to do before we go home.” Kyungsoo starts walking in the opposite direction of their housing area. He then twists his body to face a rather confused Jongin. “Do you wish to come along?”

 

Looking at the confident façade, Jongin knows this is one of those days.

 

“Sure.”

 

-

 

They stop by a tree; but this tree is nothing familiar, not in Jongin’s eyes. Kyungsoo turns his head back and forth, as if searching, until he decides to place his backpack down on the grassy ground near the plant.

 

There is a moment of silence where Kyungsoo just nods and makes an understanding noise, like he’s discussing matters with someone. Again, a focusing Kyungsoo is cute,  his full lips jutting out into a pout and large eyes squinting, but Jongin isn’t really fond of the idea that it isn’t directed at him.

 

Kyungsoo’s eyebrows frown in contemplation, until he swiftly speaks up in a decisive manner. “Okay, fine. But don't take too long. And don’t be greedy. You understand me? Just this time.”

 

Jongin frowns at the words, not really comprehending what is going on. Suddenly, Kyungsoo’s eyes shut close and he falls limp to the ground, Jongin barely catching him.

 

“Kyungsoo?” He shakes the small shoulders, tone rising in exasperation when there is no immediate response. “Kyungsoo!”

 

Jongin fears the day that the angered souls would take advantage of an innocent Kyungsoo has come, and they will take Kyungsoo with them— Get a grip, Jongin.

 

Then, a grunt escapes the boy’s mouth and Jongin sighs in relief. But before he could haul him back up, Kyungsoo stands up on his own as if he didn't just collapse. He flails his arms and look at them with furrowed eyebrows.

 

“I feel so weird in this.” He says, but for some reason it lacks the usual softness that Kyungsoo usually radiates with.

 

“Are you alright, Kyungsoo?” Jongin asks worryingly.

 

Kyungsoo looks up at him, but there’s something different in his eyes. It almost doesn't… look like Kyungsoo. “Oh, you’re the lover boy, aren’t you?”

 

Jongin stutters. “Pardon?”

 

“Don't worry. I’ll return your Kyungsoo after a moment.” The boy waves off a hand rather femininely, tucking his hips to the side. It’s as if Kyungsoo has turned into a whole different person.

 

This is not my Kyungsoo, Jongin thinks as he scrutinizes the boy in front of him.

 

“Don't give me that look. I said I’ll return him to you shortly.” Kyungsoo says as his eyes wander. He then decides it’s a good idea to pull at his collar so he could see his own torso. “It feels really weird having no s.” He then tugs at his waistband. “Oh, well, this is awkward. I have a rod.” He then snaps it back in place. “I guess it’s better than nothing.”

 

Jongin blushes as he looks away from him. That is so not Kyungsoo.

 

“H-how long are you going to be in him?” Jongin finds himself asking, finally grasping the situation. At least he thinks so.

 

“Not too long, I hope.” The woman, Jongin decides, replies. “It’s not good for him too, anyway. It’ll tire him out when I leave.”

 

“Is this really possible?” Jongin doesn't even know what he’s referring to, but thankfully the other does.

 

“It is. It just requires permission. And I have Kyungsoo’s permission.” The woman holds out a hand and observes the pale skin. “You’ve got to be kidding me. He has nicer complexion than me when I still had my body.”

 

Now, Jongin understands why Kyungsoo had asked her not to be greedy. He was afraid if she might never leave his body at all.

 

“Then, if you are in his body, where’s Kyungsoo?” Even Jongin thinks it’s a stupid question.

 

“He’s still here.” The woman says matter-of-factly, pointing a finger on her own chest. “Sleeping. His soul is sleeping. Which is why when I leave the body and the soul wakes up, he’d feel a lot tired than usual since his body is moving without the soul’s conscience, despite having permission earlier.”

 

“Please don't take too long.” Jongin finds himself pleading, suddenly growing concerned.

 

“I know. I won’t.”

 

-

 

“Where are we heading to?” Jongin almost trips on a pebble as he tries to catch up with the shorter’s stride.

 

“Wow, you are so loud I wonder what Kyungsoo sees in you.” The woman mutters playfully.

 

Jongin pouts, slightly offended. He’s only asking too much because he is worried.

 

Then, they stop at the front gates of an unfamiliar house, the woman pushing the gates open and allowing herself— er, herself in Kyungsoo’s body in. Frowning, Jongin trails behind her, taking careful steps as not to ruin anything along the way since there are too many dried leaves and they leave nothing much to see on the ground.

 

Kyungsoo presses the door bell and waits, arms crossing in his-- her chest in a chic manner. Jongin, on the other hand, looks around in wary.

 

When the door swings open, a tall guy appears, hair disheveled and dark circles under his eyes. “Who is— you?”

 

“Long time no see, Park Chanyeol.” The woman addresses. “You look like .”

 


 

A/N : First half is up. I'll try to post the second half no later than tomorrow. Thank you so much for reading and please tell me what you think thus far. Your feedbacks help me grow. ^^ See you soon!