Finale;

Twist of Fate
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

Finale;

 

People are always preparing themselves to hear the worst that could happen to someone they love if the profession had a high risk of death. Every day, they tell themselves that if they receive news upon their death, it’s okay. They’ve been through self-talk, trying to convince themselves that it was okay. They thought they were always prepared.

But how wrong they were.

When the real news come about, that’s when they realize that they aren’t prepared at all. They thought they wouldn’t cry, but tears that shed could become a flood. They thought they wouldn’t break down, but unknowingly, the body decided to betray the mind and knees weakened themselves. They thought they were strong enough but the body told them otherwise.

Ryuki could understand how these people felt. They were brave enough to accept the truth but somehow, the internal parts wouldn’t cooperate. Ryuki knew that someday, she’ll be one of them. And that day came. But God liked to add unexpected turns of events in life. And Ryuki was one of them to experience it. And boy, was it unexpected.

“Ma? Is Papa alive?” San asked.

Ryuki sighed. “I hope so, San.”

Hours, they waited. San was dozing off to sleep in Ryuki’s arms but Ryuki couldn’t sleep. She was tired but she couldn’t sleep until she saw for herself that the doctor would come out of the Operating Room (OR) and tell her that her husband was still alive.

The light of the OR turned off and the doors opened. Ryuki sat straight, causing San to wake up. The doctor approached Ryuki.

“Mrs. Kim?”

“Yes, doctor?”

“You were lucky to notice that your husband was still breathing.”

“How is he now, doctor?”

The doctor smiled. “He’s alive.”

Ryuki sighed in relief. Unknowingly, she began to cry. “Thank you so much, doctor.”

“He’s a fighter, your husband. Right now, he’s in a coma. I would think a week or more would take for him to wake up.”

“Thank you, doctor.” Ryuki wiped her tears.

“He’ll be supervised, don’t you worry. Take care, Mrs. Kim. You’re very lucky and don’t you forget that.”

Just as the doctor was about to walk away, San pulled his hand. “Doctor, thank you for saving my father,” she said.

The doctor smiled. “Your father is strong, my dear. I know one day, you’ll have his strength. Take care of your mother, eh?”

“Yes, sir!” San gave him a salute.

The doctor laughed and did the same gesture. “Grow well, little girl.” And he left.

Ryuki and San entered the room Jongdae was in. His head was wrapped and he was on oxygen support. His left leg and right arm were bound. His face was clear of blood but scars still remained. Nevertheless, Ryuki was more than thankful to have her husband alive.

“Jongdae?” She held his left hand. She was crying again. “You don’t need to fight too hard. If you want to let go, it’s okay. If it hurts you more to live, then go. It’s alright. I’ll be okay with San and our new baby. It’ll be okay, Jongdae.” She kissed his hand as tears ran down from her cheeks to his arm.

San hugged Ryuki from the back. “Papa will be okay, Ma.” And that comforted her.

Every day, Ryuki went to the hospital to check up on Jongdae. Every day, she prayed he would wake up but she tried to convince herself that it was okay if he didn’t. If it meant ease for him to let go, then it’s okay. She would talk to him, telling him what was happening with San and the progress of her growing baby inside of her. She would ask San to talk to him too, telling him how was school and all. San was a strong girl to always be happy for her parents.

One day, Ryuki was called by San’s teacher, Miss Park. Immediately, she went to meet to the school to find out what was happening. She spoke as if an emergency had happened to San. Ryuki got worried. Any mother would be. So she rushed there.

“I’m sorry to bother you, Mrs. Kim,” Miss Park said.

“It’s okay. What happened?”

“San has been up at the school rooftop, crying. I asked her to come to class but she wouldn’t. She wouldn’t even speak to me. I hoped that maybe you could talk to her.”

“Of course.” And they went to the rooftop.

“San?” Ryuki called out. She caught San at the corner of the rooftop, hugging her legs while rocking back and forth.

Ryuki approached her slowly. When s

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter