i..

Monstrous Prince

People all around me applauded. The king’s family, their friends, people who governed the land and the people, they all had giant smiles plastered on their faces. Of course they were fake, as was mine. But I had to smile. I am symbolic of the happiness that the king may bring to people.

Im not happy. The walls are a prison; all the king has ever been is cruel. His coldness started when he ripped my best friend away from me, Jin, apparently a ten year old can conspire to over throw a king. He must realise he is so weak if he thinks it’s possible.

Of course, the grins start to fade into light smiles, and after a minute of clapping, the switch to grimaces. Right on time.

“Please, do continue.” The large wooden doors burst open, he snarls like a wolf. His eyes alive with fire and disgust.

“Nam Joon, please don’t do thi-” The king winces, as if he has just been coated in ice, when his prince interrupts him.

“It’s nice to see that you spend all the gold on that. You didn’t even go to this much trouble when I turned eighteen” That, what a lovely name he has for me. The king shakes his head and looks to his guards for assistance, he whispers something, and then the room starts to deflate.

A sickly chuckle falls from his mouth.

“Trying to cover up the fact that Im not in love with my darling bride to be? That’s right!” He raises his voice, attempted to be heard by everyone, even though the hall is nearly clear now.

“Why does it need a ‘birthday ball’ anyway? I don’t think it’s needed at all, we’ve nev-”

“My name is Areum” The king glances at me when I speak up, his eyes slightly widened. My words must have been harsh enough to get the princes attention, as he glares at me, and approaches.

“Did I ask you to speak?” His face is level with mine, only a few millimetres apart. His scent cold, like metal and soap. He raises an eyebrow, waiting for a response.

“Well, she does have a voice for a reason, I agree with her anyway. She does have a name, it would be nice if yo-”

“It’s a stupid name!” I jump back slightly when he shouts, in fear that he may lash out.

“Areum. Did you even understand the meaning of that name father? It means beauty.” He snorted, looking me up and down, and then shaking his head. My name sounded wrong coming from his mouth, in fact, it’s the first time I’ve heard him say it, and I hate it.

“She is beautiful Nam Joon, you will realise that one day. You will be glad that you are to marry such an elegant and exquisite girl.” He started laughing when he heard the word elegant, then again, I agree with him.

“Elegant? An overweight elephant would look more elegant than her!” Ouch, okay, I agreed with him, but that hurt.

“That’s enough Nam Joon, I’m sick of you treating her like that. No matter how despicable you are to her, you will marry her, and that is my decision and not yours.” The king rose and stormed out the room, his guard’s hurrying after him.

My guard waited, awkwardly. The prince glared at me like a piece of meat.

“Im sorry, bu-” He held up a hand, silencing me and shaking his head slightly. He soon stormed out, leaving me with my guard.

I heard a clatter of metal as Yoongi pulled of his helmet, sighing and muttering to himself.

“Speak up” I shook my head a laughed slightly, he was always cursing or complaing about something. But he’s the only person I trust.

“I swear to god, if that little brat speaks to you like that one more time…im finally going to be able to use the ‘special’ weapons I was given to protect you with a few years ago”

I laughed with him, and then beckon him to follow me out of the hall.

Yoongi arrived to be a guard about 4 years ago, as soon as he turned 18. I was only 15 when he was assigned to protect me, and he terrified me. But now, he feels like a suitable replacement for Jin, my best friend.

I walked into my end of the corridor, to my room, with Yoongi on my tail. I slammed my door shut only to find 4 maids in my room wincing at the sound. I sighed slightly, but smiled at them.

“My lady, we’ve been ordered to create you a gown for your ball tomorrow night” I nodded slightly.

“You’re having a ball tomorrow night?” Yoongi questioned me.

“Do you ever listen? One day, you’ll probably miss some important detail, and get us both killed” I shook my head

“Don’t worry princess, you know I’d never let you die” He bowed deeply and I rolled my eyes, I am not a princess. Yet. The maids blushed at our familiarness, which made me worry that they may tell the king. I coughed and gestured to the door.

“Off you go” I shooed him away but he didn’t budge from the tiny chair he was sitting him.

“But, my lady. What if I missed out on an important security meet regarding killer maids, because I was sleeping?” He looked wide eyed and the 4 girls as they blushed even deeper. He stood up chuckling and winked at them leaving. Yes, I felt slightly jealous.

I coughed again, and the maids all caught their breaths.

“Do you have a particular colour in mind, miss?” I didn’t, but then an idea came to me.

“Do you happen to know what the prince’s favourite colour is?” I heard her gulp.

“I believe it is black, miss.” I nodded slowly, of course it is.

“Black it is”

“But my lady, would you not like a more lively-”

“No.” She nodded, and sent the others out the room to get fabrics, whilst she draped some type of prototype fabric over me.

Hours later, I was stood in a beautiful lace and silk gown. The bodice was fitted silk, with long sleeves, and the skirt overflowed lace from a band rubies just above my hips.

Yoongi had nocked about 20 times, but this is the first time we let him in without us all flustering and screaming no.

His eyes met mine as soon as he entered, yet he looked at me head to toe and let out a long whistle. I did a little twirl, and he nodded in approval, the ghost of a smile on his lips.

“Maids, you may leave now, thank you for making our princess look stunning for the ball tomorrow” He nodded to them and they curtseyed before filtering out the room.

“But why black?” I shrugged my shoulders and sighed.

“It’s his favourite colour, I plan to aggravate him.” He nodded slightly, grinning at the thought of a frustrated prince.

A whole day had passed, and it was now the evening before my birthday, the night of my ball. My dress had been put on me, any final things changed. My hair was wavy and intricately plaited to keep the front of my hair off my face. A ruby necklace draped around my neck, and a matching cuff around my wrist. Blood red rubies, I bet he loves that colour too.

I stood on the small, curtained landing atop of the grand staircase, where I was supposed to enter with my prince and make a fancy show, but my prince hadn’t shown yet. I paced, I was alone, and told to enter the ball at 9PM, an hour after all the guests had arrived, but how could I leave without him.

2 minutes to go and the door behind me swung open, he wore a black suit, with a blood red tie. Hm, it’s almost like I planned this.

I was more impressed with myself when his jaw dropped. His eye trailed slowly up and down me, taking in every detail. However, when he shook himself out if it, his harsh gaze returned. He strode towards me and grabbed my arm, not as harsh as he usually does whenever were in front of the public. Nice. I look up at him.

“Let’s get this over with.”


WoOOOOOOO first chapter! I hope you enjoyed it! I have read SOOOOOOO many books about princes and princesses, they are 100% my fave genre of books!
Please comment and sub if you wish to read more!
Also, check out my other story featuing Jungkook!