rosemary

Starstruck
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“It's you. It's always been you.”

“We’ve just done a mini game with the main leads of SBS Wednesday-Thursday drama, ‘Wonderstruck’, Ji Changwook and Im Yoona!”

Today’s schedule is pretty packed, I would have to admit. After wrapping up with 2 hour-drama filming, Changwook oppa and I have an interview for a small portion of SBS Midnight TV Entertainment. This is the last drama interview because drama filming is coming to an end very soon—our drama will wrap up in two more weeks.

“Changwook, between your character in your previous drama, ‘Healer’ and your on-going drama, ‘Wonderstruck’, which one do you prefer the most?” The MC’s curious gaze lands on the 29 year-old actor. “Do you prefer Seo Junghoo or Min Yeonjae?”

“Well…” Changwook oppa has his eyes narrowed, seemingly in deep thought. “It’s a pretty hard choice because both characters have different personalities. In ‘Healer,’ Seo Junghoo was curt and introverted and he didn’t even mingle with other people. However, in ‘Wonderstruck’, I’m playing Min Yeonjae and he’s the complete opposite of Seo Junghoo. He’s cheerful, loving and also a total player. He goes out with loads of girls.” He breaks off to laugh.

“So out of them, which one do you prefer the most, oppa?” I pitch in expectantly. “Seo Junghoo or Min Yeonjae?”

“Well, I think…” He trails off again. “Min Yeonjae fits me more than Seo Junghoo. But don’t get me wrong, everyone. I’m not a player!”

“You don’t seem to be a player, Changwook.” The MC chuckles excitedly. “Do you think your co-star is a player?”

“He can be one at times.” Changwook oppa hits me on my shoulder the moment I give my honest comment. I glance at him with my tongue stick out. “That’s the truth, oppa! I’d sometimes see you talk with female staffs a lot than me!”

“Are you jealous, Yoona?” He eyes me naughtily.

I snort. “How can I not be jealous? I’m your co-star! You should be focusing your utmost attention on me!”

“All right, then. From now on, I’ll be fully focusing on you,” he answers immediately, laughing. “Don’t get mad at me anymore, okay?”

“I’m not mad at you, oppa,” I say. “I was just stating my honest opinion.”

“You two seem to be very close,” the MC analyzes quite meticulously, to my surprise. I almost forgot that we were currently filming an interview!

“Yes, we are pretty close.” He turns to me. “Right, Yoona?”

“Well, we are,” I say. “Changwook oppa is nice man. He looks after me very well as if he were my real older brother.”

“That’s what men are supposed to do,” he responds smugly, to which earning a smack in the chest from me.

“Perhaps that led to you two tugging at viewers’ heartstrings?” he asks. “Judging by the rating and their comments, they are fond of your chemistry in the drama. It seemed very real and genuine.”

“Perhaps?” I smile heartily. “I can’t deny that, though. Changwook oppa and I worked very hard to show viewers the best chemistry we had.”

He nods in agreement. “We spent a lot of time together and I guess that led us to having perfect chemistry. I’m very glad viewers like us.”

The MC skims through his cue card. “Next question, we’ll talk about the numerous kiss scenes you two had in the drama.”

“I wasn’t expecting this question.” Changwook oppa bursts into big laughter. “It just feels awkward, doesn’t it?”

“It is, oppa.” I pucker my lips. I mean, wouldn’t it be so awkward to discuss about kiss scene when both of us are here? It’s just ridiculous and embarrassing!

“Still, viewers are interested in this kind of question,” says the MC, stifling a laugh. “Now tell us how you two did to have amazing kiss scenes? Was it filmed in just one take?”

“Let Changwook oppa answer this question.” I squirm in embarrassment, pointing my finger to the older man. “I’m embarrassed to answer it.”

“Why would you ask me, Yoona?” He giggles, but answers it anyway. “It’s true that all the kiss scenes we had in the drama were all take in one take, but I don’t think they were amazing. If you watch it attentively, you’d see that we were very awkward.”

“Is it true, Yoona?” The MC inquires me. “That you two were very awkward during filming the kiss scenes?”

“Well…” I have no idea why he said that we were very awkward. I mean, of course there were some part where we were rather awkward, but I would have to say it all went missing once we’ve used to it. He doesn’t want to disclose the MC too much information, I suppose?

“We were very awkward,” I say after a few moments of thoughts. I guess I just have to follow his pace. There must be reasons why he said in that way, right?

“The kiss scenes were filmed very prettily, though,” Changwook oppa adds, and I simply nod in agreement. “I’m very happy if viewers love them.”

“Okay, we’re going to move to a rather sensitive topic.”

I feel a pang of nervousness in the pit of my stomach. I’m just hoping the questions that will be asked, would not be that uncomfortable.

Changwook oppa seems interested. “What is it?” 

“This question is for Changwook.” Okay, that’s really great! I heave a sigh of relief. “In ‘Wonderstruck’, in the middle of the series, you eventually became Yoona’s boyfriend after going through lots of boundaries.”

“Yes, that’s true.”

“The question is, if you see Yoona in a different light—as a woman, maybe—would you like to be her boyfriend as well?”

“What question is that?” I couldn’t help guffawing. It’s just hilarious that this kind of strange question would pop out.

Changwook oppa, on the other hand, leans against the seat as he crosses his hands over his chest. “That’s a rather hard question,” he says, his eyes on me thoughtfully. “To see Yoona as a woman than an actress is quite hard, to be completely honest.”

It’s pretty uncomfortable to be under his prying gaze. He’s staring at me deeply as he’s immersed in deep thought on the question. “You don’t like me, do you, oppa?” I roll my eyes.

“Do you like Yoona, Changwook?” the MC repeats the question I just asked him.

“I do like Yoona,” and it’s enough to surprise me.

The MC claps in shock. “Really?”

“Oppa, are you joking right now?” Seriously, it’s hard to read his expression. I don’t know whether it was a joke or a genuine confession. “You are, right?”

“Of course that was a joke!” he bursts out within a moment. “Well, who on earth wouldn’t like Yoona? She’s beautiful, talented and thoughtful. Any guys would like her as much as I like her.”

That was close, I tell myself.

Letting out another sigh of relief, I steal a surreptitious glance at my co-star.

He couldn’t possibly lie about what he said just now, could he?

     

On the way to my condo after the interview ended, I receive a KakaoTalk text from Jongdae. Right now, he’s waiting for me at the parking lot. I am shocked, to be honest, because we didn’t plan on meeting today.

I suppose he’s got something important to inform me?

After I hop off from the car and wait until Heechul oppa drives out of the parking lot, I immediately look for Jongdae’s car.

I know how his car looks like. I have been in his for a few times, I think.

Okay, there he is!

He parks his car at the row B, which is quite far away from the elevator area, not to draw suspicion.

“Hey,” I greet him after I lock the door closed. “What’s the matter, Jongdae? We didn’t plan on meeting today, did we?”

He kicks off with a rather lively chuckle. “I know we didn’t, but I have something for you.”

He has something for me? I furrow a keen eyebrow. “What is it that you have for me?” I ask, sounding rather expectant.

He flashes a big beam before his right hand reaches for something at the back seat. I look up to see what he’s got back there, but to no avail. It’s dark and I cannot see anything.

“Here,” he says, and a bouquet of fresh baby’s breath is already in my grip.

I’m gobsmacked, seriously. “Baby’s breath? Are you giving this for me?”

“Yes.” He nods, smiling brightly. “Do you like it, noona?”

“Of course I like it.” I smell the flowers and of course they give off such exquisite scent.  “But may I know why you gave this?

“You know,” he starts, suddenly extending his arm to reach my hand. He squeezes mine into his firm grip. “I can’t be next to you during your birthday, so I’m giving it ahead of time. A week earlier, to be exact.”

“Oh, really?” My voice somehow hits a low note. I’m happy that he remembers when my birthday is, but to know that he’s not going to be next to me during one of the happiest days in my life breaks my heart to pieces.

Glumly, I ask him, “Where are you going?”

“Japan,” he says and turns to me apologetically. “Sorry.”

“It’s okay. I know how busy you are lately.” Although I’m forcing myself not to look like I’m such a pathetic girlfriend, I guess it’s just obvious.

“We can celebrate it once you return,” I say with a strained smile. “How long are you going to stay in Japan?”

“Two days.” Okay, that’s pretty bearable. We can simply celebrate my birthday once he returns to Seoul—of course when he’s not busy.

“Yes, you right, noona,” he answers. “Let’s celebrate your birthday once I return.”

I nod, grinning in satisfaction. “By the way, how do you know I like baby’s breath?” I stare at the flowers and him back and forth.

He falls silent all of a sudden, to which it makes me confused. Why is he not saying anything? Did I just blurt something sensitive—

I look down. “Okay, I get it.” The smile slowly disappears from my face. “You knew it through that, didn’t you?”

“I’m sorry,” he blurts out. “I didn’t mean to… uhm, you know…” He is at loss of words,

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter