Floor I

Morpheus.
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

With a jerk, the elevator begins to move. Time is inessential here, the flow of all things curved ever so slightly, tilting the Earth's axis just enough to leave Daehyun suspended somewhere between limbo and infinity. There's a single fluorescent light in the vicinity, warm rays casting a jaundiced glow over his translucent complexion with nicotine-stained fingers scratching at the area around his temples. He needs a smoke, anything to calm his racing heart. He wants to scream, to tell someone to stop the elevator, that he wants to get off, wants to go home. But he knows that there's no one around to listen to his cries, that he doesn't know where he came from, where his home is.

 

The elevator stops with a soft thud echoing down the narrow corridors beneath. According to the numbers that flash before his eyes, he's reached the first floor. The doors open to darkness and Daehyun decides not to get out, that he's not ready to face whatever it is that's waiting for him. He's retreated to the far left corner of the elevator, focusing his attention on finding his reflection in the mirror. Maybe if he just looks long enough some glimmer of recognition will register and he'll find the bit of himself that he's searching for, that he knows is there, even if his eyes tell him otherwise. When nothing materializes, he gives up and looks away, finding the doors still open, the stagnant air still waiting for him to exit. Apparently, the doors aren't closing until he gets off, that he has no option but to brave the storm of uncertainty and fear alone.

 

Youngjae's voice has stopped filtering through the speakers and a symphony of silence waltzes on through the black surroundings. For the life of him, Daehyun can't say who Youngjae is, can't place a face or a story, only the voice remaining to serve as a connection to the name. However, for whatever reason, Daehyun knew that lullaby, felt its chords in every inch of his being and now that it no longer plays, he feels a vast emptiness coming to rest inside his chest.

 

He remains standing still, unsure of the next move to make, but knowing that, upon leaving the elevator, everything will change. Daehyun thinks he hears the lullaby playing again somewhere in the distance, but questions if its not only on repeat, running again and again through his mind. It grows louder, reaching a fever pitch and convincing Daehyun to take his first step out into the darkness that awaits him.

 

Once both his feet hit the solid ground, the doors close and the elevator begins its lonely trek once more. He waits for his eyes to adjust to the darkness before he walks, taking cautious steps but finding no obstacles set in his way. Daehyun holds his hand up an inch in front of his face, but sees nothing. This is a kind of darkness that can never be experienced on the Earth. With the help of light pollution and smog, the night sky no longer carries the hue it once did. Through the centuries, the black ink of midnight has gradually dried, leaving behind a gray shadow in the place of its depth.

 

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter