Chapter 1

Piano Man

Smile.

Then he smiled.

Laugh.

Then he laughed.

Speak.

“Thank you for visiting. Feel free to come again.”

Repeat.

Andy loved, yet at the same time, hated his job. The country tunes in the background didn’t make it any better.

Why did he love it?

Simple. It was easy. All he had to do was pretend he cared about middle-aged people's relationships. Then nod with a smile. Maybe even throw in a little laugh.

Why did he hate it then?

It at the same time. It was mind numbing to have to listen to the same people. They came every single week and always complained about how they wished they could have more action in their lives. Andy couldn't say he wasn't the same though. He also wanted something exciting, but at least he didn't go to bartenders and force them to listen. They were supposed to make drinks, not be therapists!

But in the end he still stayed here because he needed the cash. Maybe one day, someone exciting would come in.

The bar he worked in wasn’t very extravagant. It was actually completely ordinary, with burgundy walls and a dark brown bar; there wasn’t much to brag about – except their stage. They had a little stage that barely had room for four people. However, it was still a stage with good instruments.

Once Andy heard his boss, Kangta tell him he could take a break, Andy dashed over to the break room.

“Nothing happens here,” Andy hissed at his best friend, Minwoo, as he entered the room. He loosened his bow tie and literally threw himself on to a chair.

Minwoo was lazily sitting on a chair opposite of Andy, combing his red hair back.

“You say that every day, sweetheart. Go and ditch work if you want exciting!” Minwoo laughed.

Andy scoffed at Minwoo’s remark. Minwoo had always been playful and had never followed the rules. He would continuously encourage Andy to do the opposite of what they were supposed to.

That was exactly how they had met. Andy was casually looking out his window at school. He had been a sixth grader at the time. It had been quite the shock for young Andy when he suddenly saw an eighth grader hanging from a tree right outside of his window, several meters up in the air. He was obviously skipping school and breaking the rules. Andy got so shocked after seeing the boy that he screamed and fainted. Minwoo got surprised after hearing the ear-piercing shriek and fell down. They met at the hospital and had been inseparable since then. It was a strange meeting, but neither of them had regretted it, even if it hurt like heck.

“Yeah right. I follow the rules, unlike you!” Andy laughed. He had always been the “good boy” out of the two. Well, more like the good boy in front of teachers and bosses, and the bad boy around everyone else.

“Keep telling yourself that,” the older snickered. He stood up to ruffle the younger’s black hair. "You know you're worse than me!"

Andy giggled as Minwoo walked out. It was probably his shift, but Andy wasn’t even sure anymore. He had stopped following their shift plan ages ago.

Since there was no one else in the room, Andy decided to spend the rest of his break playing on his phone, waiting for the hours to go by. It was soon midnight, but the bar wouldn’t close for another three hours, so there was nothing better to do.

“What’s up?" a voice echoed as Andy looked up from his screen.

It was Tony An, another co-worker who was unsuccessfully trying to woo Andy.

“What do you want, Tony?”

Andy shot up the second he saw Tony starting to wiggle his eyebrows (seductively?).

Thanks, but no thanks.

He quickly ran out of the break room, hoping that he wouldn’t bump into Tony after that awkward meeting.

 “Why are you here?” Minwoo asked when Andy walked into the bar. He raised an eyebrow in suspicion as Andy shooed Minwoo away.

“Haha, very funny,” Andy sarcastically retorted. “Move over, I want to serve too.”

They bar was busier than what it had been before Andy took his break. He was probably out for at least half an hour. The country tunes had been replaced with loud, yet distant voices. The instruments were untouched.

“It’s a shame no one’s playing right now,” Minwoo whispered to Andy while cleaning some glasses.

Even though Minwoo was chatting with Andy, his eyes were on two young men. Andy spared them a glance, but didn’t really mind them. They were tall and one of them looked very classy in a snug suit while the other was wearing a casual pullover.

Andy turned away for a moment to get some ice for a drink when he heard someone cough into the microphone. He looked over at the little stage they had, and saw the tall man in a suit sitting by the piano. He carefully tapped on the piano as the bar quieted down. Andy couldn’t help but feel embarrassed when the man blew off the dust that was lying on the keys. Pretty much everyone who played at the bar played the guitar. The piano was rarely touched.

“I’m Junjin, and I’ll be playing my own rendition of Swan Lake’s main theme. It’s called T.O.P,” the man said with a big smile, sitting down by the piano.

Andy’s eyes widened. It was hard to imagine a sophisticated young man in a suit was named something as unusual as “Junjin”.

Andy carefully observed the man while he got ready to play. He was expecting a easygoing ballad of some sort, and that’s what he got at the start. Already tired of the usual swan lake song, he turned around, but just then, the song got slightly different. He turned back to the pianist and he was playing something unique. It was powerful and very distinctive. But what really intrigued Andy was when he got eye contact with Junjin, the latter winked at him with a smirk.

Their eyes were on each other the whole performance and if it wasn’t for Minwoo hitting Andy’s shoulder, he would have never noticed the song was finished.

Everyone in the bar started clapping and there were customers who even stood up and whistled. The man by the piano wore a huge grin as he appreciated the attention he was getting.

“Man, what’s with you totally ogling mister piano man over there?”

Andy hit Minwoo playfully and swore with a grin, but the second Minwoo mouthed, “he’s heading this way”, Andy quickly shut up and gracefully turned towards Junjin. The taller one’s dark hair was swept to the side and there was a trace of mischievousness in his brown eyes.

“Hey. Could I have some water, bartender?” the pianist asked with a seductive wink. Once he got his water, he bit his lip and thanked Andy.

Oh yes, just my type, Andy thought as he traced the taller one’s suit.

“The name’s Andy. And you are, piano man?”

The man laughed as he softly pushed Andy’s hand away, making the smaller pout.

“Well, I just said it up on stage, but the name’s Junjin,” Junjin answered teasingly.

Andy felt his cheeks redden in embarrassment. He had heard his name, but for some stupid reason still asked for it. He decided to conceal his embarrassment with a small chuckle.

“You know, Jinnie, you would look great without this suit on,” Andy smiled innocently, saying something not so innocent. His fingers were back on Junjin’s dark suit.

“You know, you’re pretty cute, but how about another time, babe?” Junjin chuckled as he jotted down a number on a piece of paper and threw it towards a dumbfounded Andy.

“Call me,” the pianist mouthed, walking towards his friend. Andy secretly wished that they could’ve talked a little bit to a lot longer, but it didn’t seem like that was happening any time soon. His mouth was an “o”, but he quickly regained his smirk and laughed back, a little bit too late.

“Oh, you are so going to be mine.” 

 

~~~~~~

A/N:

I'm sorry that this chapter is so short, I just really wanted to end it here. sorrynotsorry

Anyways, I hope you liked this chapter. I'll hopefully update it before March (haha, let's just hope I'm still alive after seeing Shinhwa's comeback <.<)