a doll's end.

A Doll's Dream

 

Zhoumi was so amazed at how the puppets moved so fluidly, as if they weren’t attached to strings that controlled their every move. He noticed Eeteuk’s solemn expression, which was weird since everyone has been laughing so much already.

“Hyung, is everything okay?” Zhoumi asked, while eating crepe by the river.

“Yeah. It’s just that… do you know what a doll dreams of?”

“A… doll’s dream?” Eeteuk nodded and diverted his gaze to Zhoumi.

“A doll dreams of freedom. It dreams of being free from the strings that control it but when the strings are cut and the doll is left without its master, it ceases to exist. It becomes just a piece of ornament, soon to be forgotten whether it brought happiness to its master or not.”

Eeteuk embraced Zhoumi, confusing the younger man. “Zhoumi, sooner or later you will have your own freedom. This will be the last lesson I’ll be teaching you.”

“Hyung… what are you talking about? You’re scaring me.” He wanted to at least free himself from Eeteuk’s embraced not because he didn’t like it but he wanted to see Eeteuk. “I’m already free aren’t I?”

“Amongst the crowd, amongst everyone in this world are living dolls, you know that right?”

Zhoumi nodded. “Dolls are built for a certain purpose, over time, technology has made more innovations that there are already a few dolls that look and act like humans but… like the old models they ‘live’ as they were programmed. The other teachers have already told me this, and making Dolls are my parents job. If this is your last lesson then you’ve disappointed me.” Zhoumi pouted at the end.

Eeteuk laughed. Then as if someone shot a gun, the stillness of the night and Eeteuk’s laughter broke. Zhoumi saw a black car parked not far away, he frantically searched Eeteuk’s body for any gun wounds but there weren’t any still, Eeteuk staggered and fell on his knees.

“Oh man, and I thought I asked for more time.” He muttered, while one hand clutched tightly to his chest.

“What are you talking about?” Zhoumi asked, panic in his eyes.

“This is my final lesson to you, Zhoumi.” And Eeteuk struggles to gain control of his body. “Love, Happiness, Betrayal, Hurt, Death. Dolls experience them and are afraid of them just like humans do. We are not mere machines that don’t feel, I should know that because falling in love with you was never part of my programming.”

“What are you…”

“I’m sorry. It’s my fault for crossing the line still, I’m so happy that I existed for you… mas… ter.” And Eeteuk’s systems shut down, making him limp in Zhoumi’s arms.

*~*~*~*~*

Five years passed. Five years since he finally had his freedom. Five years since he last held Eeteuk in his arms. Zhoumi has become a very successful man, like his parents. He didn’t like the idea of inheriting the company but he wanted to make a few changes with regards to the treatment with the Dolls that he decided to give politics a chance. He became the youngest politician and succeeded in every law he created.

“Senator, one last question and I hope I’m not pressing on anything.” The reporter said, during one of his interviews. Zhoumi smiled openly as he gave his permission. “People have been wondering if the doll you always carry with you hold a sentimental value since it is not new to us that you practically bring it with you where ever you go.”

Zhoumi pets the small doll sitting idly on the couch’s arm. “This doll is very important to me, I guess it keeps me attached and glued on the ground, reminding me of my purpose.”

Zhoumi returned to his home and placed the doll carefully on its customized chair.

“Eeteuk, I finally have my freedom. I can walk the streets, sit at the café and laugh with others without sneaking out of my house,” He says as he caressed the doll’s cheek. The little doll he personally created as Eeteuk’s replica after his parents destroyed Eeteuk’s chip and data.

“And yet… freedom feels so empty without you to share it with.”

-END-