Matching 16/02/13

Ravi/Hyuk OneShots

Matching

Word: 1,4k

Note: For Ravi's 2016 birthday.




“Surprise!”

Wonsik stands at the doorway and stares wide-eyed at the small group of people, who are all his friends and acquaintances cheering and clapping for him.

“Happy Birthday”

“Happy birthday Wonsik”

“Happy birthday Sik-ie”

“Thank you,” Wonsik makes his way into the room grinning widely, and thanking one after another. Wow he never would have guessed Hyuk would throw a surprised birthday party for him. The original plan, or so he thought, was to watch movies on Saturday, eat take-outs while wearing comfy PJs. His birthday this year lands on a Monday; Hyuk-ie told him he wanted to meet up on Saturday.

“Now I know why you didn’t want to meet up on Sunday.” He taps Hyuk on the shoulder with a false accusing tone. Sunday is Valentine’s Day. He thought Hyuk didn’t want to spend that day together. For Wonsik himself, he preferred Sunday because he had work on Saturday. He went straight to here after work.

Hyuk just laughs loudly in response. He looks mighty proud that he manages to surprise Wonsik.

“Come see your cake.” He puts a hand around Wonsik’s arm and steers him to the table.

“Are you sure you two are not dating?” Hakyeon asks him after Wonsik changed into his PJ. His PJ which Hyuk had bought as a joke for his last birthday, 2 months late, to match Hyuk’s own. It’s a white top with a yellow rubber ducky image in the middle, blue long sleeves, and blue bottoms to go with the outfit.

Wonsik has initially scoffed at the gift, knowing full well the younger man was teasing him. He ended up wearing it anyway. Hey, it’s PJ and it fits. This is not the first time Hakyeon, or another friend has asked him that question. Wonsik just shrugs and pats his PJ and then his . He skips to the cake table to get himself a serving. Knowing who his friends are, if he waits too long, there will be no more cake left for the birthday person himself.

“Hey looking good,” Hongbin shouts.

Wonsik automatically smiles in response, and then realizes the reason for Hongbin’s huge smirk. Hyuk is wearing the same ducky PJ outfit. The younger man is eating something, and he pauses as he spots Wonsik looking at him. He gives Wonsik a quick look up and down, and goes back to eating his food cheerfully.

Wonsik just shrugs his shoulder carefree and takes a slice of his cake. It’s never a big deal that people tease Hyuk and him about their supposed relationship. They have late night phone calls, and once awhile morning calls to make sure Wonsik gets up on time for very important meetings. They have matching PJs. Hyuk has no qualm about referring to him as his date if people ask.

The both of them don’t have much luck with dating. Hyuk points to Wonsik’s failure due to his unrealistic expectations for his ideal person. While Wonsik knows for sure many people are turned off by Hyuk’s too outspoken mouth. His words can be very curt. Wonsik should know since he’s often at the receiving end of it during their phone calls.

Sometimes when they are both whiny enough about having no dates, he feels that there’s enough of a spark between the two of them. If they explore that spark, perhaps it will lead to something more. They do never though. It’s as if there’s a silent agreement between the both of them to ignore it.

Friendship is important and precious to hold onto. How many couples have Wonsik known that have broken up, or naturally drifted apart as people grow older, and are no longer compatible with each other. On the other hand, there are many friendships which are still intact, and are still there to support each other through highs and lows.

People who settle because they have a fear of being lonely, eventually those relationships don’t work out so great either. It gets even more complicated when both sides of the families are involved, or have become in-laws. 

He joins Hyuk on the couch as people start playing games. It does make a funny scene having the two of them wearing the same matching duck PJ sitting side by side. They receive more teasing coming their ways. He just smiles good-naturally, while Hyuk has this iron wall where he blocks out any kind of teasing from entering his ears.

-------

“Thank you for the party,” Wonsik conveys his gratitude once again, as he puts away leftover unused paper plates and cups.

Hyuk grins, scrunching up his cheeks and gives his eyes crescent shapes. “I have help.” Hyuk has a very youthful smile, even as he ages and matures. His entire face lights up when he smiles. It gives him a very friendly and innocent image. The last part is trap.

“I better be going now.”

He was going to go grab his jacket but stops, when he spots what looks to be disappointment on Hyuk’s face. The expression left as quickly as it came. By the time Wonsik finished blinking; Hyuk’s face is back to his normal cheerful, with a hint of cockiness self.     

“What? What is it?” It feels morbid to ask this question, but part of Wonsik is dying to know. He’s dying to hear directly from Hyuk’s lips, that it’s more fun if Wonsik sleeps over.

Hyuk gulps and his adam ’s apple moves up and down. It’s very rare to see the younger man displays any kind of nervousness, when there are just the two of them together. Wonsik may be one or two years older, but Hyuk can be very haughty. He also has this habit of speaking like an old man, using old idioms and long winding words. The nervousness too disappears just as quickly. Hyuk gives him another youthful big grin.

“I thought you would want to stay over. It’s almost midnight now.” The rest of their friends have already gone home long ago. Wonsik is still here because he and Hyuk watched the promised movie together.

“If you want,” Wonsik directs the conversation to Hyuk. He himself wants to, but he wants to hear it from Hyuk’s mouth. He’s feeling a tad gleeful about this situation. He may or not may not be paying for it later from Hyuk’s blunt words. Who knows what the younger man will say to hide his embarrassment?

“What do you mean if I want? It’s if you want.” Hyuk pushes the question back to him. He presses his lips together to stop himself from smiling.

Wonsik starts to smile too. “You sure? It’s Valentine’s Day tomorrow.”

Hyuk loses his smile right away, and before he can recover, Wonsik has already caught that expression. “You have a date?”

“Nope,” Wonsik answers without hesitation. He enjoys seeing Hyuk being embarrassment, not feeling hurt. “I mean I don’t want to get in your way tomorrow in case you have a plan.”

Hyuk just scoffs and maybe breathes a tiny sigh of relief. “Nah man. I’m just stuck with you tomorrow.”

“Want to go downtown tomorrow?” Wonsik steers the conversation to something else more safe.

It works and Hyuk’s face lights up right away like beautiful holiday lights. “Sure. It’s been so long since we hang out.”

They put on another movie, and sits side by side to watch it together. It’s a cheerful mood again, and the tiny hint of possible awkwardness has completely disappeared.

An hour later, Wonsik can only open half of his eyes. His brain is too tired for the movie to finish. He just remembered that he even worked today too. No that was yesterday, it’s past midnight now.

Hyuk is already half asleep. His body is taking on the shrimp position, as he’s burrowing himself under a blanket on the floor, next to the couch.

“I thought you don’t want to spend Valentine’s Day together.” Wonsik grumbles to Hyuk and the dark living room, sans the light still coming from the TV.

 Hyuk’s body stays unmoving and unresponsive, so Wonsik continues rambling on.

“You told me you don’t want to hang out on Sunday for my birthday.” He gripes. He doesn’t know why his brain chooses this time of the night to complain, when he’s so sleepy, and Hyuk doesn’t have the energy for smart comebacks. Okay maybe the last part is the reason why.

Hyuk’s body actually shifts and it shocks Wonsik out of his revelry. The younger man doesn’t look up or moves his head, but he mumbles something almost incoherently.

“Not-not me. Others. Sun-day~”

“Okay, okay.” Wonsik leans down slowly on the couch. He doesn’t trust his sleepy self from crashing down and colliding into poor Hyuk’s ribs and bones. He gently pats the other man’s head. “Good night. We’ll have fun tomorrow.”

“Um-m”