Chapter 4

My Valentine

February 13, 2015 – 2:33 pm
 

“We’re in the final stages of our landing. We’ll arrive at Changgi Airport in a few moments. Please fasten your seatbelts. It was a pleasure cruising the skies with you. Thank you for choosing Korean Air and we hope you enjoy Singapore.”

Jiyong woke up to the message from the pilot. The six-hour flight breezed through like a dream. He woke up smiling after dreaming about how he and Dara spent Valentines day last year. It feels like it just happened yesterday. He stretched his arms and looked at the seat beside him only to be disappointed when he saw that it was empty.

 

He had gotten used to Dara sitting beside him during long flights. Somehow, the cabin had gotten colder when he realized that his dream was merely a memory and his reality was catching up to him. He sighed in defeat and just focused on the task at hand.

Get off the plane. Go straight to Dara.

Just then, his stomach grumbled. Okay, new plan. Get off the plane. Eat. Go straight to Dara. He realized that his last meal was dinner last night and his empty stomach did not appreciate the scotch earlier this morning.

Jiyong was the first one out of the plane when they opened the doors. He was hungry as hell and he didn’t want to be spotted at the airport. He went to the nearest restaurant and contemplated his next steps. He didn’t know where Dara was at the moment. He needs to zero in on her first. He his phone to check his IG to know Dara’s whereabouts. He was about to tap the app when three voice messages registered on his phone; all of which were from Seungri.

“Hyung! Check Instagram. Now!”


“Hyung! Are you in Singapore right now? Don’t leave the airport! Also, check Instagram. It’s really important.”


“Hyung, get out of Singapore now!”

What is this kid on about? Why do I need to leave Singapore and what’s on Instagram? Jiyong checks his Instagram feed and lo and behold, there it was: Dara’s post on Instagram.

 

It read “Goodbye Singapore Hello Philippines!!!” with a picture of Dara entering the airport.

 

“WHAT?!” Jiyong said out loud. “Damn it!”
 

When he got over the initial shock from this new development, his brain took over. It was posted an hour ago. That means, there’s a chance that she’s still here. Good thing he didn’t leave the airport just yet. He took one more bite of his meal and made a run for the shuttle leaving for the departure area. As soon as the shuttle stopped, he made a dash to the flight board to see if the flight to Manila already left. His heart stopped when he saw that the only flight to Manila on the board was delayed.

There’s still time he thought to himself. He went straight to the ticketing booth to get a ticket but the available tickets for the flight were already on hold because it was near departure time.

“It’s delayed. I can still make it. Please, miss. I just need to get on that flight.” Jiyong begged. It looked like the attendant was not easy to sway.  
 

Jiyong had to think on his feet. He needs to get those tickets even if his life depended on it. He slowly covered his face and started the waterworks. The attendant gave him a confused look.

 

“Sir, are you okay? I’m really sorry but I can’t sell you the tickets.” The attendant said looking worried.

 

Jiyong looked up. “No, it’s okay. I get it. It’s part of your policy. Who am I to break it? But you see, I just need to get to my wife. My wife is on that flight. I need to get her back and if she leaves, I don’t think that I’ll ever see her again.”

The attendant looked even more worried. Jiyong looked at her then covered his face to fake-cry again. Please buy the story, please buy the story he chanted in his head.

 

“I’m so sorry, sir. I didn’t know. Here, have some tissues.” The attendant said as she offered tissues to the crying Jiyong.
 

“I just want her to know that she’s the only woman for me and that I’ll do anything to make her stay. But, I guess, that’s not going to happen today. Sorry to have bothered you.” Jiyong said as he started to gather his bag and walk away slowly; ever so slowly hoping that the story would touch the attendant’s heart.

“Sir!” Jiyong was five steps away from the counter when the attendant called him back.

 

Jiyong’s face broke into a smile upon hearing it. He changed back into his sulky mode before facing the attendant, staying in character.

“Yes?” Jiyong sniffed for good measure; hoping it could add to the pitiful image that he was already giving off.

“I can’t let you get the ticket.” The attendant said. Jiyong’s heart sank. Damn it, it didn’t work. My acting skills must already be rusty he thought.

 

“But, I can let you in.” The attendant added.

“Pardon?” Jiyong’s eyes were full of hope. Is she saying what I think she’s saying? He thought.

 

“I can let you get inside so you can see your wife.” She said as she unlatched the barricade. “Go get her, sir.” She motioned to the path to the departure gates.

“Thank you!” Jiyong ran to the attendant and hugged her before he made a run for the gates. He can’t believe that the story worked. He needs to call his mom later and thank her for all the acting lessons she made him go to when he was still a kid. He felt sorry that he had to lie to the innocent attendant but he had no choice. There was no time left.

He felt his legs burn as he ran as hard as he could. He was so close to seeing Dara again. He looked left and right trying to look for the gate to Dara’s flight. It took him around 3 minutes to see the gate number on the very end of the hall. Great he thought. He can still see the airplane just outside. He kept on running. He can still make it; he said to himself. He didn’t know what he would say to her exactly when they meet but all he knows is that he wants to see her. He’ll know what to say when he sees her. He was sure of it.

 

He ran straight to the gate  . . .

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

. . . only to be stopped by security.

 

“Sir, the plane is already leaving. The gate closed five minutes ago.”

True enough, the pathway from the gate to the plane was already retreating back to its original place and the staff on the ground were already on their way back. He can’t believe it. He lost strength in his knees and crashed on the floor. He tried to think of a way to stop the plane but his mind still can’t wrap itself around the fact that he missed her by 5 minutes. He missed his chance by 5 minutes.