Baby Steps

Goodbye, Hello

"She said that? As in she's not sure if she still has feelings for Taeyeon?"

Sunny and Jessica nodded their heads to Sooyoung's question as they turned to look at Taeyeon who had a blank expression.

"She also asked about what happened to Taeyeon after she left for the States. Me and Sica briefly told her about what we knew but we didn't tell her about the accident or the blackmailing by Nicky." Sunny explained further.

"We didn't want to overwhelm her with too much info. Furthermore, we feel that it's better for Taeyeon to explain to her about the blackmailing and the accident herself." Jessica added on to Sunny's story. "But from our observation, we can guarantee that Tiff still has a soft spot for Taeyeon."

"Even though Fany-unnie is not sure about the love part, at least we're sure that she doesn't hate my Unnie. She even said that Unnie is precious." Hyoyeon's remarks caused the girls to nod their heads at the same time.

After Sunny and Jessica returned to Japan last night, the girls decided to meet up at their favourite pub after work. Since it was the weekend, they've been spending the last 2hrs, listening to everything that Sunny and Jessica had to tell them. Sooyoung, Yuri and Hyoyeon were busy asking a lot of questions to the two girls about their trip to Japan, especially the times where they went out with Tiffany. Everyone else was super excited to find out more except for Taeyeon.

Sitting at the corner, Taeyeon continued to listen to the conversation as Sunny and Jessica updated everyone about the happenings. Once in a while, she would smile when Tiffany's name was mentioned and also when they talked about what Tiffany did while they were there.

"Yah, Kim Taeyeon. Are you going to just sit there and smile by yourself while we're busy trying to find out more information about Fany?" Sooyoung folded her arms and glared at her bestfriend. "Don't you have any question to ask them?"

"Is she coping well by herself?" Taeyeon asked as Jessica and Sunny nodded their heads. "That's good. That's all I need to know."

Everyone looked at Taeyeon who was smiling by herself and kept nodding her head for no particular reason.

"That's it?" Yuri asked as she looked at Taeyeon who had a blank expression.

"Wae? What else do you expect me to ask?" Taeyeon was totally clueless at the moment.

"Aigoo, my pabo Unnie. Aren't you curious about anything? You've not met or seen her for almost 4yrs. Is that all you're going to ask?" Hyoyeon herself was getting annoyed with her sister's reaction.

"Like you said, I've not seen her for almost 4yrs. The most important thing to me right now, is to know that she's doing well by herself. As long as she's healthy and coping well, it's a relief to me. At least she's not like me. Shutting myself up from everyone." Taeyeon explained as she bite her lips.

"That's all in the past, Taengoo. From now on, it's time to move forward. By the way, do you have any plans on what to do next?" Sooyoung asked and the girls were surprised when they saw the change in Taeyeon's facial expression.

"I do. Actually, I've already started my plan today." Taeyeon smirked and it was the rest of the girls' turn to be clueless.

************************

(Somewhere in Japan, a few hours ago)

"Hey, Tiff. You've got a delivery today. It's on your desk." Bora smiled at Tiffany who had just returned from a meeting outside.

"Delivery? I don't remember ordering anything. Furthermore, it's almost time to knock out from work." Tiffany answered with a frown as she walked to her office with Bora following her from behind.

The moment Tiffany pushed open the door, she was shocked when she saw a big white teddy bear plush toy, sitting on her chair.

"Oh my god!! When did that arrive?" Tiffany asked as she pointed to the big plush toy. "It's so..... cute."

Tiffany giggled as she walked up to the bear and hugged it. Looking around, she frowned when she couldn't find anything attached to the bear to indicate who was the sender. Tiffany turned to look at Bora who was giggling by herself as she pointed her finger at her colleague aka good friend.

"I didn't know you would act like a small girl when you saw a plush toy, Tiff. And looking at your expression, I know what is on your mind. It's not me who sent it to you." Bora quickly explained herself as Tiffany pouted.

"If it's not you, then who? Did you saw who sent it over?" Tiffany asked as she kept looking at the bear.

"It was just a normal delivery boy. He sent it to my table and asked me to give it to a Ms Tiffany Hwang Miyoung. I had so much difficulty trying to carry that bear into your office. It's almost as big as me." Bora complained as Tiffany just smiled at her.

"Wait... Did you say that the delivery boy mentioned my full name? As in with the Hwang Miyoung?" Tiffany asked as Bora nodded her head. "No one in Japan knew my Korean name except for you and Nicole."

"So you are saying that it is someone from Korea? I know it's not Nicole because that girl won't bother buying us these kind of stuff." Bora said as she placed a finger on her chin, deep in thoughts. "Maybe it's Nicky. You knew him while studying in Korea, right?"

"I don't think so. He tried to buy me one before but I told him that I didn't like plush toys." Tiffany replied as she continued to hug the teddy bear.

"That was what you told me too. Which was why I was very surprised when I saw your reaction earlier. I didn't expect you to like it so much." Bora shook her head at the grinning girl in front of her.

"I didn't want people to start buying me plush toys just because I like it. Actually, no one knew that I love plush toys except for my family members and some friends in Korea. Furthermore, I've made a promise that the only two person who's allowed to buy me plush toys are my dad and Tae...." Tiffany's eyes widened as she didn't complete her sentence.

"Tae? Who's Tae?" Bora asked since it was the first time that she heard Tiffany mentioning that name.

"It's just someone that I know from the past. Anyway, I don't think it's from her." Tiffany replied quickly.

"Her? Tae is a girl? Was she someone special?" Bora tried to investigate further but Tiffany just waved her hands and started to pack her belongings.

"No more questions. I'm in need of plenty of rest. The meeting earlier has used up almost all of my energy." Tiffany pretended to look tired as she carried the bear and took her bag, making her way to her office door.

"That is such a lame excuse to run away from my questions, Tiff. Since when do you ever ran out of energy?" Bora knocked Tiffany's forehead slightly as the two of them chuckled. "Anyway, I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and let you off this time round. Go back and rest well. Enjoy the weekends too. I'll see you on Monday."

Tiffany waved Bora goodbye and made her way to her car that was parked at the basement. 2hrs later, she was already on her bed after showering and having her dinner. As she looked at the bear, Tiffany sighed.

"You shouldn't have hugged the bear before you sent it. After hugging it a few times, I could smell the familiar scent of your cologne on the bear." Tiffany was talking to the bear before she hugged it again. "Kim Taeyeon."

tumblr_m3bgz91ihd1qehiaao1_r1_250.gif

(Flashbacks)

"Fany-ah, why do you have so many plush toys on your bed? It's taking up so much space" Taeyeon pouted as she tried to rearrange the toys.

"Appa likes to buy me these plush toys. Since the between me and my Unnie is quite big, she rarely had time to play with me due to her studies. These plush toys are the ones that kept me company at home especially at night." Tiffany explained.

"You've brought all your plush toys from the States?" Taeyeon asked as she climbed on the bed and leaned against the headrest of the bed.

"Anni. These are only half of it. Since I'm staying with Sunny and her family, I didn't want to inconvenient them with all my toys." Tiffany smiled widely at a surprised looking Taeyeon as she climbed on the bed.

Both Tiffany and Taeyeon were spending a night together at Sunny's house where Tiffany had been staying since she came to Korea. The girls were enjoying their school break before the start of the new term.

"But Fany, how come most of your plush toys are pink in color?" Taeyeon looked around and started to count her girlfriend's toys. "Pink panther, pink hello kitty, pink minnie mouse, pink rabbit..."

"It's my favourite color, Taetae. The only one that is not in pink is Totoro." Tiffany pointed to the grey plush toy at the corner of the room. "Appa said that I have a totoro smile."

Giving Taeyeon a sample of that smile, the two girls ended up giggling to each other.

"Besides Appa, who else bought you plush toys?" Taeyeon asked as both girls started to get comfortable and lied down on the bed.

"Appa is the only one who bought for me." Tiffany replied.

"In that case, only Appa and me are allowed to buy you plush toys. If anyone asked if you like plush toys, just tell them that you hate it. And if anyone wants to give it to you personally, you must reject them. Arraseo?" Taeyeon said as she took out her pinky finger. "Promise?"

Giggling at her girlfriend's request, Tiffany wrapped her pinky finger with Taeyeon's and nodded her head. "I promise."

************************

"You bought a plush toy and had it sent over to Fany-unnie's office?"

Taeyeon nodded her head to her sister after she had finished telling the girls about what she had done before she started work today.

"Fany should have received the bear by now. I had it sent by express service. Maybe she's hugging it to sleep." Taeyeon chuckled at her own statement as she remembered how she had hugged the big bear tightly before sending it  for express delivery. The bear was almost as big as her.

"Or she could have thrown it away." Jessica intercepted, causing Taeyeon to pout.

"What if Fany thinks that it was from Nicky? Since you didn't include your name like you said earlier, Fany would not know that it's from you." Sunny asked as everyone turned to look at Taeyeon.

"I didn't want her to know that it's from me but I'm confident that she would never think it's from him. The only person allowed to buy plush toys for her is Appa Hwang and me. No one is supposed to know that she likes plush toys except for you girls and her family." Taeyeon replied.

"But seriously, Taengoo. Is that the best you can do?" Yuri asked as Taeyeon pouted again.

"Everyone. Relax." Sooyoung said as she placed her arm on Taeyeon's shoulder. "We're taking it slow, remember. Baby steps. At least Taengoo is doing something about it."

"But her action seems insignifcant. It's not going to have any impact. What if Fany-unnie threw it away just like what Sica-unnie said or maybe she thought it was someone else beside Taeng-unnie, like what Sunny-unnie assumed?" Hyoyeon shared her thoughts.

"Well, the possibilities are always there but let's stay positive shall we? Instead of brooding about the negative side, why don't we think the opposite?" Sooyoung smiled widely at everyone. "Maybe Fany knew who sent it to her. Like what she told Sunny and Sica before, she doesn't need Taengoo to say to her directly to understand her gestures."

"But if she realised that it's from Taeyeon, won't it be like something out of the blue?" Sunny asked.

"The moment Fany met Yoona and Seohyun at the meeting last month, nothing will be out of the blue anymore. Especially with the recent visit from Sica and Sunny. It's just a matter of time that these two will eventually meet and Fany will be expecting that. What's important now, is to see if she's going to run away from us again because of Taengoo or if she's willing to give our dear friend another chance."

The rest of the girls nodded their head with Sooyoung's explanation who was patting Taeyeon's back.

"So Taengoo, what's next after this?" Yuri asked as Taeyeon placed her palm under her chin.

"I don't have anything else planned yet. Actually, buying the plush toy was a spurr of the moment thing. I saw at the shop's display and it kind of reminded me of her." Taeyeon replied honestly.

"How about the school reunion? It would be nice to have both of you meeting each other there." Hyoyeon suggested.

"It's already end of march now. The reunion will be in July which means we have about 3 months to persuade her to attend. Do you think we have enough time, knowing how stubborn she can be at times?" Sunny commented as Jessica agreed with her.

"I think it's better if they met up before the reunion itself. What if Fany ignores Taengoo at the reunion? Everyone will see it and that will traumatise this midget here." Sooyoung said as she started poking Taeyeon's cheeks.

"Yah!!" Taeyeon tried to slap Sooyoung's fingers away but she managed to pull her hands much faster. "I actually agree with Soo though. If she's really going to the reunion, I would prefer to know how she feels about me before that. But I doubt she'll ever come back to Seoul."

Silence suddenly filled the air as everyone seemed to be deep in thoughts. 5mins later, everyone was surprised when Hyoyeon suddenly slammed the table with a grin in her face.

"We can always use work as an excuse, right?" Hyoyeon said as she looked at Jessica who had a blank expression. "Work? Your company? The project?"

It took Jessica another 5 seconds before she realised what Hyoyeon had in mind. 

"Oh my gosh. That's a good idea. Why didn't I think of that?" Jessica said with a straight face, causing everyone else to laugh at her slow reaction.