Chapter 8

Wings

As expected, the next one month was really hectic but uneventful, especially since school was starting again and they were both in their final year of high school and the teachers had started drilling them for the university entrance exams.

For Woobin especially, it was just countless of practice and preparation for the auditions on top of school. Jongsuk didn’t want to distract Woobin, so he had made a conscious effort to not go to the modelling school that much. Instead, he took up a part-time job at a coffee shop near the school, and Woobin would drop by as and when.

It was the day of the audition almost too soon. Woobin had to skip school for the auditions and as much as Jongsuk wished he could be there with Woobin, he really didn’t have a valid excuse for cutting classes. Woobin didn’t want him to cut classes either.

Jongsuk rested his head on the table and looked at the empty seat next to him, letting out a bored sigh. The literature teacher had been droning on and on about a poem the past 50 minutes, and Jongsuk had absolutely no interest in whatever the poem was talking about – what with the wind and all.

He glanced up at the clock on the table, watching the seconds tick by. He couldn’t wait for lessons to end, so that he would be able to head over to the audition venue. Whatever the outcome was, the two boys had agreed to meet for dinner to celebrate Woobin’s first audition.

When the bell finally rang, Jongsuk grabbed his bag and rushed out of class, heading straight for the audition venue.

By the time he got there, the auditions were over and Woobin was idly standing outside the venue waiting for Jongsuk. Seeing the familiar figure in front of him, Jongsuk broke into a small run and jumped onto Woobin, giving him a headlock. They weren’t sure how or when it happened, but Woobin had grown tremendously since they first met and was now even slightly taller than Jongsuk.

“Yah! How did it go?”

“Aishh. Let go of me!” Woobin protested, a small grin forming on his lips when he saw his friend behind him.

Jongsuk laughed and released Woobin, tilting his head a little to look at Woobin

“Didn’t get it,” Woobin just shrugged, a tinge of disappointment flashing across his face before he broke into a smile again, trying his best to mask the disappointment.

Woobin had expected that he wouldn’t get it. After all, it was his first ever audition and he didn’t think he would be that lucky. But that didn’t mean he had no expectations and that he wouldn’t be disappointed.

Of course, Jongsuk understood. It was a month’s worth of hard work and Jongsuk had been watching Woobin from the side. He knew how much effort he had put in, and he himself had experienced the disappointment of failing an audition.

As Jongsuk watched Woobin in front of his eyes, he suddenly felt a sense of familiarity. It was like how he was just a few years ago, when he was working hard towards his own dream. It was like when Jonghyun was still with him, working hard together towards what they wanted. It all felt too familiar, and Jongsuk couldn’t help but wonder how it might have been like now if Jonghyun was still around. He quickly shook his head, snapping out of the thought. He didn’t think he had the right to even think that.

Jongsuk rested his hand on Woobin’s shoulder, giving it a small squeeze and smiled. Woobin turned to look at Jongsuk, returning the smile. No words were exchanged, because no words were needed.

“Let’s go celebrate your first audition!” Jongsuk beamed, pulling Woobin along behind him.

It was a simple celebration. They bought cans of beer and called takeaway chicken, finding a random spot at the park and just sitting by the grass, watching the sky gradually turn dark.

“To your first audition!” Jongsuk smiled, holding up his can and knocking it lightly on Woobin’s before taking a large gulp. “Did they give you any feedback?”

 “Mmhmm, they said I have potential!” Woobin grinned, “Just I looked a little too raw. Not enough experience I guess. They said I’ve a good walk.”

“That doesn’t sound bad at all. You just need a couple more auditions and I’m sure it won’t be too long before you finally get onto the runway!”

“Hopefully,” Woobin snorted. “But I’ve a feeling they said that to everyone?”

Jongsuk gave Woobin a light nudge and hit on his arm. “Yah, where’s the confident Kim Woobin I know?”

“I mean…I didn’t perform well, and I’m really not sure they could see the potential in me.” Woobin took a sip of his beer, before scratching the back of his head, an awkward look forming on his face. “I kind of….tripped over myself.”

“….oh.”

“But I made a rather good save….I think? I thought I was rather cool, though a bit awkward. I mean, who wouldn’t be right? After tripping over yourself…At least I completed it after that! Ah whatever, at least it was a good experience. And the next one is only going to be better.”

“That’s the way you should be, young one!” Jongsuk said and ruffled Woobin’s hair. Jongsuk smiled. He knew he didn’t have to worry much about Woobin and seeing Woobin now, he knew that he was right.

“Yah! You just used your hands to eat the chicken! Don’t touch my hair with that!” Woobin flinched. “And I’m not young. I’m your hyung!”

“Tch, hyung? NEVER.” Jongsuk grinned, purposely reaching over to ruffle Woobin’s hair again.

“Go away!” Woobin laughed, shaking a can of beer before opening it, the beer shooting out of the can and splashing all over Jongsuk.

Of course, Jongsuk wasn’t going to just let it go and he grabbed a can himself, doing the same to Woobin and pouncing on top of him.

The both of them just fooled around at the park, hearty laughter escaping their lips, earning them stares from passers-by. They didn’t mind that the adults were looking at them distastefully, they didn’t mind that people were giving them looks, because they were enjoying themselves thoroughly, and that was all that mattered.

When they finally got tired and ceased war, they were left with no more beer.

The two boys threw themselves onto the grass patch, lying down side by side as they watched the night sky which was now full of stars, both of them smiling really happily.

“You know, they say that after people leave this world, they’ll become stars and look over the people in this world?” Woobin spoke, his eyes fixed on the stars. “I think…Jonghyun would be looking over you.”

“Mmm, maybe…”

“I actually think he wouldn’t be too happy that you’ve given up…”

“…”

“Honestly, as you watch me, don’t you feel like doing it yourself too?” Woobin knew. He had seen Jongsuk’s expressions earlier and he knew that there was a part of Jongsuk that missed it, that what Jongsuk really lacked now was the courage to face it all.

“…” Jongsuk didn’t want to reply, because he did. Undeniably, he did. As he watched Woobin work hard for his audition, even until his feeling of disappointment after the audition, Jongsuk was reminded of the times when he was the one doing all of those. He did miss those times, he honestly did. But he still didn’t think he could do it.

“Even with me next to-“

“Let’s talk about this some other time.” Jongsuk cut Woobin short. “Today is about you, not me.”

Woobin didn’t continue. He didn’t want to force it on Jongsuk.

Silence.  Comfortable silence. They both were lost in their own thoughts.

“Woobin-ah, you did well,” Jongsuk spoke, breaking the silence as he sat up and reached over to grab his bag, digging into it and taking something out and handing it over to Woobin.

“Mmm? What’s this?” Woobin asked, sitting up as well.

“Just…something small to commemorate your first audition.” Jongsuk shrugged. “Nothing expensive, but yeah.”

Woobin opened the box, revealing a small silver dinosaur charm.

“I didn’t have money to buy anything expensive, so just make do with this for now. I don’t really know what you can do with it…ah, I’ll get you something better next time.”

“Yah, you didn’t have to get me anything.”

“But I wanted to.”

“Thanks, I’ll keep it well…” Woobin took a look at the charm, digging into his bag for a chain and stringing the charm into the chain, before putting it around his neck. “But next time, don’t get me anything. It’s not like you’re earning a lot from your part-time work.”

Jongsuk just smiled, neither agreeing nor disagreeing. He picked up his bag from the floor and stood up. “It’s late, let’s go. There’s still school tomorrow.”

“You just had to remind me,” Woobin groaned, picking up his own bag and following behind, catching up with Jongsuk so they’re walking together, arm casually slinging over Jongsuk’s shoulder.