Chapter 3

Wings

The gym that Woobin normally visited was a public gym. Visiting the gym after school on weekdays also meant that they usually had the entire place to themselves. Being a weekday afternoon, the adults were still at work. It’s only occasionally that there was one or two other people around.

It was a Wednesday afternoon, and when the two boys arrived, the gym was empty like always. Some of the machines were still switched on, probably indicating that someone else had just finished their session. The place reeked of perspiration and the sunlight through the glass windows warmed the room even though the air-con was switched on.

Jongsuk sat at a corner of the gym, hiding in the shadow of a pillar, keeping himself away from the glaring sun rays. He was still in his school uniform. He had a notebook in his hands and was diligently scribbling down some notes. He occasionally looked up at the other boy who was rotating between the weights machine, sweating it out and working very hard to build up his muscles.

When Woobin finally finished his final set of weights at the bench press machine, he walked over to where Jongsuk was seated, asking, ‘Yah, what is it that you are writing? You’ve been writing non-stop since we got here today.”

Jongsuk smiled and shook his head, slipping his notebook into his bag.

For the past month, Woobin had been inviting Jongsuk to the gym regularly. After the first time they went together, Woobin didn’t think Jongsuk would go again. That time, since he didn’t have a change of clothes, he just sat around and played with his phone, occasionally fiddling with the weights that were lying around. Woobin decided that Jongsuk must have been very bored that time.

The second time Woobin asked, it was purely out of courtesy. He didn’t think Jongsuk would still go, but he surprisingly did. Although Jongsuk had a change of clothes that time, he hadn’t exactly worked out either. All he did was go on the treadmill for a bit and did some weights. It wasn’t really that big a difference from the first time they went.  Woobin didn’t quite understand why Jongsuk agreed to go since he wasn’t exactly doing anything much, but since he did, Woobin didn’t see any reason to stop asking.

That day, Jongsuk didn’t even bother changing into his exercise clothes. Neither did he play with the weights and dumbbells that were lying around on the floor. All he did was sit at by the pillar, scribbling on his notebook.

“It’s nothing much,” Jongsuk smiled, plastering his best look of innocence on his face. Woobin wasn’t convinced. It hasn’t been long since they knew each other but Woobin knew Jongsuk didn’t lie very well. Jongsuk was definitely getting better at looking innocent, but Woobin didn’t buy it. Rather, Jongsuk’s reactions got Woobin even more curious. From Jongsuk’s actions, he guessed that whatever it was in the notebook, it wasn’t something he couldn’t know. In fact, he thought Jongsuk was just trying to get this reaction out of him.

Woobin narrowed his eyes and approached Jongsuk slowly and stealthily, his eyes fixed on Jongsuk’s bag. Watching Woobin’s movements, Jongsuk quickly scrambled onto his feet and backed away, stretching his arm to keep Woobin away at arm’s length.

“Yah! Don’t come near me. You’re all sweaty and smelly!!”

“Notebook.”

“NO.”

Woobin eyed Jongsuk’s bag like a lion eyeing its prey, and he suddenly pounced towards Jongsuk, but was easily stopped by Jongsuk’s arms pushing him away. Jongsuk was surprisingly stronger than Woobin despite not working out as much.

The both of them had gotten considerably closer over the past month. Of course they would, considering the amount of time they spent with each other. Being table mates, they only had each other to talk to when lessons were boring; they worked on group projects and assignments together – even if it was Jongsuk doing the work most of the time; they hung out during breaks and they had their gym sessions.

Even then, Jongsuk was rather amazed at how much closer he had gotten to Woobin over the short span of time. He didn’t think it was possible for him to get close to someone over such a short period of time, but he did. He didn’t know why he did, but he was glad that he had a friend like Woobin.

Jongsuk still wasn’t close to the rest of the class, but that didn’t really bother him much. He wasn’t the kind who needed many friends anyway.

“Go away!” Jongsuk warned. He was secretly glad they were the only two people in the gym at that time. With the scene they were making, they would have otherwise attracted a lot of attention.

Of course, Woobin wasn’t going to give up just like that. He wouldn’t be Woobin if he did, and Jongsuk was fully aware of that. However, Jongsuk wasn’t ready to just give in without a fight. Grabbing his bag in his hand, he swiftly avoided Woobin and ran over to an empty space to prevent himself from being cornered by Woobin.

Woobin had anticipated that move but even then, he wasn’t fast enough to get Jongsuk. He was rather surprised at Jongsuk’s agility, and that just made him even more determined to get the bag. It really wasn’t about the notebook anymore. Woobin just didn’t want to lose. The two boys jumped and ran around, the gym instantly turning into their playground.

Of course, their game of catching didn’t last long before the staff of the gym entered and gave them a good scolding. Woobin repeatedly apologized and shot Jongsuk a glare, to which the younger boy just shrugged and gave him a victorious look.

****

Sitting by the roadside barbecue grill and waiting for their dinner to cook, Jongsuk suddenly asked, “Do you trust me?”

Woobin furrowed his brows at the random question his mind still on the notebook. “I did, but maybe now I don’t.”

Jongsuk laughed. He knew Woobin was still itching to find out what was in the notebook.

“Aishh, you won’t leave it until I give you the notebook eh?” Jongsuk shook his head as he took out the notebook and handed it over to Woobin.

Woobin grinned and swiftly took the book, flipping open the pages and looking at Jongsuk’s scribbles. “Yah, you really need to work on your handwriting,” he mumbled as he looked through the pages.

The pages were filled with workout routines and diet plans, which Woobin strangely thought they looked familiar. It was only until the last page of the scribbles did he realize that it was the routine he was following.

“Yah! Why are you taking notes of my workout routine? Do you have a secret crush on me? Or are you a secret sasaeng fan?”

Jongsuk snorted as he took a piece of sliced beef from the grill and put it on Woobin’s plate, taking another for himself. “Oh, please. I’ve better taste than that.” He paused for a while before continuing, “It’s just that…you have been working really hard and even maintaining a very strict diet. It’s weird that you’re not buffing up…”

“Mmhmm,” Woobin sighed. “Very weird. But yah, what has that got to do with you taking notes about MY workout routine. Are you secretly following it?”

“Tsk, do I look like I need to follow your routine? It’s just…what do you think if I devise a new routine for you?”

“H-huh?”

Jongsuk nodded eagerly. “Just give it a try. Two months, and if it doesn’t work, then go back to what you’re doing now. It’s not like your current routine is helping much.”

Woobin hummed in agreement, “Sure. Two months. But how are you going to do it?”

“Mmm, I got an old friend who can give some advice.” Jongsuk quickly added, “It’s not really convenient for him to come out and meet you though. Just trust me on this.”

Woobin thought Jongsuk’s reply was rather weird but he couldn’t pinpoint what it was, and this time, he didn’t think he should probe, so he just nodded.

“In this two months, you’ll have to follow my plan exactly. Oh right, I’ll prepare your lunch so you can stop bringing those eggs to school.”