One shot

Say it with flowers
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

“OMO! Henry Lau just launched a new album!”

Soojung throws her a dirty glare, seriously Amber is the biggest Henry Lau’s fangirl that she has ever known. She has all his albums for collection and even plays his songs in the cafe all day long, making Soojung remembers all the lyrics even though his songs are all in English.

“I need to tell Kris.”

Soojung’s eyebrow twitches at that name.

“You are still in touch with him?” Amber nods nonchalantly at her question and start typing on her phone which Soojung has no doubt to that guy named Kris.

Their friendship started in the most unconventional way. Both of them are fans of Henry Lau and liking the same type of music somehow has brought them together. Since the singer is Canadian, most of his albums can’t be easily found in South Korea. That’s when Amber met Kris in the singer’s fancafe. Kris has family in Canada and the man has helped Amber several times to get Henry Lau’s albums via his family.

 But Soojung doesn’t realize that their relationship has blossomed beyond the transactions.

---

“Kris asked to meet me.” Amber says with serious tone.

“Then?” Soojung looks at her best friend disinterestedly. Seriously, they have been friends for months, of course it’s normal for Kris to ask Amber to meet him in person.

“Honestly, I don’t think this is a good idea.”

“Why? I thought you are best friend with him?”

“What if after he sees me, he doesn’t like me, Soojung-ah?”

“Why do you think he wouldn’t like you after meeting you? I mean you guys are friends because you  share the common interest not because of physical attraction.”

Amber falls silent for a while before squeaking an answer,“Actually, we are kinda dating.”

Soojung almost chokes at her own bubble milk tea, making Victoria who is baking the cupcake in the kitchen glares at her, sending non verbal warning to behave herself.

“Are you crazy?” Soojung hisses at Amber who has any decency to look embarassed. “You haven’t see him and yet you are dating.”

“I don’t care about his appearance. I feel comfortable with him.”

Soojung can’t hold back her snort, “Yeah right. What if he is a 60 years old man who is married with seven grand children? You won’t even know whether he is lying to you.”

“I believe him.” Tsk, this girl is hopeless.

“You believe that Kris Wu is a 25 years old man who is working as an architect yet you don’t believe that he will like you after he sees you. What kind of relationship is that?” Soojung scoffs.

Amber falls silent at the moment,“You don’t understand, Soojung-ah. I am not the prettiest girl in town and - ” she doesn’t dare to continue her sentence but Soojung understands her doubt. Her best friend may not be the prettiest but she is the kindest and the coolest person that Soojung ever meet. And somehow, Soojung wants to know Kris’ intention to date her friend. Is he serious with her or just play around?

“Don’t overthink too much, unnie. We will worry about that later. And don’t you feel curious how he looks like?”

Amber blushes, “I do, actually.”

“Then just make the arrangement to meet him at our cafe, I will help you out.”

---

“You look great, Amber unnie. Don’t worry.” Amber looks at her in distrust.

“Ask Sunyoung, she will agree with me.” Sunyoung gives them two thumbs up and a grin before going back to the kitchen helping Victoria to bake their famous red velvet cake.

“I am nervous, Soojung-ah.” Amber fiddles with the hem of her shirt as a sign of nervousness.

Soojung grabs her shoulders and looks at her straight in the eyes, “I will help you, don’t worry.”

Amber nods hesitantly, still feeling nervous but apparently more relaxed now.

“Then, how do we know him? Did he tell you what color he is going to wear?” The classical way of recognize someone.

Amber shakes her head, “No. But he told me he will bring flowers.”

“Flowers?” So cheesy. Soojung almost scoffs, but holds herself back. “What flowers? Rose?” It must be the mainstream flower that he brings.

“He said bird of paradise. I don’t even know what kind of flower is that.” She adds.

Soojung looks at Amber in disbelief. Well, this Kris guy may be better than she previously thought. Bird of paradise indicates joyfulness, exciting and wonderful anticipation.

“Girls, I know that you guys are anxious to meet that guy, but I need help here!” Victoria’s booming voice makes the girls scamble to their feet to help their boss in the kitchen.

It’s a busy afternoon for their cafe. While it is profitable for their bank account, sometimes Soojung wishes that the crowd would slow down. But of course, it is only a mere wish. And judging by how many people filling their cafe, the wish won’t be fulfilled any time soon, Soojung can only sigh and continue doing her task.

She is working behind the cashier when she sees someone coming from the corner of her eyes. The guy is unbelievably tall, blond and gorgeous. He seems like a model and judging from his clothes, the guy must be from well-off family. But there is one thing that captures her eyes the most from that guy. He is holding a bouquet of bird of paradise flowers. My goodness, that must be Kris Wu.

Soojung nudges Amber on her ribs with her elbow, earning her a glare from the older one. But Soojung pays her no mind, and signalling Amber of Kris Wu’s appearance with her chin. Amber follows Soojung’s line of sight and her eyes widen in realization, turns back to Soojung.

“That’s him.” Soojung informs her, nodding at the gaping Amber.

Suddenly, the older girl scurries inside to the kitchen, leaving Soojung dumbfounded with her unexplainable antics.

The guy takes a seat at the corner of the cafe, sitting facing the door, his eyes never stops wandering to the door whenever  someone comes inside. Soojung’s heart breaks a little seeing the light in his eyes getting dimmer and dimmer as time passes by. She looks over her shoulder to see Amber who are still hiding in the kitchen while peeking every now and then to see Kris.

“Sunyoung, you take care here, I will check on Amber for a while.”

Amber looks so pitiful, makes Soojung’s heart clenches at the sight.

“Did he call or text you?”

“I turned off my phone. I don’t have any confidence to meet him, Soojung-ah.”

Soojung looks at her best friend warily, “Then what are you planning to do? I feel bad for him.”

“... Just let him be. He will leave when he realizes that I won’t come.” Amber replies stubbornly, and Soojung only be able to sigh.

That guy waits for Amber until night, checking his phone every now and then, making Soojung uneasy. And it is her job to let him know that the cafe is going to close soon. She gulps away her nervousness.

“Um, I am sorry, sir. We are going to close soon.” The guy dozes off in the cafe as time goes by and wakes up at the sound of her voice. He blinks his heavy eyes and nods after registering her words in his mind. He takes a look at his phone and puts it away with a dejected sigh after checking his phone. After sending her a tight smile, he walks away from the cafe with a hunched back.

“Has he gone now?” Amber asks her nervously. She has been observing him from the kitchen and even though she feels bad at ditching their plan, she can’t bring herself to meet him.

“Yes. And I believe this is yours.” Soojung grabs the bouquet he has left behind, s it to Amber and leaves her to gather her thoughts.

I am sorry, Kris. She says to herself and hugs the bouquet as if trying to console the bouquet sender.

---

But Soojung should have realized that Kris is not the type of a man that easily gives up. The very next day, he comes again to the cafe, sitting at the same seat with a sketch pad and a new bouquet of flowers on his hands.

Gardenia, as a symbol of purity and sweetness also represents secret admirer, Soojung muses to herself. She glances at Amber who are so focused on creating the designs of the latte and coffee. Amber doesn’t even realize that Kris comes back to their cafe.

“Unnie.”

“Hm?” Amber doesn’t even lift her eyes to look at Soojung while speaking with her.

“He comes back.” Now this grabs Amber’s attention. She whips her head so fast at Soojung’s direction until Soojung almost hears the crack of her neck being moved so harshly.

“I must go, Soojung-ah. Jinri, you take care here.”

Without throwing another glance to the guy, Amber directly goes to the kitchen. Soojung sighs, she shouldn’t let Amber know and now she hides herself again. She glances at Kris and Soojung swears she catches him looking at the ki

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter