Unexpected Meeting

Ms. Perfect Meets Mr. Optimist

It was Monday when he found out what to do with her number.

He was walking to the bus stop after coming from Jong In’s place when he saw a familiar face not far away from where he stood. He can’t be mistaken because even if he just saw her once, it wasn’t hard to recognize her.

She stood at the bottom of the stairs of a hotel looking down. She was dressed up again, in a simple white dress that reached just above her knees that she kept on pulling down.

He smirked, “Aigoo. She kept wearing dresses like that but she keeps on pulling them down.”

He looked at her surroundings if she’s with anyone but there was nobody else except for a man in front of a black car that was parked in front of her and a bell boy waiting to be ordered standing by the entrance of the hotel.

She finally looked up and his eyes lit up, a bright smile gracing his lips as he made a move to wave at her when she looked around instead.

His smile disappeared to a straight line as he pulled his hand down, looking at where she was staring. Emerging from the glass doors of the hotel were two men suited up and an elegantly dressed woman. Jinhae bowed at them and Chanyeol suspected that they were people she knew from business. She looked more composed than the time he met her, probably because it was something related to business.

Something bothers him though.

“A business meeting? On a Monday night? She has class tomorrow though, doesn’t she?”

He frowned at it. No wonder Sehun and Seulgi told them that she’s a very busy body. It was a Monday night for goodness sake and here she was, attending to and greeting some business man in suit.

He watched them, unable to move from his spot. The elders were talking while Jinhae stood beside the woman, nodding and smiling sometimes but he knew better that it wasn’t really a smile. It was a little later when one of the men finally left to the black car and two new cars drove and parked themselves in front of them. Both drivers stepped out of the car, bowing to them.

One of the drivers opened up the door to one of the cars and the woman entered first, leaving Jinhae with the other man. The girl stood with her eyes lowered down, not meeting the older man’s ones he assumed was her father. Her hands were clasped in front of her and she stood so rigidly that she looked like she was standing against the wind.

As he watched the girl, he can’t help but feel bad. She’s just on her third year and she’s even younger than most of them but here she was, busier than anyone older he knows. When Sehun told them that she’s already attending business meetings and has a very hectic schedule, he thought he was probably just exaggerating but now that he’s seeing it with his own eyes, he doesn’t know what to say.

He wasn’t sure how long it was before the man finally entered the car and the car drove off. He just stood there, watching her as she just stood staring after the car. When the car was out of sight, he saw the other driver stood beside her, saying something to which she just nodded and smiled at.

The man then opened the door and he doesn’t know what got into him when he jogged over to where she was, calling her name.

Jinhae was just about to enter the car when she heard her name being called by a deep voice that made her stop and look towards the owner. Her eyes widened when she recognized the person jogging their way.

When Chanyeol reached her, he grinned at her like he usually do but Jinhae looked so shocked that she just stared at him.

Kang Joon stood silent beside Jinhae for a while, the face of the boy looking familiar to him before it finally clicked in his mind where he had seen him. He was surprised to be meeting the boy again but Chanyeol doesn’t seem to remember him and he wasn’t expecting him to since it was a fast encounter. Nevertheless, he didn’t think their paths would meet again and as he looks at it, the boy might even be acquainted to Jinhae. He wasn't sure if it was a good thing or a bad thing because the way they met wasn't actually something ideal to make such a good first impression.

“Do you know him?” He asked, snapping Jinhae back to her senses as she nodded.

“Good evening,” Chanyeol greeted and bowed at Kang Joon who nodded back.

Kangjoon looked back at Jinhae then at Chanyeol before a small smile came to his lips. “I’ll move the car for now. Then,” Kangjoon bent his head once to Chanyeol who did the same, before he faced Jinhae. “Message me if you’re done.”

Chanyeol watched the two interact and decided that the man wasn’t actually her driver but someone even closer to her which somehow he was relieved. At least Jinhae has someone she’s comfortable with even in the business side.

When Kangjoon left, Jinhae just stared at the taller boy who watched as the car drove off. She doesn’t know why but she felt relieved when he appeared, like he was a breath of fresh air.

Chanyeol then looked at her then smiled. “Long time no see, Jinhae.”

“O-Oh… Long time no see, Chanyeol.”

 

They found themselves a few minutes later at a nearby convenience store since standing out would be too cold especially with the short dress Jinhae was wearing. Chanyeol had already offered his jacket and draped it over her shoulder even after Jinhae’s protest but it wouldn’t be enough to cover her legs so they decided to go somewhere warmer which led them to seven-eleven.

Sitting down on a table by the window, Chanyeol placed a hot choco he insisted on buying her in front of her before he sat opposite her.

“If you don’t mind me asking, were you in a business meeting?” Jinhae looked surprised and Chanyeol grinned sheepishly. “I’ve been standing quite a long time there so I saw it. Sorry.”  

Jinhae shook her head, shocked at what he said. “No, no, it’s fine. I’m sorry I didn’t notice you.”

Chanyeol smiled, “It’s okay. Not like I made myself known sooner anyway.”

“Oh… It’s a dinner but I guess it’s just a disguise for a business meeting,” Jinhae said and Chanyeol was confused for a moment before he realized that she was answering his earlier question.

“Ah… I see.” Chanyeol could hear and see how talking about business stuff was wearing her off so he didn’t want to ask more.

There was silence as neither didn’t know what to say. As much as Chanyeol was a chatterbox, there would also be times when he can’t think of anything to talk about, especially if he’s talking with a girl and not a guy.

It was after a few seconds of nothing but silence when Chanyeol remembered something. A large smile plastered itself on his lips which he can’t help.

Jinhae was slightly startled by it that she stared wide eyed at him.

“Do you remember about the festival?”

“F-Festival?” Jinhae could faintly remember hearing something about a festival but she can’t remember where she had heard it.

Chanyeol nodded giddily. “The one we were talking about that Friday night?”

“Ah… That,” she nodded awkwardly, “I remember but I really don’t know about it.”

“That’s fine,” he grinned and she smiled a little.

“Why are you asking, anyway?” She asked, unable to stop her curiosity.

“Oh, right. I’m wondering if you wanted to come. Our band will play that day and the boys are all coming. I think Seulgi will be coming too. Well, if you want,” Chanyeol said, the sheepish smile on his lips again as he rubbed the back of his neck. She noticed that he tends to do it if he feels embarrassed. For some reason, she really thinks it’s cute since he’s a very tall guy but whenever he does that, he looks like an elementary school kid. “So, would you come? I’m sure the boys would be glad to see you there.”

“Ah…” She was pulled out of her thoughts as she her lips unsurely, looking down on her cup of hot choco. “That…Uhm…I’m not sure…” She said in a soft voice.

“Can’t you really? Even for just a few hours? You can stay even just until we finish our performance!” Chanyeol doesn’t know why he was being pushy about it but he’s just determined on bringing her to the festival. There was something telling him that he should bring her.

Maybe it was what he saw earlier, outside the hotel or her tired voice and demeanor. Or both. Whatever it is, he knows he has to do something about it. What the 'it' was, he's not yet sure. But he's sure it'll just present itself to him sometime. 

Jinhae peeked up at his round bright eyes then looked down again. She was tempted to go, she’d admit that, but with her busy schedule, she wasn’t sure how to squeeze it in. And not to mention how her father might throw a fit if he finds out. He told her that that kind of stuff were a waste of time. Unless it’ll help her in her business administration skills or her studies, she should stay out of it.

“It’s on Friday. We’ll probably play around seven in the evening. I tell you, it’ll really be fun!” Chanyeol said, pulling her out of her reverie and to another one.

“Friday?”

Chanyeol nodded, smiling.

Now, she really doesn’t know how to even make time for it. She leaves for China that day at four in the afternoon right after her class. She’s leaving with the rest of the representatives from their college and everything has already been settled. Their tickets have been booked and given to them. It’s either she ditched the conference which is very impossible or she change her flight for a later time but that would depend if there are any available flights before the activities starts in eight in the morning.

She heard Chanyeol sigh and she looked up to see him biting on his lips before smiling warmly at her.

“It’s okay. If you really can’t come, then—“

“No!” She suddenly said, a bit loudly that her cheeks turned warm from embarrassment while Chanyeol’s eyes widened in surprise before his lips set into a wider smile. She smiled back. “I can’t promise anything but…I’ll try.”

“Really?!” Chanyeol said so excitedly that Jinhae can’t help but smile. “That’s great! I’m sure the boys will be happy to know that.”

“But uhm… Can you not tell them?” Jinhae asked.

“Why not?”

Jinhae bit her bottom lip. “I’m still not sure…and I don’t want them expecting anything if ever. I’m not assuming that they’ll be waiting for there but…” She heard Chanyeol laughing and she stared at him, face flushed.

“You’re talking too fast,” he said as he calmed down.

“Ohhh…”

Chanyeol grinned at her. “Don’t worry about it. If you can’t or can, they’ll already be happy to know you tried, and you’re not assuming anything.”

Jinhae smiled and muttered a soft thanks when her phone started ringing.

“Is it the…”

“He’s my brother…well not biologically but I grew up with him,” Jinhae said, smiling brightly and Chanyeol figured that the man is really close to the girl to make her smile just at the thought of him.

“Ohhh. I guess we should get going then. You might still have other things to do. Sorry for holding you back,” Chanyeol said, standing up. Jinhae followed suit.

“No, it’s okay. I’m not really that busy…tonight,” she replied.

Chanyeol stifled his laughter. “Are you done with your drink?” He asked, pointing to the cup in her grip. She looked down at it and shook her head.

“I’ll just bring it with me,” she said.

“Okay then. Isn’t it already cold?” Chanyeol asked, bottom lip jutted out. “Do you want another one?”

“No, it’s okay. It’s still warm, a bit,” she said, a little embarrassed but Chanyeol just nodded, his lips smiling once more.

“I think your brother is already here,” he said, looking outside the window where a car waited. Jinhae looked at where he was looking and saw the driver’s side of the door opening and Kang Joon stepping out. Chanyeol started walking to the door so she followed him. He held the door open and stepped out after Jinhae.

Kang Joon rounded the car to the sidewalk where they stood.

“Sorry to interrupt you guys but we still have to get up early tomorrow,” Kang Joon said, a small apologetic smile on his lips. Jinhae felt embarrassed for some reason as she looked down.

“Ah… No. It’s okay. I should be the one sorry. By the way, I’m Park Chanyeol,” Chanyeol said, putting his hand out which Kang Joon took with a smile.

“Seo Kang Joon but just call me hyung. I assume you’re younger than me and I’m sure you’re almost the same age as Jinhae. I don’t like being called mister. It makes me feel old,” he said, grinning and Chanyeol smiled wider if it was even possible, before nodding.

“Yes, hyung.”

Jinhae watched them and can’t help but smile.

“Well then, we’ll take our leave,” Kang Joon said, stepping off of the sidewalk to the car and pulling the car door open for Jinhae.

“Uhm… Thank you for the drink again and this,” she said as she handed him his jacket and Chanyeol grinned.

“It’s nothing.”

“Still, thank you,” Jinhae smiled to which the boy just nodded and smiled back. Before Jinhae could get in, she suddenly turned, making the two boys looked at her in surprise. Jinhae looked for the words to say before she finally found the confidence to ask, “Uhm…D-Do you want a ride? We could…uhm…drop you off in your place.”

Kang Joon watched it, an amused smile coming to his lips. He looked at Chanyeol, wondering what the boy would respond to it. For some people, they would play shy but accept it so Kang Joon anticipated the boys answer. What the boy said brought a smile to his lips as he looked away.

“That’ll be cool but I’m fine. I don’t live far from here anyway,” Chanyeol lied, but Jinhae luckily believed it.

“Are you sure? It’s really fine.”

Chanyeol shook his head. “I’m fine. You should go. It’s already getting late,” he said, waving her off.

Jinhae hesitated for a moment for nodding. “…Take care. Tell me—I mean…”

Kang Joon was trying to stop himself from laughing at how Jinhae was acting. It was so far from her usual composed self. He’s happy though, to see this clumsy side of Jinhae again.

Chanyeol smiled, completely getting what Jinhae was saying. It was probably out of habit and he understood that. “Okay. Take care. Good night.”

Jinhae’s cheeks turned bright red before she nodded. “Good night.” She then entered the car embarrassed to stand there longer and Kang Joon closed the door. Before Kang Joon entered the car, he looked at Chanyeol, meaning to say something but the younger boy beat him to it.

“Good night too, hyung,” Chanyeol grinned at him and he nodded a smirk on his lips, forgetting what he was supposed to say before entering the car.

Chanyeol stood there and watched at the car drove off, waving even though he wasn’t sure if Jinhae was looking. When the car was out of sight, he smiled to himself before wearing his jacket and stuffing his hands to its pockets and began walking to the bus stop.

 

They were already half way to her neighborhood when she finally decided to take a chance.

Oppa.”

“Oh?”

“Can...Can I switch my flight on Friday?”

Kang Joon looked so surprised as he looked at Jinhae through the rear view mirror and found her looking at him.

“I guess…but why?” He asked, looking around to the girl when it was a red light.

“Just…I have something to do,” she replied, her lips nervously, and Kang Joon watched her, finding it new. Jinhae wasn't the type to delay anything business related for anything else and if she has something to go on on a specific day, she would already notify him before any arrangements are made. But this time around, it was more like an impulsive decision which truly surprised him. Kangjoon pursed his lips before smiling a little and finally nodding.

“Can’t promise anything but I’ll see what I can do.” He looked forward again and sped away when the light turned green.

They reached her home an hour later and they both stepped out of the car.

“Good night, oppa,” she said, sleep in her voice and Kang Joon nodded.

“Good night.” He watched her walk before he can’t stop his curiosity and called her.

“What is it, oppa?” She asked, rubbing her tired eyes as she looked at him.

Kang Joon hesitated before he shook his head, smiling. “Nothing. Rest up. You still have a long day tomorrow.”

Jinhae just nodded, returning a soft smile before entering their house. Kang Joon stood there for a while before he entered the car again.

Whatever the reason is, he thought, it must be really worth it.

 

 

That night, when she finally fell asleep thinking so much of whether she should message Seulgi or Sehun to ask them if they know the boy's number since apparently, she forgot to ask for it and she at least needed something to communicate with him about the festival, her phone vibrated to a message.


A/N:

A quick update! I haven't updated this fast in so long. Anyhow, is it too long or too short? I'm not sure if the length is alright with you guys so please do let me know. Is the pacing okay as well? I hope it's not too fast nor too slow. I'm trying to build up their relationship little by little since I don't want to rush things between them. Anyhow, the festival would be on the next chapter! Look forward to it!

Thank you for reading! ^^

THAT LIP BITE ><