01 Live Eumak Cafe

Ms. Perfect Meets Mr. Optimist

Sleeping is a privilege for Wang Jinhae.

Waking in the morning at six o’clock every day no matter what time she gets to drift off to her dreamland at night has already been a habit for her, so whether she only had an hour or two of sleep, her day always and must start at that specific hour of the day. That is why sleep has already been a pleasure for her as it comes so rarely. 

And that is also why every time she gets a chance, even if it is just for a few minutes, she will grab it, and with her luck, that day, a chance came her way.

Getting to sleep on the ride home is already a common luck for her that is why she liked being in the car, at least most of the times. Like her cousin would say, for a normal citizen and not a popular celebrity, she's spending more of her time in a car than her own home. The only thing, her cousin said, she needs is to get it customized where she could put a bed in it. Jinhae couldn’t even argue with it because she was right as her means of transferring from one place to another is through a car so that’s also where she could at least rest.

But it’s not like she always gets to sleep in the car ride anyway, as most of the times, she had to read through some documents so putting a bed inside it isn’t very much useful. And not to mention how her parents would be so disapproving of it.

From having classes at eight in the morning until two in the afternoon and a project meeting straight after that went for two hours to a mandatory charity ball at seven in the evening where she also had to greet and converse with people where she doesn’t even know more than half of them, there was almost no time to breathe. She could have if only not for the fact that she had to sit in front of the mirror for an hour just to get her hair and make-up done and then additional minutes to wear the dress her mom had chosen for her. Even in the car ride, she had to rehearse her speech that her father assigned her to do. 

By the time she was given permission to leave, she was so drained. Once she got in the car, she felt her muscles relaxing and her eyes immediately fluttering close as soon as she removed her heels. For her, it was heaven. So when she felt a nudge on her shoulder along with her cousin’s voice booming in her ears, she didn’t even want to move, lest open her eyes.

“Jinnie, wake up!”

She groaned and twisted away to the other side.

It should not have been an hour since they left the venue so she doubted that they have already arrived at her place, and knowing her cousin, she would just be showing her something from her phone that did not interest her as much as she does, and that, for her, is not worth of a second from her sleep. At least, not when she’s still floating in cloud nine.

She was already so used to it that during times like this, she knew ignoring would be the best solution so she did.

But as expected of her cousin, she was insistent. Still, the nudging continued as her cousin kept chanting the same words but she won’t let it snag away her chance of sleeping. She heard a laugh somewhere followed by words which came incoherent in her ears before a door opened and closed.

Did we stop by somewhere?

When the nudging stopped and so was the voice, she felt herself sighing as she snuggled closer to the door.

Maybe a toilet break, she thought. It would not surprise her because she’s sure her cousin drank so many glasses of wine, her body probably could not handle it anymore.

Another door swung open and close and it had not even been ten seconds later when she felt her body abruptly falling to the side, shaking her awake. A cold breeze made her shiver and she pushed herself up.

“Hurry up! It’s almost time!”

She forced her eyes open as her cousin tried to pull her out of the car. Her eyes were still blurry from sleep as she pulled her arm away.

“Seul, I don’t need to use the toilet so just go and I’ll stay here,” she mumbled, still trying to retract her arm from Seulgi’s hold. The latter whined.

“We’re not here for a toilet break but to have some fun!” She was already about to close her eyes when she heard that remark from her cousin and her eyes fluttered open again, now adjusting to her surroundings as it cleared up.

“What?”

She might’ve put her guards down a little because before she knew it, she was forced to stand on her bare feet and the door shut close behind her. Now, she was totally awake.

“Seulgi!”

She spun around and tried to open the door but it was all put to vain as the girl had already locked it and when she turned to face her, Seulgi had a smirk on her lips as she spun the key on her finger. She glared at her and tried to get it but the former threw it back, making her eyes wide.

“Got it!”

Her eyes doubled its size at the other voice as her head snapped to look at the person and found another one of her cousins standing a few meters away from them, in front of an entrance to a café.

“Sehun?”

The boy grinned before pocketing the keys. “I’ll go ahead. Make sure you come before the performance starts,” he said before turning around and walking through the door of a two-story building.

Things didn’t make sense to her as she stood there dumbfounded but she was sure that she was tricked.

The last thing she remembers when they left the hotel where the charity party commenced was getting in the car with her trusted oppa, as she calls him, before Seulgi insisted on riding in with her. She really didn’t have a choice because the girl had already told her driver to leave and her parents had also left. What she didn’t expect was Seulgi’s conspiracy plan with her oppa and by the looks of it, Sehun who she had no idea how he took over the driver’s seat.

Seulgi bent down and placed a pair of flip-flops in front of her which she didn’t hesitate on wearing because of the cold ground. She batted her lashes at her as she smiled sweetly. “Shall we go?”

She doesn’t know what was running in their minds but one thing is for sure, she’s not going to do whatever they expected her to do.

“No. I’m going home,” she said sternly as she turned around. Her eyes scanned the passing cars and as she couldn’t possibly drive and she wouldn’t even dare ride a bus in her attire, her only option is riding a cab.

“How will you get home when you don’t even have money?”

Dang.

“I’ll call—“

She felt for her cellphone and remembered that she was wearing a dress and there was no way it has pockets, the same reason why she doesn’t have even a won with her.

“Can we go now?” The satisfaction in Seulgi’s voice sent her groaning. “You know Samchon and Imo wouldn’t like it if they find out you sneaked out—“

“But I didn’t!”

Seulgi shrugged, a smirk on her lips. “But they wouldn’t know that.”

She pressed her lips together in a thin line. Of course they don’t know and they wouldn’t even take any of her explanations if she tried. For them, it would just be excuses and she wasn’t up for any of that when her body and mind was too exhausted.

She heard Seulgi sigh in exasperation. “C’mon Jinnie. It’s not like coming with us will kill you—“

She deadpanned on her but Seulgi just continued.

“It’s going to be fun, I promise you,” Seulgi smiled widely.

She quirk an eyebrow. Fun? They definitely have a different definition of that word so she wasn’t sure Seulgi knew that it made her more discouraged more than she already was.

Seeing Jinhae wasn’t going to budge, Seulgi sighed, rolling her eyes.

“Fine. If you miraculously find a way to go home then go but if you don’t, Sehun and I will just be inside that café. Second floor.”

Seulgi patted her on the shoulder before turning around and walking away.

Jinhae heaved as she looked at the busy road then at the café Seulgi told her. She glanced at the second floor which was dimly lit and she swallowed.

No, she thought, this might be another trick from them and this might be some bar

Her head snapped to her left where two drunk men came wobbling to her direction. They were talking in such loud voices catching people’s attention. She felt goose bumps on her skin as she spun around, away from the drunkards. Her fist curled at her sides.

What the

Thunder sounded and her heart jumped. She looked up and a droplet of rain kissed her skin and before she knew it, countless beads of it came pouring down. She shut her eyes in frustration.

It definitely wasn’t her lucky day.

“Kim Seulgi, Oh Sehun, Seo Kangjoon,” she muttered under her breath, “You’re dead meat when I get a chance.”

Left with no choice, she jogged up to the café.

***

"Coming through! Excuse me! I'm sorry!" 

The same words repeatedly came out of his mouth as he weaved through the hundreds of busy bodies in a street in Yeodeungpo. People kept on hissing at him and he just kept on chanting the same words, having no time to even take a break. His chest was already burning but he kept on going, knowing that his friends would surely kill him if his late more than ten minutes, and he was already six minutes late. He held in his hand around his shoulder the strap of his guitar case which thumped on his back every step he took.

His eyes brightened when he saw the familiar signage outside the place they would usually play at, his family’s live cafe. 

A little more, faster... 

He arrived at the door of the said place and pushed it open. The chimes clung and some customers looked at him and girls' softly squealed. He gave the girls a grin before turning to the guy behind the counter who looked up and smirked at him.

"They're there," Minseok said and he grimaced.

"I know. See ya' later," he said, giving Minseok a nod before turning to another door where a boy stood guard.

"Twenty more minutes 'til opening," the boy teased and he rolled his eyes playfully, pushing the guy to the side.

"There's no time for jokes, Jong-in. I'm late!" He said, and the other guy laughed.

"You should've stopped watching—"

"I'M NOT LIKE YOU!" He shouted back and the boy smirked, watching the other running up the steps, two at a time. Luckily his legs were long enough for the long strides he took, and soon, he could hear the soft strumming of guitar and sweet melody of the keyboard. It was comforting yet at the same time scary because it meant that his friends have already arrived and was already practicing, not being able to wait for him any longer. He couldn't blame them because that part of the place is about to open in less than thirty minutes.

He peeked through the door and saw his friends had already finished setting up on the small stage upfront. Carefully, he made his entrance, trying not to make any noise to attract their attention but he knew it was to no avail as his friends have already noticed his arrival as soon as his shadow came in through the door. 

"PARK CHANYEOL! Where were you?!" He winced as he heard his best friend's voice. All music stopped and they all looked his way. He playfully grinned.

"Hi to you too, Baekhyun. And sorry but I'm already here, aren't I?" He said, spreading his arms and grinning.

"Yeah, right. Get your here. We have barely fifteen minutes to rehearse!" Baekhyun snickered.

"What took you so long? I thought you've already forgotten about today," the boy on the guitar said when Chanyeol reached his place on the stage.

"I'm not one to forget, Yixing," Chanyeol said, patting him on the shoulder. "It's you," he grinned and Yixing chortled.

"At least I'm not late," he said, smirking.

"At least I'm not forgetful. And it's not my fault the freaking bus took longer to come than usual," he said, sticking his tongue out on him.

"Chanyeol, will you hurry up?!" He jumped in surprise as he heard the undertone in his other friend's voice.

"Oh, hey Kyungsoo. I didn't see you there," Chanyeol said, sending the boy with wide eyes glaring at him a closed smiled.

"Nice try, slowpoke," Kyungsoo said, rolling his eyes. Chanyeol snickered at him before grabbing his guitar from its case and plugging it to the amplifier.

"Let's not stall longer and begin. We have barely fifteen minutes!" Baekhyun said from the keyboard stand.

"Okay! In the strum of three," Chanyeol said, positioning his guitar. 

And as if nothing happened, their rehearsal began.

***

Fun.

The word kept on repeating in her mind as she entered the second floor of the café, and like she thought, Seulgi wasn’t really on the same page as her.

As it was visible on the outside, it was really dimly lit, just enough light to guide the people around. There was a small platform with variety of instruments set up front with the wall behind it decorated with graffiti. The rest of the walls are painted in dirty white.

At very back of the floor, on the same line as the entrance, was a long counter, almost the same as the one on the first floor. It also sells different mix of coffee, teas, shakes, and smoothies and baked goodies although there were additional menus on the menu board. There were tables and chairs scattered around which are all occupied as of the moment. It looked pretty much a restaurant café.

Only that compared to the quiet ambience of the first floor, the people didn’t really mind toning their voices down. There were loud chatters around. Mostly were girls who looked like they came to see their idols. Not that she had witnessed fan girls since she rarely goes anywhere other than her university, house, and the company building, and the people she meets aside from family members were from the business industry, but they look like Seulgi when she spazz to her about some celebrities so she assumed they were going to see their idols.

“What do you think EXO will sing tonight?”

“I don’t know but I’m sure it’ll be great like any other time. Waaa, I really want to see Baekhyun oppa.”

“I know right! I can’t wait to see Yixing and Kyungsoo… Let’s not forget our charismatic Chanyeol!”

They are definitely going to see their idols, she thought as she heard a group of girls talk as she passed by them.

But do celebrities perform at small places like this? She wondered. She remembered what Sehun said a while ago about a performance starting soon. Was it that?

She let out a loud sigh. It’s not like she’s interested. She does like listening to music but she was never a person to see a band play live. All she wanted to do is go home and hit the bed. She still has a long day the next day at the company and she still has to study for an upcoming exam in one of her classes. In short, she didn’t have time for anything else.

Maybe I could just get the key from Sehun. Right, I’ll just do that and leave.

She knew it wouldn’t be an easy task but it’s worth a try. She scanned the room for the familiar faces of her cousins but because of the dim lighting as well as the number of people gathered, it was hard to spot them.

She bit her bottom lip. “Where could they be?”

“Excuse me?”

She jumped when she felt a tap on her shoulder and she turned her head around, coming face to face to a familiar man whose lips curved to a smile.

“It’s you!”

Her eyes widened in surprise, “Minseok sunbaenim.” She slightly bowed her head.

Minseok’s smile widened. “Wang Jinhae, what a surprise. I thought I got the wrong person.”

Jinhae awkwardly smiled. “Neh. I really don’t come to these places but I got dragged. I’m about to leave though. I just need to look for my cousin.”

Minseok pursed his lips. “Why the rush? Since you’re already here, why not enjoy the performance?”

“H-Huh?”

Minseok smiled, “You should stay. You should take a breather once in a while. C’mon. I’ll let you meet my friends and then I’ll help you find your cousin.”

“F-Friends? B-But—“ She wasn’t able to finish her sentence when Minseok walked forward, leaving her. Her heart palpitated. She was conflicted whether she should follow him but with her cousins not in sight and knowing nobody else in the vicinity except him and with the promise of helping her finding her cousins, she reluctantly followed him.

Her heart was beating so fast in her chest as she tried to not lose the older boy walking ahead of her.

It might sound weird but compared to meeting with business related people, she’s more unconfident on meeting new people outside of it. Maybe because she was used to communicating with company individuals and she was conditioned for it that she knew more on how to communicate with them. Meeting ordinary people, or basically non-business people, are quite hard for her because besides the fact that she wasn’t accustomed in meddling with them, she’s afraid they’ll find her weird or boring. That feeling of rejection, she didn’t really want to experience.

And now, Minseok has just suggested on her meeting his friends. She doesn’t even have a lot of friends to begin with. She could count it with her fingers. So meeting his friends is a bit unnerving. But since he said he’ll help her look for her cousins, maybe she could just manage it for a while. Greetings shouldn’t be so bad. It’s the basics so she should be okay.

Or maybe not.

“Mic test. 1, 2, 3.”

Her head snapped to her left when a voice boomed through the speakers and a sound of strumming followed. As if on cue, the girls started squealing and spotlights focused on the mini stage where four boys stood on their stations. One of the boys on stage, the one on the acoustic guitar put a finger to his lips and the girls slowly hushed down. For some reason, Jinhae was amused.

“Good evening everyone!” The boy sitting in the middle of the two guitarist, the only one with no instrument, greeted, his voice deep.

“Hello everyone!” Another voice quickly followed from the tall guy from the previous guy’s right side. He had a very lively voice that matched the bright smile on his lips and if the main vocal, she assumed, voice isn’t deep enough, his voice was deeper and unlike with his lively voice and smile, it didn’t match his young features. It totally amused her more than the fangirls who listened well to the guitarist.

His eyes momentarily landed on her and her heart jumped in surprise when he waved. She looked behind her, thinking that there might be someone else he’s waving to but there was nothing or no one but an empty sit in front of the counter. She faced forward again and the guy was still looking at her with a large smile although he looked like he was trying to stop himself from laughing. Maybe it was because she had already learned to read people from meeting so many business persons, she could easily tell it. Her face turned warm and she was thankful for the interruption of the boy on the piano who spoke to the microphone.

“How are you doing, chingudeul-ah~!”

She quickly averted her eyes away. Her heart jumped yet again when someone spoke beside her.

“Aren’t they so loud?”

She looked beside her and saw Minseok watching the four boys on the stage, a smirk on his lips.

“E-Eh?”

“They’re really loud but when they start to play, I promise you, you would want to listen more. They have really good voices,” he said turning to her.

“Ah…R-Really?” She asked and Minseok nodded. How he knew, she didn’t know, but it somehow intrigued her.

“Are you really going to leave?” He asked and she was at lost for words for a moment and Minseok pursed his lips, his face thoughtful. “How about you stay for at least one song and then if you really don’t find it entertaining, then I won’t stop you from leaving? You think?” He said, smiling.

Maybe because Minseok is also a business major that he’s so used to making deals and it was hard to say no.

“One song?” Minseok nodded. She took a measured breath before finally nodding. “Okay.” It wouldn’t hurt to stay for a few minutes, right?

Minseok returned a smile and as if on cue, the band started playing. Her eyes focused on the four boys on stage although she tried avoiding the taller boy who waved at her just a few moments ago.

They were playing an unfamiliar song. It wasn’t a loud song but if she was to categorize it, it could pass for a song performed by indie bands, and she wasn’t sure if that was a good thing or not because if you ask her what kind of songs she mostly listens to, then it would be those sung by Urban Zakapa or Standing Egg, just two of the popular indie groups.

Like Minseok had said, they do have really good voices. There was really a reason why the only boy sitting on the beatbox but not playing it was in the vocals although the boy on the piano has an equally impressive voice. So far, the two of them sang most. The boy in the acoustic guitar also has a lovely voice as he sang a few lines on the second verse. But when the last boy, the tallest of them, she assumes, and whom she tries hard to avoid, sang, her eyes can’t help but glue on him.

His voice was deep and velvety, that type which makes a heart flutter. His eyes were also closed as if he was so immersed in the song. He looked so different to the grinning boy she met eyes with not ten minutes ago. Maybe because the song they were playing had a sad tone to it. Her heart skipped when his eyes slowly fluttered open and so conveniently landing on her, just after his part and on instinct, she immediately looked away.

It was probably during the instrumental part of the song when Minseok ushered her to his table, saying that it might be tiring to stand for too long although she knew that it meant something more. It was as if he was so confident that she was going to stay for another song or maybe listen through all of it. But his confidence didn’t go to waste because she had to admit, the band playing was really great and she really wants to hear more.

But the thing, or rather people, she was avoiding most that she momentarily forgot while listening to the band, met her eyes a few steps away from the connected tables at the far left side of the room in respect to the mini stage. She found her feet staying rooted on the spot as she saw the table Minseok was headed to. What met her sight was a table filled with boys.

Her feet immediately took an automatic step back. went dry as she looked at them.

No, she thought, I could handle one friend but four? Just—Wait. Is that…

“Jinnie!” Her head turned to the hushed call and found Seulgi waving at her from her seat, opposite to the four guys. She did a double take and it was indeed her cousin. Seulgi’s action caught the other four guys’ attention, drawing all pair of four eyes to her, resulting for her to hold her breath. When she didn’t move, Seulgi stood up and walked over to her, pulling her giddily to the table.

Minseok looked a little surprised for a moment, not expecting to find her cousins that fast, aside from the fact that he was actually friends with them, before following after the girls.

“You came,” Sehun said, a smirk on his lips and Jinhae would have glared at him if she wasn’t more focused on trying to avoid the other three boys’ looks.

“Who…” She heard someone say and she bit the insides of her cheeks.

“This is my cousin that I was talking about,” Seulgi said in a soft but cheery voice as she hooked her arm with hers.

“Ohh… Looks like I wouldn’t need to help you look for your cousin then,” Minseok said, smirking as he stood beside her.

“Uh…”

“You know her?” Another boy asked and Minseok nodded.

“She’s a hoobae,” Minseok stated in a matter-of-fact.

She couldn’t be more uncomfortable with all the attention on her but what was she to do? Even if all she wanted then was leave, she wasn’t rude enough to do that. She wasn’t brought up like that so even if her heart is beating so fast, she bowed her head in respect.

“Hello. I’m Jinhae, Seulgi and Sehun’s cousin and Minseok sunbaenim’s hoobae,” she said, hoping she didn’t sound so awkward, although she doubt it.

“So that’s you?”

She was still trying to figure out what one of the boys said when Seulgi pushed her to sit in between the guy who just spoke and stood up to give her space and a boy who smiled politely at her as he scooted a little to the other side. The second song was already playing but she couldn’t even pay attention to it nor did she even notice the first song transitioning to the next. Seulgi settled back to her original seat while Minseok slid next to her since it’s impossible to insert another person on where she was sitting.

“By the way, I’m Joonmyeon, eldest next to baozi,” the boy who stood up to give her space with a gentleman vibe and handsome looks said, the angelic smile still on his lips. She assumed baozi was Minseok since the other three boys didn’t come close to looking like steamed buns. Not that Minseok looks like steamed buns, but you get what she means.

“Hello,” she said, curling her lips upwards.

"Hi, I'm Jong-in," the boy to her right with full lips and unique but handsome features said, smiling. She returned the smile and nodded in acknowledgement.

"Hi."

“Well then, it's pleasant to meet you, Jihae,” Joonmyeon said, smiling brightly.

"Ah, neh. Nice to meet you guys too," she said, lips quivering as she smiled. She could still feel her heart pounding in her chest.

"You really came at the right time," Joonmyeon said, earning a nod from the rest and a smirk from Sehun.

"It's because he's paying," he said, and Joonmyeon rolled his eyes at him before turning to look back at Jihae.

"Not that but because you came when all of us are present and they are playing," he nodded to the four boys up stage and Jihae followed his line of sight, and just like that, the conversation all stopped and they were again immersed by the performance.

She was still a bit uneasy though, what not being placed between two boys she had just met. She gulped and looked at Seulgi who smiled widely at her before turning her eyes to the stage. She clasped her hands on her lap under the table. She hated being placed in an awkward position and right there and then was a perfect example of it. Not only was it awkward, but she felt totally out of place. No, don’t get her wrong. She really finds them nice and friendly but they were definitely not the crowd she usually finds herself in so she feels like she’s the odd one out of them.

She took a deep breath, trying to clear her mind before focusing on the performance by the four boys which she had almost forgotten due to being caught up in the moment. They were now playing a rather lively song to which she just noticed the people are clapping together with. Compared to the last song, the one she was able to listen to attentively, all of them are already playing an instrument while singing and the seriousness in their facades were gone and replaced by grins.

A small smile unconsciously stretched on her lips as she watched them as she could really tell that they love what they’re doing. They look so free spirited to the point that they don’t even care if sweat trickled down their foreheads nor if their hair was already getting messy from banging their heads to the rhythm of the song they were playing. They weren’t concerned if they looked messy themselves—they just enjoy what they're doing.

She then realized another reason why these boys were being anticipated that night, why so many people go out of their way to see them, why they have fan girls who love them or why Seulgi said that she would have fun:

Just seeing them having fun with what they’re doing and loving it is contagious enough to reach a person's heart.

And probably it had touched her heart.


A/N:

Hi my dear readers! Chapter 1 is finally up after the long wait. I'm sorry for the delay. I hope you enjoyed this chapter though. I'll update as soon as I can. ^^

Thank you for reading and subscribing! Comments and upvotes are really appreciated! Love you guys! ^^