6 - Acting weird

A curse of three lifetimes

 

A/N:This chappie is also in the joseon period. Sorry for this overdue update :3 Also, just FYI,the chapters in blue are those in the Joseon period so the language I use will be more different. It will be much much more formal especially because it happens in the Joseon period.

 

 

Daeun's POV

 

I stared at the beautiful hanbok in my hands.I was doing the laundry for the Queen.There was a special lunch today as it was the Queen's birthday. And I,as the laundry maid,had to wash her hanbok.It was made of fine material. Well,afterall,she is THE QUEEN.It was made of fine silk,shipped from Italy,or so I heard. The thread was gold thread and there was fine embroidery on it. I felt it in my hands.It was really beautiful. But me,a mere maid ,wearing this is just a dream!

 

“YAHYAHYAH!”the head maid scolded from behind.I turned around and faced her. “Stop spacing out!Fold the clothing and deliver it to the Queen!”

 

“Yes,head maid,”I sighed. It was hot and humid and I had to walk a long way just to deliver this to the queen. Well,it was my first time meeting the Queen. Usually,I just do the laundry and give it to another maid who delivers it but today,no one is free as some were transferred to the kitchen for making the feast and the only maid left had to fall sick today. Just my luck.

 

I folded the hanbok neatly and headed off.

 

I reached the Queen's room and smiled at the two maids standing on guard at the door.

 

“I have the queen's laundry.”I said.

 

“Ok,please wait.I'll tell her,”one of the maids said and knocked on the door,before entering and closing the door again. I looked at the place.It was grand. Well,I'm not used to this type of environment.I haven't been to any parts of the palace except for the chores department.

 

The maid emerged out of the room and ordered me to go in. I snapped out of my daze and went inside.

 

“Good morning, Queen.”I greeted,keeping my head low.

 

“mhm,”she said,nonchantly.

 

“Jimin,take the clothing. You can go,”she ordered.

 

Another maid,apparently named Jimin, took the hanbok from me and I looked up. Beside the Queen was the Crown Prince. He smiled at me. He actually remembers me...........

 

“Queen mother (A/N: The word langugae I was talking about is the words they use to greet people) , I need a new maid.”His words struck me out of my daze and I immediately turned around to leave.

 

“Wae?”I heard the Queen ask.

 

“Hara isn't happy with the current maid. The current maid was apparently trying to 'seduce' me

“Im Jaebum,watch your tongue!”she scolded,”I'll handpick this one.I'm not going to let my future daughter-in-law be unhappy again,”the queen said in a happy tone.

 

“Actually I already have someone in mind,”

 

That was the last sentence I heard from Prince Jaebum before leaving the room.

 

 

“Daeun,bring this out!”the head maid ordered before hastily shoving the plate of food into my hands.

 

As I said,this part of the palace (East Palace) did not have enough people so,I was helping out at the kitchen. Nope,I'm not cooking.If I was,I would have burnt the whole kitchen down.I'm just helping to serve the dishes.

 

I walked to the place where everyone had gathered. The King and the Queen sat on a platform with a few eunuches and maids fanning them. Prince Jaebum sat beside them although he wasn't on the platform with a girl beside him. She was most probably Hara,the future daughter-in-law the Queen talked about in the morning. In the middle of the whole place,there were people dancing gracefully.

 

According to palace rules,I had to serve people food by their statuses.The King,Queen and Crown Prince were already served food so I had to serve Hara.

 

“Prince Jaebum and Princess Hara,”I greeted as I placed the plate on the side-table.

 

“She's the one,”I heard Prince Jaebum whisper not so softly.

 

Hara eyed me up and down. What's this????

 

“Mhm...she's still ok. She's not very pretty....”I heard Hara comment.I raised an eyebrow before leaving. What is all this ?Why is everyone behaving so weirdly?Is there something wrong with me?

 

I looked at my maid uniform.Everything was alright.I checked my hair.It was neat.I d my face.Nope,I didn't have a broken nose. I shaked the thoughts away and walked off to the kitchen.