Prologue

Free Me From These Chains

You walked down that same familiar path as always, holding your umbrella over your head. The light, soothing sound of the raindrops gently landing on the umbrella filled the moist air. As you looked around, you couldn't quite make out the buildings and structures around you, since the rain blanketed the entire area in a faint white tinge. The gloomy darkness reminded you of that day....

Your mind taunted you, for that small piece of hope was floating around in your head; the possibility that he would return. You'd thought that your mind was playing tricks on you; you kept seeing Junhyung's silhouette in the distance, his body consumed by the water droplets carried by the strong gusts of wind. Even if the sight wasn't real, it was torturing you, beckoning for you to walk towards it. And you were so vulnerable and weak, wanting so bad for it to be him, walked toward it.

As you'd approached, you heard chuckling; and it was in his deep, smooth, velvety voice. The sound of him alone was magnetizing. To see and hear him was a total tease. The figure stayed in place, not taking a single step. It stood completely still, making you believe that it was another illusion. 

You had walked all that way, and it seemed as if you were standing right in front of him. The rain made the atmosphere so thick that you still couldn't see the face of the figure. For all you knew, there might not even be anything there.

"Hello there," you called out to the figure.

"My love," replied the figure in a seductive voice.

"J-Junhyung?," you whispered.

There was no reply, but the dark figure was still there. You slowly moved the umbrella towards the figure. If you could protect the figure from the raindrops, then you could see whether this really was a hallucination.

It was no mirage. The umbrella was now above him. 

You couldn't believe what you were seeing, so to make sure one last time, you reached out a hand slowly, and this would conclude everything. And your hand felt something, warm and soothing. You were ready to cry when your hand was pressed against his chest, feeling the warmth and the beating of his heart. 

Your hands then moved up, caressing his shoulders, then neck, followed by his jawline. You your right index finger up and down his sharp jawline. As your final gesture, you cupped his face in your hands very gently, as if he was something very fragile, capable of disappearing at any second.

"Junhyung," you uttered, mystified. "I missed you so much."  You dove into his warm embrace. 

 

~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

 

"                   ," Kikwang called. "Hello? Wake up!"

You lifted your head and looked around frantically in confusion. And then it hit you. Final conclusion, it was a dream.

"You shouldn't be sleeping in school," stated Doojoon. "I know calculus isn't very fun, but it doesn't mean you gotta nap."

"I was sleeping?," you asked. 

All five of them nodded.

"You've been sleeping for an hour," said Dongwoon simply.

"Were you dreaming?," asked Yoseob, who propped his head up on his hands. "You were muttering strange things in your sleep."

"Yeah," you replied bluntly. "About him."

Their eyes widened.

"Junhyung, of all dreams?," asked Hyunseung.

You gave a small nod.

"I was walking in the rain, and I saw a figure standing in the distance. And it was Junhyung standing there in the plain open space. I was tempted by what I thought was a mirage..... me and my stupid mind."

"I hate to mention it," started Doojoon. "But I'd heard that Junhyung had gotten into an accident recently."

A rush of terror loomed over you.

"Yeah, I heard about it, too," stated Dongwoon.

"What do you think happened?," asked Yoseob.

You kept calm and showed your composure, but on the inside, you were trembling with fear.

"I'd heard that he came back here. But on his way, he'd fell and hit his head. I don't know the whole story."  Donwoon ran his fingers through his hair as a gesture to remember what he'd been told.

"                   ?," asked Kikwang.

You immediately turn your head his way.

"What would you do if you ever saw him again?"

"I don't know," you answered, as you let that question seep in to think through.

"Is there a chance that he's dead?," asked Hyunseung.

"You have the most idiotic questions, hyung," stated Dongwoon, massaging his temples with the index and middle fingertips of both hands.

"Well," started Doojoon. "Deep down inside, we must all admit that there's a chance that he could be....gone...."

There was a long moment of silence, until you broke the awkward atmosphere.

"I don't know why," you pondered. "But I still have that voice inside of me that yearns for his presence. It yearns for him, to a dangerous extent....."

"Even if he were still around, and you two still had another chance at it, he doesn't deserve you," stated Kikwang firmly, yet sincerely.

You felt a warmth creep up to your cheeks, knowing that they'd become crimson.

"Kikwang," called Yoseob. "If you like                   , then just ask her out already."

"Even if I did, I'm not worth her love...."

"I think we have an indirect confession!," cheered Hyunseung.

Dongwoon and Doojoon face-palmed.

"                 , I'm not one to say that. That's just my true opinion. After what'd happened to you twelve years ago, I don't think I could even stand to look at him or even be in the same room as him. He left behind something so precious. But in all honesty, I just want you to be happy."  Kikwang then put his hand on your shoulder and rubbed gently, in a comforting manner.

"Thank you, Kikwang," you mutter, as you looked down into your lap.

"Sorry to interrupt this lovely moment of yours," Yoseob politely interrupted. "But class starts in ten minutes."

"Let's get going," said Doojoon, standing up from his seat.

"Are we meeting for dinner tonight?," asked Dongwoon.

"Yup," you and the others all answered in unison.

"And it'll be on Doojoon," Hyunseung quickly said.

"Me again?," asked Doojoon.

"I'll treat," you offered.

"Let him pay," said Hyunseung. 

"Aish! I'm spoiling all of you.                   doesn't count, since she at least tried to offer. As for you four.... I don't know what to say any more."  Doojoon shook his head, as he took out his wallet and looked inside, making sure that he had enough for all of you.

"We love you, hyung!," Dongwoon cheered in his attempt to make the paying man crack a smile, or at least a grin.

"Whatevers," Doojoon replied with a grin.

"It's somewhat routine," stated Yoseob.

"Okay, okay. I can't argue with all of you."

"Well," began Kikwang. "See you guys later.....                    , let's walk to psychology together."

You nodded at Kikwang.

Everyone waved a hand in goodbye, then parted ways.

 

You and Kikwang walked along in the rain, an awkward feeling amongst the two of you. As he heald an umbrella over the both of you, all that could be heard was the sound of the raindrops falling upon the umbrella, just as it did in your dream and on that day.

"                  ?," Kikwang called to you.

You looked at him, as he looked into your eyes, as if he was trying to figure out what you were thinking.

"Yes?"

"Don't take this seriously, but would you ever be willing to....be with me?"  He then became shy and flustered. He averted his eyes to the pavement that lay ahead, and seemed to be embarrassed.

You took a moment to think about it.

The silence gave Kikwang a notion that you'd reject him.

"It's okay if you don't want to," he admitted solemnly. "Then you can say so."

You paused for a while, until you grasped the words to say to him without hurting him(or as painless as possible).

"Kikwang, you're a wonderful person. You hold the power to make me laugh, make me smile, and make me swoon. But as I've said before, my mind seeks Junhyung. And that feeling lingers. But if there comes a day when those feelings vanish, I'll let you know. But Kikwang, don't take it in the way that I think you will. I think you're a great guy, and that you'd make a great boyfriend. It's just that now isn't the time. But no matter what, you'll always have a part of my heart."

"Th-thanks," he whispered huskily, as if he'd temporarily lost his ability to speak.

You gave a reassuring nod, and wrapped your arms around him momentarily for a quick hug.

As your arms are around him, you see a dark figure in the distance.

It can't be, you wonder. Junhyung?

He was smirking, as it seemed to be appointed to you. It seemed so real, but you didn't give into it.

You fell for it earlier in the dream, you told yourself. Are you going to fall for it again?

You shook off the thought and looked at Kikwang, who seemed to be satisfied.

 

 

After Psychology Class ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

"Kikwang," you call out to him. 

"Yes,                  ?," he replied.

"You can go join the others. I got some stuff to take care of.... Go ahead, I'll catch up with you guys."

Kikwang gave a hesitant nod, but obeyed.

He left with a small waving gesture of a hand and left.

You then walked up to your seat and began to pack your bags.

Why do we have to be learning about love and attraction?, you wondered. The thought made you want to punch something. I want to forget about Junhyung, but learning about this topic doesn't make it any easier.

As you were putting a few textbooks and studyguides into your bag, your personal journal fell out. 

I forgot that this thing even existed, you thought to yourself. I haven't seen this in ages.

You flipped through a few pages....then something fell out of it. 

It was a small piece of paper.

Perhaps a note I wrote a long time ago, or a note from somebody a while back.

But as you examined the piece of paper, yet to be unfoleded, you could simply conclude that this paper wasn't old at all. In fact, it looked like it was from a very recent time.

You'd feared that it was going to be a note from Kikwang. A love letter or something of that sort.

You carefully opened the folded paper, anxious to see what it was.

You read the neat handwriting:

 

I can see you, hear you; but can't approach you. I wish that I was shameless enough to face you and express and explain; but I'm beyond shamed. I'm attracted to you, and nobody else. Your strong scent of roses and lotus is addicting. Your deep, gleaming eyes that can hypnotize me to do anything. If your heart belongs to someone else, then it can't be helped. You're so difficult to read. I know how I feel about you, but I don't know how you feel about me. Do you love me, or hate me? I honestly don't know. Do you want me, or not? All I can say is that I respect your feelings; but just know, I love you as much as I always have.

-You can figure this one out on your own....

 

You sat there in confusion. You still thought that it could have been Kikwang, but he didn't write like this. He didn't really write in a poetic way. Kikwang was more direct and to-the-point.

Maybe it's one of the other guys, aside from Kikwang, as a stupid joke.... Maybe Doojoon? No, he can't write like this either. Hyunseung? No, absolutely not. He's...him.... Yoseob? No, he isn't one to pull a joke like this. Not a serious type of joke anyway.... It could be Dongwoon. He can work majic with his words. He's the only one out of them that can write like this. The emotion and heart put into this note could only have been Dongwoon, from what I could see. The other four aren't as 'advanced' liguistically to write such a thing.....  

The curiosity, thinking, and possibilities were driving you crazy. You had the need to know this instant. So, you decided to call them.

The phone was dialing Kikwang, who's contact was at the top of the 'Favorites' list since it had the most calls and texts between the two of you.

"Hello?," came his voice from the other side of the line.

"Hey, Kikwang," you greeted.

"What's up?"

"Can you put the phone on speaker? This conversation applies to all of you."

"Okay, hold on."  A few seconds passed, until he spoke again. "Okay, you're good to go."

"Okay, thanks." You paused for a bit, then spoke. "Hey, guys. Did any of you touch my journal? Please admit freely, because I'm not upset."

"No," they all answered.

"We wouldn't touch your stuff, only things that belong to someone amongst us," stated Hyunseung honestly.

"Why do you bring it up?," asked Yoseob. "Nothing 'interesting' you're hiding in there, right?"  He then giggled.

"N-no," you answered defensively. "I found a note in there. I thought you guys planted it in my journal, as a joke."

"Our jokes wouldn't involve anything personal," stated Kikwang firmly.

"Only a true joker would take it to that extent," Dongwoon informed.

"Okay, thanks for being honest," you uttered in confusion.

"                   , can you read it to us?," asked Yoseob.

"Y-yeah, sure."  

You read the note, and emphasized the fact that this person didn't add a name, didn't have one.

"Wow," huffed Hyunseung. "That was some deep poem stuff."

"Correction, Hyunseung," said Dongwoon with a sigh. He couldn't stand Hyunseung's horrid vocabulary. "That was quite poetic."

"Yeah, yeah. Okay Mr. Nerd," Hyunseung said in defeat. 

"I think you have a secret admirer," Yoseob declared with a slight bit of doubt.

"Ooh, Kikwang," teased Hyunseung. "You's got competition!" 

The four others were face-palming on the other side of the phone at Hyunseung's use of 'you' and 'is' combined.

"Anyways," you broke through. "I'll be there soon."

"Okay," they all answered.

"Don't keep Kikwang waiting!," Hyunseung blurted. 

"Hyunseung, you idiot," Kikwang shot back.

 

You packed everything and slung your bag on one shoulder, letting it hang on one side.

 

And then you felt a body behind you, and two long, slender yet toned arms wrapped around your body. You trembled, wanting to scream or call for help. But your voice wasn't cooperating. From the situation, you didn't dare turn around. All you knew was that this person was most certainly a male, and a tall one to be more exact. And he had an awfully warm and welcoming embrace, which wasn't something to think when he was doing this to you.

 

"P-please," you whimpered. "Let me go."

 

You felt the guy behind you bringing his head closer to yours.

 

He then whispered in your ear.

 

"                 ," he paused. "I'm back...."

 

 


 

 

A/N ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Hello!! ^_^ I'm here with the first chapter! I hope you guys liked it! I don't know why but I enjoyed writing this better than my last fic(go figures). Now to choose your side: Team Junhyung or Team Kikwang? Whatever you choose, I hope that you've enjoyed reading the first chapter. I will update this as soon as possible. And more drama and tension to come, especially between "You", Junhyung and Kikwang. Please COMMENT, SUBSCRIBE, AND UPVOTE if you enjoyed reading! Thank you! Until next time... <3

-exo_xo_hunhan