A Secret to Hide Forever.

The Red of the Witch
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

[CONTENTID1]If you said you were cold
I would wrap my arms around you. 
If you said you were thirsty I would give you the ocean blue.
I would give you anything: the moon, the stars, the sunset too. 
This heart in my hands I hold out to you.
[/CONTENTID1][CONTENTID2] [/CONTENTID2][CONTENTID3]    As we walked along the path with Chanyeol’s horse following us from behind, our hands were linked together like puzzle pieces that were meant to be. We stopped when we arrived at a store made of antique wooden planks, on top was a sign indicating that it’s a shop for woman’s clothes. I felt his hand leave mine, his attention on his horse now, “stay here Kena. We’ll be back shortly,” he said as he touched the horse’s head. As if the horse understood, she stayed rooted to the spot.

    He wrapped his arm around my shoulder and led me inside the store without any warning beforehand. Inside, there were various types of one piece dresses, skirts, and shirts, hanging on mannequin’s bodies. 

    “Chanyeol-ah!” I heard a woman’s voice call out, “well, it’s been a long time, hasn’t it?” The woman looked in her late 20’s; her hair was tied into a low strict bun, her eyes were cat-like, and her lips were painted soft red. I flinched when she glanced at me, “who's she?”

    “My girlfriend, soon to be my wife.”

    I glanced up at him with wide eyes, “uh-uhm, we’re not-”

    She scoffed, “haven’t seen her around town,” she paused and eyed my ruined dress, “you burnt her dress… am I right?” 

    How did she know..? He rubbed the back of his head nervously, “yeah, that’s why we’re here.” I eyed the two suspiciously. Before I could ask, he answered the question that was inside my brain, “she’s half-mermaid and half-human.” He looked outside the window and presumed it was noon already with the sun not as bright as in morning. “Why don’t you pick some clothes right now?” 

    “But-” 

    “Come, I’ll measure you at the back,” she interrupted me and pulled me along through a door. She let go of my hand when she ushered me to an empty spot where there were nothing to block her way of working. 

    As she was getting her tools, I told her my name, “my name’s Rin.”

    “Mine’s Sunhwa. It’s nice to meet you.”

    She began measuring my height, “if you’re half-mermaid, why don’t you have fins?” I asked curiously like a five-year old.

    “My fins appear when I’m in the water. And when I’m dry, my human legs return,” she answered as she continued working on my dress.

    “Then… Why do you stay here, in this town, when you could be out in the ocean..?”

    I heard her chuckle lightly, “well, aren’t you a curious witch?”

    My eyes widened. It’s a good thing Chanyeol was in this room to hear her… “How did you know I was a witch?”

    She stood up from her bent position after pinning down the last pin on the edge of the fabric. “Mermaids have the ability to look into people’s past.” Sunhwa went back to working, “you did well not telling him that you’re a witch,” she paused before continuing, “don’t tell him.”

    “Why? I have to tell him sooner or later… I plan to tell him when I’m sure that he has feelings for-”

    “Don’t,” she cut me off, the tone of her voice wasn’t a tone of suggestion, it was a tone of warning. “It’s not really my business to let you know about other people’s past so I'm not going to tell you the story, instead I'll let you off with just that warning. Don't.”

    “... Did you look into his memories without consent?”

    She looked up at me, “no. Being the half-mermaid I am, I have no such control of my powers. So I ended up looking into his past without wanting to, like I did with yours.” Sunhwa had a look of disgust on her face, like she just ate a rotten apple. I guess being forced to look at other people's past may have some perks but also some negativity. Happy memories are often clouded by sad memories afterall...

 

    Even after she was done with the measuring and making a long black dress for me, I kept thinking back on what she warned me; to keep my secret hidden, to not tell him.

    “Whoa,” Chanyeol said, breaking me out of my thoughts. I looked up at him, “you look beautiful… I mean," He cleared his throat, smiling casually, "beautiful-er.” He glanced at Sunhwa, “Sunhwa-yah, we’ll come back next week to get the clothes.” She nodded as a response with her gentle smile. He grabbed my hand as he gazed at me with admiration. “Are you hungry?” He asked as he got out of t

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter