Over the Years

Over the Years

 

When Onew meet s, he had seen Taemin's bowl-cut haircut, and his adorable smile. Minho's strong gaze but quiet persona, Jonghyun's easy going grin and his endless skinship, Key's motherly instincts and his overly loud laugh. He remembers thinking how far all five of them were going to get with "SHINee". That had been years ago... Yet every now and then Onew would stop and look at the boys that he had come to consider his best friends, almost brothers. He would take a good look at each of them and he had to admit that he was surprised and impressed with how each one had grown over the years.

Physically, Taemin had changed the most but that was something Onew expected since Taemin was the maknae, the youngest. The boy hadn't fully develop at the time of their debut. His shy but beautiful smile still shined everyday, even when he was close to exhaustion, and that made Jinki happy. Taemin had been the one to work the hardest especially since some people started to criticize his vocal skills. Onew remembered that managing school and everything that he had to do as a trainee was tiring. Sometimes, he wanted to forget that Taemin was managing school, being an idol, and taking composition, and vocal lessons aside from traveling from country to country.

Minho had been the shock for Onew. The quiet boy that he had met in their newly assigned practice room had disappeared at some point in time; no one was able to tell exactly when. The rapper had slowly opened up to the cameras and to the idea of teasing others on TV and enjoying the recordings. Minho had become clever and playful. Onew suspected that Taemin was involved with that change since the maknae was always playing with and looking for the rapper. Minho cured Taemin's loneliness and Taemin had become Minho's little brother which he had come to care for and protect.

 

Kibum had changed very little with the years, he did change. The younger boy had grown a tendency of taking care of the other 4 SHINee members to the point where he was known as the “umma” of the group. Little by little, the other 4 members relied on Key more and more. Onew was very surprised when he was told that Key would be SHINee's second rapper but after hearing the recorded product, he couldn't help but look at Key and wonder if the was anything that boy could not do well (aside from most sports).

 

When Onew thought of Jonghyun, he could do nothing but smile. Some Key's personality had rubbed off on the lead singer. There were times that Jonghyun unconsciously acted just like Kibum did .And more often than not, when the singer was challenged, his competitive side would surface and it was almost as bad as when Minho was challenged. Some of the members had been a little weird out by the amount of touching the boy did but suddenly, it seemed that Jonghyun picked up on it. The skinship did not stop but the amount of it reduced and directed to the (sole) member that had been comfortable with it since the beginning.

 

Onew couldn't but wonder what would be different if they had not affected each other. They had changed and adapted to each other without even noticing. Onew smiled as he looked around the New York streets to find s close to him and that put him to ease.