Chapter II

Change Marker

“Lady?” she tried to call me, laughing a little bit.

“I’m sorry, I…” I couldn’t even finish my sentence, so I just laugh trying to mask my embarrassment.

“It’s okay.” she quickly said, making me thank her mentally for any more embarrassment I was about to make. “So…” it looked like she was waiting something from me, but I couldn’t even think.

“What?” I asked making her laugh again, hence, making me embarrassing me to the point where I wanted to smack myself with a broom.

“My scarf…” she arched her eyebrows.

“Oh…” I realizes what she wanted so I gave a quickly look around hoping to find the beautiful girl’s scarf. At that time, I didn’t even think about the clock. “I don’t know where it is.” A gave her a small apologetically smile, even though I wasn’t the one to blame.

“I know a really good coffee house near here” she change the subject dramatically making me confuse about what was happening. “If you want to make me company…” she didn’t ask, nor demanded to me to go with her, but for some reason, I wanted to go with her.

“Sure.” I smiled shyly because I was actually going with her.

I don’t know if was the stories that my dad had told me, or if was the smooth smell of her perfume, the reason that I was going to some place – that I had no idea where it was – with someone I’d just met.

“Can I ask your name?” I heard her hesitant voice after some minutes in silence.

“Jung Jessica.” I saw her smile. One of the first things I have notice about her is that or she was a very smiling person, or for some motive she was way too happy today.

“I don’t know if you heard, but I’m Kwon Yuri.” She said amusingly.

“Why wouldn’t I listen?”

“I don’t know, maybe because it didn’t look like you were paying attention when I told you my name.” I felt my face heating due her commentary, and probably she noticed.

“I’m sorry about that.” I murmured and while I was trying to control the red on my face, she stopped in front of a small, but comforting, coffee.

Of course from the moment she opened the door for me, the red came back to my face, going even to my ears.

Yuri seemed to know good part of the staff, considering that she said hi to most of them. At the same time she was making the order, my cellphone vibrated indicating a new message, I let her decide what we were going to eat or drink while a sent an Ok message to my father without giving too much information about the situation. I didn’t want him to create hug expectative about it, the same way I didn’t want to have them.

I had no idea of what I was supposed to do there, so I just answered the questions she made to me and sometime, I tried to ask something about her. Even after the arrival of ours cappuccino and pies from different flavor she continued to control the conversation, not that I found that something bad.

“Do you want some?” she offered her fork with her chocolate pie to me and I shyly accepted before open my mouth and got the food with it. It was like I was some kind of teenager blushing after some indirect kiss.

I felt my mind divided in two parts. The first one was the teenage part on the first date with her first love and the other part was the one that found everything I was feeling ridiculous.

“Thanks” I tried to stop my internal discussion. Without saying anything, o got part of my strawberry pie and offered to Yuri. She snapped my fork, making my attention divert to fast enough to see her her lips to take off the excess of pie.

“Wah, you have this watch too.” she said making me take my attention of her lips. She looked at my pulse where the watch I was using to disguise the clock I was born with. “Wait, there’s something wrong with it” she held my pulse carefully and I couldn’t stop myself from realize how good her touch feel.

“What?” I asked trying to hide these thoughts from myself, I had no idea of what would be my future, and I couldn’t get attached with her. Yuri slid the real watch upwards and focused on the one that was on my skin.

“It isn’t counting backwards.” She looked me in the eyes. “That’s how usually works, right?”

“Yeah, I suppose so.” I said looking to the clock, I don’t think what would happen if I stayed looking to those black iris. The clock was at 00h48m15s.

“It wasn’t long ago that started to count forwards.” She commented and I just nod full of shame.  “Something happened forty eight minutes and twenty two seconds ago?” she asked looking again to the clock.

“I don’t know” I smiled shyly. She may think that I didn’t notice, but I did felt her sliding her fingers thru my hand so she could hold it with the same tenderness that she hold my pulse.

“Were you scared of what was supposed to happen after the final countdown?” even though I wasn’t looking at her, but at some point of the coffee, I could feel the smile on her voice.

“I guess you can put in that way.” I got my courage back, and looked at her again. If people did believe that I was intimidating, why couldn’t I, at least pretend in front of Yuri?

“Well, you’re still here, this is a good signal.” Finally I saw the huge smile of hers. “Qian will be happy to hear about this.”

“Who is Qian?” I was considering take my hand of hers, thinking that maybe, that beautiful lady, already had someone.

“My cousin from the Chinese part of the family.” She really looked happy for her cousin. “I mean, only her father’s family is Chinise, but you know when you aunt marries and then her husband start to be part of the family?”

“Actually I don’t, my father doesn’t have brothers and I didn’t get to meet too much of my mother’s family, just one of her sister” I gave a small laugh at her confuse face. “But I got what you mean.” She looked relieved and then she held my hand a bit stronger.

“Qian doesn’t like when we talk about this clock, she always get crazy about” she said with a small smile. She looked really close with her cousin. “At least it looks like you deal with this quite good.”

“Why you say that?”

“It doesn’t look like you spent hour crying because of it.” She shrugged. “Not today at least.”

“Your cousin does that?” how old is this girl?

“I think I’ve got two or more videos of her crying in my cellphone” she gave a laugh about it making me smile. “You can’t even tell that she’s almost twenty-eight years old”

“Twenty-eight years?” my eyes popped out.

“Almost twenty-eight.” She corrected me and continued laughing even more because of my reaction.

Yuri held my hand thru the whole conversation, neither when she was supposed to pay the cappuccinos and to the pies she did it. Before I could even think about get my wallet so I could pay, she assured me that she would pay and turned to the waitress saying to put on her name.

While we exited the coffee, still holding hands, I thought I’ve seen the staff looking at us while smirking provokingly at us, except for the lady on the balcony, she just really looked happy.

 


 

Author’s note

 

I’m really sorry if this chapter is like crap, I tried tho, I hope you guys don’t dislike as much I do. I’m sorry any mistakes and yes, there’s going to be one more chapter :)