Chapter I.

Change Marker

I had this weird clock in my pulse, just like a lot of others had. But no one understood it meanings. Some would say that in the end of the countdown, you would die; others said that you would disappear. But, me? I had no idea.

Nothing seemed to make sense to me, but, if I had to choose a history, definitely would be the one that my father once told me.

He said that his clock got in the end of the countdown when he had put his eyes on the only person that he would ever love and even though he had almost died in that moment, he believed that this was the real meaning behind this thing. He is a fool in love.

And no, she wasn’t my mother. Actually it’s thanks to this woman that he’s still alive. To make a long story short, she practically sacrificed herself because of him. She was hospitalized after several fractures and infections. She died two months after the accident. And that was enough time to my father to fall in love with her.

He says that sometimes the destiny works on mysterious ways. It was his fate to find the woman of his life, and then, she’s died months later. Weird? Maybe. I didn’t understood why would he foresee the moment that he’d fallen in love, to see her die sometime later.

But neither me, nor he could think in something better than this. I had my own theories, but nothing I could be sure of it. The only thing I was sure of it, was from my fear to have the same destiny as him, even if my destiny was something acceptable as his.

He’d married with another woman. Yes, my mother. Even if it wasn’t with the woman of his life, they were happy, just like him, he wasn’t the love of her life. So when they got married was a silent consent that at least they wouldn’t be alone for the rest of their lives.

I came from this kind of fake relationship. Fake because it didn’t have any love on it, at least not the lovers kind. Anyway, this didn’t affect me, even if I was fruit from this wedding; both loved me and took care of me as parents usually does.

My first memory of this weird clock is from when I was four. If I record, at that time I had more than six thousands days to the final countdown. By the counts, I had about one hundred and forty four thousand hours until the clock stops. I was still a child and you know what I did? I forgot whatever this was, I didn’t had patience to know what this means and eventually time has passed.

I was okay, until my puberty came. My – not that much – lovely years of youth. I had some flings – if I can call like that –, some flirting, but none serious relationship. Who would want to date someone that according to the legends was about to explode? I even tried to convince some of the dates that I had that this didn’t mean anything. But neither Taeyeon, that was the most rational among all of them, accepted. I was ing mad with this clock, yet, I let it be. No more humiliation.

At that time I made sure to ignore this thing on my pulse. I didn’t want to know about this thing that ruined every chance that I had of being in a relationship.

Fortunately, one day, I started to pay attention again to it before it hit the zero.

I was almost twenty when I decided that I was too old to still act like a kid towards something that it would definitely mark something important in my life. And even if in the end, nothing happens, I wouldn’t lost that much if I spend a little of my time on this.

It was on my twenty birthday that I noticed something crucial, if I can say like this. At five pm of April 18th the clock showed exactly three hundred and sixty five days, or eight thousand seven hundred and sixty hours. In exactly one year after that, whatever the clock was counting, was marked to happen.

My father noticed as well and because of this he made me go out of our house in the day I was turning twenty-one. He said that I wasn’t going to meet the love of my life inside our house on a birthday party that was only celebrated by the two of us, and by the memory of my dead mother. Even if I didn’t believe that much that I would actually find someone, I got out of the house because of him and maybe I wouldn’t find this person.

I thought in some decent place for that “meeting” between the two of us. None actually pleased me, so, with so many alternatives, I had to choose the one that seemed the most reasonable one.

And here I am, sitting on the bench of some public square waiting the final countdown so I can finally find out what this is all about.

Whatever this is, nothing that I do would help. I couldn’t go after, nor look out in the whole square. The destiny is stubborn, and it won’t change.

I was playing with my fingers on my thigh while looking at the clock. I could accept that nothing that I do would help me, but that doesn’t mean that I wasn’t anxious about it. The number seemed to change slow as ever, I felt like I passed more twenty-one years sitting here.

When the clock marked 00h00m01s, my heart stopped. Everything around me stopped to what looked like an eternity and I only woke up when I felt a soft touch on my shoulder.

I closed my eyes and took a deep breath before turn in the direction of what got my attention.

“Hi, can you tell me if I let my scarf on this bench?” it was a gorgeous brunette. Beautiful. Tall. With a wonderful smile, she had dark eyes and probably my future on those nice and soft hands. “It has my name written on it.” She tried to explain, but I didn’t understand anything that wasn’t her beauty. “Kwon Yuri.” I smiled with her.

Her name it’s going to be beautiful on my wedding ring.

 

 

 

Author's Note:

Sorry… I tried tho… If anyone find some mistakes, I’d like to know, so please hehehe