ch.5

The Wedding Agreement

  Minseok has known a fact that her Father won’t look at her the same way he does to Sehun since they were kids. When little Sehun wanted to eat chicken but Minseok wanted pizza her Dad would buy chicken, telling her that he will bring pizza next time, but next time never happened. When Minseok wanted to play in the playground but Sehun wanted to buy a new toy car, her Father would told the driver to drive them to the toy store.

When she asked her Mommy about it, she would hug her tight and kissed her head.

“Your Father loves you the same, Minnie ah. He’s just excited that now he can do manly things with Sehun. You wouldn’t like to go play baseball with Daddy, right?”

Minseok just shook her head and let her Mommy cuddled her. She always liked the warmth her Mom emitted and she’s happy that her Mom liked to pamper her. Perhaps, if she couldn’t get her Dad’s attention, she still had her Mom.

Little Minseok then learned to hate her little brother, she tried to, at least. She tried to not speaking to him, not sharing the cookies with him, or telling Mommy about how Sehun dirtied his clothes. But Sehun was persistent; he was just a little boy who adores his big sister so much. So he followed her everywhere, crying loudly when Minseok needed to go to school and always asked her to play with him. He always smiled at her and shared everything with her. Minseok failed in her attempt to hate Sehun at the end.

The older she got, the more she understand that the love her Dad’s giving Sehun is not all that true. Everytime Sehun showed their parent his school report the only thing his Father said is “You are going to make me so proud, Sehun. You are going to make Giant become the best. You have to always be number one, okay.”

The more she saw and heard the more she pitied her brother. Sehun too, eventually found out about this and it brought lots of change in him. Minseok saw how Sehun became more violent, more rebellious and sulkier with times flying.

Their dad pressured him to be like him, to follow his path. Minseok actually has a knack for business and she even enrolled in business school but after graduating her Dad only lets her help in the company for a while and then silently told her that it didn’t match her. So she backed down, opt to be with her Mom. But Sehun got different case, if she’s treated like a Barbie doll, doing nothing and be a perfect daughter who’s a good cook and good with house chores, Sehun is brought to all kinds of meetings. Their Dad shows him off every where, setting the goals he wants to achieve thru Sehun. He doesn’t even realize Sehun doesn’t like doing all of that, doesn’t even realize Sehun has different dream. It’s either he doesn’t realize it, or he pretends not to.

She tries to at least always cheer him up, stocking up his refrigerator, buying him new clothes and even cooking him food. She knows Sehun can’t cook to save his life. So, she goes to him apartment at least once a week and welcomes him home with home cooked meal and a smile.

This time too, she’s come to eat dinner with her little brother. Sehun is currently washing the dishes and she’s on his side, drying it. She’s heard about the wedding, hell, everybody’s heard about that already. After Sehun and Jongdae’s met, it doesn’t take long for both families to hold an official family meeting and agreed on the date. They decided the sooner the better, much to her Dad’s delight. In no less than a month she doesn’t need to cook for him, Jongdae will be there instead. She is actually very happy for him.

“I’m happy for you.”

Sehun eyes her from washing his hand and Minseok puts down the last plate on its place.

“For what?”

“For your wedding, of course.” She chuckles and follows him with her eyes when he walked to the refrigerator taking out two cans of beer.

“You are just happy because you don’t need to cook for me anymore.”

Sehun scowls and opens one can and offers it to Minseok. Minseok just grins and leans her back to the cabinet behind her.

“That too.” She laughs seeing how he frowns more. “But, really, I am truly happy for you.”

 Her smile emits the same warmth her Mom has and Sehun really likes it when his sister smiles like this. He replies with a small smile too, but thinking what’s behind the wedding, he can’t help but frowns again.

“You do realize what this wedding means, right?” Minseok nods. “Then, you are still happy for me?”

Minseok puts down her beer and comes closer to him, craning her neck so she can see him in the face. She holds his hand, the same smile still etching on her face.

“I know what it all means, but aside from all of those things Father wants, I am still happy because this means you will have a space to breathe. Dad wouldn’t want to look bad in front of his new in law.  So he at least won’t bother you that much anymore. No more ordering you around.” Minseok playfully adds “At least not when Jongdae’s around, so you have to keep her by your side”

Sehun puts down his beer and bear hugs his sister.

“I hope you can have some space to breathe too, Noona.”

Minseok lets him go and walks toward his living room, looking for her bag. She laughs at Sehun’s comment.

“I’ve always have space, Sehun. That’s all I have, space. I kind of want a little but pressure but what can I say, Dad doesn’t want me to dirty my pretty hand.”

Minseok might say this playfully but Sehun knows deep down, she really means it. Minseok is treated like a glassed doll by their Dad. Their Dad think woman has to stay at home, doing womanly tasks, arranging flowers, cooking, just sit tight at home. For their dad, a son is more profitable than a daughter.

Minseok is no less pitiful than he is. The only thing stopping them from giving up everything and just run away is their Mom. Their Mom has been sick for years, she’s got a weak heart and lately she’s diagnosed with cancer. Sehun used to rebel to his family, screaming at his dad, dyeing his hair, getting tattoo and piercings and the last stunt was running away from home. But it turned out bad, their Mom collapsed and she was in comma state for a week. The moment she woke up, she asked for her kids first.

Please, don’t leave me like that again, Sehun ah. Don’t you love me anymore? Can’t you be a little bit civil to your Dad? I don’t want to die seeing my family getting ruined. Please promise me.”

 Minseok knows up till now, Sehun still feels guilty about that. And this is the greatest weapon for their Dad to just order them around. Minseok turns back to Sehun, scarf done and bags on her hand.

“I’m leaving, don’t drink too much, okay?”

Sehun holds her hand. “Don’t leave yet, I’ll take you home later. Just stay a little more, talk to me.”

Minseok laughs and at times like this, she is reminded with little Sehun following her around the play ground. She puts down her bag.

“What do you want to talk about, then?”

Sehun keeps quiet for a while and thinking. He then just blurts out what’s bothering him since the meeting with Jongdae.

“Kim Jongdae is weird, I don’t think I can live with her.”

“What kind of weird? Zitao weird? Because that’s also what you said about Zitao but you two end up doing lots of things”

Sehun strongly shakes his head, waving his hand in front of Minseok.

“Not Zitao weird, no one can compare to her. Jongdae is just…. normal weird.”

“Weird is never normal, Sehun. Actually, she’s quite nice.”

“How can you be so sure? Do you know what she told me when we first met?”

“I am actually in contact with her, she is pretty nice. Aren’t you in contact with her?” Sehun just scoffs. “I am judging you so hard right now. She is going to be your wife, be a bit more excited won’t you.”

“You talk like she is excited for the wedding.” Minseok nods vigorously.

“Actually, she is. She called me this morning asking whether I want to come to the bridal shop tomorrow. And because you are the groom I suppose you should come too.”

Minseok eyes him seriously and Sehun turns away.

“I have to meet important client, tomorrow.” I am not invited.

Minseok quietly pays attention to his face, trying to find out whether he really doesn’t care or upset Jongdae didn’t call. Minseok laughs and shakes her head. She would never understand what he is thinking. She grabs her bag once more.

“Time’s up! I’m going now and no you don’t need to drive me, Mr. Jung is already downstairs.” She hugs him the last time and waves. “Sweet dream, Brother.”

*****

Sehun is in the middle of meeting when Jongdae call him to come to some bridal shop in 30 minutes. It’s not out of spite that Sehun hangs up and decides to come 2 hours later. It is not because Jongdae calls him the last minute for it, he is a just a busy person who has lots to deal with.

When he saunters to the bridal shop 2 hours later, he finds out Jongdae and Minseok are sipping some kind of tea in the VIP waiting room. He sits next to Minseok and when then girls realize he’s there he’s awarded with glares.

“Great, you finally honor us with your mighty presence.” Jongdae spites at him, not caring whether his sister is there or not, she is just so upset.

“You should have called if you are going to be this late, Sehun. Jongdae’s Mom was here, our Mom, too.” Minseok scolds him but Sehun just shrugs.

“There were important clients.”

“And I clearly told you that if I call, you come immediately. My mom was upset. Good thing Baekhyun and Kyungsoo distract her to go check the caterer, if not you won’t be able to sleep tight tonight.”

Minseok clicks her tongue. “You’ve gain enemy of your in law, wrong move, brother, wrong move.”

Sehun raises his eyebrow at Minseok, surprised seeing how she’s so playful today. She is usually a little serious, especially with people she doesn’t know yet.

“Okay, are you two double teaming me? You are my sister.”

“Well what can I say, I am charming.” Instead of Minseok, Jongdae answers him. The girls laugh and really, is this Jongdae effect or Minseok is being totally weird today?

Jongdae then stands up, clearing and makes Sehun looks up at her.

“Now you are here, I am going to show you my choice. I’ve already chose 2 dresses, you choose one of them. Also, I’ve chosen your tux as well.”

Jongdae asks the staffs to bring out the dresses she’s chosen. Jongdae then looks expectantly at him, waiting. He has no idea which one is the better choice or which one Jongdae likes better.

“Hmm… the left one looks nice.”

“Are you sure?”

Jongdae asked and Sehun thinks Jongdae’s smiles get scarier a little. He instantly knows that he chooses wrong.

“The right one, yeah right one totally will look good on you.”

Jongdae claps her hand, satisfied. She tells the employee about her choice and Sehun is left feeling confused. If she’s already chosen her dress why does she need to question him? Well, that’s another odd thing about Jongdae.

“Why don’t you try it on for the last time, Jongdae?” Minseok suddenly announces and Jongdae looks at her smiling face. Minseok turns her attention to Sehun instead. “You should try your tuxedo, too.”

Sehun doesn’t want to but Jongdae is already gasping, saying that it’s such a good idea. Jongdae turns to the employee and the employee turns to Minseok and Sehun, bowing.

“I’ll close the curtain, then. For the groom, the changing room is on the left, there will be a male employee helping you.”

With that Sehun drags his feet to the changing room, frowning to the bowing employee who offers him the tux. Sehun looks at the clothes, still hanging loosely on the mannequin and stares. Jongdae has a nice taste. It’s a black modern cut with a grey vest and white shirt. It is complete with a bow tie.

Sehun changes his clothes without much trouble, but he actually hates the bow tie, he keeps on touching it when he got out and Minseok ends up slapping his hand away.

“Don’t do that, you’ll ruin it.” She sizes up Sehun and smiles warmly, “Jongdae has a nice taste. I can’t believe that you are going to get married.” She hugs him suddenly, knocking his breath. “I am so happy right now.”

“Now you are going to ruin the clothes.”

He rarely whines but this is MInseok and she’s seen the worst of him.

“Wow, you are such a baby to your sister.”

There’s a laugh behind him and Minseok gasp. He turns back and there’s Jongdae, standing there in her wedding dress, in her pretty wedding dress. Sehun kind of gaping stupidly at her, she looks so pretty. Sehun didn’t really pay attention to the dress before because he’s busy avoiding Jongdae’s glare but now he realizes, it is a better choice. The gown is big and fluffy and Jongdae’s bare shoulder is so pretty. Jongdae is twirling in her gown and Minseok is already there telling how pretty she is while Sehun is still stuck, foot heavy and mouth dry. He is just staring. He keeps staring until Jongdae looks at him, asking his opinion. Minseok drags him closer and now that he’s closer he can see Jongdae’s pretty collarbone clearly.

“So what do you think?” Jongdae eagerly said. For someone who got into an arranged married she looks way to happy.

“Aren’t you going to freeze later with your shoulder bare like that? It’s still winter.”

Jongdae’s smile turns to a scoff. “We have indoor ceremony, what do I need to afraid of. As usual, you are so rude.”

Sehun’s neck itches so much. That damned bow tie. He is scratching his neck in front of Jongdae and perhaps she finds that’s really disgusting from the way her face scrunch. But Sehun never expect her to pull him closer and fix his damned bow tie. Because of she’s standing on a platform, her face is right in front of Sehun now and it totally distracts him.

“You can’t ruin the tie like that!”

Jongdae is busy fixing his tie that she doesn’t realize Sehun’s gaze on her. Sehun with his foul mouth really can’t stand awkward situation.

“For someone in an arranged marriage, you look weirdly so happy”

Jongdae stops what she is doing and finds Sehun’s face close to her. She frowns but gets back to fix his cuff and tie.

“Just because this is an arrange marriage it doesn’t mean I can’t enjoy it. I don’t want a frown etch on my face for the rest of my life. If I am going to do it, I’ll do it my way. I’ll make sure to enjoy every tidbits of it.” She straightens his shirt and looks at him in the eye, hands gripping his shirt. “I am not some damsel in distress who would cry over this little matter. So get it in your mind, Oh Sehun, when we get married, we are going to do it my way. If you want to frown, do it on your own, while I milk every little joy I can get.”

They look at each other’s eyes and Sehun finds the determination in her eyes, so carefree and determined. She looks like she is not afraid of anything and her only goal is to find her joy in this agreement they have.

They hear a click and look back to Minseok’s grinning face. Jongdae stands straight and raises her eyebrow.

“What was that, Unnie?”

“Oh, do continue, you two look so good like that. Keep it up and you’ll be the happiest couple in no time.” She laughs while texting. “I am sending the picture to Mom, okay. She will be happy.”

Sehun’s heard the word happy too many times lately and it bothers him. The people around him are finding their happiness, while his own seems to have crushed long time ago. Does he have any courage to find it again?

*****

True to her words, Jongdae really does take care of the wedding mostly by herself, with the help of her Mom and her two friends, Baekhyun and Kyungsoo. And she also calls Sehun so many times just to go here and there. One time to pick flowers, other time to try some menus for the wedding and the most ridiculous one is to the jewelry store where Jongdae just point at one ring and tell him that she wants that ring for the wedding. Sehun’s left upset because he’s already chosen different pair and he’s planning on taking Jongdae to see it the other time.

“I told you, I’ve chosen the rings. We’ll pick it up tomorrow, if you want to see it.” Jongdae crosses her arm, a scowl on her face. Beside her, Baekhyun stands with the same pose.

“Then you should have told me sooner. The wedding is in two weeks and I kept on thinking you won’t even buy me a ring because you never mention it.”

“Yeah, you should have told her, first. It’s your fault, Sehun.”

Sehun glares at Baekhyun. He really wants to tell her to just off.  He can’t say he likes the older girl because, for god’s sake she’s always everywhere with Jongdae and always so keen on finding his ‘mistakes’. Sehun scoffs, he feels a headache coming and it’s not even two yet and he has tons of files to review and signs, but here he is, in the middle on jewelry store, arguing with two girls openly. People who see them will think that Sehun’s marrying both of them.

“Of course there will be rings, I’ve prepared it on my own-“

“No. you can’t! It’s my wedding and it’s going to be my ring, so you have to tell me about it.”

Jongdae is stomping her feet like a little girl and the store’s employees are now staring at them. Sehun hates being humiliated.

“Calm down, okay. You should just accept the ring when I gave it to you in the altar-“

Jongdae and Baekhyun gasp. Sehun hates being cut off.

“Can you believe this guy, Baek?” Jongdae scandalously asked and Baekhyun shakes her head.

“I can’t believe he’ll be your husband in two weeks. He is so dense.”

Sehun kind of want to strangle Baekhyun.

“Can I talk to you for a minute? Just you.” Sehun emphasize, looking directly at Baekhyun and the older girl rolls her eyes, walking away from them.

Jongdae sits on the couch prepared and Sehun sits next to her. She doesn’t even bother looking at him.

“What do you want?”

Sehun sighs, massaging his temple. If this is the picture of his marriage, he thinks he’ll prefer not coming home.

“Are you always this y or what?”

“Excuse me?”

Jongdae looks at him, feeling offended but Sehun is not one to feel guilt so easy. Sehun stares back at her with the same hard look.

“I am not your boyfriend or something like that. We don’t know each other it’s just unfortunate that we have to get married, so I tell you this. You cannot order me around like I am your boy toy.”

Jongdae frowns but say nothing. Sehun’s got a point, they are not dating, they don’t know about each other aside from names, they don’t even hang out together if there’s no marriage things include. Maybe, she is crossing the line. She looks away from Sehun’s glare and sighs. She stands up.

“You are right. I am crossing the line. Just don’t forget to bring the rings, I don’t want to be a ringless bride on my wedding.” Jongdae said, eyes avoiding Sehun. “Well, I’ll be going then.”

Jongdae walks away from Sehun, leaving him still glaring. The store’s employee looks at him, like he’s done something wrong but no, he hasn’t. Jongdae is crossing the line and he just wants to make that sure. He stands up, straightening his clothes. An employee approaches him.

“Excuse me, Sir.” The girl said and Sehun stares blankly at her.

“What should we do bout the ring your fiancée chose?”

Sehun eyes the employee who offers the ring box to him.

“Just cancel the ring.”

“Don’t you want to see the rings, first? It seems like your fiancée really like it.” The employee eagerly pushes the box to Sehun and what the is this woman problem? Sehun loudly exhales and motions for the box. The annoying sales woman opens the box and Sehun is staring blankly at it.

It’s a very simple ring, just white band with little diamond in the middle. It’s so different from what Sehun’s prepared. His Dad told him to choose a ring with the most expensive and biggest diamond. He did exactly just that. But here he is, staring at the most simple ring he’s ever seen and he wants to laugh.

“Is this the most expensive in here?” Sehun asked, feeling like there must be something else beside this very simple ring.

“No, Sir. Do you want to see the most expensive one, then?”

The woman happily offered but Sehun shakes his head. Sehun stares at rings display and points at one ring with a big pink diamond on it.

“Which one do you like for your wedding? This one?” He points at the pink diamond and then at the rings Jongdae chose. “Or this one?”

The sales woman looks surprised at first but then she smiles kindly.

“The big diamond is just for show, to tell others how capable my groom is.”

Sehun raised his eyebrow and just stares.

“What’s that mean? Aren’t you going to be happy with some big diamond on your hand?”

“I would, but if the diamond’s that big I have to take it off when I take a bath or when I sleep. I would like to wear my wedding band everytime and I think your fiancée thinks like that too. She looks so happy when she chose the rings.”

Sehun is left dumbfounded because why the hell Jongdae wants to wear the ring everytime? Is she really that happy just to be married? Doesn’t it matter for her about whom she’s going to marry?

“So, should I wrap the rings or just put it back, Sir?”

Sehun feels kind of weird because the woman smiles as if knowing Sehun’s internal debate. He touches the rings, looking at it and the meaning behind those bands.

“I guess you can wrap it.”

The sales woman grins at him, telling him to wait for a moment and he sags on the couch again. What the hell has he done? Now, Jongdae will be so delighted getting two rings and he’s left confused and anxious.


Who's excited for the wedding??? Jongdae sure is.lol.

I love you, my dear readers.

D