Final

Coincé
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

The sun blazed from the cloudless azure sky down to the roof of the van. The heat and humidity was record breaking, one could fry eggs on the road and perspiration flowed from Kyungsoo like tears that would never stop even though the car's ac is already on full blast. Kyungsoo felt small beads of sweat form on her forehead so she grabbed the soft, pink towel from her lap, eyes never leaving the screen of her phone. She slowly dabbed the towel on her forehead down to her cheeks and finally her neck until she suddenly exclaimed in frustration, making everyone in the van jump in surprise, "My phone is almost five percent!"

Her cousin, Minseok, looked at her with his eyes narrowed, his back leaned on the seat beside Kyungsoo, "Hey, what are you doing?"

"My phone is about to run out of battery," she cried, waving her phone in front of Minseok's face in distress. Everyone in the van looked at her weirdly before turning to whatever they were doing. "Does anyone of you have an extra battery?"

"Nah."

"Eyyy."

"Don't even have a phone."

"I'm not bringing it, sorry."

She groaned at the answers of her cousins before she halfheartedly turned off her phone, not wanting it to drain its battery any further. She shoved the phone inside her pink polka dotted bagpack and snatched the bottle of juice from Minseok's grasp.

"Hey!" the elder protested. His eyes widened is surprise when he saw Kyungsoo twist the cap of the bottle. He reached out his arm, the neck pillow he had around his neck bumped the side of Kyungsoo's cheek as he tried to get back the bottle from the younger but she was fast to uncap it and shove the bottle's lips into . He looked at her with exaspiration. "Aunty! Kyungsoo took my favorite drink!" he called out from behind Mrs. Do and his mom who were sitting in the second row.

The two women who were happily chatting turned their heads simultaneously towards them, both sharing the same look. "Let her be, Minseok. She's on her period," Mrs. Kim had said as she glanced at the teens behind them before the two of them went back to chatting, not even minding the hot weather since they're too immensed in talking with each other.

Minseok and Kyungsoo frowned at what Mrs. Kim had said. Kyungsoo just shrugged it off and smiled victoriously to herself before chugging the whole contents of the bottle. She let out a loud burp, sheepishly smiling right after while Minseok turned grumpy beside her. The elder had his arms wrapped around his chest, his eyes were shut and his brows were knitted together as he remained on his seat. It was the last of his favorite juice that he brought for their trip! He would have punched Kyungsoo right in the face if she wasn't a girl.

You see, everyone in their family thinks that Kyungsoo is the best daughter in the world, but for Minseok she's the most evil person he had ever known and he doesn't understand why no one else beside him can see that. Everyone sees Kyungsoo as a fluffy ball of candies and rainbows, all smiles and squishiness but what they didn't know that behind those pretty, innocent eyes lies a spawn of Satan.

Kyungsoo tossed the now empty bottle on the floor of the vehicle beside her feet. She noticed that their van wasn't moving so she craned her neck forward to see what was happening. Their van had four rows of seats and she was seated at the last row beside the window. She lifts her off the seat, wide eyes scanning around as she took in what was going on around them.

Her nicely shaped black brows slowly furrowed in confusion as soon as she saw that they were stuck in a long line of cars, not understanding what in the world is happening. It was the first time she saw a traffic as heavy as this, and being stuck in it doesn't sound so appealing to her. She saw her uncle, Mr. Kim who was driving, had his head stuck out of the window to peer as he hit the horn once, twice. She looked around and saw the other drivers doing the same but more furiously.

"Minseok!" she tapped her cousin on the shoulder repeatedly but there were no any responses. Her upper lip twitched in annoyance as she glared at the elder. The goodboy's pissed off huh? She shifted her gaze to her dad instead and called the man. The man didn't quite hear her probably because of her loud cousins who were chatting animatedly and the loud beeping of horns outside. "Dad!" she screamed at the top of her lungs, successfully getting the man's attention this time and everyone else's. Everyone inside the vehicle stopped to look at her again, even the unresponsive Minseok awhile ago looked over her too. "What happened? Why are we not moving?"

"I heard from the man beside us that there was a quite serious accident few kilometers ahead of us," her dad explained, the other people inside their vehicle momentarily stopped to listen to his explanation.

"Really? Is everyone alright? Is there anyone who died?" Kyungsoo's mom had asked, concern obviously painted in her face.

"As I've said, it was quite serious so we don't know yet. Lets just wait for the news," Mr. Do smiled at his wife before he turned to look ahead again, "I think it will take an hour or two before they can clear the damages." Everyone fell silent, probably thinking that they'll be going to get stuck in this traffic mess for a long time. 

"Oh," Minseok's little sister muttered. And not a single word was heard after that.

After a few seconds of silence, everyone except Kyungsoo and Minseok began talking again like crazy people. Their parents started talking and laughing while their cousins shouted and laughed maniacally. The van was filled with loud laughters and chattings that the people beside them probably think by now that they've gone crazy.Kyungsoo grimaced at everything while Minseok sighed as he facepalmed.

The elder had put on his earphones and played his phone's music. Kyungsoo wanted to share too because her phone was shut few minutes ago so she took the earphone from the elder's left ear but he suddenly slapped her hands away, surprising her.

"Ouch!" Kyungsoo exclaimed but the elder only glared at her and went back to his own world, leaving Kyungsoo alone and bored to death. As soon as the earplug was back against his ear, he started banging his head lightly as he drummed his fingers along the beat of the song that was playing.

She huffed at him and flipped her hair as she looked at the opposite side. She'll just gonna stare outside since it looks interesting than her douche of a cousin. She was sitting beside the windows, beside her was the annoying Minseok, and at the end of the seat was their other cousin who seemed like she's sixteen or something. The seats in the third row was occupied by their other cousins and Minseok's little sister.

They just came back from a family gathering somewhere outside Seoul that Kyungsoo wasn't so enthusiastic about. The party was held yesterday in the countryside that was Kyungsoo's and Minseok's mothers' hometown. Kyungsoo's mother insisted that instead of going with different cars, why don't they just travel together using their van. Mrs. Kim agreed that its more convenient and less hassle since they basically lived next doors.

If Mr.s Do didn't come up with this idea, Kyungsoo wouldn't be suffering on dealing with her loud, annoying cousins. Not that she didn't like them (she loves them very much that they can be considered as siblings) but it was their noisy mouths. They haven't stopped talking ever since they got on the van this morning to drive back to Seoul and the most frustrating part is that, she'll have to deal with them for a few more hours because they're unfortunately stuck in a huge mess called traffic.

Wow. Just wow. Kyungsoo officially hates this trip more than ever now.

 

 

An hour passed, they had only managed to move few meters that Kyungsoo swore he almost wanted to get off the vehicle and just walk his way back home. He would have done that if it wasn't because of the super hot weather. He hated the heat of the sun ever since he can remember. He hates it when he gets sunburn and heat rashes-- they're annoying and painful. If they didn't spend much time eating lunch in a stop they had along the way, they would have come early and wont be stuck in here.

" everything," she cursed under her breath. She looked at everyone and she almost wanted to scream in frustration, her period taking a huge part in making her easily annoyed and frustrated, because all of them looked like they were enjoying themselves despite of being under the intense heat of the sun and being caught in a huge traffic. 

She calmed herself, eyes shutting tight as she a deep breath with her nose before releasing it through . She was on her fourth time of doing that until Minseok's little sister asked her.

"Unnie, what are you doing?" she asked innocently, her whole body turned towards the elder and her eyes were wide and glossy as she peered from the seat's backrest. Kyungsoo thought she's just being concerned but actually what her unnie was doing is kind of freaking her out. Is she having a hard time breathing? She didn't know. She thought Kyungsoo needed a little help.

Kyungsoo cracked an eye open, forcing herself to tug the side of her lips upwards because this kid is way too innocent and sweet to be lashed out at. "I'm just doing some breathing exercise. I'm fine, you can go back to chatting with them."

"Is that so? Okay then," she had smiled at her older cousin before joining her other cousins' maniacally laughters. The sweet, concerned look disappeared as soon as she faced her cousins.

"Woah..." Kyungsoo muttered under her breath with wide eyes when she saw how her younger cousin transform from an innocent angel into a crazed-hormone kid. That escalated rather quickly.

She's back in her own little world. She sighed and shifted her gaze outside the window beside her. The cars outside were no different, they all looked as if they will melt under the sun's piercing gaze. Its kind of unusual to have a hot weather like this but yeah, it chose to happen today. She slumped on her seat, patience growing shorter as time passed by but there's not a thing she can do about it.

She wrapped her arms around her chest, eyes looking at the shiny black car outside as she felt their van move. And at that moment, she thought her eyes caught something, something beautiful. She tilted her body to look outside clearly and there she saw it again. The beautiful thing that she saw.

She stared at the beauty, or at the guy rather, who was smiling at her. She couldn't help but stare and stare and stare with agape. The guy was at the back seat of the black car, he had his jet black hair pushed back in a formal yet manly style, his cheekbones were prominent, nose round, lips thick and plush and oh my gosh his jaws looked as if God personally carved them with His own hands! He was looking at her too!

She stared at the guy with wide eyes for a whole minute until he looked like he was getting bothered by her gaze. She saw him rummage in a bag and took out what seemed like a sketchpad. Kyungsoo thinks he wrote something on it.

She waited what would the guy's next move be and she was surprised to see him hold the sketchpad up as if he was making her see what he had written on it. She didn't have any choice but look at it and it says, "I know I'm handsome but can you please stop staring at me like that? Haha." His writing was sloppy and it was obvious that he was hurrying when he wrote it.

Kyungsoo was honestly taken aback. She wasn't staring! She remembered shoving her notebook and ballpen inside her backbag yesterday morning before they left for the trip, so she went on her bag and rummaged inside it. Her hands finally found the pen, the notebook already on her lap. She wrote, "Excuse me for bursting your bubbles but I AM NOT STARING AT YOU." She looked smug as she held the notebook and pressed it against the window so that the guy could make out what she had written.

The guy smirked and wrote again, "Really? But you were basically like this..." He held the sketchpad below his chin and mimicked how Kyungsoo's face was awhile ago; eyes wide as saucers and mouth agape like a whole elephant can fit. He let out a soft laugh when he saw her face turn into the color of a tomato. She had looked away so he thought she would never reply again. He immediately wrote, "Sorry about that. By the way, my name is Jongin and u are?"

Few moments later, Kyungsoo finally recovered from her embarrassment and looked at the guy again. Ohh.. so his name is Jongin. She glanced at the people inside their van and was relieved they're still at it. "I'm Kyungsoo."

"What a cute name. So where are you guys going?"

Kyungsoo giggled at the compliment. He said she had a cute name. "Thank you haha. We're on our way back to Seoul. We just got back from a family reunion. Wbu?" she was so busy writing that she didn't feel their vehicle move. When she looked outside, Jongin nor their black car was no where in sight.

And then, she saw the car again and Jongin. Her face lit up and pressed the notebook against the window. Not that she will resent losing him but at least she had someone who can accompany her in this lonely, boring epic jam.

"Oh. Well, we just got back from a business meeting my dad had to attend. We're on our way to our house too."

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter