Pinches of Bravery

Story of a Little Mermaid and the Prince Who Didn't Believe in Love
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It had been a few weeks ever since the little accident that had almost costed Ryeowook's identity to be revealed, however the little merman had never thought to give up on spying the King of his heart and dreams, not even once.

He had taken the needed precautions everytime he had to swim all the way under Kyuhyun's balcony, to keep on taking his secret glances to the commitment-filled and serious life of a ruler. Those days Kyuhyun seemed to be particularly busy into arranging a pretty important meeting with an overseas delegation, which was coming to greet him on occasion of his twenty-fourth birthday.

State affairs, as Kyuhyun would often call them when talking with his servants, and Ryeowook often eavsdropped everything from the permanently open balcony door.

That day, it was really an afternoon like many others: the orange sun would be ready to set behind the horizon, the sea colored itself in dancing flames and the seagulls flew through the cotton candy-like pink clouds. It was then that Ryeowook, hugging yet another rock dressed in crystals of salt, would keep on swaying his lean, sapphire blue tail in the water while dreamily gazing up at the marble decorations of the wide balcony. As if instead he could really see what was going on inside.

There was Kyuhyun giving orders to the kitchen attendants about the reception banquet, and explaining that a less formal party was to be held on the master vessel of the Royal Fleet, behind suggestion of his friend Changmin. The last one was often present during such small meetings with the staff of the castle. Being the Chamberlain's son he was to know everything involving the King and where he lived. However great part of the reason he was always by Kyuhyun's side was just because of sincere friendship.

Ryeowook attentively listened to Changmin's suggestions when, remained alone in the King's office, he was trying to talk Kyuhyun into choosing the perfect outfit for his birthday party.

"Why would I need to wear something so formal like the Royal Navy uniform, Min?" Kyuhyun puffed his cheeks and asked, slightly annoyed by the long, tiring day already, he didn't want ot take into account Changmin's being exceptionally meticulous as always so to have what remained of his day practically ruined. Not to mention his patience.

"Why not? You are the King!" Changmin exclaimed.

"That's why I'm saying that a normal suit would do just fine" Kyuhyun sighed, moving from the desk to the armchair just a few steps away "It's not like the uniform will confirm to my guests who the King is!" he grumbled.

"Just put it and try it out, it won't kill you at all" Changmin insisted, walking to where Kyuhyun sat and holding the hanger before his friend "Come on!" he showed an earnest smile, while shaking off the uniform a little bit.

"I will be putting all my efforts into trying to figure out why you always win all your arguments with me" Kyuhyun answered at the end of a silence lasted a couple of minutes. He reluctantly stood up and, grabbing the clothes from Changmin, he proceeded to strip of his and change into the new ones.

The trousers he had on were soon replaced by perfectly ironed and unsoiled, white ones. His shirt easily slipped off both arms and he caught it before it could fall onto the carpeted floor. Leaving it onto the seatback of the armchair he was sitting on before, Kyuhyun took the one Changmin was passing him and wore it, letting his friend help him with each little button and stick the collar around his neck. 

"You're gonna be stunning" Changmin commented, his breath hitting Kyuhyun's milky white neck as his hands swiftly adjusted the collar above the just tied necktie.

"Would you expect less from me?" Kyuhyun grinned, letting Changmin escorting him in front of the full size mirror and encircle his waist with a thick leather belt from which hung a long, thin sword colored in gold and silver and decorated with ornaments representing a chain of leafage from a weeping willow tree, entwined with small anemones.

"Of course not, Your Majesty" Changmin replied, his eyebrow lifted for the overboarding ego of his friend, but nonetheless helped Kyuhyun into the emerald green jacket that so well matched his auburn hair and hazelnut-tinted, doe eyes.

That jacket, despite its heavy weight, was the highest symbol of power and respect and designated the Chief of the entire Army, which - being King Kyuhyun's realm a maritime one - was composed mainly of the Navy and all its reparts. 

Kyuhyun looked at its reflection with clinic eye, paying attention not to show much of his approvation towards the look just sported, or Changmin would win his ultimate fight against his friend's questionable decisions about fashion and style, however a small smirk escaped his rosy lips and a corner of his mouth lifted upwards.

"See? Man of little faith..." Changmin sighed, handing Kyuhyun his pair of candid white gloves "This is why you always have got to listen to me, your old friend" he commented, watching as the King slipped the garment on each finger and smoothed the jacket on his stomach.

This time the sigh just produced came from Kyuhyun's part. Having just glanced at how well the ensemble just matched his physics and natural colors. It just looked like the Royal tailors had put that outfit on waiting for the perfect King to rise and wear it for the most important occasions. Kyuhyun didn't seem to remember having seen his father look half the way he did look in that outfit.

He moved, giving now his back to the magnificent reflection the mirror portrayed in his stance and after a couple of steps, Kyuhyun realized to have stopped on the balcony, in front of the open sea.

Both hands gently placed on the marble, his eyes veiled in melancoly as the head reclined back and his eyes closed under the orange sky. The young man took in a huge breath and the briny smell of the calmly rolling waves tickled his nostrils, acting like the most powerful among poisonous alcohols, almost addicting, enchanting.

"What's wrong now?" Changmin followed him and stepped into the normally high walls, that Kyuhyun used to build very often around his most intimate parts of the soul, by placing his supportive hand onto the friend's shoulder.

"Nothing" Kyuhyun lied. How to explain yet another time that no party could fool him into not believing that the High Council just wanted him wed to a future Queen who could take care of his prematurely scarred inner self "But...Min, can you leave me on my own for a while? I want to rest" he asked.

Changmin's eyes grew wider for an instant and he froze, bewildered. Mouth slightly ajar in front of the unusual request, he simply nodded thereafter and walked away, closing the door behind himself.

Kyuhyun rested his elbows on the balcony and doubled over it, lost in his thoughts.

How he wished sometimes to be just a simple man from the village. Known to friends and family for whom he was, and not for his title.

How was it even possible to explain to the hundreds people, that served him and whorshipped like a god walking on Earth, that he wasn't ready to marry outside love. What was love anyway? 

He had just known the strong feeling that bound his partents for a lifetime and before death, but due to the sense of duty he was forced to nurture towards his country, he wasn't supposed to feel or experience love except for when he hadn't been deemed to do so by the Council.

At the dawn of his twenty-four years, King Kyuhyun had learnt not to eye with loving affection any of the maids that entoured him, less than that those who lived outside the castle.

One day before his birthday he realized he had never felt that alone before. And unworthy of someone that could cherish him like a friend, adoring like a significant other and advice him like a just right hand. For the sake of the country, his only target when it came to love. Just...non that kind of carefree, passionate, wanted and sought for love.

For the sake of the crown that adorned his head, Kyuhyun was bound not to knew any form of love except for duty and honor towards his country.

The only thing left now was hoping that the chosen Queen-to-be could put that above anything else as well, which was most probably gonna be the only solution to make his fake marriage a little more bearable throughout the years.

The waves rolled a bit faster and circles were drawn on the surface of the water as Ryeowook swiftly pulled himself a little below the rock he was hiding behind, and there stiffled a gasp. His heart beat furiously in his ribcage and the little merman had to place a hand on his chest to feel it rise and fall at the rhythm of its unsteady pace. Just a little while before he was content enough only to fill his ears of Kyuhyun's sweet, full voice, he had never imagined to see him as well that day, so when the King briefly appeared on the balcony, Ryeowook was taken aback and his heart threatened to explode.

He swore he had never seen Kyuhyun dressed ever so elegantly before, it only added up on to the million other things he appreciated and loved about the human so much, he had actually started imagining the occasion he would have worn such outfit. Ryeowook's mind ran wild and automatically went to those particular times his dreamer brother Heechul had told him tales about the great balls the Human Kings had held at the palace on the shore over the centuries, and how couples used to dance in tight embraces there, sweetly swinging from one corner of the room to the other in little steps. His imagination designed the shadows of two men hugged in each other's arms and the tallest of them quietly leading his slightly shorter partner into a delicate dance, from side to side, in the huge ballroom and at the main focus of the many invited guests, who eyed them with air of appreciation.

Inadvertently, Ryeowook's eyes fell on the image the water had portayed of his own reflection and finally saw the light blush spreading on his cheeks, sign of his tormented feelings, which had by then certified that he had severely fallen in love with Kyuhyun. He ducked his head and quickly threw it into the water, where he shook it with vehemence, hoping to get his mind refereshed.

When he had fini

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter