Changed

Changed
Please Subscribe to read the full chapter

It's going to happen today, 1st June 2010.

I never thought that this day would come so fast, neither did my friends. I was the most badass playboy in college, jumping from bed to bed, changing girlfriends so frequently that none would last even a week. But everything changed a year ago, 1st June 2009. It all started with a bet.

Every school has a weirdo. In fact, most class would have at least 1 weirdo. But there's this weirdo – a girl – that has been the talk of the school, ever since first day. Her name is Victoria Song. She always wears a pair of geeky glasses, plain clothing, unsociable, and doesn't even smile – not even once. The whole school calls her Moody Song. Nobody understands why she always behaves that way, and gradually everyone starts to make fun of her.

On 1st June 2009, I dumped another girl. It's normal, the whole school knows that. My friends, knowing that I have dated quite a number of girls in this school, suggested that I should try dating Victoria. My first reaction was of course, reject their idea. There are plenty of beautiful girls out there, why would I want to date a weirdo? Then they started to say that it's because I can't get her, which flicks a switch in me. I do not like people looking down on me. So we started a bet. If I get her on bed with me, they would listen to whatever I have asked them to. If I didn't, then I have to bare my body and walks around the hallways of the campus. I agreed, because nobody has ever rejected me before.

I decided to approach her after my last class ends. We have the same last class, in fact, we have the most of the same classes, but we never talk to each other. She's always seated herself at the back corner, while I was seated at the other corner, just beside the back door of the classroom. I like my seat as girls would always walk pass to look at me, and I love to look at them too.

The bell rang, and I packed my bag quickly and approached her. I greeted her simply, with just a "Hi", but she gave no response, continue to pack her bag. Well, I knew this would happen, but I wouldn't give up easily. I started a conversation with her.

"Hi, I am Nichkhun."

"..."

"Where are you heading later?"

"..."

"Perhaps I could send you to your destination?"

"..."

She didn't respond to any of my questions, and just walked away after she packed her bag. Still not giving up, I followed after her.

"Are you heading home?"

"..."

"I'll walk with you."

"..."

"Are you going to keep silent all the time?"

"..."

"Well, it's okay. I'll just keep talking to you."

I walked – or should I say followed – her to her home. Even when she walked through the gates, she still didn't talk to me. Well, I've tried, and I'm not giving up. I do not want to lose the bet. I'll make her talks to me, falls for me, and get her to bed with me.

The same thing happened the next few days. I started to get very annoyed.

"Are you always going to be like this?! Are you going to shut yourself from the world forever?!"

"..."

"Fine!" I said, irritated, and stopped my steps. She ignored me and continued walking. Unable to stand her rudeness, I turn back to walk away, but I stopped my tracks as I heard a voice – her voice.

“Then you shouldn’t have talked to me at all.”

I didn’t imagine her voice would be so soft and angelic. I imagined it to be loud and rough.

“Did you just talk to me?” I say, turning back to her. She stopped her steps, and I know that she was surprised. She didn’t intend to let me hear her remarks. I walked towards her and stood in front of her.

“You talked to me, right?”

She ignored me again, and continued her steps. I looked at her figure from the back, walking further away from me. At that moment, I do not know why, but I wanted to get close to her.

The first weekend, I decided to go to her place and bring her out. I was driving, and before I could step out of my car, she walked out from her door and got into a cab that was waiting just right outside her house. Due to my curiosity, I followed the cab, and it led me to a church.

I parked my car in the nearest parking lot and went in the church. The church was empty, probably due to the location – it was located far away from the city. The only person here was her. She was sitting on the first bench, quietly praying. I sat at the last bench and watched her. I do not know how long have she been praying, but my eyes never once leave her. It was when I saw her hands releasing her clasp then I stood up and approached her.

“Hey.” I say, and seated myself beside her. From her expression, I know she was surprised to see me here, but she doesn’t speak.

“Do you always come to this church every weekend?”

“…”

“This church looks remote, but it looks quite nice here.”

There’s still no response from her. She closed her eyes and clasps her hands together again. She’s praying again, and I stopped talking and let her pray. Once she opened her eyes, she stood up and leaves the church. I, of course, followed after her.

“Where are you heading to? I can drive you there.” I say, but she’s still ignoring me. She walked to the opposite direction of the parking lot and walked away. I looked at my car, and back to her figure. The decision I made was walked with her, which I have never ever done before. I would not dump my car somewhere and follow a girl, it is not my moral. But because of her, I did, and I didn’t realise why – until a few weeks later.

I walked beside her, “I’ll walk with you then.”

She stopped her steps. Maybe it’s because she doesn’t want me to follow her, but she started to talk to me.

“Can you please stop following me?”

“No, because I want to know you more. We can be friends.”

“But I don’t want to.”

“Why not? I can be your first friend.”

“…”

“You can ignore me as much as you want, but I will still follow you. I want to be friends with you.”

“Aren’t you annoyed?”

“No. Not anymore, since you started talking to me.”

“…”

She started to continue walking, and I do the same, but she stopped a few steps later.

“Fine. What do you want me to do so you could stop following me?”

“Are you heading to somewhere that you cannot let me know?”

After I asked that, she glared at me. That time, I do not know why I feel frightened by her glare.

“Okay. You can go out with me tomorrow, and I’ll stop following you.”

“Fine.”

“I’ll pick you up tomorrow at 11.”

“…”

“See you tomorrow, Victoria.”

The next day, I went to her house and picked her up. She didn’t reject me, and followed me to my car. We went for a movie. I intentionally picked a comedy, wanting to see if she will laugh.

Throughout the whole movie, I am the only one laughing, and I thought she doesn’t have any emotions at all. I thought she was just sitting down there, watching the movie like staring into blank space. I was wrong. I turned to look at her and to my surprise, she was crying. I was flustered, but I still keep my cool. The thing is, I never was flustered when a girl cries. Girls always cry when I broke up with them, and it was annoying to me. This is different. I do not know what to do, and I do not have a tissue or a handkerchief to wipe her tears. All I do was look at her. She noticed me looking at her, and turned her face away from me and quietly wiped away her tears. A question was stuck in my mind. Why did she cry while watching a comedy?

After the movie, I did not ask her. We just remained silent while I take her to lunch. The place I wanted to take her was along a street, so we walked beside the road and head to the place. While we were on our way there, we heard kitten cries and looked towards the direction of the cries. An injured kitten was lying in the middle of the road. I wanted to ignore it and walked away, but I stopped as I saw her walking towards the kitten and slowly picked the kitten up.

“You’re hurt. I’ll bring you to the vet and tend to your wound.” I heard her say as she pats softly on the kitten. I smiled at what she was doing.

A honking sound of a vehicle erased my smile. It was approaching her in a fast speed. I ran towards her and hugged her tight, rolling to the side of the road to avoid the vehicle. She was shocked, I know that, and she slowly moved away from me. I hissed at the pain of my left arm as she moved away.

“Nichkhun! You’re hurt!” She said as she carried the kitten in one arm and used her free hand to hold onto my left arm. I looked at my left arm. I was bleeding. Even though I am bleeding, and I felt a little pain from the injuries, I looked at her and asked her something that I would not have done in the past.

“Are you alright? Are you injured?” I asked, which surprised me. I would not care for someone as much as I care for myself. I’ll always think of myself first before others.

“I’m fine, but you’re not! I’ll bring you to the hospital.”

She slowly helped me up. I can see that she doesn’t want to hurt me. Seeing her so concern about me, the pain on my arm was fading. I can no longer feel the pain there.

“It’s okay, I’m fine. It’s just a minor injury. Let’s bring the kitten to the vet first.”

“No! I’ll bring you to the hospital. Then I’ll bring the kitten to the vet… No, I should bring the kitten to the vet… No, I’ll-”

“Victoria!” I called her name, and she stopped talking and looked at me.

“I’m okay. We’ll bring the kitten to the vet first.”

“But you have to-”

“It’s fine. We can go to the hospital after that.”

After that day, things between us changed. We became friends. We could make a decent conversation. We talked in school. I walked with her back to her home after school. We hang out during the weekends. Being with her made me feel something that I have never felt before – something nice. I was falling in love with her. 29th June 2009, I confessed my feelin

Please Subscribe to read the full chapter