Five

Feel it Fading

"Anyeong-hasseo. Ji Chang Wook-imnida." 

Up front imma lay it down real:

1) He was x1000 more attractive in person

2) His voice was surprisingly deep...and oomph....and deep

3) He was really attractive.

"She's from New York" Ava breaks my trance.

"Ah yes. Nice to meet you." I bow again. Breaking my back suddenly fell off my priority list.

"Looking forward to working with you." 

 


 

"Hwaiting!" the team breaks. 

First day of filming and I was ready:

1) Big puffy, unattractive coat to keep my limbs from freezing off. Check.

2) Big, heavy camera that was threatening to pull my arms off. Check.

3) Did I mention I looked like a hobo.

But it's always like this. Hair in a messy bun, fake glasses, and oversized jacket. It's how I worked best- don't question it.

It was cool to finally shoot action scenes (well, stand and watch others shoot action scenes).

"Changwook, get tied up and we'll start filming the window scene!" 

Everyone starts rushing around as the director comes over to me.

"How are we doing this?" he asks me, as if I knew.

"Uh...wait let me see..." I stutter out as I scramble for the script and fumble with the pages to look for the directions for this scene.

"No, I mean, how would you do this?"

"Me? Um... from the roof of the building across probably. M.O.S would be easier I think. Pan right, sharps on him, zoom and follow. High angle shot from studio crane, framing. And maybe low across angle shot from passerby POV?"

He stares at the night sky for ten silent seconds and then snaps "Call. You're up."

"Ne??" I was in disbelief. Not only did he like my ideas, he was executing them on the spot.

Next thing I know I'm here on the roof at the end of Changwook's zipline, filming the head-on shot.

"Come in. 20?"

"All's a go. Count."

3-2-1. The audible sounds of switches snapping and wires moving fling Changwook into action, through the window and flying into the dark night sky.

 


 

"Good work everyone!" director wraps up the day at 4:00 A.M.

Thank god too because my ears were about to fall off. 

I walk over to the side and grab my bag to leave. Shoot. Where's Ava? I'm staying with her for the next few months.

I turn around to look for a short lady in a puffy red coat, but I spot Changwook under the street light making a phone call. 

"Hey Ella! Nice work today."

"Oh thanks! John right?"

"Yeah. Dang I heard you were in high school? That's ridiculous, you're definitely the youngest I've seen. But nice calls today. Looking foward to the next month."

"Yeah me too! I'm pumped haha" but no matter how pumped I was, I couldn't hold in a yawn.

"Haha get used to it. 4:00 A.M. is the norm. Especially for this film because it's all at night. And Changwook can only film at night cause he has musicals."

"Wow. He must be exhausted..."

"You talking about me?" Changwook appears out of nowhere and slings an arm over John.

"Hey good work today man."

"Thanks. You too. You too....Ella?"

"Mhm. Thanks...I'm still new to this so I honestly wasn't expecting to do much."

"I saw you calling the shots! Camera #3 right?"

"Yeah...haha..." jeez I feel so nervous just talking to him " You worked really hard today, you're not hurt right?"

"Naw I'm fine...but honestly everytime we need to film a stunt scene I'm scared to death of falling."

"Dude you looked so badass!"

"Yeah Changwook-ssi, mut-ji-da! -yo...." (adding formal speech to korean)

"Haha please, speak to me informally. Especially since your korean isn't that fluent."

"Mm. Ok haha thanks for understanding."

"Of course. Oh hey my manager's here. See you guys tomorrow."

"Aight man see ya."

"Good night!"