1

The essential is invisible for your eyes

 

Just like all other days, I woke up to sound of the alarm on my phone.
It wasn't a very modern one - far from it. The key for ending a call was missing, showing the dusty green electronics on the inside, so I literally had to pick out the battery to end my calls.  Not that people ever called me anyways.

I rolled over in my narrow bed and groaned, pulling the blanket over my head to drown out the sound. It almost worked since I was so tired, but just as I was about to fall back into my peaceful land of sleep I felt a rough hands drag the blanket away and displaying me to the cold air. Then I heard the tell-tale crash of my phone colliding with the wall and falling into three pieces, the alarm stopping mid-tune.

My brother looked at me with tired, empty eyes.  "Why can't you ever shut off that annoying alarm of yours?" He stated and then turned his back on me, as if it wasn't a question. As if he didn't expect an answer. And as always, I chose not to give him one. 

 

I ate my breakfast in silence, looking through the newspaper in front of me without really reading any of the news about people I didn't know nor cared about. They all had their pretty lives and pretty lies - and they didn't give a damn about me.

The only sound heard in the kitchen was the buzzing of the radiator and the endless flow of news coming from the old radio by the time that I'd finished eating. I rose and went into the bathroom.

While I was brushing my teeth I saw an image of myself in the mirror hanging over the sink. I looked at myself, at the reflection of the me that everyone else saw. Brown hair framing my face and a few strands falling into my dark eyes. Skin so pale it looked as if I'd never seen the sun. Right under my eyes, it was so transparent that a faint purple from the veins showed threw.

I could be beautiful.

For a split part of a second, a small smile grazed my lips. It lit up the whole room, at least in my imagination.

I was beautiful.

Why could no one else see that? Why was I so ugly in their eyes? Why could I see what nope else could? How could I think that I was pretty when everyone knew I wasn't?

The moment passed.

I followed the curves of my reflection's lips in the mirror.
Not even a hint of a smile anymore.

Then I saw them move, and heard the truth being spoken.

"You are ugly, inside and out. Ugly, so, so ugly. Everyone else know it. It is just you yourself who are too stupid to understand ."