Chapter 1: 2018 - Rooftop of Key's family home

Rooftops

“How long has it been since we last sat here like this? Ten years?” Jonghyun asked and took a pull on his cigarette.
“I think so” Kibum said as he threw his stub in the rain gutter.
“And now Minho is going to get married?”  
“Seems like it, though I only know it from my mother.”
Kibum couldn’t take his eyes off Jonghyun. He had changed so much. Back when they were still in high school Jonghyun had always been so cheerful and energetic, now he only looked tired. Jonghyun had only ever smoked occasionally, only when he was relaxing with Kibum talking about trivial stuff most off the time, but now he seemed like he did it regularly and he had such a stern face. Kibum blamed it on Jonghyun’s job. Jonghyun had never been an office person, he was a creative mind and he needed music as a way to deal with his emotions. He seemed to have them all bottled up within him. Kibum was sincerely worried about his best friend.
“I’m very concerned about Gwiboon” Jonghyun admitted “The news about Minho’s marriage must’ve hit her hard.”
Kibum watched Jonghyun furrowing his eyebrows and looking into the distant skies. He could never stop himself from watching Jonghyun.
“She had it coming. She always only talked about her future career, how famous she was going to be. She believed in it more than anybody and did not really care about what would happen to Minho after she left him to go to Seoul. But yeah, she really suffers. I think that after all this time she still loves him very much. I think she might love him more than she ever loved anybody, even you.” Kibum said while in deep thought “No offence to you, though” he hastily added.
“I’m taking no offence, don’t worry.” Jonghyun replied “I couldn’t love her properly, I have no right to blame her for loving someone else more than me.” 
Kibum nodded silently to that. Jonghyun took another cigarette out of the package in his pocket. He offered one to Kibum, but the latter declined.
“Right from the start Gwiboon and I did not suit each other, that’s why it didn’t work out. She was so impulsive and radiant, casting a shadow on everyone else. I have Eunsook now, she is more decent and suits me better. Have you ever heard of an office worker with such a flashy girlfriend like Gwiboon?” He asked and for the first time turned his head in Kibum’s directon.
“No, I haven’t.”
 It hurt Kibum to look at Jonghyun. When Jonghyun and Gwiboon were a couple, they suited each other so well. They both were the artsy type and very popular, it was as if they were shining. Now they had lost all of it, both of them. It is cruel what life does to people, Kibum thought. Jonghyun had even lost the sparkle in his eyes that Kibum had loved so much.
“It must be hard for you, too.” Jonghyun suddenly said, waking Kibum from his thoughts. “Your grandmother just died, but everyone only cares about how sad Gwiboon is.”
“It is okay, I’m used to it. Gwiboon always gets more attention than I do and it doesn’t really affect me that much.”
“But I can see that it does! You loved your grandmother a lot, didn’t you, Kibum? You even stayed in Daegu to take care of her when Gwiboon selfishly left for Seoul! And now you’re the only one of us who was able to pursue his dreams.” Jonghyun said with a sad smile.
Kibum’s heart was about to flip, Jonghyun still had that ability, even after all these years. He needed to change the topic or he would be a mess because he still had no control over his feelings for Jonghyun.
“How much time do you have left until your train?” he asked.
“Not much. I didn’t want to be away from home for too long because Eunsook gets lonely very fast.” 
Jonghyun was staring into the sky again and so did Kibum, feeling all melancholic now.
“It must be nice to have someone whom you love and who loves you back.” Kibum replied tearing his eyes from the sky to read Jonghyun’s feelings through his face, but he was only met with a smile much sadder than the one before.
 Kibum did not know what to say, it was so awkward to be seeing Jonghyun like this. He got up and climbed down to the balcony leaving Jonghyun all to himself.
The last thing he heard was a desperate sigh.

A/N: I started writing this in 2014, but paused it because it felt weird due to the lack of action. I am trying to revive this fanfic although it is still incomplete and I can't promise that I will complete it. However, I have a few chapters prepared and I hope that there's still more to come.
The events in this fic aren't chronological, thus the date in the chapter name, so please don't get confused! ^^'