Act Of Love

I Didn't Mean To Love You

Everyday, Hyun Jung's surgical wounds would be dressed. The residents on duty each day made sure that the patient was made comfortable. Some of them shyly ask for autographs and have some photo opps with her.

Bong Goo, Pulip, and Chan Doo would visit her, bringing some things or some goodies to eat and share.

"Chan Doo-ya, how does it feel to be a YG star?" Hyun Jung asked.

"So nice. I am glad that my seonbaes are very helpful," he explained. "Big Bang and 2NE1 are our direct mentors, and they are very helpful."

"You saw Goo Hye Sun too, right?" Pulip reminded him.

He lit up a cute smile. "Ne, Hye Sun-noona is really pretty, and her voice is really amazing. She also composes some songs for us."

"Whoa... I really envy you, Chan Doo-ya," Bong Goo said.

"Hehe, don't be. Besides, you are very lucky to have pets as your patients," he told his best friend.

They were talking about the downsides of being popular too.

"The reporters are following me around, and I have to hide in a disguise. But that is no biggie to me anymore."

"I have heard that Super Junior and MBLAQ are gonna release their own albums soon. How does it feel to go against them?" Hyun Jung asked.

"I feel pressured, but that is OK," Chan Doo said, still wearing that smile on his face. "I always tell my group that we will just work harder than we had ever done before so that we can be at par with them."

"And how about your studies?" Pulip said.

"Gwaenchanha, I'm on my second year, and YG family is very supportive too."

"You might even work for them when you graduate," Pulip said.

"That would be a bonus," he said.

Then, the surgeon came in with Baek Hyun. The rest of them greeted the surgeon and Baek Hyun politely. They had to be polite to Baek Hyun because he came in as a doctor.

"How are you feeling now?" the surgeon asked the patient.

"I'm feeling better, thank you," Hyun Jung answered.

"Well, Dr. Hwang will explain to you how to care for your wound so in case you will be discharged, you can continue wound dressing at home," the doctor said.

Baek Hyun sat in front of Hyun Jung, totally awkward that he had to talk to her as a doctor.

"Hyun Jung-ssi, I will explain to you regarding wound care," he started.

Pulip, Bong Goo, and Chan Doo all stared in awe as Baek Hyun explained how wound dressing is done. Hyun Jung could not concentrate, as she still looked at Baek Hyun as her ex-seobang, not as a doctor.

"Gwaenchanhseumnikka, Hyun Jung-ssi?" Baek Hyun asked professionally.

He actually knew that she was feeling awkward, so he told her to focus at him as a doctor, not as a friend.

"Ah...arasseoyo..." she replied, slightly embarrassed.

"Don't  be too harsh on her, Dr. Hwang," the surgeon said to make the atmosphere light. "She's your friend, right?"

Baek Hyun faced his mentor, "Joesonghamnida..."

Then, he focused back on Hyun Jung and continued his explanation. 

"Let's dress your wound today," he said.

And so, the three other friends watched in awe as they watched Baek Hyun in action. But they noticed that Hyun Jung was silent everytime Baek Hyun came in the room. With the other resident doctors, she was totally cheerful.

******

Finally, Hyun Jung was discharged, and Mr. Dong payed the bills. He drove his niece to her pad.

"Are you sure you will be all right?" he asked.

"Ne. Please don't worry about me, Uncle," she said.

When she got in the pad, she found the place slightly dusty.

"I had been in the hospital for almost a week.... But I cannot clean just yet..."

Then, she remembered her wound on her stomach and splinted it carefully. She gingerly sat on the couch and watched TV. On screen was Kang Seok Ho's image. He held office as a senator, and the senators hated him for being an absolutist.

"He had not changed a bit," she scoffed.

Then, the doorbell rang. When she went to check the monitor, it was Baek Hyun.

"Wae?" she asked.

She saw that he was holding a basket and a bouquet.

"May I come in?" he asked.

Hyun Jung opened the door and let him come in.

"I am off duty today, so I guess I should visit you."

"What's with the basket and bouquet?" she asked cautiously.

"You like it?" he asked with a sly smile.

She was not able to utter a thing as she was shocked at the gifts.

"Do you want some juice or tea?" she offered.

He lit up a smile at her. "Let me just help you make me some."

So, they went to the kitchen, where they made snacks together.

"You sure you have not forgive me?" he asked her like he was teasing her.

"Omo...of course, I have..." she awkwardly replied.

Baek Hyun was sure she had not forgiven him still. She still showed that awkward treatment, though it had been years ago since she apologized. He was willing to slave all his life so he could see her smile at him again like before.

"Hyun Jung, I will come here every morning to dress your wounds."

"Mwo? Unbelievable," she scoffed. "Ya, did you just taught me in the hospital?"

"Ara... But as a friend, I insist," he said.

Hyun Jung wanted to protest, but Baek Hyun was persistent. He even insisted on dusting her dusty pad.

"Omo, no need to do that, Baek Hyun-ah."

He earnestly looked at her. "Just let me be. I don't want your wound to split open."

******

The next morning, Hyun Jung was about to eat breakfast when Baek Hyun arrived.

"Are you here to eat breakfast for free?" she asked as she held out her hand.

"What's that for?" was his confused reply.

"If you are to eat breakfast, you need to pay me," she said as she insisted on her hand.

"Ya, did I say I will eat breakfast? I will only treat your wounds. And if breakfast is waiting for me, then wound dressing would be the payment," he argued playfully.

His smile was so endearing that Hyun Jung could not help but smile back at him, and he noticed it.

"It's been years, and I finally got to see you smile like that," he earnestly said.

Hyun Jung stepped back as he advanced. He pinned her to the wall so she could not escape. She looked at him, quite confused.

"Eat breakfast now, so I can start dressing your wounds," he instructed her.

She wiggled out of the awkward moment and instantly walked to the dining room to eat. Baek Hyun stayed in the living room to watch TV.

Later, they stayed in the living room so that he can start dressing her wounds.

"Your stitches still look great, and your wound is getting a bit better," he announced.

She looked at his face as he diligently dressed her wound. She hated to admit it, but she felt that her heart would give in. She did not want to fall for him again, but a part of her wanted to give her heart another chance.

"Gomawo, Baek Hyun-ah," she told him.

He smiled at her and told her that the dressing is done. He did aftercare and washed his hands. After getting back from the rest room, he saw her going to her room.

"Are you busy?" he asked.

"Uh...o... I have a photo shoot today..." she explained. "It had been cancelled last week due to my accident."

"Geureomyeon, let me drive for you," he offered.

Hyun Jung looked at the watch. It was almost eight in the morning.

"Won't you be late?"

"Anya. Our shifting starts at ten in the morning."

So, she went in and took almost thirty minutes to get ready. When she got out, Baek Hyun could not help but stare at her. Hyun Jung was still the fashionable girl that she was, but her tastes had changed. From the aegyo look, she had transformed into the fairy princess that she really is.

"Omo? Why are you staring at me like that?" she asked.

He smiled in spite of himself and told her that it was nothing. He told her that they need to go. And as promised, he drove her to the site of the photo shoot before he went to the hospital.

*****

That was the ritual until her wound got totally dry. Baek Hyun would come every morning to dress her wound, and in return, she would prepare breakfast for him. How sweet....

Baek Hyun's POV

It might take forever, it might take for-never. But I will slave my life to gain your forgiveness. I will slave my whole life so you will like me again.