Volume 1: The Chase

One Of A Kind

 

“Don’t you think so?” My older sister asked me as we were on our way to school.

“…uh, yeah.” I said, not even remembering what the hell she was going on about.

“You weren’t paying attention, were you?” She said, stopping in her tracks when she noticed I hadn’t argued that I was. “Idiot! And take off that hat, you look stupid. SunWoo, stop making that face at me, I’m your older sister.” She said as she was trying to fix my hat, or rather, take it off of my head.

“I told you my name was Baro.” I said, snatching it from her hands when she finally took hold of it. “IU, why do you have to walk me anyways?” It made me feel like I was still some preschooler or something.

“My name is JiEun, so you will call me that. And like I said, I’m your older sister.” She said with a sort of sneer in her smile. I hated when she pulled the whole “noona” bull on me. It didn’t even answer my question.

“By a lousy year.” I muttered.

“Oh, grow up. Its your last year of high school. Start acting your age.” Ha. Hypocrite.

“As soon as you do.” I replied. She was about to say some smart remark back, but was interrupted by the arrival of my 4 friends.

“My university is this way anyways.” She said, putting and emphasis on “university”. She said something else before walking away, but I didn’t hear it. Whatever it was, I had learned to drown her nagging out.

“Your older sister is so pretty”” ChanShik drooled. I smacked him over the head, causing him to pout and rub his head.

“We finally made it!” DongWoo said, putting his arms around ChanShik and I. “Senior year of high school!” He said in a sing-songy voice.

I didn’t see the point. It was the same school.

Same teachers.

Same people.

Everyone just thought it was twice as amazing since they were going to start acting like they knew all this worldly . Oh, and all uppity because they were worried about college. The last thing I wanted to do was spend another year trapped with these poor excuses for human beings.

“Maybe our little Baro will finally find a girl.” JinYoung smirked. What did he know? He’d been sticking his tongue down the same girl’s throat since Freshman year. I didn’t care for any of these girls anyways. All indecent.

If I was going to start dating someone, it had to be the one.

She had to be perfect.

It sounds farfetched, right? Wrong. My perfect girl was here somewhere, and I wasn’t going to waste any time on someone who wasn’t her. I’ll know her when I see her. She’ll be perfect. She’ll be amazing, and she won’t take me for granted.

After watching them play around for what seemed like an eternity, we finally made it to school. Finally wasn’t exactly a good word for this, it makes it sound like I’m excited to be here. I’d rather watch Jinyoung and his girl be fluffy with each other than be here.

Wait, that’s as bad as this. I shrugged the disturbing thought off and walked to my assigned room, which, what do you know, was away from the only 4 people I could stand in my school. I turned around to share my dismay with them, but they had already run off to their classes. Bastards. I groaned, considered murdering them when I saw them next, and walked off to my designated classroom. I groaned again when I walked in. Filled with the typical prissy people that went to this stupid school; squealing girls, idiot guys, someone sleeping, “bad asses”, and the works. I took a seat as far away from the commotion as possible, in the back of the room near the window.

I took one look at everyone, and scoffed. One more year without someone worth it.

And one more year wishing I could live somewhere where the people weren’t so dim witted.

My thoughts were interrupted by the bell, which cause one of my favorite things; silence. To my extreme dislike, no teacher walked in, and the unnecessary talking began once again. I wanted to shoot myself. Some people might question my negativity, but honestly, I was being real. There was no point in positivity if it was all created by false pretense. Everything that people say is good in this world, it doesn’t exist.

Unless, it’s because of that one special person.

This was another thing I was called out for; my being a hopeless romantic. I didn’t accept the term hopeless. There was no need for hope if it was already being taken care of by destiny. Yes, another thing I believed in. Everything was marked for you. You didn’t need to do anything but live, and wait for that one person to arrive in order for you become happy. Another reason why I was so “pessimistic”, I didn’t care because I knew I wouldn’t have to if everything was set out for me.

The door opened, and we all looked up, expecting to see our teacher. Instead, we saw a girl. The most perfect girl I had ever seen.

The one. I knew it. I just did.

“Am I late?” She said, looking around for the teacher.

“Just sit down” some girl yelled at her. The girl scoffed and looked for an open seat; unfortunately across the room.

I looked at her, and took her presence in. I knew it was her.

Let the chase begin.