Pinky Promise

She Didn't Want To Be Alone

“Mommy, mommy come! Look at the window!” A little girl shouted as soon as she managed to open her eyes after a deep nap, and ran towards the window, “It’s snowing, mommy! It’s snowing, it’s snowing!”

She couldn’t look away from the white snowflakes, slowly falling onto the ground. Soon after, her mother shows up. The woman leans in to see her precious daughter’s face. She was smiling widely, and looked like she didn’t need anything else in this world. “Yes, I can see, it’s beautiful,” she replied with a really calm and warm voice.

“It’s magical…” The girl added, turning around to her look at her mother for a few seconds, but then quickly turned back to see the winter’s beauty again.

“Honey, I have to work today…” The woman said silently, and immediately regretted it after seeing the smile of her daughter slowly going downwards. You could clearly see it in both of their eyes – none of them wanted to leave each other. The girl didn’t want her mother to abandon her, while the woman didn’t want to leave her little dreamer.

“I can stay if you--” she was interrupted when the girl suddenly wrapped her arms around her.

“Mommy, I understand,” the girl tried to smile as brightly as she could, holding back the tears that threatened to fall.

“Who’s my good girl?!” A man’s voice echoed through the corridor and the girl let go of her mother before ran out of the room to search for the source of the voice.

“DADDY!” The girl yelled while laughing and jumped into her father’s embrace…

 

 

“Son Min Yi!” The name’s owner jumped in her seat, instantly pressing her back against the chair and looking straight ahead of her, “How dare you fall asleep during my lesson?!” An old woman, wearing funny 80’s glasses, dark pink cotton skirt and a shirt that goes with it, yelled. However, her voice was barely audible for the girl because all she heard was music coming from her earphones, “You might be the top student, but, please, pay attention!” In Min Yi’s opinion, the teacher had to learn how to control her temper because it was already getting on her nerve. And that awful fashion sense. The girl had nothing against the color, but seeing a woman who is older than forty wearing that much pink didn’t seem right.

The teacher coughed, silencing the sound by her fist, and turned back to class, “Well, as I have already said, we’ll be having a transfer student next week. I hope you will warmly accept him into our class and be friendly. The poor boy won’t know anyone.” She kept a strict tone, but tried to deliver the news enthusiastically.

When the teacher turned around to write something on the board, Min Yi’s right earphone was removed by her seatmate. “Min Yi, did you hear? We’ll have a new classmate and it’s a guy!” The boy next to her whispered loudly, “Maybe you should befriend him.”

He chuckled, but the girl only lazily rolled her eyes and wanted to take the earphone, but the boy stopped her. “Oh, come on, answer me.” He sighed, leaning his right elbow on the table and placing his chin on his hand. His infamous cheeky smile also quickly disappeared from his face, “You know you need to talk to me. We grew up together after all. You used to—”

He was interrupted when suddenly, Min Yi’s book appeared right in front of his face, making him involuntarily shut up. “I know how I used to be…” she replied quietly and the boy smiled, just because she said something. “Min Yi, let’s go on a walk after school. I need to tell you something.” He said, and the girl nodded slightly, hoping that the latter didn’t notice it. Unfortunately, he did and almost immediately lifted his fists in the air, shouting, “YES!”

“KIM HANBIN! You want me to call your parents?” The teacher asked, shouting in frustration. Hanbin put his hands down on the desk, “No, ma’am. It’s just that I finally managed to solve this equation.” He smiled sheepishly, trying to get out of trouble.

A few seconds passed, and he thought that the teacher’s rage was turned down, but just as he could think about it, the woman spoke up, “What equation? This is English!” She was really annoyed and came up to Hanbin to hit him on the head.

“Am I getting detention?” He asked, rubbing the top of his head. The woman sighed, “You’re lucky, this time not.” She said and she walked back to the front of the classroom. Min Yi slightly glared at the woman before turning to check on Hanbin, but to her surprise, that bastard was smiling. He looked so happy, and the girl looked back at the blackboard, “Stop with that expression, Hanbin, it’s creepy.”

Min Yi POV

Right after the bell rang and I put on my backpack, Hanbin grabbed my hand and dragged me to the old playground near school. Everything was rusty here, because kids don’t visit this place anymore. But it was a good place to spend time with him.

He sat down on one of the swings and pointed at the other one, obviously wanting me to sit down on it. I brushed off the wet leaves and then plopped down on the swing. It was the end of autumn, but strangely it wasn’t that cold yet. No one wore short-sleeved tops, of course, but thick jackets were still unnecessary.

I took a glance at Hanbin, who was staring at the sky. The boy seemed to be so far away at the moment, and after watching him being so absorbed in his thoughts, I had a need to do the same; the place was just bringing back the old memories by itself. When we were little, Hanbin used to drag me here a lot, and, even though, I didn’t want to go with him, I still had so much fun. His smile made the corners of my lips go up, it was like a magnet. He’s the only person who doesn’t pity me. How sad I am, he always tries to make me feel better. Hanbin is a good person. I don’t deserve him to be in my life.

“You know, I remember all the fun times we had here,” he muttered, getting my attention, “Like then when you fell down and got all covered in mud. You looked really sad, and I dirtied myself as well only to make you laugh.” Hanbin burst out laughing, but took a deep breath to finish the story first, “Then we went to your house, because you were worried that I’ll get yelled at.”

A picture of a younger Hanbin jumping into the dirt and hitting his head with a rock popped before my eyes, and brought up my hands to cover the smile on my face. He didn’t say anything, he didn’t complain, although, I could see a bruise from even under his cap.

“You didn’t change, Hanbin…” I looked at him, still smiling, and again recalled the dirty grinning boy, whose one front tooth was missing, but despite that he was still making funny and stupid faces cheer me up.

“You smiled. I’m happy.” He smiled faintly, “Let’s stay friends forever, promise?” Hanbin asked, raising his hand and showing me his pinky finger.

“Pinky promise.” I said, gluing our fingers together.

Later on, we both felt some rain drops hitting our faces or hands, and decided go home. Hanbin also insisted on accompanying me home, and even because I knew that convincing that stubborn ram, that I was perfectly fine to go alone, was impossible, we both left the playground

“My friend said he will be moving to Seoul sometime soon, he will also attend our school. I could introduce him to you. He’s a really funny and friendly guy.” He said, looked at me seriously, and took a deep sigh. “You really need friends, Min Yi. I’m just a brother—”

“A friend.” I corrected him.
“A friend who is like a brother.” Hanbin responded, “But you need real friends, you stay at home too much! You’re young, for God’s sake. Go outside!” He yelled, but I didn’t listen to his words. This talk takes place way too often between us.
After seeing, that I wasn’t interested his calmed down, “Just joking. Stay the way you are, I’m sure people will see you in this cocoon. Someday, they will see how beautiful your personality actually is…” Hanbin said dreamily. Sometimes I think that he takes care of me more than himself. And I’m pretty sure, he will be the one who will accompany me to buy a dress for prom. This boy sure was like an older brother, maybe even mom.
As soon as I thought that, I chuckled. “What’s so funny?” He asked, “I was trying to sound smart and wise.” I started laughing, but the laughter soon tuned down when I saw that we were nearing to my house. “I’ll be going then. See you in school, Hanbin!” I quickly said and ran towards the main door.

 

 

 

This is the first chapter. My first experience of doing something right. One of my good friends (probably best one) helped me a lot with this story! Please support her! Her name is theseriousone, give her some love. Anyway, hope you enjoyed! I'm really happy to write this story, and I'm really ecited that someone is reading it ^w^ PEACE~!