Part 1

Winter Memories

 

Heavy breaths took in the cold air as the winter’s chill crept into her body, even with the heavy winter jacket that she was wearing. The woman continued to trudge through the snow going only to a place she would know. It wasn’t like she was escaping from the realities of the world but coming back to a place filled with nostalgia.

Her hands remained in her pockets while she played with the keys but quickly retracted them with the door now in front of her. The building was old and had no inhabitants than herself. A place that was once bustling with many people is now a place full of emptiness, yet those old memories made her come back here every end of the year.

The woman wiped her feet on the carpet before shutting the door behind her. The wooden floors creaked as she made her way to the generator near the kitchen. With a flick of the switch, lights flickered on and the house became alive again. She looked around the cozy cabin and smiled thinking she was home again.

With the house finally warm enough and her bags settled into one of the rooms, the woman went over to the hissing sound of the pot of water that was on the stove. She carefully poured the hot water into a mug and took in the aroma of the cinnamon spice tea, “Mmm smells nice.” Suddenly an abrupt knock on the door almost made her drop the hot liquid on herself.

“Anyone there?” The woman carefully put down the mug and went to the window to see who was at her door. “Please if someone is here, I just need to use the phone. My car broke down.” Outside was a girl maybe her age that looked worried and the redness on her face meant she was probably very cold. The woman decided it was best help the frozen girl out. The door slowly opened and the girl outside gasped in pleasure as someone did live in this old home, “I am sorry to bother you, but do you have a phone?”

The woman tilted her head at the girl, “I don’t. Service isn’t really available out here. You can come in and warm up a bit. I will take you into town. I have my car over there.” The woman pointed at the car that was near a shed not far from the house.

With a bright smile, “Thank you so much!”

The woman moved aside to let the human-popsicle into her warm home. Like a snake, the woman shed off her heavy coat and sweater as the house was very very warm compared to the chilly night. “Here let me take your coat. We can leave in an hour or so, but you should warm up before we head out. Looks like you have been outside a long time.”

The girl looked at the woman, “I am sorry to trouble you like this.”

“No troubles. My name is Jessica by the way.”

The girl smiled brightly again, “Taeyeon. My name is Taeyeon.”

Jessica took the girl’s jacket and motioned her to sit, “I just made some tea, did you want any?”

Taeyeon was already sitting comfortably on the two-person sofa near the door, “I don’t want to...”

“It is no trouble. Let me make another.” Jessica handed the mug she was going to drink to Taeyeon while she went into the kitchen to make herself another mug.

Taeyeon was sitting curiously taking in her surroundings as she held the warm mug between her frozen hands. “Why do you live out here?”

Jessica finished preparing her tea and joined Taeyeon in the living room by sitting on chair across from her, “I don’t live here.”

“Oh? Why are you out here....alone?”

Jessica took in the warm tea, “This place used to belong to my parents. I come here to be with them for the holidays.”

“Oh so you are not alone?”

“I am. They passed.”

Taeyeon looked into her mug shamefully, “I am sorry...I didn’t mean to...”

“It is fine. They are here with me right now.”

Taeyeon looked up in shock, “Ghosts?!”

Jessica started laughing at the amusing girl, “No. Memories. They are in my memories. Every time I come here, I think about them and how we used to spend the holidays here as a family.” Jessica took another sip from her mug, “Were you going to see family?”

“No. I saw and left. I was heading back to the city.”

“You celebrated Christmas with them early?”

“Yes and no.”

Jessica saw the sorrowful face from the other girl, “You don’t need to tell me if you are uncomfortable.”

“No no. It is just that I wasn’t welcomed so I left. I try every year but year after year, they won’t take me back.”

“Disowned?”

“Yea...basically.”

Jessica leaned back in her chair, “Wow. I thought stuff like that only happened in the movies.”

“Nope. It really can happen. I will be your living proof,” she said with a forced smile.

Jessica sat thinking about how a family could just disown a child, “Does that mean you will be alone on Christmas?”

“Yep.”

Jessica nodded before looking up at the girl with hope, “I am usually alone. Do you want to keep me company?”

Taeyeon tilted her head in confusion, “We just met...”

“Oh I understand. I mean you don’t know me and I don’t know you...I am sorry for asking something...”

Hands were waving in panic, “No no! Not like that. I mean are you sure you are comfortable having a stranger here? Or I mean...I would be taking advantage.”

“You are more than welcome. You look harmless and you will just be helping me...not feel so lonely this Christmas.”

Taeyeon gave a shy smile, “I am more than happy to stay if you are alright with it and all. My car can always get fixed some other time.”

Jessica smiled at the girl. She started to take in the auburn hair, and chubby cheeks that were slightly pink, and those damp clothes.... “Did you need a change of clothes?”

“Huh?” Taeyeon was lost in the warmth of the home that she forgot that she slipped and fell in the snow. The snow must have melted upon entering the home causing her pants and the bottom of her shirt to become damp, “Again I would be troubling you...”

Jessica put her mug on the kitchen counter before the girl could say anything more. She reappeared with a warm sweater and pajama bottoms, “My sister is super skinny but tall so these will fit but be a little long I think.”

Taeyeon quickly shuffled over to the other woman and took the clothes from her graciously, “Thanks. Umm which room should I change?”

Jessica pointed to the room she came out of, “My room is fine.”

Taeyeon quickly made her way to the room to change which didn’t take long but she had curious eyes and they shifted to the photos around the room. She carefully looked at the happy family that was in all of them. Taeyeon picked up a certain frame with Jessica and a girl she assumed to be her sister by the similar facial features, “So this is what it would be like...”

A knock came at the door, “Taeyeon are you okay?”

Taeyeon carefully set down the photo before opening the door, “I am fine.”

Jessica smiled before looking the girl in the eyes, “Are you hungry?”

On cue, Taeyeon’s stomach grumbled, “I guess I am,” Taeyeon said sheepishly.

Jessica smiled and started to pull Taeyeon to the kitchen, “Good because I brought over some of my favorites.”

Taeyeon looked at the containers Jessica pulled out of the fridge, “Did you make these before coming here?”

“Some yes and some no. I am not the best cook and this kitchen isn’t fully stocked so it is best I pack food for a week.” Jessica popped one of the containers into the microwave before pulling out two plates, “Taeyeon just sit. I can take care of this.”

Taeyeon started to sit down at the table, “Are you sure you don’t need help?”

“Taeyeon, there is only one microwave. I am sure I can handle it. Plus you are my guest.”

“Uninvited guest....” Taeyeon mumbled.

Jessica gave the girl a harsh glare, “Don’t say that. I am more than happy to have you here.”

After dishing out some of the food, Jessica and Taeyeon were facing each other while eating their food quietly. Sometimes Taeyeon would take glances at Jessica or the darkness that lingered on the windows. “What if the generator goes?”

Jessica looked up from her plate, “I am paranoid so I have two backups. Don’t worry.” Taeyeon nodded but thought that was a stupid conversation starter. It made the conversation go nowhere and the silence was becoming awkward. “Hey Taeyeon do you have siblings?”

Taeyeon smiled thinking the girl was willing to converse, “Two. Sister and brother.”

“Do you umm get along with them?”

“Yes but my sister is with my parents so I don’t see her much. My brother is in university so I can see him. What about you...you mentioned a sister?”

“She isn’t here.”

“Did she move away?”

“You could say that. She left me the same time my parents did.”

Taeyeon almost choked on her food, “Ah I am sorry for bringing up that stuff again...”

“Again?”

“Yea your parents passed and now your sister...”

Jessica took one last drink of her tea before leaning back in the chair, “I don’t mind talking about it. It is a part of my life and it happened a while a go so most of the pain has gone with time.”

“I really didn’t mean to pry into your personal life.”

“I can’t say that I am too innocent either. I asked a bit about your personal life too.” Jessica stood up and took her empty plate to the sink, “It was 7 years ago. I was in university when I found out my parents and sister died in a drunk driving incident. Life comes easily but is also taken away just as fast.”

Taeyeon stood up and took her plate to the sink before taking the sponge from Jessica’s hands, “I can wash.” Jessica suddenly felt a bit tired so she let Taeyeon take over cleaning the dishes, “I am still envious you and your family.”

Jessica looked up at Taeyeon’s back, “How so?”

“I never had a happy household. There was always fighting between family members. I could see how much you and your family loved each other. Even for a short amount of time, I would have liked to experience that.”

Jessica smiled, “I am sure someday you will know what a happy family feels like.”

Taeyeon finished the last of the dishes allowing Jessica to put them back into their rightful places. “I am a bit tired. Where can I sleep?”

Jessica looked at the time and thought it was a bit early but if the girl wanted to sleep, she wouldn’t stop her, “Across from my room. If you are cold, there are more blankets in the closet.”

Taeyeon smiled before taking her little belongings to the assigned room, “Thank you again Jessica. Have a good night.”

Jessica smiled, “You too Taeyeon. Sleep well.”

 

 

Taeyeon opened her eyes slowly as the morning light shone into her eyes. She shuffled her way over to the nearest bathroom and took care of some business before making her way to an alluring scent of morning breakfast. She couldn’t remember the last time she woke up to someone else making a meal for her but it warmed her heart. Jessica saw the new body in the kitchen and smiled brightly, “Morning Taeyeon!”

Taeyeon looked at the spread of fruit, eggs, toast and some sausage, “You cooked?”

“I thought I should do a little at least for breakfast. Not much but enough.” Taeyeon took a seat and looked up towards Jessica for permission, “Go ahead Taeyeon. Eat up. You will need energy today.”

Taeyeon stuffed a piece of sausage in and savored the juicy and rich flavor, “Energy? Why?”

Jessica sat across from Taeyeon and started to eat her toast with an egg between it, “We have a full day since it is the day before Christmas.”

“Oh...it is Christmas Eve? I already forgot.”

Jessica smiled, “Just eat up and get dressed so we can leave.”

Taeyeon smiled and ate her meal happily.

 

 

Taeyeon stepped out of Jessica’s car with her eyes taking in the beautiful array of green, “We are getting a tree?”

Jessica took Taeyeon’s hand, “Of course! What is Christmas without a tree?”

Taeyeon didn’t even notice that Jessica had held her hand as she walked into the forest of trees, “So many to pick from...”

Jessica was busy looking around to find the perfect tree, “I may need your help Taeyeon. My father usually carries the tree but I always struggle alone.”

Taeyeon smiled, “I will be more than happy to help. Just think of me as your helper today!”

Jessica laughed at Taeyeon’s foolishness, “Good.” Spotting a beautiful pine tree, Jessica forcibly pulled Taeyeon, “This one!”

Taeyeon eyed up the smaller pine with its flush branches, “Wow. This would look nice.”

“Of course. It is perfect!”

After paying and a bit of struggling to put the pine tree on the car, the two girls left, “Taeyeon are you hungry?”

Taeyeon looked over to the clock and it was almost 1pm, “Were we really out that late?”

Jessica smiled, “I take that as we need to stop?”

Taeyeon agreed and they stopped at a small café, “Normally, we stop here at least once during our stay. They have the best pie.”

The warmth of the café and scent of cinnamon gave Taeyeon a fuzzy feeling inside like she stepped into her grandmother’s house (or the type she imagined from the movies). Jessica seemed to have wanted to sit in a particular seat so Taeyeon followed her into a corner booth, “This place seems really cozy.”

Jessica beamed a smile, “It is because it is family owned and they put a lot of love into running this place. A little love can make anything taste better too.”

Taeyeon blushed a bit before the waitress who was a plump older woman came over, “Jessica nice to see you around these parts again but who is your friend?”

“Taeyeon. She is alone for the holidays like me so I am letting her have your special pie this year.”

The waitress smiled, “I will sprinkle a little extra magic on top so you both have a joyful Christmas this year. Will it be the usual?”

“Of course. Two please this time and two hot chocolates.”

“Right up.” The older woman left as Taeyeon was hypnotized by the woman’s interaction with Jessica.

“She seems nice.”

Jessica leaned on her elbows, “It is because she is.”

The older woman came back with the pies and hot chocolates, “Here you go ladies. Enjoy.”

Jessica motioned to the pie, “Go ahead and try it. My treat.”

Taeyeon dug her fork into the crispy crust that then made the gooey filling seep out. With one wonderful bite, Taeyeon let out a happy sigh, “This really is amazing.”

Jessica sipped her hot chocolate, “I take it you are hooked?”

Taeyeon nodded happily, “I really have to come back for more some time.”

“I say that too but I feel like I would gain too many pounds if I come back as much as I wanted.”

Taeyeon giggled, “I will have to do my best to control my urges too then.”

 

 

With full stomachs, the girls arrived back with the sun starting to set, “Wow it gets dark so early.”

Jessica stopped untying the tree and looked up at the sky, “We should quickly take this down before it gets cold.”

Taeyeon rushed over to help Jessica with the tree but even with two pairs of hands, the two girls struggled immensely to get that tree into the home. With many fallen needles lining the doorway, hallway, and living room, the tree was settled near the fireplace. Being the little helper, Taeyeon went to clean up the mess while Jessica fished out a box in the closet, “Taeyeon stop cleaning and help me.”

Taeyeon was already finished cleaning as she went over to Jessica who was pulling out what looked like decorations, “We are going to decorate the tree?”

“Way to ask the obvious. Of course! We can’t have a blank tree. We need to make it look festive.”

Taeyeon smiled and helped decorate the tree with tinsel and random ornaments, “We never had a tree in our home...”

Jessica looked at Taeyeon in disbelief, “Really? How can you have Christmas without a tree? Where do you put the presents?”

“We just got money and my parents were working.”

“What kind of job makes you work on a holiday?”

Taeyeon put up another ornament, “They are both doctors.”

“Oh I see. They treat patients...I guess that isn’t a bad reason to skip Christmas then. Did you also become a doctor?”

Taeyeon started to frown, “Actually, that is why I got disowned. I failed my examinations on purpose so I could follow my dream.”

Jessica stopped decorating so she could face Taeyeon, “Dream?”

“Yea. I like painting so I became an artist instead.”

“Wow...I can’t even draw a stick-figure.”

Taeyeon started to giggle at Jessica, “Yea well that could be a good thing. It doesn’t get you disowned.”

Jessica saw the conversation going sour so she handed Taeyeon the star that was in her hand, “Here Taeyeon you put on the finishing touch.” Taeyeon looked at the star in her hand before reaching tall and putting the star on top, “You know the star means ‘the shining hope of mankind.’ In this way, I have hope that you will make things better with your family Taeyeon. Never give up hope.” Taeyeon smiled at Jessica’s kind words, “Now how about we bake some cookies?”

Taeyeon looked back at Jessica, “Isn’t it late to be thinking about sweets?”

Jessica shook her head in disbelief, “My dear Taeyeon, you need to get into the holiday spirit a bit more.” Taking the initiative, Jessica pushed Taeyeon into the kitchen and pulled out a package of premixed dry ingredients and a baking pan, “It is easy since I prepared most at home. Just add 3 eggs and water. Then we will roll them flat.” Jessica then opened a drawer, “We flatten them so we can use these cutters and make some pretty cookies!”

Taeyeon did as Jessica instructed and was amazed at the Christmas theme cookies that emerged from the oven along with the sweet scent of fresh baked goods, “I think we did it right!”

Jessica laughed, “I would hope so since I have done this for several years on my own.” Jessica placed a few of the cookies on the plate next to her, “Come on Taeyeon I want to show you something.”

Taeyeon watched as Jessica placed the plate of cookies on the fireplace, “Are we eating these out here?”

Jessica smiled, “No. We don’t eat these. These cookies are going to stay here overnight.”

Taeyeon cocked her head, “Why would we do that?”

Jessica ruffled Taeyeon’s hair, “You really don’t know much about Christmas. Santa comes and bring presents if we leave the cookies here overnight.”

Taeyeon just nodded her head although the idea was still a bit childish. The two girls packed up the remaining cookies before settling into the quiet night.

 

 

“Merry Christmas!!!!” Taeyeon’s eyes opened in surprise as a very happy and awake Jessica looked down at her.

“Merry Christmas?”

Jessica started to pull Taeyeon out of bed, “Come on lazy ! We have presents!”

Taeyeon followed the forceful pulling, “Presents?” The two made it into the living room with presents under the tree, “Why presents?”

“I told you before that the tree is needed to make presents.” Jessica then pointed to the cookies that were now gone, “I can guess who may have given them too.”

Taeyeon chucked as she saw a few crumbs on Jessica’s night gown, but still went to sit down on the floor to read the names on some of the presents. Some were for Jessica’s family and for Jessica....also, one with her name, “Me?”

Jessica sat on the floor with Taeyeon, “Looks like it, you should open it.”

Taeyeon took the present and carefully unwrapped it. It was a book, “A Christmas Story.” A smile formed on Taeyeon’s face, “Jessica you didn’t have to.”

“I wanted to. I think this story would do you good.”

A tear slowly formed on Taeyeon’s face, “This is really the nicest thing anyone has done for me.”

Jessica’s smile was calm as she took away the tear from Taeyeon’s face, “You have no idea how great of a gift you were to me this Christmas Taeyeon.”

Taeyeon looked up to Jessica, “What? Why me? You showed me so much kindness and gave me so many gifts.”

“Taeyeon if you didn’t show up, I would have been alone. I wouldn’t have been able to have a true family Christmas. Taeyeon, thanks for being my family this holiday. I hope I can have the same gift next year.”

“Thanks for sharing your family with me this holiday too Jessica.” The two girls smiled as they were both able to enjoy a Christmas together. Maybe not the last together?