Chapter 7

The Day of Discovery

“I cannot believe those two are finally together,” Yuri smiled, walking with Sunny to their apartment, carrying plastic shopping bags.  It was late in the afternoon and the pair had returned from their interrogation and the usual fortnightly grocery trip.

“Me neither,” Sunny answered.  “I knew Taeyeon liked Jessica, but never thought it was the other way around.  Especially with Isuel on the scene.”

“Tell me about it,” Yuri laughed.  “I wonder if he knows, too.”

Sunny shrugged, reminding herself to ask that question of Jessica another time.  “If he does, I damn well hope he’s as supportive of her as she is of him.”

They continued along the approach, before Yuri slowed a little.  A dark blue sedan caught her eye, parked in the building’s car park.  As they walked closer to the building, her phone rang from her back pocket.  Stopping to remove her handset from her jeans, she tapped the “Answer” button on her screen.

“Hi Mom!” she beamed.  “What are you doing here?”

“We just came to see you,” the older female answered.  “But you’re not home.”

“We’re just coming back now,” Yuri explained.  “We’ll be up in two minutes.”

Sunny held the door open for her as Yuri carried her bags in one hand and held her phone to her ear.  She had yet to meet Yuri’s parents, although Yuri had met hers shortly before they had confessed their love to each other.  Being faced with the opportunity to meet the people responsible for giving life to this amazing woman made her incredibly nervous.  Being faced with it unannounced and unprepared made her nauseated.  Being faced with it and not being able to express her gratitude depressed her.  She knew that her parents would expect her with Yuri, because Yuri had told them they were living together, but at some point they would be discovering their relationship.  That was a different experience entirely.

The pair climbed the stairs to their apartment, meeting two older people outside.  The woman was only a couple of inches taller than Sunny and the man half a head taller than his daughter.  Sunny bowed respectfully to them both.  “This is a surprise,” Yuri declared, unlocking the door and leading the trio inside.  “What brings you here?”

“Can we not see our lovely daughter unannounced?” Mr Kwon joked.

“Of course you can!” Yuri laughed.  “But you are always so busy.”  She placed the bags on the kitchen worktops and hugged her parents before ushering them to available seats, allowing Sunny the opportunity to relieve herself of her own cargo.

“You must be Sunny,” Mrs Kwon smiled.  Sunny bowed again in respect.  “Oh, don’t be so formal,” she laughed, holding her arms open to hug the suddenly meek woman.  Sunny smiled nervously, but accepted the familial embrace.  “We finally get to meet you!” she exclaimed.  “Yuri has spoken so much about you.”

“She talks a lot about you too,” Sunny blushed, accepting a second embrace from Mr Kwon.  She could see Yuri squirming out of the corner of her eye.

“How is she treating you?” Mr Kwon asked.  “I hope she isn’t annoying you with her bad habits.”

“Dad!” Yuri yelled.

Sunny laughed.  “She’s been most gracious,” she praised.  “I wouldn’t want to share an apartment with anyone else.”

“Well, you are definitely a positive influence on our little girl,” Mrs Kwon declared, removing her coat and putting it over the back of her chair.  “I’ve never seen her looking so healthy.  Although she is getting a little chubby.”

“Mom!” Yuri yelled, getting more embarrassed.

“I think she looks perfect,” countered Sunny.  “And I’m glad she’s looking more the way she used to in the old photos she has.”

“Well, whatever it is,” Mrs Kwon sat at the dining room table, “I most definitely approve.”

Yuri shook her head in dismay.  “Would you like something to drink?” she asked, promptly changing the subject.

“Green tea would be nice,” Mrs Kwon mused.  Mr Kwon grunted in agreement.

“I’ll do it,” Sunny offered quietly, taking the best opportunity she had to avoid any further embarrassment with Yuri’s parents.  They were nice and sweet enough, and she wanted to still maintain her respectful and polite demeanour.  After all, what parents would want their child to date someone who was rude and disrespectful to them?

Semi-reluctantly, Yuri took her place opposite her parents.  “So, how is our daughter?” Mrs Kwon asked.

“I’m ok,” Yuri smiled, the sound of Sunny gently placing mugs on the work surface in the background.  “Training is getting harder, but it’ll be worth it.”

“Of course it will,” Mr Kwon praised her.  “You will definitely be signed.  I know you’re in the group too, aren’t you Sunny?”

Sunny nodded.  “Sunny was one of the original members,” Yuri added.  “And she and I have been writing some songs for the group.  She’s really a talented writer!”

“I’m not that good,” Sunny countered modestly.

“If Yuri says you’re good, I am inclined to believe her,” Mr Kwon beamed proudly.  Sunny bowed and poured the boiling water into the waiting mugs, whilst Yuri looked at her with the cheeky look of pride that screamed “See?  You’re awesome.  Now don’t fight me.”

“Have you heard anything more from the labels?” Mrs Kwon asked.  “Last I heard, Tiffany had been applying for so many agencies.”

“None of the independent labels seem to want to sign us so far,” Yuri sighed.  “But we’ll keep trying.  Tiff isn’t going to give up that easily.”

“She never does,” Sunny praised their absent member, bringing the freshly made drinks to the table.  “She seems to keep on at everything until it works out.”

“She makes her father proud,” Mr Kwon mused.  “And I’m sure her mother would be proud too.”

A sombre moment passed between the group as Sunny returned to collect her drink.  “I guess I should leave you to catch up,” she said, politely excusing herself.

“Are you sure?” Mrs Kwon asked.  “We’d be happy for you to join us.”

“Really?” Sunny asked, uncertain of her next step.

“Certainly,” Mr Kwon stated firmly.  “Come, sit.  Let us get to know you a little better.  You are a friend of Yuri’s, and it is your house after all.”

Sunny nodded and took the empty seat next to Yuri, much to Yuri’s relief.

“So what have you two been doing?” Yuri enquired.  “Anything new happened lately?”

“No, nothing really,” Mrs Kwon mused.  “Although we have had a couple of odd conversations with your brother since you returned from Boston.  He talked about being ‘open to new ideas’ and told us not to be angry.  I have no idea what he was talking about.”

“It’s probably the American air,” Mr Kwon joked.  “It’s sending him crazy.  Next thing you know, he’ll come home and tell us he has a boyfriend.”

Mrs Kwon playfully slapped her husband’s arm, with Yuri giving a small, highly nervous laugh.  Sunny didn’t react at all.

“I’m sorry,” Mr Kwon apologised, “I know they have a different way of life over there.  Although he has been speaking oddly lately.  Very cryptic.”

Sunny sipped at her tea, keeping quiet.  Yuri was so nervous, and becoming more uncomfortable as the moments passed.  Sunny, in comparison, remained cold and composed, keeping her own nerves in check.

“Oh, and we bumped into that Do-hun boy you were dating a while ago,” Mrs Kwon remembered.  “He said he saw you two at the airport before you left.”

“He what?” Yuri asked, shocked that her ex-boyfriend was still around.  In the months since she had left her parents’ house, she hadn’t seen hide nor hair of him.

Mr Kwon nodded disdainfully at the mention of the thorn that had been removed from their sight.  “He said you both seemed very close, much closer than you and Yoona ever were.”

Yuri’s face drained of all colour.  She could feel her stomach tightening.  Sunny could feel it too.  And after Mr Kwon’s “gay” joke, she wasn’t looking forward to where the conversation was heading.

“If I didn’t know better,” Mr Kwon sighed, laughing to himself, “I would have sworn he was inferring you two were an item.”

Sunny swallowed hard.  She had never met Yuri’s ex, and hoped that she never would.  If she did, she knew she would not be responsible for her actions.

“Oh, stop it dear,” Mrs Kwon chastised him.  “You know they are just friends.”

“Mom?” Yuri spoke immediately, without realising what she was doing.  As the adults caught their child’s gaze, they both placed their mugs on the table.  The immediacy of her response shocked Sunny too.

“Yes sweetheart?” Mrs Kwon asked, now noticing the pale look on her daughter’s face.

“What did he say?” she asked calmly after a few moments of uncomfortable silence.

“Oh, nothing,” she shook her head.  “Just that he was glad you had found someone you could be yourself with.”

“Ironic,” Mr Kwon scoffed.  “He spent all those months telling you to change yourself and he’s now suddenly glad that you can be yourself.”

“Why do you ask?” Mrs Kwon enquired.  “Is everything ok?”
That question made Mr Kwon notice his daughter’s expression.  “Has he said anything to you?” he asked.  Yuri immediately shook her head.  “Done anything?”  Another shake of the head.  Mr Kwon looked on, crossing off reasons to explain the way Yuri was looking.  Sunny looked directly at her, judging whether this was the time to jump in and protect her partner, whether Yuri was planning to reveal their relationship.

“It wasn’t your father, was it?” Mrs Kwon asked.  “Oh, I knew they would feel uncomfortable with your jokes,” she chastised him again, with more sincerity in this admonishment.

“It’s true,” Yuri caught her breath as the words left without warning.  She avoided her parents’ gazes, looking down at the wall behind them.  The three accompanying occupants of the kitchen looked on as Yuri tried to form her next sentence.

“What’s true?” Mr Kwon asked.  “I’m sorry if I offended you, Yuri.  I just …”
“Sunny and … we’re … I mean,” Yuri’s breathing was becoming slightly erratic, more so as she became more flustered.

“Yuri,” Mrs Kwon attempted to comfort her.  “What’s wrong?”

Sunny took hold of Yuri’s hands.  “I … I think what Yuri’s trying to say,” she started, watching her lover panic and struggle to breathe.  She saw her lip trembling, fighting to let her words loose.  Sunny knew she had to say something, she had to help ease the burden Yuri was piling onto her own shoulders.  She had to take control.  “What she means is, you were right.  It did sound like he said we were an item.”  Sunny squeezed her hands.  “Because … we are.”

“What?” Mr Kwon asked, confused.

“We’re dating,” Yuri whispered, her voice trembling.  “Sunny and I … we really are dating.”

Silence fell over the room.  Neither of Yuri’s parents knew what to say.

“We’ve been together for about two months now,” Sunny continued, much calmer and louder than Yuri, “and … I for one have never been happier or more in love with anyone.”  She looked up at Yuri’s parents, trying to gauge their reaction, then turned her attention to Yuri.  “I’m angry that he had to say such a thing, but I love Yuri.  We are an item.  We are together.”

Mr and Mrs Kwon looked at their daughter, stunned into silence.  They had never intended to cause this upset, but to know that an off-hand comment was accurate?  They didn’t know what to say.  Yuri looked at Sunny and saw her eyes fixed on hers.  They held such calm, such determination, such composure.  The sight relaxed Yuri, it gave her strength and purpose.

“Mom?  Dad?” Yuri started.  “I … I know you … you don’t want this, but … I’m not going to give Sunny up,” she declared, holding Sunny’s hands closer.  Sunny put up no resistance.  “We didn’t want to tell you like this,” she carried on.  “We wanted to tell you properly, when we were ready.  We’re still getting to know each other, but I know that I love her and …” she turned to look at her girlfriend, who was looking directly back at her.  “I know that I’m meant to be with her,” Yuri smiled.

Sunny took a deep breath and squeezed Yuri’s hands.  She couldn’t let her lover face this alone.

“Yuri,” Mr Kwon started.

“Mr Kwon,” Sunny interrupted him.  “I know you don’t like this, and I know you’re not happy with this, but I just want you to know that … that I love Yuri.  I’m not happy you found out like this, and I wish you had found out in a better way.  One where Do-hun hadn’t spread our secret as if it was his right to share.  I know people will hate us, and I know you won’t like our relationship, but I’m not giving her up.”  Yuri gave Sunny’s hands a squeeze, not stopping her speech.  “And I’m not giving up on her.  Yuri means so much to me, she’s …” Sunny held back the tears that were close to falling, but was rapidly losing the fight.  “She’s literally everything to me.  She’s the only reason I wake up in the morning, and the only reason I hate sleep.  Because I wake up and see her, and sleep takes me away from her.  I love her, I love everything about her.”  Tears fell from her eyes, but Yuri made no attempt to clear them up.  “I wish that I could change that we were two women, just so people would accept us, but I can’t.  I would do anything to make our relationship right, to make it appropriate in people’s eyes, to make it acceptable, just as long as we were still together.  I know that she feels the same way because she tells me every single day and … and …”

“Sunny,” Mr Kwon stopped her, calmly.  “Enough.”

She didn’t stop.  “You can hate me all you want, sir,” she declared.  “You can tell everyone how much I will be going to hell, how much I’ve corrupted your daughter, how evil I am.  You can turn every person in the world against me.  Start lynch mobs against me.  Just …”  Streams of tears, unstoppable, cascaded down her cheeks.  “Please don’t be mad at Yuri.  Please don’t hate her.  Hate me, I don’t care, just … not her.”

Mrs Kwon’s eyes were filling up at the visible pain Yuri and Sunny were both going through.  Mr Kwon remained stoic, his demeanour not betraying a hint of emotion.  “Sunny,” he tried again, calmly, before stopping for a few moments to compose himself.

“Dad,” Yuri jumped in, tears flowing in equal measures to her partner’s, “I love Sunny.  And I’m not leaving her.  No matter what happens, no matter what you say.”  She pulled Sunny’s hands closer to her.  “We’re in this together.”

Mr Kwon took a deep breath and sat back.  “Are you finished?” he asked.  Their silence answered his question.  Two pairs of sodden eyes looked back at him with such force, such strength, such unity.  “Sunny,” he started, “let go of my daughter’s hands, please?”  Yuri held her hands tighter, preventing Sunny from letting go.  “Please?” he asked, calmly and softly.  Sunny turned to look at Yuri, furrowed her brow and nodded.  Obediently, Yuri let go.  Without a word, Sunny stood up and walked towards Mr Kwon, her hands by her side, her shoulders thrown back.  Mr Kwon turned to face his wife, smiled at her and patted her thigh, before standing to meet the woman who had declared her love for his daughter, the extra inches he had over her intimidating her.  As much as she tried to hide it, she couldn’t.  And he knew.  He lowered his face towards hers, keeping his nose inches away from hers.  Resistance and tenaciousness met his gaze.  “I’m going to teach you a lesson that you should know,” Mr Kwon instructed, his soft tones and subtle body language making sure that not one person would stand in between them, despite the strength Yuri and Sunny used to remain restrained and calm.  “Never,” he spoke sternly, “ever … think that I will hate you for showing my daughter love and respect.”  A subtle smile crossed his face.  “You’re giving to my little girl exactly what any father wants his little girl to have.  The fact that you’re also a woman … will take some getting used to.”  He reached out and took her hand, as Sunny’s boldness crumbled and sobs flowed.  “But you love her and she loves you.  And I can see that you make her happy in ways I’ve never seen.  I can’t object to that.  I can’t hate that.”  A wider smile elicited louder wails from Sunny and an impromptu embrace of relief.  Mr Kwon wrapped his arms around Sunny and held her as she sobbed, letting out all of the emotion she had compressed into rage.  Yuri broke down into a heap at the sight, her own tensions and anxieties evaporating instantly.  Without a word, Mrs Kwon stood up and met with Yuri, bringing her into a comforting hug of her own.  As Sunny pulled away and wiped her eyes, Mr Kwon bent over until his face was level with hers.  “You’ve made my daughter very happy,” he smiled.  “I might wish you were a guy, but more than that, I wish you never stop whatever it is that makes her smile.”

Sunny smiled behind her tears and shook her head with firm determination.  “I won’t, sir,” she promised.  “I’ll do everything I can to keep her happy.”

Mr Kwon nodded, satisfied, before turning to his daughter.  “Come here, you,” he commanded, as Yuri walked to him to join in the small group hug.  Sunny held her tightly to her, the couple letting out all of their sorrows and worries together.  “I’m sorry I upset you both,” Mr Kwon apologised, meaning every word of it.  The girls remained silent, only the sounds of their sobs permeating through the air, but they knew he was forgiven.  Moments passed with nothing but intermittent sobs hanging in the air.  Mr Kwon released the girls and sat on the chair he had vacated, as Sunny tended to her blubbing partner, wiping her eyes with her thumbs.

“It’s ok,” she whispered, “it’s ok.”

Yuri nodded.  “I have you,” she whispered back, “it will always be ok”.

 

“Do your parents know?” Mrs Kwon asked, after the girls had calmed down and returned to the table.  Not once had they separated their hands since they returned.

They shook their heads.  “We wanted to wait for a while before we told you and them,” Sunny explained.  “It isn’t exactly something that parents are quite happy to hear.”

Mr Kwon nodded tentatively.  “Perhaps,” he admitted, “but not every parent is against … same- couples.”

Sunny nodded thoughtfully, taking in his advice.

“If it helps,” he offered, “we’re more than happy to come along to support you both.”

“You … you’d do that?” Sunny asked, shocked.  Mr Kwon nodded, confirming his intent.  Mrs Kwon simply smiled.  “I don’t know what to say,” Sunny blushed, shaking her head in disbelief.

“I think ‘Thank you’ would be a good place to start,” Mrs Kwon smirked.

“Thank you,” Sunny laughed, “thank you, a million times thank you!”

“Just once is enough,” Mr Kwon chuckled, “and you’re welcome.  It’s the least we can do.”

Sunny let out a long and deep breath, feeling the weight on her shoulders lifting immensely.  Whilst the whole experience had started off in the worst possible way, the acceptance of Yuri’s parents was breathtakingly refreshing, and their support was truly strengthening.

Yuri leaned her head against Sunny’s shoulder, fatigued.  “I’m so sorry we kept it from you.”

Mr Kwon shook his head and waved his hand dismissively.  “We understand, sweetheart,” he assured her.

“I think we had better go,” Mrs Kwon advised her husband.  “I think this has been a little much for those two.”

“I agree,” Mr Kwon answered, slowly standing up and pushing the creases from his trousers.  The girls stood too, and Yuri walked around to hug her parents’ goodbye.  Politely, Sunny stood, her hands clasped in front of her.  As Yuri pulled away, Mr Kwon invited Sunny into a hug with them, which she graciously accepted.  “You two take care,” he wished them as he let go of Sunny, allowing her to return to Yuri.  Sunny bowed respectfully and reached out to Yuri for her hand.

“Wait,” Yuri called as her parents turned to leave.  “Do … do you have to … to go anywhere?”

“No,” Mrs Kwon recalled, “but you both could do with a break.”

Yuri looked slightly away, pondering.  Sunny turned to look at her.  “Well …” Yuri looked at Sunny, weighing up something.  “If you want to, Sunny,” she started, “and if you don’t mind,” she turned to her parents.

Her parents caught on quickly.  “I think you’ve had enough taken out of you for one day,” Mr Kwon advised.  “Let’s deal with that on another day.”

“Actually,” Sunny corrected him, “I … I can’t think of a better time.”
“There are plenty of better times,” Mrs Kwon warned softly.

“Well, yes,” Sunny conceded, “but we should have told you sooner.  And I will regret that for a long time.  But, as they say, ‘there’s no time like the present’.”

Mr and Mrs Kwon looked at each other, before looking at the couple.  “Are you sure this is what you want to do?” Mr Kwon asked.

They didn’t need to look at each other to check.  Yuri and Sunny grasped each other’s hand tightly in solidarity and nodded.  They had each other.  They had Yuri’s parents and her brother.  They had the girls.  They had every one of these people on their side.  Whatever happened, whatever Sunny’s parents could say, nothing would break their resolve.

 

------