Chapter 5

The Day of Discovery

“I see what you mean about Taeyeon being distracted,” Yuri remarked.  She and Sunny had left the bustle of the girls’ meeting behind and were making the most of their free afternoon at the zoo, admiring the animals that were there to entertain the patrons.  The weather was very warm, which had prompted Sunny to maintain her feminine style from yesterday, opting for a short orange dress, tied with a brown belt around her waist, paired with deep blue jeans and her black Converse shoes.  Yuri opted for a black and white striped t-shirt, black jeans and similar black shoes to Sunny, topped off with a black peaked cap.  Both girls wore sunglasses to protect their eyes, although Sunny wore hers on top of her head for style, where Yuri wore hers on her nose for function.

“I wish I knew what was wrong with her,” Sunny mused.  “It’s like, she’s forever spaced out.”

“And Jess too,” Yuri added.

“Yeah, well she has an excuse,” Sunny leaned forward, admiring the meerkats.

Yuri leaned next to her, secretively touching her hand.  It was hard keeping their relationship hidden, but unless they wanted to face lynch mob after lynch mob after crucifixion, they had to hide it.

“They are so cute, aren’t they,” Sunny cooed, her aegyo showing at the little animals in their enclosure.

“Maybe we should get you one of your own,” Yuri suggested.

“No,” Sunny smiled.  “Although I would like a puppy, one day.”

The pair left the enclosure and walked along the path, arm in arm, acting like the best of friends, stopping only to buy ice cream from one of the passing vendors.  They toured the zoo up to the koala enclosure, pointing out all of the animals and taking plenty of photographs.  It was strange for them both; they felt like tourists in their home city.  They reached the koalas and watched them resting in the sun.

“They look so peaceful,” Yuri sighed.  “Just sitting there, eating leaves, without a care in the world.”

“Yeah,” Sunny smiled.  “They only care where their next meal is coming from, whether it’s raining or who all of these weird people are.”

“You think I’m weird?” Yuri asked, pretending to be offended.

“Of course!” Sunny replied.  “You’re like the second weirdest person I know!”

“Oh really?” Yuri asked.  “And who exactly is the first weirdest person you know?”

“That would be me,” Sunny smiled, proud of her admission.

Yuri glared at Sunny for a moment, trying not to laugh.  “Actually,” she nodded, “you’re right.  You’re the weirdest person I know too.”

“Hey!” Sunny shouted, hitting Yuri’s arm.  “You were supposed to say ‘No Sunny, you’re not weird, you’re perfect and sweet and wonderful and I’m so honoured to know you’.”

“I know, but I was raised not to lie,” Yuri smirked, walking away.

Sunny narrowed her eyes and pouted her lips in the cutest angry face she could.  The only thing that would have made her reaction cuter would have been the sweat droplet that most people saw in anime cartoons or comic books.

Yuri turned around, smiling.  “You coming, Sunny?” she asked.  Sunny turned her head to face her, still maintaining her reaction.  “I’ll get you a hot dog,” Yuri coaxed, playfully.  No change.  “With cheese and fried onions?”  Still no change.  “And a bottle of apple juice.”  Still no change, although at least she was walking towards her.

Sunny walked until she was inches from Yuri, keeping her reaction.  “It’s a good job you’re pretty,” she whispered, before turning away and breaking into a cheeky smirk.

 

The pair sat on one of the benches that aligned the paths, finishing their belated lunch; Sunny with her hot dog and Yuri with a cheeseburger.

“I think this is turning into the best date I’ve had lately,” Sunny smiled.

“Me too,” Yuri agreed.  “We should have more like it.”

Sunny nodded, finishing the last mouthful of her hotdog and scrunching the paper into a ball.  “Finished?” she asked, holding out her hand for Yuri’s trash.  Obediently, Yuri handed Sunny her dirty napkin, which Sunny promptly threw into the trash can.  “Let’s go,” Sunny declared, eager to continue their date.  Yuri stood up and linked Sunny’s arm, just as before.  The pair walked to a cross path and looked around, deciding which way to turn.

“Sunny?” a familiar voice called from behind her.

The pair turned around to find Leo walking towards them.

“We have to stop meeting like this,” he joked, laughing at his own comment.

“We do,” Sunny smiled, begging the gods of every religion she could name that this would indeed be the last time she would have to see his face.

“It’s Yuri, right?” Leo asked, extending his hand.

“Yeah, it is,” Yuri took his hand and shook it politely.

“So, you’re here alone?” Sunny asked, confused.

“Actually,” he started, before a female voice called out to him.

“There you are,” a young, cute, slim brunette ran over to him, taking his arm in hers and handing him a portion of fries.

“Thanks babe,” he smiled, accepting the food.

“Hi,” the girl smiled.  “I’m Seo Yeon.”  She extended her hand to Sunny.

“Sunny,” she introduced herself, shaking the newcomer’s hand.

“Yuri,” she introduced.

“Nice to meet you,” Seo Yeon smiled, squeezing Leo’s arm.

“You too,” Sunny smiled.  She could tell this conversation was going to play havoc with her tooth enamel.

“So, how do you guys know Leo?” Seo Yeon asked.

“I’m his ex-girlfriend,” Sunny nodded.

“Oh,” the friendly smile faded and was immediately replaced with a smile that was surely reserved for fights.

“Yeah,” Sunny nodded.  “We broke up a while ago, but it’s all good.  We both moved on.”

Leo laughed nervously as Seo Yeon held him closer.  “Yeah.  Although I’m sure we’re going to be much stronger,” she boasted.  “We’ve been together for almost seven months and we’re as in love as the day we met.”

“Seven months, huh?” Sunny asked, looking at Leo knowingly.  “Congratulations.”

Yuri looked at Sunny, narrowing her eyes.  She wanted to lay into both Leo and his of a girlfriend, and she couldn’t understand why Sunny was being so friendly to them.

“I know,” Seo Yeon gloated.  “He isn’t going to get away from me so easily.”  She gave his arm a squeeze for emphasis.

“Babe, come on,” he pleaded quietly, “not in public.”

Seo Yeon pouted, trying to get him to concede.  “Hey, let her show she loves you,” Sunny smiled.  “She is your girlfriend.”

Seo Yeon giggled churlishly, leaning against him.  “So, where are your boyfriends?” she asked.

“What boyfriends?” Sunny asked, acting puzzled.

“You said you had moved on,” Seo Yeon explained.

“Oh,” Sunny nodded her head, pretending she had caught on.  “No, Yuri’s my girlfriend,” she admitted, feeling Yuri turn and glare at her, surprised at her prompt and unreserved admission.

“Wh-what?” Seo Yeon asked.

Sunny nodded.  “We’ve only been together for two months, but we’ve never been happier,” she gazed at Yuri and grinned.

“She’s joking,” Leo corrected her.  “They just live together.”

“And sleep together and shower together,” Sunny added.  Yuri wasn’t sure if to laugh or fume.  Sunny’s honesty, whilst being exactly what Leo and Seo Yeon needed, was surely inappropriate given their public location.

“Ok, seriously,” Seo Yeon dropped her smile.

“They’re joking,” Leo repeated confidently.  “When we bumped into each other last time, Yuri said she had a boyfriend.”

Yuri looked at him and hesitated for a moment, unsure of what to answer.  Although now was no time to let Sunny down.  “No, I didn’t,” she responded.

“You did,” Leo stated.  “When I shook your hand.”

“No, I just said I was with someone,” Yuri corrected him.  “I never specified a gender.”

Seo Yeon and Leo looked between Sunny and Yuri, trying to get some kind of tell-tale sign that they were jesting.  None could be found.

“You’re … lesbians?” Leo hissed.

The pair nodded.

“Why?” Seo Yeon asked, disgusted by their audacity.  “There are so many cute guys out there, why would you want another girl?”

“Why not?” Sunny stood confidently.  “I want someone I love and respect and that loves and respects me in return.  Why can’t it be another girl?”

“But,” Leo argued, “it’s not natural.”

“Who says?” Yuri countered.  “There are plenty of gay couples in the world.  And there are gay couples in pretty much every species on the planet.  What’s so unnatural about us?”

“It just isn’t right,” Seo Yeon curled her nose up.  “Girls should be with handsome men,” she placed her hand on Leo’s chest to make her point.  “Although I guess guys do look for that certain something,” she looked Sunny up and down, judging her in so many ways.

“Hey,” Yuri spat, “Sunny is much more…”

“Yuri, hush,” Sunny pushed her love back.  “You’re right,” Sunny smiled sweetly at Seo Yeon.  “Some guys do look for that certain something, and Leo has clearly found it in you.  I guess I just didn’t have it, and,” she shrugged, “I guess I never will.  I am glad that he has found it though.  You both look so good together, I … I really think you deserve each other.”

Yuri looked directly at Sunny.  Every word that came out of sounded real and heartfelt.  Any passer-by would have said her comments were true and genuine, but they shouldn’t have been.  ‘Sunny would be perfect for a real man’, she thought, ‘how can she be saying this?’

“Thank you,” Seo Yeon smiled, gazing lovingly at her boyfriend.  “I happen to agree.”

“Anyway,” Sunny smiled, “I don’t think we should keep you from your date.  You kids enjoy yourselves.”

“We will,” Seo Yeon beamed and walked away, almost dragging Leo with her.

“What the hell was that for?” Yuri hissed.  “Why didn’t you tell her what he was like?”

“What?” Sunny asked.  “And come across as the bitter ex?  Besides,” she reasoned, “if you were with your ex and I told you what he was really like, would you have believed me?”

“No,” Yuri answered, “but that needs to be put straight.”

“And she will be,” Sunny smiled.

“Sunny, you said you didn’t have what a guy wants,” Yuri argued.  “You have everything that a man wants.”

“But not what he wants,” she countered.

“What’s the difference?”

“Leo isn’t like the men you’re thinking of.  He wants a girl who is gullible, naïve and will throw herself at him to make him happy,” Sunny explained.  “And I don’t have that any more.  I have … oh, what’s the word I’m looking for … ‘standards’.”

Yuri shook her head and laughed.  “But still,” she started.

“And besides,” Sunny continued, “he hasn’t changed.  You saw him at the mall.  He said he had been single for months.  He said he wanted me back.  He was cocky enough to say I wouldn’t want him back yet.  And she still believes his lines.  You saw how she was.  I might as well have been covered in toxic waste, and that was before we came out to them.”

Yuri nodded, remembering.

“If she wants to believe him,” Sunny linked Yuri’s arm and walked away with her, “she can.  If she wants to treat us like , she can.  If she expects me to warn her about what a prized douchebag he is after treating me like that, the girl has another think coming.”

“So you’re going to let her get hurt by him?” Yuri asked, a little stunned.

Sunny nodded.

“Why?”

“She needs to learn the hard way,” Sunny reasoned.

“But she’ll come at you even harder,” Yuri warned.

“She can’t,” Sunny smiled.  “She wouldn’t believe me if I told her the truth, she treated me like crap when I treated her with absolute respect, and she’s gullible enough to act like everything is perfect between them.  She would only have herself to blame.”

Yuri sighed.

“I know what you mean,” Sunny stopped and stood in front of her.  “But why should I give her a peek at what he’s really like, if she’s going to look at us as though we’re something she’s scraped off the bottom of her shoe?”

Yuri nodded, seeing her point of view.

“One day, he will cross the wrong woman,” Sunny prophesised.  “And when that day comes, you and I will be sitting, eating popcorn and enjoying the fireworks.”

Yuri shook her head.  “That is kind of cruel,” she admitted.  “And a little selfish.”

“Maybe,” Sunny agreed, turning to carry on their walk.  “But I don’t see why I should worry about someone who doesn’t give a damn about me.”

Yuri resigned herself to defeat.  She trusted Sunny to know what she was doing, and said nothing more on the topic.

“Hey,” Sunny nudged.  “How about we go out tonight, have dinner together?”

“Sounds good,” Yuri agreed.

“We could take Taeyeon too,” Sunny mused.  “I mean, it might make her feel better.”

Yuri nodded.  “Do you have anywhere in mind?” she asked.

 

------

 

Taeyeon walked quickly to the front door, wearing only her bathrobe.  She wasn’t wanting any visitors right now, and she really had to work to get rid of them quickly.  She opened the door slightly, just enough to put her head around the corner.

“Hi, Taengoo,” Sunny smiled sweetly.

“What do you want, Sunny?” Taeyeon hissed, impatient and scared.

“We were just nearby and wondered if you wanted to come and grab something to eat with us,” Sunny offered.

“No, now isn’t a good time,” Taeyeon hurried.

“Oh … I’m sorry, I shou-,” Sunny looked at her feet.

Suddenly, all colour drained from Taeyeon’s face and her eyes widened in pure fear, whilst Sunny’s widened in shock and disbelief.  A voice, light, cheery, distinct and very female, called out.  “Taengoo?  Is my Byun-Taeyeon coming into the shower with me?”

Taeyeon shook her head at Sunny, pleading with her.

“It’s ok,” Sunny rambled quickly.  “I heard nothing, nothing happened, I’ll speak to you another time, you just go back and I’ll meet Yuri, no one will know, I won’t say a word, I’ll just go,” she turned and walked away, still rambling.  Taeyeon shut the door and leaned against it, breathing heavily.

Peeking seductively around the corner was an equally undressed Jessica Jung.  “Well?” she asked, before noticing Taeyeon’s face.  “What’s happened?” she asked, walking to her and holding her.

“Sunny just heard you,” Taeyeon hissed, her eyes still showing fear.

Jessica joined her friend in shock.  “S-S-S-Sunny?” she asked.  “Oh god, this is bad.”

“No,” Taeyeon held Jessica close to her.  “I know Sunny won’t say anything.  I know she’ll keep us a secret.”

“How?!?!” Jessica almost cried.  “How can you guarantee that?”

“She was the only one to know about my feelings for you,” Taeyeon admitted nervously.  “She never said anything to anybody.  Except Tiffany, but that was a slip up, and she’s still trying to earn forgiveness for that, even though I forgave her the instant she told me.  That was back when Sunny wanted to leave and Tiffany was talking her out of it.”

That was why she went for me?” Jessica asked.

Taeyeon nodded.  “I think so.  But she used to have a huge crush on me, so she thought you were taking me away from her.  Up until our sleep over, you … kind of were.”

Jessica shook her head in disbelief.  “She’ll tell Yuri, you know that, right?” Jessica challenged her.

Taeyeon nodded.  “But I know Yuri will keep it too.  She won’t let anyone know,” she assured her.

Jessica’s breathing slowed slightly, whilst Taeyeon’s was almost back to normal.  Taeyeon’s phone played its message alert from the sofa, and she went to answer it.  As she read the screen, she shook her head and laughed a little, completely relaxing back into her usual demeanour.

“What?” Jessica asked.

“It’s that little sarcastic , Sunny,” Taeyeon smiled.  “Look.”

Jessica took the phone from her and read the message that their diminutive bandmate had sent.  It read “I promise nobody will find out, not unless you decide to come out.  I’m so glad you’ve finally got your woman, just as I have mine.  Also, can I get you guys anything?  Some snacks?  A ?  Let me know!”  Her expression quickly quietened and her jaw dropped at Sunny’s use of Mrs George’s quote from Mean Girls.  “That !” she laughed.

“At least we know our secret is safe,” Taeyeon smiled.

Jessica typed away at the screen and handed it back to Taeyeon.  She laughed at Jessica’s attempt to one-up her: “No thanks, Sunny, but when we meet, you two can’t sit with us! Jess x”  The pair were in hysterics however at Sunny’s response: “Oh, you are the nastiest I’ve ever met!  And before you ask, no, ‘girl ’ isn’t a carb!”  When Jessica would try to one-up Sunny, Sunny always managed to two-up her, and yet still she tried.

“She’s with Yuri and they’re googling quotes now,” Taeyeon laughed, taking the handset from Jessica.  “You fugly !” she typed, sending the facetious, albeit newly-rendered pathetic insult to her.

It didn’t take long before Sunny’s reply came back: “So coffee?  Tomorrow, noon?  Tell us everything?”

Taeyeon sighed and showed Jessica the message.  The conceding sigh, the surrendering shake of her head and the submitting smile told Taeyeon it was fine.  “Sure,” she replied, “Now leave us alone!”  With that, she tossed her phone onto the sofa nearby and wrapped her arms seductively around Jessica’s neck.  “Now,” she purred, “didn’t I hear someone mentioning something about a shower?”

 

------