Your Idiot

Idiot

I slowly churned my now soggy cereal in my bowl as I stared across the room at the beautiful creature whose name was Onew. His fringe fell beautifully in his eyes as he shook with laughter.  I sighed resting my head on my hand. I had picked the perfect spot to shamelessly watch him at this table, on purpose of course.

“Seriously, have some dignity.” My friend, Key, sighed and pushed my shoulder causing me to drop my spoon and spill milk on the table.

“Thanks a lot.” I answered sourly and grabbed a napkin, wiping up the mess I made. I couldn’t afford to have Onew see me a mess.

He snickered and sat back in his seat, “Why don’t you just say hi to him?”

“Because then he’ll know I’m watching him.” I glared at Key and threw my spoon in my bowl breakfast long forgotten.

“But you do.” Key crossed his arms challenging me.

I opened my mouth to retort but realized I had nothing to say back, so I grumbled and pushed my bowl away. It’s not like I sat there everyday and watched him. I did it often, but not all the time. I was too scared to go up to him and actually talk to him. What would a guy as perfect as he was go out with a clumsy, crazy girl like me?

Suddenly, there was movement on the other side of the room. My eyes snapped back to Onew’s table. He was walking towards to the kitchen to throw away his plate.

“.”

I was ‘conveniently’ sitting right next to the kitchen so he would have to walk past my table. He would have to walk past my table. My table.

“Quick,” I shuffled around trying to hide my face, “Act like we weren’t just talking about him.”

Key snorted, “You’re actually pathetic.” He sat back and crossed his arms snickering at me.

I glared at him and quickly tried to pretend that I was way too interested in my phone than any other normal person. I looked out of the corner of my eye to see Onew throwing his stuff away. He turned around and began to walk past our table. I tensed as I could literally feel him next to me.

“Hey, Onew.” Key waved. My eyes widened as Onew looked over at us.

He smiled and waved back, “Key, hey.” And then he proceeded to walk out the cafeteria.

I literally threw my phone on the table and began to spit out questions at Key.

“Wait, you know him?”

“Where did you two meet?”

“Is he single?”

“Does he like anyone?”

“Are you guys best friends?”

Key snickered and calmly picked up his plate and headed to throw it away. I grabbed my stuff and clamored after him.

“Don’t ignore me!” I ran after him and grabbed his arm.

,He leisurely walked out the cafeteria, “Don’t you have a class, like, now.”

I frantically took out my phone. 9:27. My class was at 9:30

“Crap,” I stuffed my phone back in my pocket, “I’m going to be late.”  I rushed out the cafeteria and booked it to class.

I threw open the door only to be greeted by a full room of people.

“You’re late,” my teacher rolled her eyes, “As usual.”

“I’m sorry,” I sulked over to my seat. Maybe one day I would be on time to something, but apparently today was not my day.

I riffled through my train wreck of a backpack for a pencil only to be greeted by every other oddity but the thing I needed.

I sighed and turned to my right to ask for a pencil only to run into a familiar blonde. I gulped. I knew the back of that head anywhere. It was Onew.

“You’re got to be kidding me.” I muttered to myself.

Screw writing, I decided to take out my laptop to take notes. I pulled it out my bag and opened it only to be greeted with loud music. I fumbled to turn it off only to have the whole class stop and look my way. The worst part was that it was probably the most gangster rap song I could possibly play.

“Oh my god, I’m so sorry.” I was praying so hard for the floor to collapse and swallow me up.

The teacher glared at me but finally turned and continued the lesson.

I felt a light tap on my shoulder and I turned to find Onew smiling over at me. Was I dreaming? I think my mouth even fell open a little bit.

“Nice job,” he snickered, “You’re actually hilarious.”

Come on, say something to him. I willed my mouth to move, for me to say something. Finally the message got to my mouth.

I giggled girlishly, “Gee, thanks.”

He adjusted his orange snapback, “No, I really mean it.” He gave me a wide smile and then moved his attention back to the lesson.

I think I could have died and it would be okay because Onew had called me funny. He called me funny. Me!

I sat back in my seat giving myself a mental pat on the back. You done, good. You done good.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

Here I was a few days later at a frat party on a Friday night. I was leaning against the wall watching everybody else. The flashing lights had me feeling like I was epileptic. I shifted uncomfortably in my short skirt that Key had convinced me to wear.

“Are you sure about this skirt, I’m pretty sure that if I bent over everyone would get a glorious view of my backside,” I snorted and drank whatever concoction was in my cup.

He rolled his eyes, “Could you just relax you look great.”

“Are you sure Onew is coming to the party?” I whined.

As if on cue Onew walked into the room his orange snapback glowing in the UV lights. I took a swig of my drink to gain some confidence. He looked around and locked eyes with Key and I. He turned and began to walk our way.

“Oh my god, Key he’s coming thing way. I need to go.” I turned to make a run for it but Key grabbed my arm.

“You’re talking to him if it kills you.” An evil grin spread across his face. I wanted to slap him but Onew was already stopping in front of us.

“Hey,” his eyes folded into little crescents and I swear I almost died.

Key and Onew began talking while I awkwardly stood next to them. I nervously picked some imaginary lint from my skirt. What was I supposed to do? Should I inject myself into the conversation? Pretend I needed to pee and never come back? Stab myself with someone’s stilettos? I mulled over the options in my head, but before I could make a decision it seemed that Key had already decided for me.

“Hey, I’m going to get a drink,” he slowly inched away, “I’ll be back guys.” He left with a wink.

Onew turned to me, “You look great.”

My eyes went wide and I blurted out, “Yeah, you always look good.” Note to self: Learn to shut up.

“Oh really,” he smirked as he brought the cup to his lips.

I panicked, “You know what I mean…” I mumbled taking a big swig of the alcohol.

“You been listening to any rap lately?” He leaned against the wall next me.

I made a noise of disapproval, “You’re the worst! That was so embarrassing for me!”

“It was actually so great.” He shrugged, “I just got into class and I was already falling asleep.”

“You get eight hours of sleep but it’s in class.” I giggled.

He laughed, “I swear if it weren’t for your gangster music it would have been nine hours of sleep.” His laugh was gorgeous. I wanted to take it and somehow save it so I could here it whenever I wanted to.

His laughter finally died down and he smiled down at me. I smiled back at him, feeling a little more confident and buzzed. The alcohol was going to my head making me feel good.

“Can I have your number?” he pulled out his phone hopefully.

I bit my lip, “O-of course you can.” I can’t believe Onew was asking for my number. I was in heaven.

“Hey, I need to go but I’ll text you later, ok?” he took back his phone and walked away. I stared after him not believing my luck. I clutched my phone to my chest like it was a gold nugget.

Suddenly, Key appeared at my side making me jump.

“God, Key, give me some warning!” I wiped at my shirt where I spilled my drink.

“You’re welcome.” he smiled smugly.

I refused to acknowledge him, “Shut up and let’s dance.”

I dragged a hysterically laughing Key over to the dance floor. Actually I was thankful but I wasn’t going to admit it.

 

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

I sighed as I read the page I seemed to have been reading for eternity. My philosophy class was going to be the death of me. I looked over at the clock, which read 11:35 and slumped down on my desk. I was nowhere near done all because I decided to procrastinate all day. I took a sip of now cold cup of coffee and tried to focus again. I finally finished that one page when I heard loud music. I looked at my phone. Nope. It wasn’t my computer, which was lying closed on my bed. I opened my door and looked down the hall only to find nothing.

Suddenly I felt a buzz in my pocket. Onew.

It’s me idiot XP

I went back in my room and pulled back the curtains to see Onew from down below.

I opened the window and was greeted by the rap song I was blasting from my laptop the other day.

“Onew!” I yelled, “Are you trying to get yourself written up?”

“Why don’t you come down here and stop me?” he waggled his eyebrow teasingly.

I huffed and shut the window. Throwing on some shoes I practically ran downstairs. I ran over to him as he twirled around the small speakers in his hand. I jumped up and took the speaker from him finally turning off the music.

“Aw,” he pouted, “That was my favorite song!”

“You really are an idiot,” I chuckled, “What are you doing outside my window at 11:30 at night?”

“Well, I was doing homework,” he tapped his chin trying to look like he was deep in thought, “But I couldn’t stop thinking about this girl.”

My heartbeat picked up its pace. “You couldn’t?”

He looked over at me, “I thought, ‘Wow, this really is stupid. I’m sitting here studying bio instead of spending this time with the girl that I like.”

My thoughts stopped cold as he stopped in front of me.

“Aren’t you going to ask me an important question?” he whispered.

I was distracted by how good he smelled and by how captivating his eyes were close up.

“W-what’s the question?” I breathed.

He his lips nervously, “Who’s the girl I was thinking about?”

My breath hitched when I felt him grab my hand, “Who is she, Onew?”

A smile spread across his lips, “It’s you.”

He slowly began to close the space between us and I closed my eyes. I felt his breath fan across my lips as he hesitated.

“If you don’t kiss me I swear I will punch you in the balls.” I growled.

He chuckled and finally put his lips on mine. He pulled my arms around his neck and I smiled into the kiss. Suddenly loud music began blasting from the speakers and I jumped away from him.

“Are you kidding?” In my zeal I had somehow managed to turn the speakers on. I shut it off and threw it on the grass.

He rolled his eyes and came over, wrapping me in his arms, “You really are an idiot, but it’s alright cause you’re my idiot.”

“Was this your idea of a confession, Onew?” I smiled at him teasingly.

He scoffed and pulled me closer, “You know, from what I saw you really enjoyed it.”

I played with his hair, “I didn’t see any fireworks or unicorns shooting rainbows out their , but I’ll take it.”

“You’re damn right you will.” He growled pulling me in for another kiss only to be interrupted again by the sprinklers.

We screamed and jumped away from each other for the second time.

“I swear I’m going to kill somebody!” I pulled at my now drenched clothes.

“Not if I get you first!” Onew ran at me with his arms outstretched.

I screamed and ran away. He followed me laughing through the courtyard. We didn’t care that we were running and yelling through campus at 12 in the morning, we were idiots, but at least we had each other.